What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Stetson Bennett, LAR (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I couldn't find a thread on him, so I thought I would create one. He's old (26 in Oct.) for a rookie QB and has size going against him (5'11" 192), so I'm not sure he will ever have a fantasy impact, but anything is possible. However, he looked good in his first preseason game, but not so much in the 2nd.

Here is a scouting report from nfldraftbuzz. Not saying they are a reliable source, but you can google any scouting report on Bennett.

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Good (not elite) arm strength and can make most the NFL throws with effortless intermediate passes.
  • Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and has the quick-thinking and football IQ to change plays at the line.
  • Very confident passer and shows good accuracy and feel when in rhythm. Showed better ball placement from past years and throws very catchable passes
  • Picks up yards with his legs when needed and shows a natural affinity to avoid pressure and buy time
  • Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness, and deceptive speed as a runner.
  • Has a quick release - making him tough to sack
  • Has a natural instinct for the game and a fantastic never say die attitude - that so far have managed to make up for his average athletic skills
  • Sprays the ball anywhere on the field, especially when given a pocket from which to deliver. Will step up into the pocket while looking downfield, reset his feet and deliver.
  • Natural leader who's well respected by all his teammates

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Bennett often holds the ball too long. While Bennett keeps his eyes up while moving, his mechanics get increasingly sloppy once he’s pushed off his spot.
  • It's obvious why Bennett isn't viewed a highly rated NFL prospect - he's diminutive in the pocket at just 5-11 (at a push!) and 190 Lbs. He may struggle to stay healthy when not playing behind a Bulldog line
  • His arm strength is decent but less than ideal; he lacks a little zip, and accuracy becomes an issue when he’s unable or unwilling to set his feet.
  • Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws.

PLAYER COMPARISON​

Seneca Wallace

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Stetson Bennett is a classic overachiever, despite having very average measurables he's managed to carve out a hugely impressive college career while battling adversity at Georgia. He possesses a great feel for the game, is a natural leader on the field, and is an elite short to medium-range passer with a nice developed quick release. He however is very small for the position at just 190 lbs (without the frame to add much more weight) and this really will limit his pro value, especially given that other successful NFL QBs of similar stature have all had stronger arms than Stetson or been much better athletes.

Currently we view Stetson as a solid NFL backup - but we are pretty confident he can carve out a nice career in the pros. Expect Stetson to be selected in the 5th to 7th rounds of the 2023 NFL Draft.

Last edited:
Like him.
What more can you ask a QB to do in college? People were unfairly critical of him.
I like this QB class. There may be more average players than stars but I think there's far more than normal.

He's done well in camp and week one of preseason so that's good enough to brush off week two to some degree.

Like him.
What more can you ask a QB to do in college? People were unfairly critical of him.
I like this QB class. There may be more average players than stars but I think there's far more than normal.

He's done well in camp and week one of preseason so that's good enough to brush off week two to some degree.
He’s still 26 and a backup rookie, so from a dynasty perspective I don’t see the long term upside at the moment. That could change. This all without considering his measurable‘s or suspect arm strength.

Like him.

He’s still 26 and a backup rookie, so from a dynasty perspective I don’t see the long term upside at the moment. That could change. This all without considering his measurable‘s or suspect arm strength.
I think that's often overstated.
Not many QBs play well from age 22 to 35. Probably elites do.
If he takes over for Stafford next year and plays well eight years, are you really complaining nine years from now?

I just saw Seneca Wallace? Cmon now

If you wanna be negative, Colt McCoy is one I saw. Fine college career, heckuva winner, short etc.

I think his ceiling is Brees for some years.

He's very smart and has had every DC try something he never saw before and quite experienced and tested.

Ridder was always top ten? Top five? And going to supposedly be an awful pro. That wasn't fair either. It's fine whoever has an opinion and they don't have to be a fan but can't the guy get a shot he earned? Bennett's the same, even better for what he accomplished, give the guy a chance.

The draft gurus loved Akili Smith and Sam Darnold and sooo many and were wrong.

I prefer this accomplishments towards the next level thinking over athleticism grades. To each their own

Rams GM Les Snead said Stetson Bennett is expected to participate in offseason workouts.
We haven’t heard much about Bennett since the team drafted him in the fourth round of last year’s draft. Head coach Sean McVay said in February that the team is undecided about Bennett’s future, adding that “at the appropriate time” the team will decide whether or not it’s ideal to bring him back. An opportunity to workout in OTAs suggests the Rams are going to give Bennett an opportunity to stick on the team this offseason, but his roster spot feels far from secured.

There were videos of him working with a QB coach and prospects. He looked darn good.

Some of the comments were about his clear complexion and if that was a result of rehab and ya know he is healthy now or not. Little weird but whatever, he looked good in drills in February or March

There were videos of him working with a QB coach and prospects. He looked darn good.

Some of the comments were about his clear complexion and if that was a result of rehab and ya know he is healthy now or not. Little weird but whatever, he looked good in drills in February or March
He will be 27 in October and hasn't played a down in the NFL

He will be 27 in October and hasn't played a down in the NFL
Best college QB I've seen in a long time.
I understand I was thoroughly impressed with Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy one year so college success and/or my point of view isn't so strong but he looked darn good.
People nitpicked him and he fell and I thought the criticism was wayyy too harsh for a guy that won as much as he did.
I think I stopped reading when someone compared him to Chad Pennington's weak arm. Just...cmon now, he made the throws to win.
Malik Willis and what's his name from Tennessee that can throw it 70 yards, what good is that? Yet that's the redeeming quality of draft time and not "he won championships."

I don't care his age with guys playing til 40+. I find myself more concerned with the beatings they took behind a bad OL.

He looked real good when I watched him one game last summer. I read he struggled in the next but didn't catch that one.

fwiw I had an issue with Levis being ranked ahead of Sean Clifford. Since when is the guy that can't beat out the starter the better option? Same w Taamu that can't get an honest chance in the NFL but Heinicke has.

who was that guy in Eagles camp that threw 20-30 passes all summer? Strong? Why was he out of the league so fast?

ramble ramble JohnnyU sorry I guess it's rooted in they make me watch Darnold for a fourth chance or Grossman for a seventh or Rosen or...but these guys don't get a chance? I want a more natural sort of expectant flow of subs at the QB position. I can't believe Shanahan says a few nice words and Darnold is now a supposed starter. How about Stidham? It's just ugh for me

Yeah, I'm not concerned about his age, if I was I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place, I'm more concerned with 2023 being basically a total loss and the pick up in Stafford's play making it not viable to hang on beyond this offseason, only way I don't see him being a cut is injuries to those ahead of him in pre season

Reactions: Bri

Users who are viewing this thread