Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jayrok

Beach Umbrella or Canopy?

Looking for any insight or experience with a good product for shade at the beach. I've used only umbrellas, but have seen the canopies (or tent) like those that are common for tailgating at ballgames. For canopy, 10 x 10 feet will work fine.

Is there any product/brand that works best in wind typical for the beach?

Comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Jay

My family meets at the beach every summer, and we use outdoor canopies which work great. We use two 10x10s. They came from Walmart, and we have used them for years.

I've always used umbrellas - the ones I have are awful in the wind though.

Canopies are ideal when there's not strong winds and you need extra space. Some negatives are that they take 2 or more persons to quickly set up and they are easily damaged if they take off from a wind gust.

For a small more portable solution I've been very happy with this: Sport-bella along with a nice corkscrew stake like this: Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor. Stand it up for just shade or lay it on the ground for a wind breaker. Costco has carried this umbrellas the past few years for about $40.

Canopies are ideal when there's not strong winds and you need extra space. Some negatives are that they take 2 or more persons to quickly set up and they are easily damaged if they take off from a wind gust.

We have never had our canopies take off from the wind, and we used to leave them on the beach overnight until a town ordinance rule was established a couple years ago saying beach gear can't be left on the beach overnight anymore. It does take a couple people to set up the canopy, but after that if you're at the beach for say a week, you can just fold it it up (and keep the top attached to bring on the beach the next day) and carry it back to your beach house. You don't have to take the top off until you are packing it up to put it back into it's carrying case to take home. We make sure all the legs on the canopy are buried in the sand good to assure it won't take flight from the wind.

I've been using this for the past few years.

http://compare.ebay....mTypes&var=sbar

:lmao:

No offense, but no way I could walk out onto a beach carrying one of those and opening that puppy up for a day of sun.

Dude...I'm 43 with 3 teenage boys. Go to the beach for 2 weeks with 15-20 members of my wife's family. With this, I come and go from the beach whenever I want and don't have to help setup/breakdown anything down if I don't feel like it. :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards getting the canopy as I'll have my son with me to set it up.

Canopies are great. As others have mentioned, just make sure it's anchored well, and if you leave it out overnight, just lower it all the way. Here is one we used with good results last year: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shade-Tech-Instant-Compact-Canopy/1173741.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcanopy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=canopy&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

We did make the mistake of leaving it up all the way overnight. A storm came in and bent the hell out of the frame, and we ended up having to throw it away at the end of our trip because it could not be refolded, so just make sure that you do lower it when not in use.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards getting the canopy as I'll have my son with me to set it up.

Wife's cousin uses one and bought the Umbrella corkscrew stakes for each leg so that the wind is less of an issue. Might check the canopy legs to see if they will fit in those corkscrews or not when buying.