What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homeland (1 Viewer)

she sure seemed to appear charmed by him in the closing scene...I say he hits it :mellow:
Yeah, but like most anything in the show, whether it's real or not is the big question. I'm on the side of her pretending so she can stay close to him and figure out if he's a threat. Now, does he realize that and is he paying her the same way?
Why would he do that knowing what he already knows about her? The only thing would be to try and turn her also, which is crazy. :popcorn:
Friends close, enemies closer. Hed be able to steer her this way and that and try to glean what she knows. Seems like manipulation is the whole theme of the show.
This is true, but I don't think it is that simple for either of them (who are both trying to manipulate each other). I think there is something genuine going on too that will complicate matters for both of them.
Possibly, but I don't think there's been any evidence of that yet. She went to the meeting with the sole purpose of keeping tabs on him because her tap warrant ended. And he already knows from his debriefing that she's intensely interested in Abu Nazir so his motive to keeping track of her, now that she "coincidentally" showed up at his meeting, is far, far more dubious than romantic. Sure, could be a mutual fling occurring, but so far the motives for either aren't in that vein
I agree with Siggy. I interpreted it as fairly genuine based on her reactions, like her facial expressions (which he couldn't see bc her back was to him)
She did seem to enjoy watching him get out of the shower.

I've started to consider the following theory after tonight's episode:

Saul is or should become a target of the investigation, as he may have been turned (not Brody). We learned tonight that Saul speaks Arabic, travels frequently, spent 3+ years in Malaysian prison, and most importantly, held the prisoner's hands by the wrists prior to the interrogation, which would have enabled him to slip the prisoner the razor. Saul also would have the inside info to tip off the couple living by the airport about the tail. At the very least, the show could develop this angle to draw out the suspicion on Brody.

Last edited by a moderator:
'The Indestructible said:

Saul is or should become a target of the investigation, as he may have been turned (not Brody). We learned tonight that Saul speaks Arabic, travels frequently, spent 3+ years in Malaysian prison, and most importantly, held the prisoner's hands by the wrists prior to the interrogation, which would have enabled him to slip the prisoner the razor. Saul also would have the inside info to tip off the couple living by the airport about the tail. At the very least, the show could develop this angle to draw out the suspicion on Brody.
I think that's a very workable theory after tonight. Though a minor correction, it was 3 months, not years. I'm not sure if the timing works out for him to be the guy that the dude in Baghdad said was turned, but that doesn't mean there aren't more. Personally, I think it's another layer of 'what if' that they're laying down so that nearly every action anyone takes can be construed as both nefarious or benign. Sets up a nice crapload of paranoia to sort through.Also, big :thumbdown: for the haircut. And enough with Mike. Do something about it or get rid of him. It's starting to detract from the story with their weekly staredowns.Good episode, I'm wanting to call it great but I thought it was a little too easy to find the address.

she sure seemed to appear charmed by him in the closing scene...I say he hits it :mellow:
Yeah, but like most anything in the show, whether it's real or not is the big question. I'm on the side of her pretending so she can stay close to him and figure out if he's a threat. Now, does he realize that and is he paying her the same way?
Why would he do that knowing what he already knows about her? The only thing would be to try and turn her also, which is crazy. :popcorn:
Friends close, enemies closer. Hed be able to steer her this way and that and try to glean what she knows. Seems like manipulation is the whole theme of the show.
This is true, but I don't think it is that simple for either of them (who are both trying to manipulate each other). I think there is something genuine going on too that will complicate matters for both of them.
Possibly, but I don't think there's been any evidence of that yet. She went to the meeting with the sole purpose of keeping tabs on him because her tap warrant ended. And he already knows from his debriefing that she's intensely interested in Abu Nazir so his motive to keeping track of her, now that she "coincidentally" showed up at his meeting, is far, far more dubious than romantic. Sure, could be a mutual fling occurring, but so far the motives for either aren't in that vein
I agree with Siggy. I interpreted it as fairly genuine based on her reactions, like her facial expressions (which he couldn't see bc her back was to him)
She is bi-polar so maybe she won't even realize what's going on, but she seems to be completely obsessed with exposing him. To the point where she's willing to constantly stick her neck out to glean any little piece of info she can get about it (even in the interrogation tonight or Brody's original de-brief). I can't see her having a little crush in light of her absolute conviction that he's a terrorist plant. She, imo, looked pleased because she was setting her hook in him.

I missed what you saw. If your theory is true, I think he would let Carrie hang herself rather than to warn her about what her actions may lead to.

Yep. Was thinking something similar to this. I'm going with Brody not being a terrorist.

Guys if Brody wasn't a terrorist then why risk going to meet guard and have guard spill the beans about who really killed the other pow?

Guys if Brody wasn't a terrorist then why risk going to meet guard and have guard spill the beans about who really killed the other pow?
I hate you :P
wait...was this something revealed in episode 1 (I missed it, and just saw recaps)???
Yes - flashbacks have Brody beating his buddy to death but confused and comforted by the terrorist. The flashbacks sometimes show him being abused and other times being "trained".But what's weird is when he buries him he's upset that they are about to kill him. So I don't understand how he could be able to beat him to death BUT then be afraid when he buries him. I guess torture does that ;)

Because if the guard was there for the brainwashing then he'd be in on the charade and would know to keep quiet about it.

I hate you :P
wait...was this something revealed in episode 1 (I missed it, and just saw recaps)???
Yes - flashbacks have Brody beating his buddy to death but confused and comforted by the terrorist. The flashbacks sometimes show him being abused and other times being "trained".But what's weird is when he buries him he's upset that they are about to kill him. So I don't understand how he could be able to beat him to death BUT then be afraid when he buries him. I guess torture does that ;)
hmmm that is a twist! so he was just blowing smoke when he said in the 1-on-1 interrogation that "you killed my friend"? thanks for filling me in :thumbup:

Because if the guard was there for the brainwashing then he'd be in on the charade and would know to keep quiet about it.
Only way guard doesn't spill beans about this American hero now, is if he is still good with the terrorists. Why else would he not want to make him look bad?

Only way guard doesn't spill beans about this American hero now, is if he is still good with the terrorists. Why else would he not want to make him look bad?
I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I didn't get any inkling that the prisoner was on the outs with the terrorist organization. The reason that Abu Nazir would want to kill him is to keep him quiet. If the guard is still believing in the plan*, which of course is to have Brody be a terrorist, then he'd keep quiet about Brody's identity and go along with whatever Brody says.I think we're saying the same thing, but I'm not sure who the bolded "he" is, the prisoner or Brody.

* assuming that Brody is in fact a terrorist plant.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I didn't get any inkling that the prisoner was on the outs with the terrorist organization. The reason that Abu Nazir would want to kill him is to keep him quiet. If the guard is still believing in the plan*, which of course is to have Brody be a terrorist, then he'd keep quiet about Brody's identity and go along with whatever Brody says.I think we're saying the same thing, but I'm not sure who the bolded "he" is, the prisoner or Brody.

he was in reference to Brody

I know I use hyperbole alot, but I can't remember a show which was this deep and suspenseful and totally logical after only five episodes. Great shows like the Wire and Breaking Bad took a while to really start paying off

So we're saying the same thing: the guard kept quiet about who killed Brody's buddy because both are still into the plan. Although whether or not Brody really is is up to no good is the whole point of the show.

So we're saying the same thing: the guard kept quiet about who killed Brody's buddy because both are still into the plan. Although whether or not Brody really is is up to no good is the whole point of the show.
agreed!But for those who weren't sure if Brody was ever in talks to be a double agent, this proves Carries assertion that he was turned (or he made them think he turned)

Now if he will truly be with terrorists is up for us to see

agreed!But for those who weren't sure if Brody was ever in talks to be a double agent, this proves Carries assertion that he was turned (or he made them think he turned)

Now if he will truly be with terrorists is up for us to see
Or at least as far as a low level guard knows about the plan.

:lmao: @ the haircut comments

when they showed her with the new 'do, my first thought was "still hot.....but the fellas in the FFA aren't gonna like this"

The guard killed himself so he wouldn't give up any more info, and because he's afraid that Abu Nazir will kill his family too, right (not knowing that the CIA has them safe)? We presume Nazir has the intel about him being captured.

The guard showed that he cared more about his family than the plot to attack the US when he gave up the email address. But if he really cared, he would have provided the info more quickly, unless the guard knows/believes Nazir has a mole in the CIA. And as long as he don't spill any vital info, the CIA mole won't alert Nazir.

At this point, I think Nazir knows almost everything the CIA knows (all intel below Este's level) via a mole.

Did Carrie tell Brody that the guard's family was safe?

Yep. Was thinking something similar to this. I'm going with Brody not being a terrorist.FWIW, I think what's said in the spoiler is unlikely. I'll put my reasoning in spoiler tags too I guess, although I don't really think any of this needs to be since it's already aired and it's just theories:
When Saul sees the terrorist's dead body on the video, what he said was not Arabic but the Kaddish, the Jewish prayer for mourners. A Jew that is friendly with Islamic terrorists would be a little too ridiculous of a plot twist.

Yep. Was thinking something similar to this. I'm going with Brody not being a terrorist.
FWIW, I think what's said in the spoiler is unlikely. I'll put my reasoning in spoiler tags too I guess, although I don't really think any of this needs to be since it's already aired and it's just theories:
When Saul sees the terrorist's dead body on the video, what he said was not Arabic but the Kaddish, the Jewish prayer for mourners. A Jew that is friendly with Islamic terrorists would be a little too ridiculous of a plot twist.
But it allows for another level of "what if" for the writers to play around with. Adding another object of "is he or isn't he" isn't a bad thing imo.

FWIW, I think what's said in the spoiler is unlikely. I'll put my reasoning in spoiler tags too I guess, although I don't really think any of this needs to be since it's already aired and it's just theories:

But it allows for another level of "what if" for the writers to play around with. Adding another object of "is he or isn't he" isn't a bad thing imo_OK, it's silly to have this stuff in "spoiler" tag- we're not talking about inside info or rumors or anything. Stuff like this is exactly what the thread is for, right? So let's just discuss:I don't see much ambiguity with Saul. IIRC there was a mention of some link between these guys and Hezbollah or some other predominantly anti-Israeli terrorist group (as opposed to an Al-Qaeda type group for whom Israel is just one of many policy reasons they despise the U.S.). Or, even if not, we've now got a guy (named Saul, for heaven's sake) who is not just a Jew, but also religious enough that his immediate reaction to a death is to recite the Kaddish from memory- and he was alone when he did that, so it wasn't for show. In addition, we're talking about someone devoted enough to U.S. defense/intelligence to ruin his marriage for it. And he's married to a presumably Hindu Indian woman. I can't possibly imagine a storyline they could create that would make it plausible for a man like that to secretly work with Islamic terrorists.

But it allows for another level of "what if" for the writers to play around with. Adding another object of "is he or isn't he" isn't a bad thing imo_OK, it's silly to have this stuff in "spoiler" tag- we're not talking about inside info or rumors or anything. Stuff like this is exactly what the thread is for, right? So let's just discuss:I don't see much ambiguity with Saul. IIRC there was a mention of some link between these guys and Hezbollah or some other predominantly anti-Israeli terrorist group (as opposed to an Al-Qaeda type group for whom Israel is just one of many policy reasons they despise the U.S.). Or, even if not, we've now got a guy (named Saul, for heaven's sake) who is not just a Jew, but also religious enough that his immediate reaction to a death is to recite the Kaddish from memory- and he was alone when he did that, so it wasn't for show. In addition, we're talking about someone devoted enough to U.S. defense/intelligence to ruin his marriage for it. And he's married to a presumably Hindu Indian woman. I can't possibly imagine a storyline they could create that would make it plausible for a man like that to secretly work with Islamic terrorists.

The writers probably intended for viewers to think he was reciting Arabic to throw people off. I think it's unlikely he has turned.

The writers probably intended for viewers to think he was reciting Arabic to throw people off. I think it's unlikely he has turned.Yeah, I did think it was a weird decision by the writers. I'm Jewish, and I didn't even recognize it until the last line. You just assume Arabic until you hear otherwise.

But it allows for another level of "what if" for the writers to play around with. Adding another object of "is he or isn't he" isn't a bad thing imo.
OK, it's silly to have this stuff in "spoiler" tag- we're not talking about inside info or rumors or anything. Stuff like this is exactly what the thread is for, right? So let's just discuss:I don't see much ambiguity with Saul. IIRC there was a mention of some link between these guys and Hezbollah or some other predominantly anti-Israeli terrorist group (as opposed to an Al-Qaeda type group for whom Israel is just one of many policy reasons they despise the U.S.). Or, even if not, we've now got a guy (named Saul, for heaven's sake) who is not just a Jew, but also religious enough that his immediate reaction to a death is to recite the Kaddish from memory- and he was alone when he did that, so it wasn't for show. In addition, we're talking about someone devoted enough to U.S. defense/intelligence to ruin his marriage for it. And he's married to a presumably Hindu Indian woman. I can't possibly imagine a storyline they could create that would make it plausible for a man like that to secretly work with Islamic terrorists.

The writers probably intended for viewers to think he was reciting Arabic to throw people off. I think it's unlikely he has turned.Yeah, I did think it was a weird decision by the writers. I'm Jewish, and I didn't even recognize it until the last line. You just assume Arabic until you hear otherwise.Well, it got me. I would've assumed it was Hebrew (or something Jewish if it's not Hebrew) probably if he hadn't spoken Arabic to the prisoner.And I agree, even without that knowledge that you dropped, that him being turned is exceedingly unlikely, however that doesn't stop it from being a plotline and adding a layer of possible deception. Most everything is double sided in the show, with reasons for the characters' actions that are both nefarious or reasonable. The show plays on us not knowing which it is. Which is what I like about it.

eta: And I agree, spoilers should be unnecessary unless it's info that's not available to the current episode, like knowledge from the Israeli show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear so many like it. Came into the middle of the 1st episode and stopped watching because I wanted to start over from the beginning and forgot to check it out until now. Supposedly it is based on an Israeli tv series that is really good.

Absolutely LOVE the cast. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Morena Baccarin, Mandy Patinkin. All people that have in been in stuff I have really enjoyed over the years.
I wish the OP would have put her name in the thread description. I would've been in on day 1. :wub:

Glad to hear so many like it. Came into the middle of the 1st episode and stopped watching because I wanted to start over from the beginning and forgot to check it out until now. Supposedly it is based on an Israeli tv series that is really good.

Absolutely LOVE the cast. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Morena Baccarin, Mandy Patinkin. All people that have in been in stuff I have really enjoyed over the years.
I wish the OP would have put her name in the thread description. I would've been in on day 1. :wub:
just saw on wiki, some no name actress was cast in her role and even filmed the pilot episode and they made the change after pilot

I'm caught up. So far it's pretty good. I hope the show doesn't turn crappy with silly twists.

One thing that bothers me is Carrie didn't report what the prisoner told her in the first episode about a turned POW. I know it's a tv show but that seems pretty illogical.

I'm caught up. So far it's pretty good. I hope the show doesn't turn crappy with silly twists.
agreed, already enough set in motion to engross us - as MT alluded to, dont go Lost/JJ Abrams on us, and think that endless twists are a substitution for an actual story.

One thing that bothers me is Carrie didn't report what the prisoner told her in the first episode about a turned POW. I know it's a tv show but that seems pretty illogical.
You know, I never even thought about that. Good point and thanks for ruining the entire premise of the show ;)

That Saul polygraph was like the writers were here reading this thread. I was cracking up when he took the first test and "failed".

The whole Brody/Carrie thing doesn't make any sense. WTF is she thinking? Is it her mental issues?

Users who are viewing this thread