What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

Voodoo BBQ blows. I would confidently open up a place right next door to it that only served bacon bit and bbq sauce sandwiches.

Here's the way I see this unfolding:

Tipsey opens up in his buddy's warehouse. 6-12 months later, after being insanely successful there, he opens in ANOTHER location. Not a move, a SECOND restaurant. Hires TigerFan to take over operations at the warehouse.

Oh, and in anticipation of this... call it "McClure's Warehouse BBQ". The next one can be "McClure's [insert description here] BBQ", etc.

:popcorn: :banned:

Edited to correct spelling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the way I see this unfolding:Tipsey opens up in his buddy's warehouse. 6-12 months later, after being insanely successful there, he opens in ANOTHER location. Not a move, a SECOND restaurant. Hires TigerFan to take over operations at the warehouse.Oh, and in anticipation of this... call it "McLure's Warehouse BBQ". The next one can be "McLure's [insert description here] BBQ", etc. :popcorn: :banned:
Tell me when you plan to have him open one in NY

'AcerFC said:
'Keerock said:
Here's the way I see this unfolding:Tipsey opens up in his buddy's warehouse. 6-12 months later, after being insanely successful there, he opens in ANOTHER location. Not a move, a SECOND restaurant. Hires TigerFan to take over operations at the warehouse.Oh, and in anticipation of this... call it "McLure's Warehouse BBQ". The next one can be "McLure's [insert description here] BBQ", etc. :popcorn: :banned:
Tell me when you plan to have him open one in NY
There is no decent BBQ in Toronto, I'll call dibs on that one. I could be persuaded to quit flooring to get back into the biz.

1st Competition over....No placing and it felt like a kick to the nuts after being up for 36+ hours :kicksrock:
Be prideful where you are at, Tipsy. You just spent 36 hours with your passion. Yeah it's a kick in the nuts, but 90% of us would give up our right nut to be where you are. Oh...and if you can wait until summer when my divorce is final, count me in as an investor if you are going that route.

1st Competition over....No placing and it felt like a kick to the nuts after being up for 36+ hours :kicksrock:
Be prideful where you are at, Tipsy. You just spent 36 hours with your passion. Yeah it's a kick in the nuts, but 90% of us would give up our right nut to be where you are. Oh...and if you can wait until summer when my divorce is final, count me in as an investor if you are going that route.
I am less concerned with the "contest" results at this point. I know my stuff was top notch bbq....i am finding out a good deal of what was turned in for each category was not bbq...just pig made awesome which is completely cool..i just brought my top bbq. I didnt get fancy & fry a whole pig or make momofuko's pork shoulder roast. Lesson learned. Yet i won't do it different.It does make me want a local KCBS sanctioned event however. I want to kick my fellow bbq restauranteurs butts. and ribs. and .....

I am less concerned with the "contest" results at this point. I know my stuff was top notch bbq....i am finding out a good deal of what was turned in for each category was not bbq...just pig made awesome which is completely cool..i just brought my top bbq. I didnt get fancy & fry a whole pig or make momofuko's pork shoulder roast. Lesson learned. Yet i won't do it different.It does make me want a local KCBS sanctioned event however. I want to kick my fellow bbq restauranteurs butts. and ribs. and .....
...briskets. Briskets is what you were looking for here. :yes: 'just pig made awesome'. That's an interesting way of putting it. In my experiences, competition BBQ is a completely different animal than restaurant-style BBQ, but I've never heard that. I assume this was a non-sanctioned event. Fried whole pig? Were you being facetious?IMO, competitions should really be on the back burner for right now. Going through the transition you're about to start should be enough.GLLLLL and keep making us all envious of your life.

...briskets. Briskets is what you were looking for here. :yes:

'just pig made awesome'. That's an interesting way of putting it. In my experiences, competition BBQ is a completely different animal than restaurant-style BBQ, but I've never heard that. I assume this was a non-sanctioned event. Fried whole pig? Were you being facetious?

IMO, competitions should really be on the back burner for right now. Going through the transition you're about to start should be enough.

GLLLLL and keep making us all envious of your life.
Pig only contest...i would have loved to have had all my stuff. And no...the fried pig was for real.Competition is on the back burner for me except for this event every year (only local chance to cook with others in the park) and my hopefully annual trips to help Icon out @ Memphis in May which I'm headed to this year.

More news on the next step for Tipsy soon.

'just pig made awesome'. That's an interesting way of putting it. In my experiences, competition BBQ is a completely different animal than restaurant-style BBQ, but I've never heard that. I assume this was a non-sanctioned event. Fried whole pig? Were you being facetious?

IMO, competitions should really be on the back burner for right now. Going through the transition you're about to start should be enough.

Pig only contest...i would have loved to have had all my stuff. And no...the fried pig was for real.Competition is on the back burner for me except for this event every year (only local chance to cook with others in the park) and my hopefully annual trips to help Icon out @ Memphis in May which I'm headed to this year.

:popcorn:

:popcorn:
:goodposting:

Competition is on the back burner for me except for this event every year (only local chance to cook with others in the park) and my hopefully annual trips to help Icon out @ Memphis in May which I'm headed to this year.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Can't wait GB... You are gonna be in Hog Heaven. It's like BBQ Disneyland on the banks of the MIssissippi for 4 days. Should be out of this world. Going to get us a meet & greet with the pitmasters of Yazoo's Delta Q(yes, the one from Pitmasters TV Show), a squad who win a LOT of competitions and run a very successful BBQ restaurant and catering business. Figured you would love to pick some brains and one of their pitmasters (pete) owes me a favor. :P

To those that don't know, Tipsy will be bringing his baby (Lang smoker) up and not only helping us cook for the contest entries, but also catering an onsite feast for our sponsors (RedBull, etc). Oh, and he'll be helping us drink a ####load of booze. :banned:

Competition is on the back burner for me except for this event every year (only local chance to cook with others in the park) and my hopefully annual trips to help Icon out @ Memphis in May which I'm headed to this year.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Can't wait GB... You are gonna be in Hog Heaven. It's like BBQ Disneyland on the banks of the MIssissippi for 4 days. Should be out of this world. Going to get us a meet & greet with the pitmasters of Yazoo's Delta Q(yes, the one from Pitmasters TV Show), a squad who win a LOT of competitions and run a very successful BBQ restaurant and catering business. Figured you would love to pick some brains and one of their pitmasters (pete) owes me a favor. :P

To those that don't know, Tipsy will be bringing his baby (Lang smoker) up and not only helping us cook for the contest entries, but also catering an onsite feast for our sponsors (RedBull, etc). Oh, and he'll be helping us drink a ####load of booze. :banned:
...this mostly :banned:

...this mostly :banned:
:lmao: :yes:

Just spent an hour and 1/2 being interviewed by a guy....@ 5 am no less. He writes for the biggest local news blogger. Another bump coming!
Love following along with your progress. Keep updating us!How are you holding up? Are the hours starting to take a toll yet?

I'm sending you a couple of guys from Baltimore in a few weeks. They're in town for a wedding. I think I convinced them to check you out. I told them to mention to Neil that "the guy he met in Atlanta sent them."

Excellent article.Are you still doing lunches on Mondays?
For now...yes. I hope to move on by June or July from here...but no real time frame. 2-3 nights in other buildings would be better for my $$$ and it is just plain time for me to move on...It's hard to let go of your old job when you are still @ that place everyday.

Words can not describe how much I would love to try Tipsys ribs right now. Between reading this in the morning and then reading ICONs thread, I want some BBQ

Days @ Dante's are numbered. Don't really want to get into details, but a 6 shift a week pop up inside someone else place that you have a a 10 year personal history with can lead to difficulties. I want to move on before I wear out my welcome, even if it means turning the page on a pretty good lunch biz. I would like to continue, but sometimes we all just gotta move on. Its very hard for me to turn the page on my Dante's past if I'm still dating the chick if you know what i mean.

I have something else lined up, but it will be a complete change in schedule again. I'm cool with that because I have to follow the money. It is in The warehouse district and is near the convention center, the WWII museum, thousands of upper middler's living in lofts literally across the street, one of the hottest scenes in the city food & nightlife wise, and something I really never considered looking into because rent is out of control for restaurant spaces and I'm more of an uptown boy.

The space is at a bar called "The Rusty Nail" owned by and Alabama & LSU grad and is the spot in that area to watch football on the tele. The current food set up they have is asking food trucks to set up outside. The food trucks have been doing bang up biz and the customers of the bar have definitely been happier for the food option. Owners of said bar want nothing to do with food, other than to have someone else do it. They want me to come in a few nights a week and set up on their new patio..which honestly is one of the more awesome ones in the area now. They also want me to do it for no rent for a while so we can both see what kind of response the other one is getting from new relationship. I have no reason to think I won't do more in sales almost immediately. Not only do I get the happy hour & early evening crowd, but a ton of the workers getting off from all the other restaurants in the area come there hungry & thirsty every night. And because of the new patio they have tons of private parties booked for months.

Biggest problem is I will be set up outside. I have a spot for the rig, a covered area to set up my food, and a storage area, but I am going to be doing my cooking offsite & bringing with for the most part. There is a spot to build a patio kitchen (im thinking a storage shed converted really), but they have a major bathroom build out about to happen that is their priority @ moment, so said kitchen would be on me. I'll wait on that for a bit I think, but they already said we could get that built in a short time frame.

I think the end of the month I am gone here @ Dante's. Man... since 2002. Time flies. :banned: :banned: I'll always recommend them to you guys...worth the trip from Downtown for sure. But...I'll be closer :)

:goodposting: Best article yet. Actually printed up a copy to give to the RedBull Rep we're meeting today to let him know who's coming in. :thumbup:
If the guy's name is George shoot me a PM.
Nope. His name is Nathan. He's head of onsite for this region. Otherwise i definitely would have dropped you a line. Neil, congrats on the new opportunity at the nail. I've heard great things about that place from some local buddies. I think you'll excel there as well and it should prove ample stepping stone to the "own space" situation you've got in the works.

:goodposting: Best article yet. Actually printed up a copy to give to the RedBull Rep we're meeting today to let him know who's coming in. :thumbup:
Nope. His name is Nathan. He's head of onsite for this region. Otherwise i definitely would have dropped you a line. Neil, congrats on the new opportunity at the nail. I've heard great things about that place from some local buddies. I think you'll excel there as well and it should prove ample stepping stone to the "own space" situation you've got in the works.
:thumbup: Its a pretty cool bar. Can't wait for a new setting & feeding a different group of folks. itll be interesting to see what follows me over customer wise.

:thumbup: Its a pretty cool bar. Can't wait for a new setting & feeding a different group of folks. itll be interesting to see what follows me over customer wise.
Will you still be doing "family style" or is that done?

Will you still be doing "family style" or is that done?
Not at the bar. Its a sports bar so that ain't gonna work.This is also giving me more exposure to bar biz...ive had no stand alone bar experience in my career (except frequenting them) in my career, and my eventual space will have a bar biz more than likely.

Days @ Dante's are numbered. Don't really want to get into details, but a 6 shift a week pop up inside someone else place that you have a a 10 year personal history with can lead to difficulties. I want to move on before I wear out my welcome, even if it means turning the page on a pretty good lunch biz. I would like to continue, but sometimes we all just gotta move on. Its very hard for me to turn the page on my Dante's past if I'm still dating the chick if you know what i mean.

I have something else lined up, but it will be a complete change in schedule again. I'm cool with that because I have to follow the money. It is in The warehouse district and is near the convention center, the WWII museum, thousands of upper middler's living in lofts literally across the street, one of the hottest scenes in the city food & nightlife wise, and something I really never considered looking into because rent is out of control for restaurant spaces and I'm more of an uptown boy.

The space is at a bar called "The Rusty Nail" owned by and Alabama & LSU grad and is the spot in that area to watch football on the tele. The current food set up they have is asking food trucks to set up outside. The food trucks have been doing bang up biz and the customers of the bar have definitely been happier for the food option. Owners of said bar want nothing to do with food, other than to have someone else do it. They want me to come in a few nights a week and set up on their new patio..which honestly is one of the more awesome ones in the area now. They also want me to do it for no rent for a while so we can both see what kind of response the other one is getting from new relationship. I have no reason to think I won't do more in sales almost immediately. Not only do I get the happy hour & early evening crowd, but a ton of the workers getting off from all the other restaurants in the area come there hungry & thirsty every night. And because of the new patio they have tons of private parties booked for months.

Biggest problem is I will be set up outside. I have a spot for the rig, a covered area to set up my food, and a storage area, but I am going to be doing my cooking offsite & bringing with for the most part. There is a spot to build a patio kitchen (im thinking a storage shed converted really), but they have a major bathroom build out about to happen that is their priority @ moment, so said kitchen would be on me. I'll wait on that for a bit I think, but they already said we could get that built in a short time frame.

I think the end of the month I am gone here @ Dante's. Man... since 2002. Time flies. :banned: :banned: I'll always recommend them to you guys...worth the trip from Downtown for sure. But...I'll be closer :)
So where will you be operating during JazzFest? I'll be down there for both weekends and was looking forward to stopping by during the days off (Mon-Wed) or some later evening after the fest. The Rusty Nail would be alright cause I'm staying at Embassy down there.

Love the Rusty Nail...glad things are looking up :thumbup:

So like hypothetically, what do you charge for a quart of your pig rub shipped to Dallas?
No idea....let me see what others charge for that sort of thing...i havent costed that out yet.i will have time for that more with days off cooking at home for the night biz.

'culdeus said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
'culdeus said:
So like hypothetically, what do you charge for a quart of your pig rub shipped to Dallas?
No idea....let me see what others charge for that sort of thing...i havent costed that out yet.i will have time for that more with days off cooking at home for the night biz.
Dizzy's charges about 29 bucks a qt. Shipping brings it up to 40.
Wow, that's awesome. Major profit there. If there's one thing that's been interesting to me it's how wide the profit range is on things. You lose your butt selling racks of ribs where the food cost is 50% of what you can sell them for but you can hit a profit grand slam selling stuff like rubs and sauces. Interesting.J

'culdeus said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
'culdeus said:
Wow, that's awesome. Major profit there. If there's one thing that's been interesting to me it's how wide the profit range is on things. You lose your butt selling racks of ribs where the food cost is 50% of what you can sell them for but you can hit a profit grand slam selling stuff like rubs and sauces. Interesting.J
Several ways to look at costing, but the best way for me has always been as follows.% is less of an issue than $ brought in. If you make $8 bucks profit off a rack of ribs sold to customer A, and customer B orders your sandwich plate which brings you in $4 profit...guess which one you want to sell more.Its all about how much money you bring to the bank....not how good your accounting says your %'s are. And in the end...the high profit % items always balance out with the lower % ones....overall food cost is your major concern. Good menu engineering has always allowed us to run really expensive food cost stuff because the "mules" on the menu (ie the chicken, filets, redfish @ dantes) bring in a great $ amount & % amount.

'culdeus said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
'culdeus said:
Several ways to look at costing, but the best way for me has always been as follows.% is less of an issue than $ brought in. If you make $8 bucks profit off a rack of ribs sold to customer A, and customer B orders your sandwich plate which brings you in $4 profit...guess which one you want to sell more.Its all about how much money you bring to the bank....not how good your accounting says your %'s are. And in the end...the high profit % items always balance out with the lower % ones....overall food cost is your major concern. Good menu engineering has always allowed us to run really expensive food cost stuff because the "mules" on the menu (ie the chicken, filets, redfish @ dantes) bring in a great $ amount & % amount.
An item like rub for $29 that has a giant profit margin plus brings in a lot of money for one item is a home run. Best of both worlds. I'm saying it's interesting to me how wide the range is among different products.J

so...my first experience outside of Dante's (for selling purposes that is) was awesome.

The Rusty Nail had a huge crowd on Friday night and I managed to sell more in my 1st appearance there than all but 3 of my shifts at Dante's thus far (all dinners). I have no reason to not push these guys to let me operate 4 or 5 nights a week for now. If they build out the kitchen, I am going to make a push to be a semi permanent operator for them, and sell even more than just bbq...as it is a bar and not having a burger is a sin...and for me its all about cooking with fire. This is going to be a huge help financing my next step....which is semi-officially underway.

McClure's Barbecue is starting to nail down the details for its permanent home @ the shed on Carondolet. I have mentioned it in the thread before. 25x100 rectangle with a garage door and corrugated on the walls & roof. Stage 1 is going to start this week...we will be building a "clean room" for the kitchen so I have something to operate out of for offsite catering/etc. I need to build 4 walls, add a drop celing, and get a gas line hooked up to the oven already there. I should be able to cook out of there within a month.

Stage 2 is the cleanup & set up of the interior dining space. Im going to skip making it nice....at first anyway. It will be a dump, but being a bbq place will help me get away with that.

This is all going to take less than 100K it looks like. Somebody get Chet or Otis to cut me a check...if they want uber good returns on their money that is. :banned:

so...my first experience outside of Dante's (for selling purposes that is) was awesome.The Rusty Nail had a huge crowd on Friday night and I managed to sell more in my 1st appearance there than all but 3 of my shifts at Dante's thus far (all dinners). I have no reason to not push these guys to let me operate 4 or 5 nights a week for now. If they build out the kitchen, I am going to make a push to be a semi permanent operator for them, and sell even more than just bbq...as it is a bar and not having a burger is a sin...and for me its all about cooking with fire. This is going to be a huge help financing my next step....which is semi-officially underway. McClure's Barbecue is starting to nail down the details for its permanent home @ the shed on Carondolet. I have mentioned it in the thread before. 25x100 rectangle with a garage door and corrugated on the walls & roof. Stage 1 is going to start this week...we will be building a "clean room" for the kitchen so I have something to operate out of for offsite catering/etc. I need to build 4 walls, add a drop celing, and get a gas line hooked up to the oven already there. I should be able to cook out of there within a month. Stage 2 is the cleanup & set up of the interior dining space. Im going to skip making it nice....at first anyway. It will be a dump, but being a bbq place will help me get away with that. This is all going to take less than 100K it looks like. Somebody get Chet or Otis to cut me a check...if they want uber good returns on their money that is. :banned:
:thumbup:

I'd pitch in a few grand depending on how you structure it. I'm sure some others here would as well.

Eta - I bet you could sell 100 shares at $1k each, minimum of two or three, pretty quickly. Structure it so the initial investment can be paid back within 24 months then have the shares represent 10% ownership. Pay an annual dividend. Build in an option for you to rebuy the shares. Really easy.

I'd pitch in a few grand depending on how you structure it. I'm sure some others here would as well.Eta - I bet you could sell 100 shares at $1k each, minimum of two or three, pretty quickly. Structure it so the initial investment can be paid back within 24 months then have the shares represent 10% ownership. Pay an annual dividend. Build in an option for you to rebuy the shares. Really easy.
I have no doubt that I can get at least 10k locally

I'd pitch in a few grand depending on how you structure it. I'm sure some others here would as well.Eta - I bet you could sell 100 shares at $1k each, minimum of two or three, pretty quickly. Structure it so the initial investment can be paid back within 24 months then have the shares represent 10% ownership. Pay an annual dividend. Build in an option for you to rebuy the shares. Really easy.
This has been brought up several times in this thread. This can definitely work.

Users who are viewing this thread