What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martellus Bennett - playing musical chairs with the NFL (1 Viewer)

Except....Bennett is now playing.  Which means he didn't really need or want surgery.  He just didn't want to play for a ####ty team without its future HOF QB.
Doesn’t matter.  He had a Dr recommend he get surgery.  The player has the right to pursue that option.  The team can’t cut him for that.  GB did, but tried to get out of paying him what they owed by lying & saying he withheld the injury.  After they cut him, if he changes his mind about the surgery, that doesn’t change the fact a doc told him he should do it, he told GB he wanted to do it, then they cut him.

ETA-doesn’t matter with regards to the contractual side of it.  I completely agree that Bennett chose the surgery b/c he didn’t want to put his body through the pounding with no hope for the playoffs win Hundley @QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
The proof is obvious if you follow GB.  They have been brutally, annnoyingly conservative with injuries for well over a decade.  This is widely known and acknowledged throughout the league.  Simply put, it isn't news.
Not disputing this, but that’s not proof of what happens with Bennett.  The only people who could prove whether the Doc pushed Bennett to play or not is Bennett & the Doc & the Doc can’t say anything b/c of HIPPA.  So, we can assume Bennett is lying (which I’ve said I agree with), but it is still an assumption, not a fact.

What's really interesting is to compare that overview with the unadulterated venom in this thread.  From my perspective, at least some of the character assassination here is directly associated with the color of Bennett's skin and the prior incident his brother had being profiled by the 5-0.
So you think if someone like Jay Cutler pulled something like this people would react differently? I don't.

Also his brother was not profiled.

So you think if someone like Jay Cutler pulled something like this people would react differently? I don't.

Also his brother was not profiled.
It’s not about black or white; it’s about green.  Bennett wanted to have surgery which would have likely guaranteed his salary for next year.  GB didn’t want to pay it so they cut him & lied about him withholding the injury.  He responds with lies about the GB Doc.  No racism, just money.

It's a pissing contest of half truths on both sides.  Here's a reply I saw to the interesting article on Deadspin on this topic:

What people seem to be missing here is only the entire issue: the Packers say Bennett hid a medical issue from them; Bennett says that’s bull####. If it can be proven that Bennett actually hid the issue, the Packers would be able to get money back - signing bonus, etc. So Bennett’s been playing with a condition that will need surgery at some point, but he sucked it up because Aaron Rodgers. With Rodgers gone, there’s no need to suck it up any more because the team is going nowhere, so he goes to doctors who tell him, ‘Get the surgery.’ And who knows, maybe the injury got worse. The Packers get peeved because he’s going to be out for the rest of the season (not that it matters) and decide to cut him in a way that would let them recoup some of their investment. My guess is everyone knew that he was hurt but he and the team had a tacit agreement that he’d delay surgery. Bennett feels like he played hurt when they had a chance and that the team is screwing him with this response. Whether or not he can still play isn’t really the issue at all. 

The half truths on both sides is everybody knew his shoulder was marginal and became worse as the season wore on, but he decided to opt for surgery after Rodgers went down....which is a "me first" thing to do....but the Packers then released him under the pretense of "failure to disclose" which is also a "me first" ("us first") thing to do.  Now Bennett chooses to continue to play with Brady at QB rather than a backup at QB in GB and people are surprised.  Bennett's real problem is spin....he didn't think before running his mouth about the doctor in question so all the sheep run to the doctor in question when he's actually a bit player in the overall melodrama which is about Bennett's objectives versus Packers objectives.

What's really interesting is to compare that overview with the unadulterated venom in this thread.  From my perspective, at least some of the character assassination here is directly associated with the color of Bennett's skin and the prior incident his brother had being profiled by the 5-0.

Standby for the attacks against my perspective.
Great assessment which might be very close to the truth if not spot on... until you went to the race card. 

I just don't see it. 

It’s not about black or white; it’s about green.  Bennett wanted to have surgery which would have likely guaranteed his salary for next year.  GB didn’t want to pay it so they cut him & lied about him withholding the injury.  He responds with lies about the GB Doc.  No racism, just money.
That's a pretty fair summary

not one person here said.anything about his skin color until VDstudent brought it up and said everyone here hates him because of his skin color. classic. when all else fails, racism. it's like that histlry channel aliens guy that attributes everything to aliens... except this is even more ridiculous. 

take your BS back to the FFA

Anyone with half a brain knows exactly what happened here. Rodgers got hurt, and Bennett quit on Green Bay. End of story. Anyone trying to defend that is being willfully ignorant.
And anyone with a fully functioning brain knows that Bennett decided not to risk his health for a hopeless cause & was trying to take advantage of one of the only loopholes that benefits the players & GB got pissed & tried to get out of their contractual responsibility by lying about Bennett’s injury.  Anyone trying to pretend that GB doesn’t share the blame here is also being willfully ignorant.  

Does anyone know if the failure to disclose injury includes his mental state? They did sign him to a 3 year deal with a nice signing bonus. Now after 8 weeks he starts talking about retirement after this year. If he retired would the Packers get a portion of the signing bonus back? Or is this their only recourse?

And anyone with a fully functioning brain knows that Bennett decided not to risk his health for a hopeless cause & was trying to take advantage of one of the only loopholes that benefits the players & GB got pissed & tried to get out of their contractual responsibility by lying about Bennett’s injury.  Anyone trying to pretend that GB doesn’t share the blame here is also being willfully ignorant.  
There was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt. There was only injury talk after Rodgers got hurt. The math on this is pretty easy, and it all equals Bennett not being honest about what is going on. Pretty clear way more Green Bay players have lined up to defend their medical staff than have lined up to defend Bennett. It's crystal clear that Bennett is the issue. 

There was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt. There was only injury talk after Rodgers got hurt. The math on this is pretty easy, and it all equals Bennett not being honest about what is going on. Pretty clear way more Green Bay players have lined up to defend their medical staff than have lined up to defend Bennett. It's crystal clear that Bennett is the issue. 
Read your first line-there was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt.  So when GB signed Bennett, and he passed a physical, he did not have a torn rotator cuff.  

Then, he hurt his shoulder (while playing for GB), but plays through the pain (b/c that has been his history).  This point is based on Bennett’s claim that he indicated shoulder pain each week to the GB staff.  We can’t know this true,but no one from GB has denied it.

Rodgers then gets hurt,the team is woefully unprepared at backup QB, but the HC insists he is happy with his QB room, even though it’s obvious to EVERYONE that Hundley sucks.  Bennett figures “why should I keep playing through the pain, if there’s no shot at a championship & if the team won’t even try to improve at QB?”  

So he goes to outside Docs, AS IS HIS RIGHT, is told he should get surgery, decides to get surgery, AS IS HIS RIGHT, then GB decides to cut him, and say he withheld an injury.  As you’ve already admitted, there was no injury talk before Rodgers got hurt, so this is a blatant lie by GB, in an attempt to save themselves from paying Bennett what they’d be contractually obligated to pay him (one of the only instances when the contracts in the NFL favor the player).

As I’ve previously admitted, Bennett appears to have decided playing through the pain isn’t worth it worth Hundley @QB; this DOES NOT mean the injury isn’t legitimate.  In fact, it has been confirmed that he has a torn rotator cuff.  So, he’s not “faking an injury.”  He wasn’t hurt when he signed with GB, as they made no note of any injury when he passed their physical. So the injury occurred while playing football for the GB Packers.  They don’t want to pay him what they owe, so they lie about him to try to get out of their obligations.  Player with legitimate injury who could try to play through injury but elects not to IS NOT a legitimate way to get out of a contract,so GB LIED!  

It’s quite clear that Bennett decided not to play for a team with no shot,had a legitimate injury that he’d have played through with Rodgers at QB, but not Hundley;  GB didn’t want to pay him, so lied to try to get out of their obligations.

The only type of person who can’t see that is the type of person who thinks that his drunk wife didn’t do anything wrong when goes into a men’s BR with a guy she has a crush on, then comes out with her underwear on wrong. :P

He's so injured he can jump right onto the practice field in New England. Whatever man. Continue to blame the organization, that is fine. I don't trust Bennett one bit, and his history indicates bigger issues over time. I'll take the reputation of the Green Bay front office and medical staff over that of Bennett. 

Enjoy the rest of the NFL Season.

He's so injured he can jump right onto the practice field in New England. Whatever man. Continue to blame the organization, that is fine. I don't trust Bennett one bit, and his history indicates bigger issues over time. I'll take the reputation of the Green Bay front office and medical staff over that of Bennett. 

Enjoy the rest of the NFL Season.
Did you read any of my posts?  Do you think there is only black & white in these matters, no grey?  Both sides have lied & made bad decisions here.

I clearly said that Bennett had an injury that he’d have played through (he WAS playing through) with Rodgers at QB.  After Rodgers got hurt, he went to an outside Dr who advised surgery (multiple Docs, I think). This is a player’s right.  He chose surgery.  This is also a players right. GB decided they didn’t like the fact he quit on them when Rodgers got hurt (which is understandable), so they chose to cut him, which is a team’s right.  But they decided to lie & say he hid an injury.  This is not a teams right.  

These are the facts we know:

GB gave him a physical & deemed him healthy in the offseason.  This is a fact.

He now has a torn rotator cuff.  This is a fact.

Due to facts 1 & 2, he must have sustained the shoulder injury while playing for GB.  This is a fact.

A Doctor has advised surgery.  This is a fact.

Players have the right to elect to undergo surgery, OR to try to play through pain.  This is a fact.

Bennett decided not to play through pain with Hundley @QB, then, after GB cut him, he elected to play through the pain, with NE.  That doesn’t change any of the facts above.  GB is trying to get out of their contractual obligations by lying about Bennett.  Bennett responded by lying about GB’s Doc.  

With regards to the contractual rightness/wrongness, GB is at fault here.

Enjoy the rest of your season, as well.

while you guys have an extremely interesting debate going on, who cares?!?!

I predict less than 200 yards and 2 TD's for ROS.

while you guys have an extremely interesting debate going on, who cares?!?!

I predict less than 200 yards and 2 TD's for ROS.
I was thinking the same thing... Two receptions/game max...

They are both rid of each other.  You would think GB and Bennett would be satisfied with the divorce.

And, my last post on this. I'm not sure how anyone can be backing Bennett at this point. It's more clear than ever that he has not been honest about what went down.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/11/15/packers-players-refute-martellus-bennetts-fabrication-regarding-team-doctor/868852001/

"Bakhtiari missed the rest of the Packers' game at Minnesota, a loss in which backup quarterback Brett Hundley could’ve used his blindside protector.

So after hearing former Packers tight end Martellus Bennett’s allegations last week that McKenzie pressured him to play after deciding to get shoulder surgery, Bakhtiari said he was upset.

“Flat out,” Bakhtiari said, “what he’s saying is crap.”

Bakhtiari was hardly the only Packers player angry about Bennett’s allegations against their team doctor.

Right guard Jahri Evans said “we all know there was some fabrication” in Bennett’s statement. Receiver Jordy Nelson said he thought Bennett’s accusations were “nonsense.”

"I think everyone knows what’s the truth," Nelson said.

Outside linebacker Clay Matthews pointed to the inconsistencies in Bennett’s timeline.

After deciding in Green Bay his shoulder injury required surgery, Bennett was active for the New England Patriots on Sunday night after being claimed last week. Bennett even caught three passes for 38 yards.

“He seemed to suit up and looked good on Sunday night,” Matthews said." 

Matthews said he and teammates “got a good laugh from” Bennett explaining how his release from the Packers unfolded, specifically that McKenzie would ever ask a player to jeopardize his health by playing.

“My experience has been fantastic with Pat,” Matthews said. “I think he’s an awesome doc. I think he puts our health in front of the team first and foremost. In fact, I think a lot of people have gotten on his case because he’s too conservative. So I wouldn’t put much merit into those comments made.

“I think it really speaks volumes to hear everybody’s rebuttal, and come to his aid in that regard as opposed to the other person.”

Well, he got his wish to get his contract locked in. I hope he made sound financial decisions. Hopefully none of these channels shove a microphone in his face in the future.

Forget to mention the discussion I heard on the radio about Bennett. If he retires, he will have to return a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus and his team would get appropriate salary cap credit. However, since NE took on his contract when he was released be GB, those benefits would go to NE not GB. The Packers are apparently going to file a grievance over that, but as things look now NE would be the one that holds the contract. 

Forget to mention the discussion I heard on the radio about Bennett. If he retires, he will have to return a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus and his team would get appropriate salary cap credit. However, since NE took on his contract when he was released be GB, those benefits would go to NE not GB. The Packers are apparently going to file a grievance over that, but as things look now NE would be the one that holds the contract. 
That makes zero sense. I find it hard to believe. I would love to see that from a neutral source.

If it IS the case, that is some seriously screwed up league rules. 

Seems odd if that is the case since not a single one of the articles talking about the Packers possibly filing a grievance seeking repayment of his signing bonus mentioned such a possibility.

That makes zero sense. I find it hard to believe. I would love to see that from a neutral source.

If it IS the case, that is some seriously screwed up league rules. 

Seems odd if that is the case since not a single one of the articles talking about the Packers possibly filing a grievance seeking repayment of his signing bonus mentioned such a possibility.
I do not believe this situation has happened before (team cuts player, team plans to recoup signing bonus, other team claims contract, player may retire).  The discussion made it sound that whoever held the contract got the credit/rebate. Bennett hasn’t retired, so that may be why this issue hasn’t really come to light yet. 

I hope the Patriots bring Bennett back. He’s still fairly young and won’t cost a ton against the cap. With Gronk on the fence about coming back I think it’s likely to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread