What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

Not sure about catering but there is a bunch of folks that would love to buy your rubs. 

I’m looking forward to reading this thread in a few years after you have absorbed all these body shots and come out on top as the undisputed champ of New Orleans BBQ. 
Appreciate that.   I should have time for the rub thing soon enough.   Its been a one man show a lot here lately and I'm worn.

I don't care about being the champ....I just don't want to get knocked out.   

@tipsy mcstagger - I've never met you. I've never eaten at your restaurant. 

However, everyone is raving about your culinary skills.  Can't wait to come to NOLA and visit your restaurant (whereever you end up).  Your posts are inspiring and heartbreaking all at the same time.  And if you have any rubs or stuff I could buy from NY, I'm in!

I still wear the poop out of my McClure's BBQ shirt from years ago and get all kinds of comments on it............  I would be down for merch, rubs etc. 

Breathes in....

The brewery I am in has decided they need the revenue from food sales and have given me official 90 days notice to cease operations at the taproom..  Its a part of the lease I was most apprehensive about before signing, but was also aware I may have wanted to use it myself at some point in the coming year.   So unless a miracle happens and we find a place and get operational by mid September, my biz is going to shut down for a bit.   My partner and I are accelerating our search for a spot we can get in and rolling quickly, but I know that is going to take more than 3 months to make happen.    One property is already being discussed somewhat more seriously now.   We shall see.     If it happens it will be a pretty funny part of my restaurant story arch which I'll explain later if it happens or not.

Phase 4 is what I'll be calling this project.   Depending on the space I have a lot I want to do differently including a bbq menu with more items (like beef ribs, and pastrami) along with an expanded southern menu core....along with the fried chicken and pork chops I already do, I would like throw in a few more classic southern dishes each day.   Will see....the space and neighborhood I end up in will dictate what direction I really go.   Not away from bbq, but definitely more.   And bring back that brunch I did on Magazine in the beginning.   Ribs & Grits was one of the best brunch dishes ever and I look forward to bringing it back!

Stay tuned.   This sucks with the timing but biz is biz.  No hard feelings.   This was going to happen in the next year anyway I'm sure.

If you need onsite catering anytime this fall...holler.  Have pit.  Will travel.
Hang in there, Buddy. I"m sorry you have to deal with this. 

Partner says he is moving forward with closing on purchase of building I referenced earlier.  I won't be fully convinced we are getting it until we actual close and I have keys.  But....the architect is lined up & changes to existing layout of building submitted.  Contractors have also been to property and given rough estimate and timeline.   Looks like 5+ months once we get the building.  I'm going to go out on a limb and add a couple more months to that, which puts us into 2021 before I re-open.  

I'd be excited if I weren't full of so much dread lately.   I've all but had enough of this battle at the moment.   This too shall pass.

Partner says he is moving forward with closing on purchase of building I referenced earlier.  I won't be fully convinced we are getting it until we actual close and I have keys.  But....the architect is lined up & changes to existing layout of building submitted.  Contractors have also been to property and given rough estimate and timeline.   Looks like 5+ months once we get the building.  I'm going to go out on a limb and add a couple more months to that, which puts us into 2021 before I re-open.  

I'd be excited if I weren't full of so much dread lately.   I've all but had enough of this battle at the moment.   This too shall pass.
Love ya buddy. It'll work out.

Is this the place we talked about (historical significance)? 

Whatever happened to Tipsy? I'll be in N.O. this weekend and was looking forward to eating at whatever place he was at these days, but it looks like he dropped off the face of the earth.

Anyone know if he's still in N.O. and if he's cooking somewhere?

Whatever happened to Tipsy? I'll be in N.O. this weekend and was looking forward to eating at whatever place he was at these days, but it looks like he dropped off the face of the earth.

Anyone know if he's still in N.O. and if he's cooking somewhere?

He texted me a couple of weeks ago for my birthday. I thought he was still at Charlies. I'll confirm. Such a great guy.

He texted me back. He's cooking at Charlies Steaks.

The BBQ placed closed a couple of years ago. It was an odd situation being tied to the brewery. He's a great BBQ cook. And a great cook of other food too. That's sort of unique among BBQ folks. 

I have been to a lot of restaurants in New Orleans, but this isn't one of them. I just went through the pictures of the place and I want to go the next time I'm in town. The food looks unbelievably good - and that stack of thin onion rings (almost straw) looks fantastic. 

And Tipsy of course.  

pics

I have been to a lot of restaurants in New Orleans, but this isn't one of them. I just went through the pictures of the place and I want to go the next time I'm in town. The food looks unbelievably good - and that stack of thin onion rings (almost straw) looks fantastic. 

And Tipsy of course.  

pics

I hear they don't have actual menus with prices, they just list/tell you what cuts of steaks they have that day, and what sides they have. 

If they were open for lunch I'd go but all my dinner plans are set. 

Last edited by a moderator:
3 days before we went, our Air B&B got canceled, and somehow we were able to get rooms at the Blake Hotel, which is on St Charles and Poydras - perfect, it was where all the parades seemed to pass by.
That's kind of insane that you were able to get rooms there so close to Mardi Gras. I'm sure there was a cancellation or something. The Blake is not world-famous or anything ... but it is a very nice place and doubly so for booking it last minute. I used to work in the office space above the Blake before COVID, and enjoyed many lunches at Cafe at the Square, their 1st-floor restaurant.

And, as you noticed, you were ground-zero for all the downtown parades. Did you all get reviewing-stand tickets, or just stand on the street somewhere?

Doug B said:
That's kind of insane that you were able to get rooms there so close to Mardi Gras. I'm sure there was a cancellation or something. The Blake is not world-famous or anything ... but it is a very nice place and doubly so for booking it last minute. I used to work in the office space above the Blake before COVID, and enjoyed many lunches at Cafe at the Square, their 1st-floor restaurant.

And, as you noticed, you were ground-zero for all the downtown parades. Did you all get reviewing-stand tickets, or just stand on the street somewhere?

I moved my post to the NO thread...but yeah, we just stood by the street outside the hotel and watched from there.

Been gone awhile...missed quite a few posts/questions. Sorry guys...its been a brutal 2 years dealing with the loss of the restaurant. I still am not "whole" after losing my lease and several deaths in the family / friend circle. I haven/t adapted well to working for others again, but that has been a mental battle more than anything.

Yes ...I am at Charlie's Steakhouse. Turns out I'm pretty good at running a grill :) Wish I had creative control over the menu, but it is a 93 year old place steeped in its traditions and that menu has been the same for decades. At least I was able to upgrade the steaks and tweak the sides to be a bit better. Thankful for the job, but after nearly 30 years as an owner or GM, I struggle being under my current GM's thumb. My best destiny is to own my own place again. I don't really have a ton of hope for that currently, so trying to keep my head down and get my paychecks.

Been absent from FBG's because even this thread was a painful reminder....but I'm trying to get over it. The support I got from most of you guys meant a lot over the years...thanks! Hope to yall if you come down to the Big Easy!

Been gone awhile...missed quite a few posts/questions. Sorry guys...its been a brutal 2 years dealing with the loss of the restaurant. I still am not "whole" after losing my lease and several deaths in the family / friend circle. I haven/t adapted well to working for others again, but that has been a mental battle more than anything.

Yes ...I am at Charlie's Steakhouse. Turns out I'm pretty good at running a grill :) Wish I had creative control over the menu, but it is a 93 year old place steeped in its traditions and that menu has been the same for decades. At least I was able to upgrade the steaks and tweak the sides to be a bit better. Thankful for the job, but after nearly 30 years as an owner or GM, I struggle being under my current GM's thumb. My best destiny is to own my own place again. I don't really have a ton of hope for that currently, so trying to keep my head down and get my paychecks.

Been absent from FBG's because even this thread was a painful reminder....but I'm trying to get over it. The support I got from most of you guys meant a lot over the years...thanks! Hope to yall if you come down to the Big Easy!
PS....screw that brewery. Please don't go there if you do visit. :lmao:

Glad to see you're still around. Sounds like a pretty rough go. Sorry to hear it GB.

When I went last fall, we ended up at a different brewey, Courtyard, since it was an easy bike ride from the French Quarter.

Hope you get the BBQ going again. Give us some updated food and drink recs for the Big Easy when you get a chance.

Glad to see you're still around. Sounds like a pretty rough go. Sorry to hear it GB.

When I went last fall, we ended up at a different brewey, Courtyard, since it was an easy bike ride from the French Quarter.

Hope you get the BBQ going again. Give us some updated food and drink recs for the Big Easy when you get a chance.
Have had my head in the ground for two years....no new recommendations here.....except for an Indian Cuisine place out in Metairie....Mantra. It is so good I've gone at least 2 dozen times since January and tried 75 out of the 100 item menu (always go with a group). Never been quite so obsessed with a place.

Glad to see you around these parts again Tipsy, definitely missed having you around. Hopefully, things land the right way going forward and you get your own place in the future.

my meal at McClure's BBQ was the best one during my trip to NO in 2019.

My wife and I were recently divorced after 29 years. Yeah, it sucks. But, she always loved my McClure’s BBQ shirt and she’d wear it around the house a lot. When we got divorced, she brings me the shirt and says - I know this was from one of your football friends, do you want it? I let her keep it.
But damn, I do love that shirt!
Best of luck to you - and thanks for sharing your stories with us.

My wife and I were recently divorced after 29 years. Yeah, it sucks. But, she always loved my McClure’s BBQ shirt and she’d wear it around the house a lot. When we got divorced, she brings me the shirt and says - I know this was from one of your football friends, do you want it? I let her keep it.
But damn, I do love that shirt!
Best of luck to you - and thanks for sharing your stories with us.
send me your address...ill send you one of my old ones (size xl or xxl probably....Tipsy getting fatter by the month.

Have to say it sucks that someone that has as much talent, heart, and work ethic as you got tossed through the tumbler and are stuck where you are for now. Best wishes for a new opportunity and all the success in the world because you deserve it tipsy.

Have to say it sucks that someone that has as much talent, heart, and work ethic as you got tossed through the tumbler and are stuck where you are for now. Best wishes for a new opportunity and all the success in the world because you deserve it tipsy.
THIS.
For those of you who've not had the pleasure of meeting Tipsy in person, he's actually even kinder / funnier than he is on the forums. Legitimately one of the best humans I've met.

I've had the honor of calling him a good friend for about a decade, and cooking/partying with him at several big events. The man pours himself into doing the right thing in a way I've never quite seen before. Literally EVERY one of my family members or friends who've met him not only VERY clearly remembers him ( :lmao: ), but also absolutely loves the guy and bring him up unprompted often.

I know we've talked a bit about this but I'm sorry you're having a rough go. I'm confident as soon as things turn for the better you'll find your groove again. That's in your cards. Be patient brother.

Users who are viewing this thread