What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (6 Viewers)

The Seattle Times expects Russell Wilson to start the Seahawks' third preseason game on Friday.Per beat writer Danny O'Neil, there are "multiple indications" Wilson will be the choice over Matt Flynn. The third preseason game is typically the dress rehearsal for the regular season, though Flynn played the entire first half of each of Seattle's first two exhibition contests. Perhaps coach Pete Carroll feels Flynn has already put in enough time with the first-team offense, and wants to give Wilson a shot with the starters out of fairness. Wilson has lit it up with the reserves, completing 22-of-33 passes for 279 yards, three touchdowns and a pick while adding eight rushes for 92 yards and another score.
All speculation but we should hear today who is starting the 3rd game. If it is Russell and he lights it up again I don't think they can do anything but start him week 1.

The Seattle Times expects Russell Wilson to start the Seahawks' third preseason game on Friday.Per beat writer Danny O'Neil, there are "multiple indications" Wilson will be the choice over Matt Flynn. The third preseason game is typically the dress rehearsal for the regular season, though Flynn played the entire first half of each of Seattle's first two exhibition contests. Perhaps coach Pete Carroll feels Flynn has already put in enough time with the first-team offense, and wants to give Wilson a shot with the starters out of fairness. Wilson has lit it up with the reserves, completing 22-of-33 passes for 279 yards, three touchdowns and a pick while adding eight rushes for 92 yards and another score.
All speculation but we should hear today who is starting the 3rd game. If it is Russell and he lights it up again I don't think they can do anything but start him week 1.
Reminds me of the Kolb/Skelton situationThe front office is pushing for Kolb/Flynn for obvious reasons. The coaching staff is leaning to Wilson/Skelton

Reminds me of the Kolb/Skelton situationThe front office is pushing for Kolb/Flynn for obvious reasons. The coaching staff is leaning to Wilson/Skelton
From afar, it doesn't seem like the front office decisions have impacted who Carrol starts. Carrol preaches competition at all positions, best player wins, and since he's taken this job I haven't seen a case in which he's chosen a player because he was drafted higher or paid more.

Not true. The GM has followed Wilson for awhile now and was responsible for getting Carroll on board with him initially.

From afar, it doesn't seem like the front office decisions have impacted who Carrol starts. Carrol preaches competition at all positions, best player wins, and since he's taken this job I haven't seen a case in which he's chosen a player because he was drafted higher or paid more.
:goodposting:I can't speak for all Seattle fans, but its been a breath of fresh air. I love this notion that they are going to put the best player on the field regardless of contract status.

Not true. The GM has followed Wilson for awhile now and was responsible for getting Carroll on board with him initially.
Interesting. Didn't know that. I just remember the high fives in the war room when they picked him.

:goodposting:I can't speak for all Seattle fans, but its been a breath of fresh air. I love this notion that they are going to put the best player on the field regardless of contract status.
:thumbup: :yes:

It is impossible to ignore that there is small fraction of truth behind the FO pulling for Kolb/FlynnNo GM wants a wasted 10 mill guaranteed contract on his record. At the end of the day there are jobs at stake with these decisions.

The front office is pushing for Kolb/Flynn for obvious reasons.
I don't think this is accurate in Seattle. Schneider knows that winning is paramount. He's not going to take it personal if Wilson starts ahead of Flynn. Its not like Schneider selected Flynn as his boy and Carroll selected Wilson as his boy. I'm sure Schneider has just as much invested in both players. Schneider (and the owner Paul Allen) are going to be thrilled if the team is winning games and the backup is making more money than the starter. The notion that this is somehow evidence of a mistake is silly. Further, the "talk" coming from the current Seattle front office hasn't ever focused on the contract size of any individual player. However, there has been talk about the amount of money invested in a position group, and Seattle would still be way under the league average for quarterbacks if they were to keep Flynn, Wilson, and Jackson on the roster. That said I'm sure they would love to be put in the position where they are forced to raise the amount of money they have to invest in this group of quarterbacks (or just one of them) due to success.

It is impossible to ignore that there is small fraction of truth behind the FO pulling for Kolb/FlynnNo GM wants a wasted 10 mill guaranteed contract on his record. At the end of the day there are jobs at stake with these decisions.
He's playing with monopoly money..... its not a big deal. Paul Allen is worth 13 billion. Thats 4x more than the second closest NFL owner. If you are worth $300,000 for example.... he spent the equivalent of $230 on Flynn. He bought an Iphone and found out he really wanted an Android. Not a huge deal.

He's playing with monopoly money..... its not a big deal. Paul Allen is worth 13 billion. Thats 4x more than the second closest NFL owner. If you are worth $300,000 for example.... he spent the equivalent of $230 on Flynn. He bought an Iphone and found out he really wanted an Android. Not a huge deal.
There is a salary cap. Allen's net worth is irrelevant I'm not saying its a big deal or making a case for Kolb/Flynn. I am saying it reminds me of the the Kolb/Skelton situation. Kolb + Flynn will get every shot to win the job they just don't seem to be getting it done.

With Wilson especially this is the case. The guy put up Brees-liteish college numbers. The fantasy upside can't be ignored IMO.
Wilson's college statistics are better than Brees's.More passing yards (11720 to 11517)

More passing TDs (109 to 88)

Fewer interceptions (30 to 45)

Better passer rating (147.2 to 132.4)

More total yards (13201 to 12448)

More total TDs (133 to 103)

And Wilson did it in two BCS conferences, in two offensive systems. IMO he is a better prospect than Brees was.

Is it the same GM that brought in Wilson? When your guy beats out your guy, I don't know that it's that big a black eye. Both the Flynn and Wilson signings make sense. It's not like anyone had a crystal ball that guaranteed Wilson could overcome his height disadvantage. Heck, we don't even know for sure about that today.At the end of the day the total roster costs the same whether or not the Hawks won or lost that week. So if Wilson is better, he's going to get his chance, because there is more money in winning than in losing. No GM is going to think his job is secure because his higher paid QB is starting and losing games while the cheap kid who gives them a better chance to win is riding pine.What you deal with is bias. Once we commit, so to speak, we don't abandon those positions at the first report of negative data. We all naturally tend to discount data which contradicts our established understanding of a situation. In this case, the staff and front office may take longer to become convinced that Flynn should give way to Wilson than we would like. But it isn't because they are paying him more money, it'll be because they had already reached conclusions on Flynn and need more data to un-convince (to coin a term) them.

Carroll has final personnel decisions over the FO. Plus, they've not yet been afraid to play whoever they want no matter which vet or higher pick it's over. I don't think Whiz's power in AZ is anything like Pete's is in Seattle. There are similarities, but the situation isn't even close to comparable. Additionally, it's not as if Flynn has had his chance and played as poorly as Kolb has. Additionally, additionally the AZ QB situation is exactly why the way that Pete has built the team and then added a QB is a much better way than going after a QB and then throwing him onto the field behind no OL and a generally crappy team. I think even if Wilson lights it up, unless Flynn also completely bombs, Flynn starts the season at QB. There is a lot more work that goes into it for Pete to see than we get to see in the preseason games.

There is a salary cap. Allen's net worth is irrelevant I'm not saying its a big deal or making a case for Kolb/Flynn. I am saying it reminds me of the the Kolb/Skelton situation. Kolb + Flynn will get every shot to win the job they just don't seem to be getting it done.
How is Flynn not getting the job done? Kolb and Flynn's on field performances have been nothing alike. That's a huge factor tha affects your comparison. Flynn isn't doing poorly, at all.

With Wilson especially this is the case. The guy put up Brees-liteish college numbers. The fantasy upside can't be ignored IMO.
Wilson's college statistics are better than Brees's.More passing yards (11720 to 11517)

And Wilson did it in two BCS conferences, in two offensive systems. IMO he is a better prospect than Brees was.
Many of those are because RW started his whole career, Brees only had 43 PA as a frosh. At their peak Brees numbers are better IMO.Brees received far more accolades and was touted as a 1st rounder predraft. Wilson was widely thought of as a 4th-6th rounder.

How is Flynn not getting the job done? Kolb and Flynn's on field performances have been nothing alike. That's a huge factor tha affects your comparison. Flynn isn't doing poorly, at all.
I didn't say Flynn is doing poorly I said Flynn hasn't won the job. Separate points.

It is impossible to ignore that there is small fraction of truth behind the FO pulling for Kolb/Flynn

No GM wants a wasted 10 mill guaranteed contract on his record. At the end of the day there are jobs at stake with these decisions.
I didn't say Flynn is doing poorly I said Flynn hasn't won the job. Separate points.
That part I bolded made me think that you don't feel Flynn is getting the job done.

It is impossible to ignore that there is small fraction of truth behind the FO pulling for Kolb/Flynn

No GM wants a wasted 10 mill guaranteed contract on his record. At the end of the day there are jobs at stake with these decisions.
That part I bolded made me think that you don't feel Flynn is getting the job done.
As the first part of the sentence says, the job is to WIN the job.

As the first part of the sentence says, the job is to WIN the job.
Yes, but he IS getting the job done. We don't see all the practice and meetings. If Carroll thought Wilson was advanced enough, he would've flopped the starts for last week's game. There is a reason that Flynn is ahead of Wilson, it just may not be obvious when all we see is Wilson carving up second teamers.

Many of those are because RW started his whole career, Brees only had 43 PA as a frosh. At their peak Brees numbers are better IMO.
At their peak? You mean his sophomore year? If you feel like you're losing an argument just make stuff up. I can just see you hitting that "Add Reply" hoping that no one looks up the stats. I guess I could have posted them, but I'll let you look up those stats and figure out how to put some spin on it.
Brees received far more accolades and was touted as a 1st rounder predraft. Wilson was widely thought of as a 4th-6th rounder.
4th-6th? Again, just make stuff up and hope no one looks it up.

Many of those are because RW started his whole career, Brees only had 43 PA as a frosh. At their peak Brees numbers are better IMO.
At their peak? You mean his sophomore year? If you feel like you're losing an argument just make stuff up. I can just see you hitting that "Add Reply" hoping that no one looks up the stats. I guess I could have posted them, but I'll let you look up those stats and figure out how to put some spin on it.
Brees received far more accolades and was touted as a 1st rounder predraft. Wilson was widely thought of as a 4th-6th rounder.
4th-6th? Again, just make stuff up and hope no one looks it up.
Where did you see him going predraft? I dont recall a single source that I saw (a lot, but obviously not all) that had him higher then rounds 3-4 and higher than all the qbs drafted ahead of him. That's not to say he isn't a good player, but I don't recall much predraft hype.

Where did you see him going predraft? I dont recall a single source that I saw (a lot, but obviously not all) that had him higher then rounds 3-4 and higher than all the qbs drafted ahead of him. That's not to say he isn't a good player, but I don't recall much predraft hype.
3-4? That's not what he typed. Can you find a projection of Wilson as a 6th round pick? Sure. That's not hard. Look, the guy is working overtime to make a case against Wilson. He's more into saving face and hoping Wilson fails than looking at reality. Will Wilson get a chance to start? Perhaps. My guess is Flynn starts and I hope Seattle wins some games. Time will tell.EDIT: Working overtime? That's a wrong. He's not making a case against Wilson. He made a mistake in saying that Brees had better stats in college and is looking to somehow defend that error.

Last edited by a moderator:
3-4? That's not what he typed. Can you find a projection of Wilson as a 6th round pick? Sure. That's not hard. Look, the guy is working overtime to make a case against Wilson. He's more into saving face and hoping Wilson fails than looking at reality. Will Wilson get a chance to start? Perhaps. My guess is Flynn starts and I hope Seattle wins some games. Time will tell.
Incorrect. I am a Wilson fan and dynasty owner.As for the Brees numbers comparison... Brees was +60% and +3600 yds passing all 3 years as a starter. Wilson was 3027, 3563, 3175 and never over 60% comp%Their rushing numbers are fairly equal as well. Those numbers speak for themselves.As for the predraft grade... Its going to be subjective obviously. I thought the consensus was a 4th to 6th. I don't think anyone had him as a 1st or 2nd rounder.

One source had him in the 2nd.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=634877&view=findpost&p=14137544

As for the Brees numbers comparison... Brees was +60% and +3600 yds passing all 3 years as a starter. Wilson was 3027, 3563, 3175 and never over 60% comp%
Umm... he had a 72.8% completion percentage at Wisconsin. And had 33 TDs to 4 INTs. He finished the season with a NCAA single season passer rating of 191.8..Linky

As for the Brees numbers comparison... Brees was +60% and +3600 yds passing all 3 years as a starter. Wilson was 3027, 3563, 3175 and never over 60% comp%
Umm... he had a record setting 72.8% completion percentage at Wisconsin. And had 33 TDs to 4 INTs.
Yes you are correct. 1 year over 60%Since when is Drew Brees lite considered an insult anyways?

Umm... he had a record setting 72.8% completion percentage at Wisconsin. And had 33 TDs to 4 INTs.
Yes you are correct. 1 year over 60%Since when is Drew Brees lite considered an insult anyways?
So Brees has completion percentages of 60.8 and 60.5 and that's SOOOO much better than Wilson's 59.3 and 58.4. Way to cherry pick your numbers and make them look important. Brees' best year 63.4. Wilson's best year 72.8.

Since when is Drew Brees lite considered an insult anyways?
When the correct terminology would have been to call Brees Wilson-lite when comparing their college stats. If only there was one all encompassing stat you could point to when trying to evaluate a passer rating. Darn.Bree's has had a great NFL career. Wilson has hadno NFL career. Nobody should be arguing that Wilson will post equal stats due to their college careers.

I find it difficult to fathom Matt Flynn doesn't start the season. One must consider the competition Russell has faced. He will see substantially better schemes/attacks if he starts the ever-critical Week 3, which I believe is more about the staff determining their backup rather than their starter.

One source had him in the 2nd.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=634877&view=findpost&p=14137544
If he were 3" taller he'd have been neck and neck with RG3, I had no idea where he'd go in the draft but I don't feel comfortable saying any spot was a reach given his skills. He's just short.

Since when is Drew Brees lite considered an insult anyways?
Nobody should be arguing that Wilson will post equal stats due to their college careers.
Nobody should be arguing that Wilson's college numbers were better than Brees when they weren't.Nobody should be arguing that college stats are irrelevent.JMHOAgain, the Drew Brees college comparison was intended to be a compliment towards Wilson.

Many of those are because RW started his whole career, Brees only had 43 PA as a frosh.
Doesn't matter. Career passing attempts:Brees 1639

Wilson 1489

At their peak Brees numbers are better IMO.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree. My view of each's best season:Brees (SO) 361/569 (63.4%), 3983 passing yards (7.0 ypa), 39 passing TDs, 20 interceptions, 137.8 passer rating

Wilson (SR) 225/309 (72.8%), 3175 passing yards (10.3 ypa), 33 passing TDs, 4 interceptions, 191.8 passer rating

To some degree, apples and oranges due to the disparity in attempts. And if the argument is made that Wilson benefited more due to better surrounding cast, I think Wilson's sophomore year at N.C. State was also better.

Understood. This is the best data point against my statement. But Brees is 1-2 inches taller than Wilson. My contention is that if Wilson was two inches taller, he would have been a top 10 pick.And we've obviously seen many examples of scouts missing on elite players.

:shrug:

Don't know why Sabertooth, MAC and others have to keep repeating this... It was Russell's height that hurt his draft stock. That's it. He has ALL the tools to be a great NFL QB. I have no doubt he would have been a top 10 pick if he were 3 inches taller. Even 2 inches and he would have been an easy 1st rounder.

Not sure if it was posted, but The Badgers O-line is chock full of some big dudes. As a group they're bigger than quite a few NFL O-lines. The way Russell moves in the pocket plus his throwing motion make up for that difference, IMO. The guy can see the field.

I like Flynn, but don't think he is anything special physically. I can't overlook the benefits he had from years of Mike McCarthy's QB school and the Packers system and weapons. He did excel when Rodgers was calling the plays week 17, and looked good, so I will gladly give him a lot of credit for that. I just don't see some elite qualities in him like I do with Russel. I think it also says something when Flynn's former OC, Joe Philbin, didn't make a stronger effort to get him to be Miami's QB.

Many of those are because RW started his whole career, Brees only had 43 PA as a frosh.

Wilson 1489
It matters considering I was responding to a point about career passing yards. Your point is valid however.YPA numbers are devalued anymore because of the trend of the passing game being used more and more to substitute the running game.

Especially when considering fantasy upside in the current NFL, the Wiscy year just isn't a great data to draw conclusions from because of the system. Brees system at Purdue was night and day different from Wilson at Wiscy.

Wilson 1489
It matters considering I was responding to a point about career passing yards. Your point is valid however.YPA numbers are devalued anymore because of the trend of the passing game being used more and more to substitute the running game.

Especially when considering fantasy upside in the current NFL, the Wiscy year just isn't a great data to draw conclusions from because of the system. Brees system at Purdue was night and day different from Wilson at Wiscy.
Well, fortunately, we can look at how Wilson performed in a system other than Wisconsin's. Like I said, IMO Wilson's sophomore year was also better than any of Brees's seasons.Regardless, that's enough debating Wilson vs. Brees for me, I think the relevant points have been made. I think Wilson will be the Seattle starter sooner or later, and I have no reason to doubt that he will perform well. We'll see.

Good for him on getting this chance. I am interested to see how he does against guys that play on Sundays.

if (imo when) he plays well this week against starters, you'd have to think that the hawks will go with him into the regular season. he has a big play ability that flynn doesn't imo... flynn has shown them who he is thus far in preseason - safe, consistent, reliable. if wilson continues to show his big play ability then i think this job is his... his upside and, again, big play ability are just what the hawks need to go with their defense and solid run game.

Like I said, IMO Wilson's sophomore year was also better than any of Brees's seasons.
Here are both soph years just for reference. Wilson 224/378 59.3% 3027YDS 31TD 11INTS Rushing: 260yds 4TDsRecord: 5-7Fantasy points with normal scoring: 273Brees361/569 63.4% 3,983YDS 39TD 20INTSRushing: 193yds 3TDsRecord: 9-4Fantasy points with normal scoring: 312

if (imo when) he plays well this week against starters, you'd have to think that the hawks will go with him into the regular season. he has a big play ability that flynn doesn't imo... flynn has shown them who he is thus far in preseason - safe, consistent, reliable. if wilson continues to show his big play ability then i think this job is his... his upside and, again, big play ability are just what the hawks need to go with their defense and solid run game.
I keep hearing and seeing that Wilson has the advantage at QB due to having this huge upside vs Flynn.Many in the Wilson camp keep on pointing to Flynn being ordinary and that he does not have big play ability as an NFL QB. Also, in saying he has no big play ability they say he is what he is a conservative NFL QB.I don't know how anyone can say one way or the other that Flynn over the course of a season will not produce and have big play ability and put up big numbers. I mean he seemed to do ok in his start last year for producing some big plays and big numbers. He also threw the ball on a rope 50 yards down the field to Owens that should have been hauled in for a td if we are talking about producing those big plays.Wilson may beat out Flynn, but I am still not convinced that Flynn can't or won't be a very good starting NFL qb due to losing out to Wilson.

I keep hearing and seeing that Wilson has the advantage at QB due to having this huge upside vs Flynn.Many in the Wilson camp keep on pointing to Flynn being ordinary and that he does not have big play ability as an NFL QB. Also, in saying he has no big play ability they say he is what he is a conservative NFL QB.I don't know how anyone can say one way or the other that Flynn over the course of a season will not produce and have big play ability and put up big numbers. I mean he seemed to do ok in his start last year for producing some big plays and big numbers. He also threw the ball on a rope 50 yards down the field to Owens that should have been hauled in for a td if we are talking about producing those big plays.Wilson may beat out Flynn, but I am still not convinced that Flynn can't or won't be a very good starting NFL qb due to losing out to Wilson.
Common, Flynn has no upside. I mean, it's not like he holds any passing records for the Green Bay Packers or anything....

Who on earth would state with any confidence that Flynn has no upside? Is that code for "Wilson can scramble and Flynn doesn't look like much of a runner....so let's say Wilson has upside and Flynn doesn't."

Don't know why Sabertooth, MAC and others have to keep repeating this... It was Russell's height that hurt his draft stock. That's it. He has ALL the tools to be a great NFL QB. I have no doubt he would have been a top 10 pick if he were 3 inches taller. Even 2 inches and he would have been an easy 1st rounder. Not sure if it was posted, but The Badgers O-line is chock full of some big dudes. As a group they're bigger than quite a few NFL O-lines. The way Russell moves in the pocket plus his throwing motion make up for that difference, IMO. The guy can see the field. I like Flynn, but don't think he is anything special physically. I can't overlook the benefits he had from years of Mike McCarthy's QB school and the Packers system and weapons. He did excel when Rodgers was calling the plays week 17, and looked good, so I will gladly give him a lot of credit for that. I just don't see some elite qualities in him like I do with Russel. I think it also says something when Flynn's former OC, Joe Philbin, didn't make a stronger effort to get him to be Miami's QB.
Last years Wisconsin OL was the 4th biggest out of both college and pro OLs.

Who on earth would state with any confidence that Flynn has no upside? Is that code for "Wilson can scramble and Flynn doesn't look like much of a runner....so let's say Wilson has upside and Flynn doesn't."
who said he didn't have upside? i just said that wilson has more...

Don't know why Sabertooth, MAC and others have to keep repeating this... It was Russell's height that hurt his draft stock. That's it. He has ALL the tools to be a great NFL QB. I have no doubt he would have been a top 10 pick if he were 3 inches taller. Even 2 inches and he would have been an easy 1st rounder.

Not sure if it was posted, but The Badgers O-line is chock full of some big dudes. As a group they're bigger than quite a few NFL O-lines. The way Russell moves in the pocket plus his throwing motion make up for that difference, IMO. The guy can see the field.

I like Flynn, but don't think he is anything special physically. I can't overlook the benefits he had from years of Mike McCarthy's QB school and the Packers system and weapons. He did excel when Rodgers was calling the plays week 17, and looked good, so I will gladly give him a lot of credit for that. I just don't see some elite qualities in him like I do with Russel. I think it also says something when Flynn's former OC, Joe Philbin, didn't make a stronger effort to get him to be Miami's QB.
Last years Wisconsin OL was the 4th biggest out of both college and pro OLs.
And yet not big enough to beat the MIGHTY OREGON DUCKS!!!!!Job saving move here by Carroll going with Wilson. Guy must read this board. :coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread