What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

The Gambit is the 2nd largest publication in town. They just released this weeks version with a big article on all the new (and old) bbq in town...i grace the cover. I should be the first image you see here @ their online version

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice writeup man! Be sure to grab a few copies to file away and get framed for your own location when you open

The Gambit is the 2nd largest publication in town. They just released this weeks version with a big article on all the new (and old) bbq in town...i grace the cover. I should be the first image you see here @ their online version

Awesome :banned: Got to be even better for you that you dominate the beginning of the article and that the joint isn't even mentioned until all the way at the end.

Just read the entire thread cover to cover and liked the FB page. I feel like I know you now. What an awesome sight to see what you've accomplished in such a short time.

I've chimed in on Otis' thread and have the entrepreneurial bug too. You are an inspiration and I truly appreciate you posting consistently even though I'm sure you're dead tired most of the time.

Your descriptions trigger my saliva glands. Reading about the new stuffed baked potato epiphany put it over the top. I've never been to NOLA but McClure's Barbeque will be my first stop when I do. This MN Vikings FBG is pulling for you.

Just read the entire thread cover to cover and liked the FB page. I feel like I know you now. What an awesome sight to see what you've accomplished in such a short time. I've chimed in on Otis' thread and have the entrepreneurial bug too. You are an inspiration and I truly appreciate you posting consistently even though I'm sure you're dead tired most of the time. Your descriptions trigger my saliva glands. Reading about the new stuffed baked potato epiphany put it over the top. I've never been to NOLA but McClure's Barbeque will be my first stop when I do. This MN Vikings FBG is pulling for you.
:thumbup: Very cool. Free beer for the hits on Farve :bag:

Congrats Mr Big Time :thumbup: . Cripes, everytime I hit your website, I salivate. Those ribs look dee-lish. My buddy's Dad (look out for "Old Man Roy") who's fighting cancer is making a trip to NOLA and will be making a stop over to your place mid-April.

Just read the entire thread cover to cover and liked the FB page. I feel like I know you now. What an awesome sight to see what you've accomplished in such a short time. I've chimed in on Otis' thread and have the entrepreneurial bug too. You are an inspiration and I truly appreciate you posting consistently even though I'm sure you're dead tired most of the time. Your descriptions trigger my saliva glands. Reading about the new stuffed baked potato epiphany put it over the top. I've never been to NOLA but McClure's Barbeque will be my first stop when I do. This MN Vikings FBG is pulling for you.
:thumbup: Very cool. Free beer for the hits on Farve :bag:
LOL I didn't want to hijack with Bounty-Gate talk, but since you mentioned compensation, can you throw in a forfeited 1st Rd NFL Draft Pick (or Drew Brees or Colston)? TIA

They say luck is the residue of design. That said, I am simply amazed at how you basically subleased a space from an existing restaurant (a concept that seems unique to NOLA, the pop-up), put out a superior product AND managed to secure all this positive press in such a short time. The positive press you are getting is definitely the product of you and your hard work, but I know many people in the business who managed to get a space, put out great food but failed on the most important part, getting the word out. You've nailed it. Tipsy, what is your secret to getting all of this press?

They say luck is the residue of design. That said, I am simply amazed at how you basically subleased a space from an existing restaurant (a concept that seems unique to NOLA, the pop-up), put out a superior product AND managed to secure all this positive press in such a short time. The positive press you are getting is definitely the product of you and your hard work, but I know many people in the business who managed to get a space, put out great food but failed on the most important part, getting the word out. You've nailed it. Tipsy, what is your secret to getting all of this press?
Not to answer for Tipsy, but I'm sure his connections that he developed running the show at Dante's for years has helped him a ton. It's all about people and connections, and Tipsy's got them in spades in NOLA.Also, pop-up restaurants are happening all over. I actually had an idea at one point on doing a "Zip-car" for restaurant space for pop-ups and one-offs.

Not to answer for Tipsy, but I'm sure his connections that he developed running the show at Dante's for years has helped him a ton. It's all about people and connections, and Tipsy's got them in spades in NOLA.Also, pop-up restaurants are happening all over. I actually had an idea at one point on doing a "Zip-car" for restaurant space for pop-ups and one-offs.
I give a ton of credit for catching the wave @ its absolute crest here in NOLA for Pop ups, The fact that Dante's did one first at another restaurant, I am inside of Dante's Kitchen which is one of the TOP restaurants in this city food wise, I ran said Dante's for most of its run (until December) and a ton of people in this city know me because of it. The constant facebooking & twittering, the posting here, the word of mouth with my wife who works @ cities biggest ad firm, the school we are part of..etc, and I am doing what I love & apparently doing it well.I guess.. :shrug:

since the gambit article this week....

business has doubled if not closer to triple. Full restaurant 4 days in a row within half hour of opening. Luckily I anticipated an uptick in biz and cooked a ton more food...still ran out all shifts this week, including a couple of times well before 1:00.

Today I try to cook for a catering gig and not run out of lunch food again. Good..good..good problems to have. :excited:

since the gambit article this week....business has doubled if not closer to triple. Full restaurant 4 days in a row within half hour of opening. Luckily I anticipated an uptick in biz and cooked a ton more food...still ran out all shifts this week, including a couple of times well before 1:00. Today I try to cook for a catering gig and not run out of lunch food again. Good..good..good problems to have. :excited:
Awesome Tipsy!Questions: Logistically, aren't you restricted in how much food you can cook in the Lang or do you have capacity to spare still?What happens when you open your own space, cooking-wise? Still cook outside? Another Lang? Build BBQ facilities inside? Just curious.

since the gambit article this week....business has doubled if not closer to triple. Full restaurant 4 days in a row within half hour of opening. Luckily I anticipated an uptick in biz and cooked a ton more food...still ran out all shifts this week, including a couple of times well before 1:00. Today I try to cook for a catering gig and not run out of lunch food again. Good..good..good problems to have. :excited:
:excited: Attaboy!

They say luck is the residue of design. That said, I am simply amazed at how you basically subleased a space from an existing restaurant (a concept that seems unique to NOLA, the pop-up),
Pop-ups are not unique to NOLA. Honestly, the concept dates back centuries. Pop ups are popular and have been growing in popularity in big cities for awhile in this type of incarnation. What is more normal is for someone to pop up at different sites on different days.

Awesome Tipsy!Questions: Logistically, aren't you restricted in how much food you can cook in the Lang or do you have capacity to spare still?What happens when you open your own space, cooking-wise? Still cook outside? Another Lang? Build BBQ facilities inside? Just curious.
She is close to capacity this morning, but I'm cooking enough to feed 120 people right now, and mostly ribs (catering for later)which take up way too much space per pound..could feed 400 with just butts i can cram on it. I will need a bigger pit when I get my own space...and I do hope to build out a screened in porch of sorts for the smoker(s).

They say luck is the residue of design. That said, I am simply amazed at how you basically subleased a space from an existing restaurant (a concept that seems unique to NOLA, the pop-up),
Pop-ups are not unique to NOLA. Honestly, the concept dates back centuries. Pop ups are popular and have been growing in popularity in big cities for awhile in this type of incarnation. What is more normal is for someone to pop up at different sites on different days.
I'd define what I am doing as moving beyond pop up. I did that in November. Now that I am here, that pop up feel has been replaced by a total different mood ...like dating a girl about to move to Norway but you have no idea when that is happening.

Awesome Tipsy!

Questions: Logistically, aren't you restricted in how much food you can cook in the Lang or do you have capacity to spare still?

What happens when you open your own space, cooking-wise? Still cook outside? Another Lang? Build BBQ facilities inside? Just curious.
She is close to capacity this morning, but I'm cooking enough to feed 120 people right now, and mostly ribs (catering for later)which take up way too much space per pound..could feed 400 with just butts i can cram on it. I will need a bigger pit when I get my own space...and I do hope to build out a screened in porch of sorts for the smoker(s).
Bigger pit or a second smoker? ;) There are inherent inefficiencies in huge pits that can cause problems with smaller cooks.

IMO pick up a Backwoods Professional and use the Lang as a whole hog / overflow / catering unit. :yes:

Capacity:(approx)

8 20 lb turkey's

40 slabs of ribs

350 lb of briskets

350 lb boston butts

I am never going to get in my own space working 70+ hours a week. So lunches end starting this Friday when I have to go set up for the bbq cook off this weekend. Hopefully one night a week will appease my customers...it has after all been the best shift every week and I should be ok financially for a while.

After this weekends competition I am going to focus full time on biz plan building and fundraising while keeping an eye out for spaces to get into.

250K. That can't be too hard to find can it?

I have wanted to open a food truck 'restaurant' for the last few years. I'm closely following this, tipsy. I really would love to pick your brain (and others) down-the-road and see how viable that idea is (food truck restaurant, not a BBQ restaurant) up here in Denver.
Interesting article here about the food truck craze: How America Became a Food Truck Nation.
Been thinking along those lines myself for some years. Around here though the market is getting saturated.Good Luck with your latest move tipsy! With the good press you've been getting funding might be easier to come by...

I am never going to get in my own space working 70+ hours a week. So lunches end starting this Friday when I have to go set up for the bbq cook off this weekend. Hopefully one night a week will appease my customers...it has after all been the best shift every week and I should be ok financially for a while.After this weekends competition I am going to focus full time on biz plan building and fundraising while keeping an eye out for spaces to get into.250K. That can't be too hard to find can it?
That's quite a let down. The wife and I are going to Biloxi next month and planned to drive over to New Orleans for lunch on the Monday we're there. So it goes. Good luck with your search for financing. I don't think you'll have much trouble finding it with your experience and the publicity and reviews you've been getting.

I am never going to get in my own space working 70+ hours a week. So lunches end starting this Friday when I have to go set up for the bbq cook off this weekend. Hopefully one night a week will appease my customers...it has after all been the best shift every week and I should be ok financially for a while.After this weekends competition I am going to focus full time on biz plan building and fundraising while keeping an eye out for spaces to get into.250K. That can't be too hard to find can it?
:cry: Going to be in NO for the Final Four and was going to try to make it over. I guess I have an excuse for another trip down.

Congrats GB.To play the contrarian (sp?) for the moment, are you afraid that cutting off lunches completely might erode the brand (considering all of the awesome pub you've been getting)? Could you pick the best 3 days out of the week to do lunches and spend the other 2 days on biz stuff?

Could you cut down on the lunches to just a few days a week to keep your clientèle happy? Maybe Mondays and Fridays with the Tuesday night dinner?

I have wanted to open a food truck 'restaurant' for the last few years. I'm closely following this, tipsy. I really would love to pick your brain (and others) down-the-road and see how viable that idea is (food truck restaurant, not a BBQ restaurant) up here in Denver.
Interesting article here about the food truck craze: How America Became a Food Truck Nation.
Trailer food is the craze in Austin these days. Use to be pretty much confined to the South Congress area but last couple of years , trailers are popping up all over town.

PM chet.

I am never going to get in my own space working 70+ hours a week. So lunches end starting this Friday when I have to go set up for the bbq cook off this weekend. Hopefully one night a week will appease my customers...it has after all been the best shift every week and I should be ok financially for a while.

After this weekends competition I am going to focus full time on biz plan building and fundraising while keeping an eye out for spaces to get into.

250K. That can't be too hard to find can it?
PM chet.
Actually, Go here. Buncha FFA riff-raff #####ing about their inability to find yield in a low interest rate environment. Present them with a good business plan and you could probably find 25 to kick in $10k each (I'd consider it). Just don't tell them about all your family vacation plans.

Is it P... artnership LLC imo.

Regarding funding, Kickstarter is a new way that small businesses are able to get funding. My cousin very easily raised 20k. While you may not be able to raise the entire amount that you need(though its possible), you could definitely raise enough to be of significant assistance!

Could you cut down on the lunches to just a few days a week to keep your clientèle happy? Maybe Mondays and Fridays with the Tuesday night dinner?
Good post - Especially the Mondays part!! :P

Congrats GB.To play the contrarian (sp?) for the moment, are you afraid that cutting off lunches completely might erode the brand (considering all of the awesome pub you've been getting)? Could you pick the best 3 days out of the week to do lunches and spend the other 2 days on biz stuff?
I concur. If you change anything up make sure you get the word out on why. People are sheep and rumors fly. You don't want people to think you're cutting back because it's not going well.

Tipsy

This reminds me of the episode of Khloe and Lamar my wife was watching last night. Khloes friend wanted breast implants but she is a pretty girl with a pretty kick ### body. My wife and I agreed she didnt need them and everyone in her life told her she didnt need them. She actually reconsidered and thought she was maybe using the breasts as a crutch for something else.

Moral of the story, she listened to those that love her

Understanding that the work days and hours suck, closing for all lunches might not be the best thing right now. I agree with the others

TipsyThis reminds me of the episode of Khloe and Lamar my wife was watching last night. Khloes friend wanted breast implants but she is a pretty girl with a pretty kick ### body. My wife and I agreed she didnt need them and everyone in her life told her she didnt need them. She actually reconsidered and thought she was maybe using the breasts as a crutch for something else. Moral of the story, she listened to those that love herUnderstanding that the work days and hours suck, closing for all lunches might not be the best thing right now. I agree with the others
Anybody else read this like a S&D post with lubert considering implants?

TipsyThis reminds me of the episode of Khloe and Lamar my wife was watching last night. Khloes friend wanted breast implants but she is a pretty girl with a pretty kick ### body. My wife and I agreed she didnt need them and everyone in her life told her she didnt need them. She actually reconsidered and thought she was maybe using the breasts as a crutch for something else. Moral of the story, she listened to those that love herUnderstanding that the work days and hours suck, closing for all lunches might not be the best thing right now. I agree with the others
Anybody else read this like a S&D post with lubert considering implants?
blows out....

Could you explore hiring someone to help? Not a partner, but a paid employee to run things as you push on the business side.

1. acer2. guster?
Assuming Tipsy wants to go that route, I'll bet it would be pretty simple to do it that way. I think Abraham laid out something like that earlier in this thread. I can think of a few people locally, who I'm pretty sure would want to be in for 5 shares at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread