What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (3 Viewers)

15 orders placed in 2012

15 orders placed in 2011

Still, I take advantage of the free movies and books to make it worth it. Amazon rules.

47 orders placed in the last 6 months...

28 orders placed in 2012

67 orders placed in 2011

47 orders placed in 2010

53 orders placed in 2009

23 orders placed in 2008

1 order placed in 2007

4 orders placed in 2006

Yeah, guess which year I started my Prime membership? :)

29 Orders in 2012

124 Orders in 2011

103 Orders in 2010

I may go back and see what the most expensive item purchased was and what my favorite item purchased is over each year.

Whoever it is that runs this company knows what they are doing. It's one of the best companies in America imo.

Whoever it is that runs this company knows what they are doing. It's one of the best companies in America imo.
Exactly. It's rare (if ever) that you ever hear of a negative experience when buying from Amazon. When a company builds this level of fan support from it's customers.... when they are HAPPY to give them their hard earned money... THAT is a well run company.

Exactly. It's rare (if ever) that you ever hear of a negative experience when buying from Amazon. When a company builds this level of fan support from it's customers.... when they are HAPPY to give them their hard earned money... THAT is a well run company.
I've had stuff not show up and they just sent me another shipment. No run around, no problems. Just sent me another one. :thumbup:

Dang, I tell people I "use Amazon for everything" and I only had 45 orders in 2011.

Typical order has 3 or 4 items though.

Great stuff so far, thanks. Guess I need to look at Amazon more and see if I would buy more everyday stuff if I had free shipping.
I think all the same stuff that qualifies for free shipping on Prime also qualifies for free shipping using Super Saver shipping. The question is whether you want to bundle your purchases to make sure you always buy at least $25 of stuff at a time, and wait a week instead of a couple days to receive it.There's no question that Prime is more convenient. But for me, I don't think it's $80/yr more convenient.
You must not be doing that many orders? If you are doing a lot of orders you're paying <$1 an item to get everything earlier.But a bigger reason is that over the course of a year there will always be a handful of things I want in less than a week. Without Prime I'd be paying around $80 a year on 2-day shipping anyway.

I only played with the streaming for about a half hour when I first signed up in December but is it all free? I seem to recall seeing that I would have to pay for episodes/seasons/movies etc. Are only certain titles free? I'd like to dump Netflix streaming because they suck now.

ETA Streaming through my Blu Ray player to my TV

Last edited by a moderator:
I only played with the streaming for about a half hour when I first signed up in December but is it all free? I seem to recall seeing that I would have to pay for episodes/seasons/movies etc. Are only certain titles free? I'd like to dump Netflix streaming because they suck now.ETA Streaming through my Blu Ray player to my TV
Certain titles are free. A lot of stuff that you see free elsewhere.

'17seconds said:
Great stuff so far, thanks. Guess I need to look at Amazon more and see if I would buy more everyday stuff if I had free shipping.
I think all the same stuff that qualifies for free shipping on Prime also qualifies for free shipping using Super Saver shipping. The question is whether you want to bundle your purchases to make sure you always buy at least $25 of stuff at a time, and wait a week instead of a couple days to receive it.There's no question that Prime is more convenient. But for me, I don't think it's $80/yr more convenient.
You must not be doing that many orders? If you are doing a lot of orders you're paying <$1 an item to get everything earlier.But a bigger reason is that over the course of a year there will always be a handful of things I want in less than a week. Without Prime I'd be paying around $80 a year on 2-day shipping anyway.
I guess I haven't done that many orders. I've placed 9 orders so far in 2012, 23 orders in 2011, and 37 orders in 2010. Most orders contain several items so that I hit the $25-per-order mark.But more importantly, I've ordered mostly books, DVDs, and nutritional supplements. Some household items. Some office supplies. But in no case did I really care about getting it in 2 days versus 7 days. I've got time . . .

'GoFishTN said:
I've had stuff not show up and they just sent me another shipment. No run around, no problems. Just sent me another one. :thumbup:
I had a big baby seat thing come that it turns out another family member also bought. I ordered something else and asked how to send the other item back. They told me to keep it. Over a 200 dollar item. :hifive:

I look at it this way, my time is worth way more then 80 bucks. If I purchase more then 4 20 dollar items in a year through amazon I've made my money back. I work 5 days a week 40 hours. I'm off weekends, so the cost of gas, the item and more importantly my time to drive to the mall four times in a year makes 80 bucks seem cheap. I'd rather spend my free time with my family or playing my bagpipes. Not driving to the mall.

The downside of the 3.99 overnight upgrade.

Yesterday I ordered a new Yamaha receiver. Great price and 3.99 upcharge for overnight.

I also order an hdmi cable, banana jacks and a subwoofer cable. Since I wanted to get it all hooked up today, I went ahead and paid another 3.99 for each item to get them today as well.

Got a message today that the receiver will not arrive until tomorrow. So I blew an extra 11.97 getting all the other stuff overnighted, when I cannot possible use them until tomorrow- and it would have been free to get them then.

sigh

'cosjobs said:
The downside of the 3.99 overnight upgrade.Yesterday I ordered a new Yamaha receiver. Great price and 3.99 upcharge for overnight.I also order an hdmi cable, banana jacks and a subwoofer cable. Since I wanted to get it all hooked up today, I went ahead and paid another 3.99 for each item to get them today as well.Got a message today that the receiver will not arrive until tomorrow. So I blew an extra 11.97 getting all the other stuff overnighted, when I cannot possible use them until tomorrow- and it would have been free to get them then.sigh
I'd bet that if you relay this information to customer service, you will be given a credit for the $11.97. Worth a try.

'cosjobs said:
The downside of the 3.99 overnight upgrade.Yesterday I ordered a new Yamaha receiver. Great price and 3.99 upcharge for overnight.I also order an hdmi cable, banana jacks and a subwoofer cable. Since I wanted to get it all hooked up today, I went ahead and paid another 3.99 for each item to get them today as well.Got a message today that the receiver will not arrive until tomorrow. So I blew an extra 11.97 getting all the other stuff overnighted, when I cannot possible use them until tomorrow- and it would have been free to get them then.sigh
I'd bet that if you relay this information to customer service, you will be given a credit for the $11.97. Worth a try.
I called them this morning. THe rep started arguing with me that the delivery date for the receiver was tomorrow. I told her I click the overnight box and paid the extra 3.99, so I did not even look at the delivery date. She started arguing some more and I told her to please review the account and make the adjustments, I was done with the call and not going to spend any more time arguing over $11. I was extremely disappointed with how the matter was handled and I hope it is not an indicator of the future customer service. That was always one of their strong points in my previous dealing with them.

'cosjobs said:
I called them this morning. THe rep started arguing with me that the delivery date for the receiver was tomorrow. I told her I click the overnight box and paid the extra 3.99, so I did not even look at the delivery date. She started arguing some more and I told her to please review the account and make the adjustments, I was done with the call and not going to spend any more time arguing over $11. I was extremely disappointed with how the matter was handled and I hope it is not an indicator of the future customer service. That was always one of their strong points in my previous dealing with them.
I'd call and complain, I've NEVER heard about a bad experience from amazon customer service. Ever. Bed they give you your 11 bucks and then some. Don't want to wait on hold, download fastcustomer on your phone and it will ring when they are on the line.

'cosjobs said:
I'd call and complain, I've NEVER heard about a bad experience from amazon customer service. Ever. Bed they give you your 11 bucks and then some. Don't want to wait on hold, download fastcustomer on your phone and it will ring when they are on the line.
Actually, submitting through the website, will likely get you a faster/better answer without dealing with the phone at all.

Oh - and Cos, GB, I believe that what likely happened is that your receiver was on the East Coast and so past the time you could order and get it truly "next day" because it couldn't be picked and make the last next day truck out (or that truck was already gone). The shipping you purchase is technically 1 day shipping not "next day" shipping. The other items likely came out of Kansas or Phoenix and so could still be picked and shipped that day. I know it can be easy to miss the "Get it by X date" message you see when you choose shipping - I've done it plenty of times myself and I should know better.

That said, CS should have handled the situation better and I'm surprised they didn't just credit you the shipping. It could be someone who is not new and complaining about it shoud yield results. As I said above, I would do it through the website to better document it and save the hassle with the phone system.

Oh - and Cos, GB, I believe that what likely happened is that your receiver was on the East Coast and so past the time you could order and get it truly "next day" because it couldn't be picked and make the last next day truck out (or that truck was already gone). The shipping you purchase is technically 1 day shipping not "next day" shipping. The other items likely came out of Kansas or Phoenix and so could still be picked and shipped that day. I know it can be easy to miss the "Get it by X date" message you see when you choose shipping - I've done it plenty of times myself and I should know better.
Exactly. Some items have noon cutoffs for next day... some as late as 5 or 6pm (CT). Just depends on where the warehouse is and when their pickup is.

Exactly. Some items have noon cutoffs for next day... some as late as 5 or 6pm (CT). Just depends on where the warehouse is and when their pickup is.
None were obviously displayed. If they offer one day shipping, my assumption is that I will have the item tomorrow, or they should bring it to my attention when I try and buy it. Its a weaknees, not a huge problem, but clarity has always been a strong point of my communications with them and seems a little weak in this particular area.

'cosjobs said:
'[icon] said:
None were obviously displayed. If they offer one day shipping, my assumption is that I will have the item tomorrow, or they should bring it to my attention when I try and buy it. Its a weaknees, not a huge problem, but clarity has always been a strong point of my communications with them and seems a little weak in this particular area.
The date being promised is shown when you choose the one day option. It isn't a pop up or anything but the text next to the radial button will read "Choose one day shipping for $3.95 and receive your order by Wednesday, April 18, 2012". Again, I know it's easy to miss because I've done it many times. The larger issue here is how CS handled the matter. Arguing with the customer is not something they are trained to do and even when technically in the right, it is well within any individual's CS's power to do a shipping charge concession, which they should have done here.

I do not mean to sound overly negative. The real problem is that they have established such high standards, that even a little deviation seems to be a bigger deal than it is. I am still a huge fan and this was a tiny blip in our relationship.

Just bought some GPS watches listed at $156 NEW via a 3rd party, when I got them they were marked refurbished.

Sent email, got a reply from the 3rd party who acknolwedged it was an issue, said they tried calling me and other customer who purchased, but they had my incorrect number. They issued me a return label I sent it today, hopefully all goes well.

So what are other regular things you people buy that are worth looking into savingswise?

Any daily household items?

So what are other regular things you people buy that are worth looking into savingswise?

Any daily household items?
Look into Subscribe and Save - preorder household items and you can save $$, normally less (even with delivery) than BJs/Costcos. Packages just show up at our door once a month, once every other month or whatever time period you sign up for. Paper towels, TP, garbage bags, lotion, etc.Subscribe and Save

So, to take this in a somewhat new direction, what items are Amazon selling for less versus your local retailer? I ordered a bathing suit for my daughter recently and was offered a free month of Prime, and I'm trying to figure out what might make us stay after the month is up. We aren't in the market for a new TV or anything, and we do the Netflix streaming, so I'm curious if there are day-to-day items in the marketplace that might add up to $79/year.

Taking into account the time and effort to buy something local, I consider an equivalent price on Amazon to be better. I usually have no issue waiting 2 days for stuff.

stuff I order regularly:

all electronics accessories

birthday gifts

toys

hair products

books

sports equipment, running shoes

My wife has a separate login so I don't know our exact number but I'd guess 35 orders this year.

So, to take this in a somewhat new direction, what items are Amazon selling for less versus your local retailer? I ordered a bathing suit for my daughter recently and was offered a free month of Prime, and I'm trying to figure out what might make us stay after the month is up. We aren't in the market for a new TV or anything, and we do the Netflix streaming, so I'm curious if there are day-to-day items in the marketplace that might add up to $79/year.
Just emailed you an invite to amazon mom. Now you can have 3 free months of prime.One thing I buy is dog food. I'm not sure if its a lot cheaper, but you get the fancy stuff in two days and never have to hit the pet store.

I've made 30 purchases this year as well as watched several shows via their streaming service. I haven't done the math, but I assume I'm at least breaking even here. Once they get same day delivery, it's going to be over for just about every other retailer out there.

razors, shaving cream, toiletries, electronics usually, basically just about anything.

I probably don't use it for as much as I should, but it's great for certain kitchen equipment.

It's probably worth it just for Christmas shopping.

I probably don't use it for as much as I should, but it's great for certain kitchen equipment.

It's probably worth it just for Christmas shopping.
This. A few years back my wife and I set a goal of buying every Christmas present on Amazon (meaning we didn't have to set foot in a store). We were successful and it was glorious.

I have been a Prime member for probably three years. I just love the convenience, like reading a thread here the other night and ordering the recommended book and getting it in 2 days. Plus it's nice not having to spend $25 for free shipping. As others have mentioned I do all of my Christmas shopping online, usually 90% from Amazon. I have yet to have one bad experience with this company, it's extremely well run in my opinion.

43 orders placed in the last 6 months

Also a great companion to having Amazon Prime is also having the Amazon Visa. We use it to purchase everything we can and build up points quickly. We buy everything we possibly can through Amazon. From an air conditioner to an 18 count of sponges. And it's always with points.

There are probably credit cards with better points systems, but being able to go on Amazon and order some Quilted Northern Ultra Soft Bath Tissue in a couple of clicks for "free" is totally worth it.

240 orders placed in 2013
Well done
So you average an order from amazon every 27 hours :o
The latest promotions give you a discount by subscribing to common household products(like paper towels, laundry detergent, etc) so they are automatically ordered for you in a time frame that works for how often you use the product and typically run out. If you have a bunch of those products being sent to your front door automatically so you don't have to go out in the real world and shop for them I can definitely see people with that many purchases in less than a year.

Theoretically, they should be able to give you a much better price than all the overhead involved in a traditional retail store(unless you are one of those super-coupon people). Even if it wasn't cheaper I think I'd pay for the convenience of having items I need appear on my front doorstep.

Users who are viewing this thread