What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

This twitter argument is ridiculous. Of course people are tweeting about him right now with his appeal pending. A far more relevant measure of his importance to the league would be to look at individual merchandise sales -- and Gordon doesn't make any of the top-x lists anywhere that I can find. He's absolutely not a big deal whatsoever in the leagues eyes.

Only 16 percent of US adults use twitter. A large percentage of them are in the 18-29 yr age. That age group represent less that 5% of the wealth in the US. Of the small percent left, only a fraction of them use twitter to follow the NFL.

I can almost guarantee you the NFL understands this and therefore puts very little weight on Twitter today.

I am pretty sure your "twitter blowing up" argument means close to nothing
This is a faulty argument because it assumes twitter exists in a vacuum. Its not necessarily the response on twitter that's significant, it's the mainstream media's obsession with reporting the response on twitter that makes "twitter blowing up" significant.
Also faulty because he mention the USA, solely.

Forgive me, but there's quite a few other countries that are VERY relevant to the NFL.

Faust said:
Yeah, he looked to me as though he had the "Who gives a ####, I'm not playing this year anyway attitude"
Right. He should dive for balls at his feet in preseason. What a slacker.
So his own coach didnt like the lack of effort, but you think it was justified?
Who said it was justified?

I think this coach is an idiot. First, he has his stars in late to "learn the offense". Then he questions preseason effort on terrible passes over the middle? He will be fired in 2 years or less.

I will tell you this, no other super star WR is out there diving at passes on their shoe tops. But we don't hear about it because their names aren't Josh Gordon.

There hasn't been any real news on this thread for at least 100 pages. Except that no one outside of Cleveland knows who Josh Gordon is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This twitter argument is ridiculous. Of course people are tweeting about him right now with his appeal pending. A far more relevant measure of his importance to the league would be to look at individual merchandise sales -- and Gordon doesn't make any of the top-x lists anywhere that I can find. He's absolutely not a big deal whatsoever in the leagues eyes.
..and even if he was, him missing a season will have zero impact on the NFL's bottom line. I've said it before but the NFL did not miss a beat when Peyton Manning or Tom Brady missed a season. Brett Favre retiring has not caused the league to fold. The supposed "black balling" of Tim Tebow because he's an outspoken Christian did not kill this league. Ray Lewis was a Super Bowl MVP after allegedly being involved in a double murder and ratings have actually gone up since.

Gordon will either win or lose his appeal on it's merits. Ray Rice, his popularity on twitter, how much time he plays with Johnny Football or anything else will have no influence on thise.

Volume of talk on the internet doesn't necessarily equate to the overall population being familiar with someone.

From Adrian Peterson's Q-score (39% of sports fans don't know who he is) and knowing that 63% of Americans classify themselves as sports fans gives:

38% of the US population are sports fans who know who Peterson is

25% of the population are sports fans who don't know who Adrian Peterson is.

37% of the population are not sports fans.

I don't know what percent of the non sports fan population recognize the name Adrian Peterson. If it were 0%, then 60% of the population wouldn't know who Adrian Peterson is. I'm sure it's more than 0%. Only about 3 out of of 5 actual sports fans know who Peterson is. If we went with 1 in 5 who don't follow sports recognize his name, which I think is probably generous, 55% of Americans wouldn't know who Adrian Peterson is.

I couldn't find Q-score results for Josh Gordon without paying someone to access their data. But I expect another Adrian Peterson injury would have him being the top trending twitter topic even though probably over half the nation doesn't know who he is.

Given Peterson's career length, elite play, video game covers, etc, compared to the much shorter span for Gordon, I could easily believe 80-90% of Americans don't know who Gordon is. Before digging up hard numbers for Peterson, I'd have guessed 10% would know who Gordon is.

Interesting stat found while getting the above. 15% of US sports fans don't recognize the name Tom Brady. :shock:

Or NASCAR. Though, hrm, I imagine they probably intersect with NFL fans quite a bit. But not all. It is a big segment of sports fans anyway.

Bill Polian on ESPN's 'NFL Insiders' regarding Josh Gordon's appeal/'problems':

'This is a serious personal problem for him. It does not belong in the Browns' locker room and he doesn't belong on the field.'

Bill Polian on ESPN's 'NFL Insiders' regarding Josh Gordon's appeal/'problems':

'This is a serious personal problem for him. It does not belong in the Browns' locker room and he doesn't belong on the field.'
Too bad that Jimmy Haslam and Ray Farmer don't see it this way. \

Hats off to Bill.

Well I gotta declare a keeper by tomorrow night and it's him, Pitta, or Blount. Even without the news I think my choice is easy. So Friday 8 am it will likely be announced that he is suspended for the year.

Conspiracy theory:

Blount and Bell got busted with weed and DUI INTENTIONALLY. They knew Goodell was close to granting Gordon a reduced sentence so they jumped in to make the notion a near impossibility. They will also claim second hand smoke was at play and that ALL the weed belonged to the female passenger. Further clouding the case will be the fact that Bell was only .02 over the limit. How can the league NOT come down hard on Gordon knowing it has two more clowns waiting in the wings? Mission Accomplished Steelers fans! Gordon is toast. All it cost you was two below average running backs. Incredible!

I realize that the Bell and Blount situation (hah Blount) has no effect on this Gordon situation/ruling but I do believe it speaks to a larger issue that will eventually need to be addressed and that is the high prevalence of weed smokers in the league. Perhaps the Gordon decision is a jumping off pt for negotiations down the rd... Or perhaps not

I realize that the Bell and Blount situation (hah Blount) has no effect on this Gordon situation/ruling but I do believe it speaks to a larger issue that will eventually need to be addressed and that is the high prevalence of weed smokers in the league. Perhaps the Gordon decision is a jumping off pt for negotiations down the rd... Or perhaps not
Most of the players can quit far enough in advance of the known testing time and avoid getting busted for possession.

I'm going to venture a guess and say we're less than 24 hours away from an announcement regarding Gordon's appeal.

No hard evidence, just a guess.

Everybody smokes dank these days... its a pretty normal thing... with amazing genetics like OG Kush available to the public.. it'd be hard to just say no :)

Tahoe

Fire

Triangle

Larry

SFV

My top 5 Dynasty Keepers

Everybody smokes dank these days... its a pretty normal thing... with amazing genetics like OG Kush available to the public.. it'd be hard to just say no :)

Tahoe

Fire

Triangle

Larry

SFV

My top 5 Dynasty Keepers
Are your keepers types of weed? I don't get it

(My ignorance is showing)

Those my friend are the names of the ELITE... you mention those to any NFL player... good chance they will become your best Bud :)

Just a little reminder of why we are all in here so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMlwJ3UK8-s
Good post.

My favorite is the end around against the Pats.

Dude just glides down the side, makes a smooth little shift and makes another 15 like butter.
They're honestly all my favorites...

Regardless of what happens with this potential 16 game suspension I really hope this kid can get his head screwed on straight ala Dez Bryant. He's so unbelievably entertaining, everything about his game is amazing. As a football fan I just want to put on the game and watch him play, to me he's in that realm of AP and Calvin types where they're just so good and beyond everyone else on a whole nother tier of physicality it's just entertaining to watch. Even when they're beating up your favorite team, you can't help but think "DAMNNNNN, he's really unbelievable".

So they're really gonna let the Browns dangle in the wind heading into their most important dress rehearsal for the regular season? We should get a decision tmrw afternoon. Right?! RIGHT????

So they're really gonna let the Browns dangle in the wind heading into their most important dress rehearsal for the regular season? We should get a decision tmrw afternoon. Right?! RIGHT????
No doubt. Cleveland has enough drama with Johnny Clipboard running with the circus. At least the league could tell them something. No reason to drag this out.

At this point, I'm not holding my breath for a decision. I wouldn't be shocked if they purposely wait until like the Saturday before Week 1 kickoff of the Steelers game to announce the decision. There's literally zero reasoning for this to take so long. As soon as that hearing was over the arbitrator should've known his decision. Even if he wanted to take 2-3 days just to 'think it over' some more. But 2-3 weeks? That's just silly, it's a purposeful delay for who knows what reason.

The ONLY reasoning I could see for them dragging out the decision this long is that they feel they need to suspend him for some portion of games but they obviously are forced into an all-or-nothing situation unless Gordon and his lawyers contact them regarding a settlement. Which could be of concern as it seems Gordon and his lawyers are content either taking all or nothing. Which would put the NFL in an awkward situation of "Do we ban this kid for the entire year and force him to reinstate and possibly ruin a very promising career on something as silly as a pot offense?" or "Do we let him walk, and give him one more chance to succeed in the NFL. Hopefully the new coaching staff takes him under their wing and nurtures him similar to what Dallas did for Dez?"

That's the only thing I could see that's making this take so long is that they'd probably prefer to just settle with him at 4/6/8 games, whatever it may be. But him and his lawyers aren't approaching them for a settlement. Trying to decide on an all or nothing case is a lot more difficult.

Just a little reminder of why we are all in here so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMlwJ3UK8-s
Good post.

My favorite is the end around against the Pats.

Dude just glides down the side, makes a smooth little shift and makes another 15 like butter.
They're honestly all my favorites...

Regardless of what happens with this potential 16 game suspension I really hope this kid can get his head screwed on straight ala Dez Bryant. He's so unbelievably entertaining, everything about his game is amazing. As a football fan I just want to put on the game and watch him play, to me he's in that realm of AP and Calvin types where they're just so good and beyond everyone else on a whole nother tier of physicality it's just entertaining to watch. Even when they're beating up your favorite team, you can't help but think "DAMNNNNN, he's really unbelievable".
It's amazing how many times he has to slow down to adjust on a ball when he has the defender by 3 - 4 steps. So many of those could have been TDS if the ball had been out in front of him even more.

At this point, I'm not holding my breath for a decision. I wouldn't be shocked if they purposely wait until like the Saturday before Week 1 kickoff of the Steelers game to announce the decision. There's literally zero reasoning for this to take so long. As soon as that hearing was over the arbitrator should've known his decision. Even if he wanted to take 2-3 days just to 'think it over' some more. But 2-3 weeks? That's just silly, it's a purposeful delay for who knows what reason.

The ONLY reasoning I could see for them dragging out the decision this long is that they feel they need to suspend him for some portion of games but they obviously are forced into an all-or-nothing situation unless Gordon and his lawyers contact them regarding a settlement. Which could be of concern as it seems Gordon and his lawyers are content either taking all or nothing. Which would put the NFL in an awkward situation of "Do we ban this kid for the entire year and force him to reinstate and possibly ruin a very promising career on something as silly as a pot offense?" or "Do we let him walk, and give him one more chance to succeed in the NFL. Hopefully the new coaching staff takes him under their wing and nurtures him similar to what Dallas did for Dez?"

That's the only thing I could see that's making this take so long is that they'd probably prefer to just settle with him at 4/6/8 games, whatever it may be. But him and his lawyers aren't approaching them for a settlement. Trying to decide on an all or nothing case is a lot more difficult.
LITERALLY ZERO!

There's literally zero reasoning for this to take so long. As soon as that hearing was over the arbitrator should've known his decision.
Huh?

There's likely an awful lot of evidence/testimony to review.
Yes, I have previously stated it, but, when Suh defended Landis in his appeal for doping, the arbitrator took,

4 months to reach a decision after 9 days of presentation by Suh.

The problem for the arbitrator is they open the league up to lawsuit if he gets it wrong and denies Gordon of his very lucrative livleyhood without proper cause.

Not sure if this has been discussed ad nauseam here or not, but this thing is almost certainly going to court if the NFL rules any sort of suspension. With the possibility of a suit being filed hours after the suspension is announced, it makes sense that the NFL take their time and do their due diligence before this whole thing hits the fan. It also explains why Gordon has been reluctant to have settlement talks with the league. Why take a reduced suspension if you think you can beat any sort of suspension in court? It also then forces the league into an all-or-nothing decision, which puts them in a uncomfortable position with the public perception. All in all, I'd bet Gordon suits up for week one while the case is being fought in court, and somewhere between 50-75% that he gets through the entire decision before it's decided.

Users who are viewing this thread