What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch (4 Viewers)

Most likely senerio seems to be watch guy sees black youth walking around gated community and tries to detain said youth. Youth sees watch guy with gun and tries to get away. Struggle ensues. Watch guy is getting beat up. Watch guy shoots youth. Watch guy should go to slammer, but probably won't, because it's his word against a dead kid's.
This was my exact thought, except that he probably saw the black kid running, as he did go to the store at halftime and probably wanted to get back. Watch guy just had to get involved because of the robbery that must have taken place because of said running black kid.

Most likely senerio seems to be watch guy sees black youth walking around gated community and tries to detain said youth. Youth sees watch guy with gun and tries to get away. Struggle ensues. Watch guy is getting beat up. Watch guy shoots youth. Watch guy should go to slammer, but probably won't, because it's his word against a dead kid's.
That pretty much sums up what likely happened.

Linky

Trayvon, who lived in Miami with his mother, had been visiting his father and stepmother in a gated townhome community called The Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, 20 miles north of Orlando.

As Trayvon returned to the townhome, Sanford police received a 911 call reporting a suspicious person.

Although names are blacked out on the police report, Crump and media reports at the time of the shooting identified the caller as George Zimmerman who is listed in the community's newsletter as the Neighborhood Watch captain.

Without waiting for police to arrive, Crump said, Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, who was on the sidewalk near his home. By the time police got there, Trayvon was dead of a single gunshot to the chest.

"What do the police find in his pocket? Skittles," Crump said. "A can of Arizona ice tea in his jacket pocket and Skittles in his front pocket for his brother Chad."

Zimmerman could not be reached for comment on Wednesday evening at a phone number listed for him on the community's newsletter.

Crump said the family was concerned that police might decide to consider the shooting as self defense, and that police have ignored the family's request for a copy of the original 911 call, which they think will shed light on the incidents.

"If the 911 protocol across the country held to form here, they told him not to get involved. He disobeyed that order," said Ryan Julison, a spokesman for the family.

"He (Zimmerman) didn't have to get out of his car," said Crump, who has prepared a public records lawsuit to file on Thursday if the family doesn't get the 911 tape. "If he never gets out of his car, there is no reason for self-defense. Trayvon only has skittles. He has the gun."

Since Trayvon, a high school junior who wanted to be a pilot, was black and Zimmerman is white, Crump said race is "the 600 pound elephant in the room."

"Why is this kid suspicious in the first place? I think a stereotype must have been placed on the kid," Crump said.
That. :(

OK, all the white-murder apologists listen up:

The guy called 911 because he saw a black kid (aka suspicious person) in his neighborhood

Sanford police received a 911 call reporting a suspicious person.

Although names are blacked out on the police report, Crump and media reports at the time of the shooting identified the caller as George Zimmerman

He (after calling 911 because he saw a black person) took the law into his own hands and confronted the kid (who was in his own neighborhood).

Without waiting for police to arrive, Crump said, Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, who was on the sidewalk near his home. By the time police got there, Trayvon was dead of a single gunshot to the chest.

The kid likely mouthed off, knowing dude was a total racist.

Words are exchanged. Scuffle happens. Armed paranoid white instigator kills unarmed black passer-by.

That does not mean it's no one's fault. It is Zimmerman's fault for approaching someone armed, and then firing that gun at someone and killing them. He deserves to be tried and convicted for murder and should be in jail right now. I can not think of a single justifiable reason this man is currently a free man.

ETA: When did this forum become affiliated with StormFront? Ridiculous what's going on in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The guy called 911 because he saw a black kid (aka suspicious person) in his neighborhood

Although names are blacked out on the police report, Crump and media reports at the time of the shooting identified the caller as George Zimmerman

He (after calling 911 because he saw a black person) took the law into his own hands and confronted the kid (who was in his own neighborhood).

Words are exchanged. Scuffle happens. Armed paranoid white instigator kills unarmed black passer-by.

That does not mean it's no one's fault. It is Zimmerman's fault for approaching someone armed, and then firing that gun at someone and killing them. He deserves to be tried and convicted for murder and should be in jail right now. I can not think of a single justifiable reason this man is currently a free man.

ETA: When did this forum become affiliated with StormFront? Ridiculous what's going on in here.
I think you're misunderstanding the comments in this thread. Most are sarcasm. Without going back through it again to double check, there aren't any "white-murder apologists" that I recall. Most everyone agrees with you I think.

Linky

Trayvon, who lived in Miami with his mother, had been visiting his father and stepmother in a gated townhome community called The Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, 20 miles north of Orlando.

As Trayvon returned to the townhome, Sanford police received a 911 call reporting a suspicious person.

Although names are blacked out on the police report, Crump and media reports at the time of the shooting identified the caller as George Zimmerman who is listed in the community's newsletter as the Neighborhood Watch captain.

"What do the police find in his pocket? Skittles," Crump said. "A can of Arizona ice tea in his jacket pocket and Skittles in his front pocket for his brother Chad."

Zimmerman could not be reached for comment on Wednesday evening at a phone number listed for him on the community's newsletter.

Crump said the family was concerned that police might decide to consider the shooting as self defense, and that police have ignored the family's request for a copy of the original 911 call, which they think will shed light on the incidents.

"If the 911 protocol across the country held to form here, they told him not to get involved. He disobeyed that order," said Ryan Julison, a spokesman for the family.

"He (Zimmerman) didn't have to get out of his car," said Crump, who has prepared a public records lawsuit to file on Thursday if the family doesn't get the 911 tape. "If he never gets out of his car, there is no reason for self-defense. Trayvon only has skittles. He has the gun."

Since Trayvon, a high school junior who wanted to be a pilot, was black and Zimmerman is white, Crump said race is "the 600 pound elephant in the room."

"Why is this kid suspicious in the first place? I think a stereotype must have been placed on the kid," Crump said.
That. :(
This story is certainly suspicious. That's an awfully small elephant.

Link to full story

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The family of a 17-year-old African-American boy shot to death last month in his gated Florida community by a white Neighborhood Watch captain wants to see the captain arrested, the family's lawyer said on Wednesday.

Trayvon Martin was shot dead after he took a break from watching NBA All-Star game television coverage to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said.

"He was a good kid," Crump said in an interview, adding that the family would issue a call for the Watch captain's arrest at a news conference on Thursday. "On his way home, a Neighborhood Watch loose cannon shot and killed him."
I'm just glad we have the whole story here.
Kid shot dead in his own neighborhood after buying skittles at a convenience store. How much more of the story do you need? There are no circumstances that would justify this.
:lmao:

Link to full story

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The family of a 17-year-old African-American boy shot to death last month in his gated Florida community by a white Neighborhood Watch captain wants to see the captain arrested, the family's lawyer said on Wednesday.

Trayvon Martin was shot dead after he took a break from watching NBA All-Star game television coverage to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said.

"He was a good kid," Crump said in an interview, adding that the family would issue a call for the Watch captain's arrest at a news conference on Thursday. "On his way home, a Neighborhood Watch loose cannon shot and killed him."
Kid shot dead in his own neighborhood after buying skittles at a convenience store. How much more of the story do you need? There are no circumstances that would justify this.
Really? Nothing comes to mind?
Not saying this justifies it, but there was apparently a "scuffle".
Police Thursday released an incident report that gave new clues that support Zimmerman.

When police arrived and found the body, they also found Zimmerman bleeding from the nose and back of his head, according to the report. Also, the back of his shirt was wet and had grass clippings on it, as if he'd been on his back on the ground.

And an officer overheard Zimmerman complain, " 'I was yelling for someone to help me but no one would help me,' " according to the report.

One of the things on which police are focusing is the background noise in a 911 call, the chief said.

"You can hear the struggle and the gunshot," he said.

Police want to enhance the background noise to better hear what went on, he said.

Detectives should complete their investigation next week at the latest, the chief said, and will let the state attorney's office decide whether to file criminal charges.
http://www.sun-senti...0,5522977.storyEither way, if Zimmerman at the very least just lets the police do their job, none of this happens.
This is my point. The guy shouldn't have been trying to detain the kid. If some random guy gets in my face and tries to detain me there's probably going to be a scuffle there too.
Where does it say he tried to detain the kid?

Link to full story

Perhaps the police should be open and honest with the community instead of keeping silent.
The guy's white, the kid was black, the town is Sanford, the cover up is under way.
:lmao:

Even if we take everything you've written as gospel that does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that it was murder. The guy confronts the kid without taking out his weapon. The kid gets scared and takes a poke at the guy. They struggle. The kid gets his hands on the weapon. The both end up with their hands on the gun and it goes off.

This really is a sad situation. I mean your son went out for snacks and doesn't return. Based on the story we have the only thing the kid really did was be black in a affluent neighborhood. Sad. Just really sad.

Sounds to me that most of you here don't know what the #### you're talking about but you'll keep coming to conclusions based on whatever random thought pops into your head.

I think the release of the 911 tape is key. From there you'd be able to tell who initiated what. If the kid was coming to attack watch guy, he'd obviously say something to that effect to the 911 dispatcher since he was keep such a watchful eye on the kid. On the other hand, he tried to detain the kid and then shot the kid as he was getting his ### handed to him, then he'd at least have to get manslaughter. Isn't 911 tapes public domain?

What kind of back ground do these two have? Criminal record, history of violence, etc..?
According to another article, Martin's record was clean. Haven't seen anything about Zimmerman. That article did have this tidbit:
On Thursday, Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee confirmed to WFTV that the dispatcher told Zimmerman to wait for officers to arrive.However, before police arrived, Zimmerman shot and killed Martin during a scuffle, investigators said.In the recording, Zimmerman said "They always get away," which could prove the family's case that he was out to get their son that day.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/family-teen-fatally-shot-neighborhood-watch-leader/nLNq9/

Seems to me that what we know is that Zimmerman shot an unarmed teenager who was just out to buy some Skittles for his little brother. He belonged in the neighborhood due to the fact that his dad lived there. There was no reason whatsoever for Zimmerman to confront him. If he wanted to call the cops, fine, let them question the kid. But at this point, with a dead kid, and no reason to think that he was a threat to Zimmerman, I think the burden is on Zimmerman to show how self-defense could possibly come into play here.

Seems to me that what we know is that Zimmerman shot an unarmed teenager who was just out to buy some Skittles for his little brother. He belonged in the neighborhood due to the fact that his dad lived there. There was no reason whatsoever for Zimmerman to confront him. If he wanted to call the cops, fine, let them question the kid. But at this point, with a dead kid, and no reason to think that he was a threat to Zimmerman, I think the burden is on Zimmerman to show how self-defense could possibly come into play here.
Yeah, other than that pesky innocent until proven guilty thing.

Even if we take everything you've written as gospel that does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that it was murder. The guy confronts the kid without taking out his weapon. The kid gets scared and takes a poke at the guy. They struggle. The kid gets his hands on the weapon. The both end up with their hands on the gun and it goes off.
That sounds like murder to me.

What kind of back ground do these two have? Criminal record, history of violence, etc..?
According to another article, Martin's record was clean. Haven't seen anything about Zimmerman. That article did have this tidbit:

On Thursday, Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee confirmed to WFTV that the dispatcher told Zimmerman to wait for officers to arrive.

However, before police arrived, Zimmerman shot and killed Martin during a scuffle, investigators said.

In the recording, Zimmerman said "They always get away," which could prove the family's case that he was out to get their son that day.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/family-teen-fatally-shot-neighborhood-watch-leader/nLNq9/
Oops.

"Does the confrontation alone give him a reason, a justifiable reason to shoot and kill a 17-year-old boy?" WFTV reporter Daralene Jones asked.

"Well, it depends on the facts and circumstances," said Lee.

The Mantle of Innocence

I'm sure you've seen at least one Western movie where the evil gunfighter forces the innocent rancher to go for his gun. When the rancher is beaten to the draw, all the bad guy's buddies swear to the sheriff that the rancher went for his gun first.

Hollywood script writers notwithstanding, the law generally will not tolerate this kind of behavior. If you go armed in society and seek arguments and fights, you may find a judge or jury ruling that you gave up your mantle of innocence. If this is their finding, you will not be judged to have acted in self-defense.

Robert Heinlein's contention that an armed society is a polite society, like most truths, has two edges. If you choose to go armed, you'd better be polite, as well.

"Does the confrontation alone give him a reason, a justifiable reason to shoot and kill a 17-year-old boy?" WFTV reporter Daralene Jones asked."Well, it depends on the facts and circumstances," said Lee.The Mantle of InnocenceI'm sure you've seen at least one Western movie where the evil gunfighter forces the innocent rancher to go for his gun. When the rancher is beaten to the draw, all the bad guy's buddies swear to the sheriff that the rancher went for his gun first. Hollywood script writers notwithstanding, the law generally will not tolerate this kind of behavior. If you go armed in society and seek arguments and fights, you may find a judge or jury ruling that you gave up your mantle of innocence. If this is their finding, you will not be judged to have acted in self-defense. Robert Heinlein's contention that an armed society is a polite society, like most truths, has two edges. If you choose to go armed, you'd better be polite, as well.
That's interesting and all. But it doesn't mean that's what happened. He could have pulled the gun and shot the kid then rolled around on the ground with the kid's dead body making grunting sounds. He also could have been very polite, not pulled the gun and asked the kid to wait for the cops but the kid decided he was going to kick the cracker's ###.We don't know.

On Thursday, Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee confirmed to WFTV that the dispatcher told Zimmerman to wait for officers to arrive.

However, before police arrived, Zimmerman shot and killed Martin during a scuffle, investigators said.

In the recording, Zimmerman said "They always get away," which could prove the family's case that he was out to get their son that day.
Oops.
Umm, I think this neighborhood watch guy did something he shouldn't have, i.e. not wait for the cops, but I think "they" doesn't have to mean black people. If Zimmerman is a neighborhood watch captain and he is carrying, that tells me that this gated community may have had a history of robberies. It is possible that this guy is also just a guy who was waiting to use his gun and/or a racist, but this could easily mean "they" in terms of criminals who continue to rob/vandalize/whatever in that neighborhood and get away with it before the cops arrive.Again, I definitely think the watch captain is absolutely in the wrong. Easy enough to just say he is on watch and has never seen him before. Then just ask him where he lives/is going. Easy to make the kid feel like he is just checking and not assuming he is robbing someone. I just want to point out that "they" means a group of people in the English language and doesn't mean black people unless people read what they want into it without knowing the exact truth.

Oops.
Umm, I think this neighborhood watch guy did something he shouldn't have, i.e. not wait for the cops, but I think "they" doesn't have to mean black people. If Zimmerman is a neighborhood watch captain and he is carrying, that tells me that this gated community may have had a history of robberies. It is possible that this guy is also just a guy who was waiting to use his gun and/or a racist, but this could easily mean "they" in terms of criminals who continue to rob/vandalize/whatever in that neighborhood and get away with it before the cops arrive.Again, I definitely think the watch captain is absolutely in the wrong. Easy enough to just say he is on watch and has never seen him before. Then just ask him where he lives/is going. Easy to make the kid feel like he is just checking and not assuming he is robbing someone. I just want to point out that "they" means a group of people in the English language and doesn't mean black people unless people read what they want into it without knowing the exact truth.
We don't have the whole story, but what we do have looks pretty damning for Sheriff Zimmerman. I mean, sure, maybe this kid decided to break into someone's house on the way back from the store carrying Skittles and an Iced Tea. Or maybe he whistled at a white woman. Who knows?

Oops.
We don't have the whole story, but what we do have looks pretty damning for Sheriff Zimmerman. I mean, sure, maybe this kid decided to break into someone's house on the way back from the store carrying Skittles and an Iced Tea. Or maybe he whistled at a white woman. Who knows?
Agreed, while I wasn't there, I would think that Zimmerman is absolutely in the wrong and he, if he wanted to not kill someone, could have easily avoided it. I don't think it is 100% concrete that he was trying to find the first black kid walking the street to kill him and I don't think we can assume "they" means black people as hinted to above.

Oops.
Agreed, while I wasn't there, I would think that Zimmerman is absolutely in the wrong and he, if he wanted to not kill someone, could have easily avoided it. I don't think it is 100% concrete that he was trying to find the first black kid walking the street to kill him and I don't think we can assume "they" means black people as hinted to above.
I don't think anyone made this claim. His comment suggestions he's looking for some kind of confrontation/payback though.

Oops.
And that could have been what happened.

Let me get this straight - a guy can stop a kid on the street, ask him what he's doing there, get into a fight with the kid because he got offended and then kill him but not get arrested for murder?

"Does the confrontation alone give him a reason, a justifiable reason to shoot and kill a 17-year-old boy?" WFTV reporter Daralene Jones asked.

"Well, it depends on the facts and circumstances," said Lee.

The Mantle of Innocence

I'm sure you've seen at least one Western movie where the evil gunfighter forces the innocent rancher to go for his gun. When the rancher is beaten to the draw, all the bad guy's buddies swear to the sheriff that the rancher went for his gun first.

Hollywood script writers notwithstanding, the law generally will not tolerate this kind of behavior. If you go armed in society and seek arguments and fights, you may find a judge or jury ruling that you gave up your mantle of innocence. If this is their finding, you will not be judged to have acted in self-defense.

Robert Heinlein's contention that an armed society is a polite society, like most truths, has two edges. If you choose to go armed, you'd better be polite, as well.
Just like Jack Palance in Shane.

Personally, I don't like being stopped and questioned by cops. I especially don't like being stopped and questioned by people pretending to be cops. I think many people feel the same way. Wal-Mart greeter wants to randomly check my cart? I just keep walking. I don't like being treated with suspicion for no good reason. It's a natural reaction to busybody authority.Go ahead and ask folks to stop and be questioned, Mr. Neighborhood Watch. But playing along should never be interpreted as a sign that those folks are hiding something. Oh, and you shouldn't be packing, #######.

Let me get this straight - a guy can stop a kid on the street, ask him what he's doing there, get into a fight with the kid because he got offended and then kill him but not get arrested for murder?
So far, yes.
Well it depends on what race you are and what part of the country you live in.
I'm pulling a Cristo here, but we have absolutely no idea what truly happened. To condemn the guy without the facts is unfair.

So far, yes.
I'm pulling a Cristo here, but we have absolutely no idea what truly happened. To condemn the guy without the facts is unfair.
We all know.

So far, yes.
We all know.
I think we have a good idea, but do we really know? With such a high-profile case, the whole police department is in on it? Is this department going to double down on no charges knowing that doing so could bring in the state leaders and possibly the feds?

So far, yes.
We all know.
Isn't assuming things because of the races of the people involved... I dunno... prejudice?

So far, yes.
We all know.
Isn't assuming things because of the races of the people involved... I dunno... prejudice?
:confused:

So far, yes.
We all know.
:confused:
Maybe I misunderstood your intent. Were you referring that "We all know... what happened" or "We all know... we have absolutely no idea what truly happened"

Users who are viewing this thread