What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Watching NFL Network and Ian Rapoport just said that the suspension is for the 2014 season, specifically said it was NOT 365 days and he is eligible to return to the team earlier than 1 calendar year if he keeps his nose clean.

Watching NFL Network and Ian Rapoport just said that the suspension is for the 2014 season, specifically said it was NOT 365 days and he is eligible to return to the team earlier than 1 calendar year if he keeps his nose clean.
Yup, this was tweeted about 15min ago as well.

Just figured it'd get lost in the shuffle so didnt post it

So, they doubly screw the Browns by waiting an extra 3 weeks to announce the suspension? Now he's out until at week 4 the of pre-season at the very least? Wow. Glad I'm not a Browns fan...I'd be livid.
The NFL has no control over how long it takes for the arbitrator to decide. He could have just not appealed, that would have got things started earlier.

Of course, nobody is ever guilty.
Wouldn't surprise me if the NFL intentionally screwed Gordon by waiting this long due to his attorney continually violating the rules and releasing info to help his client's PR.

Without camp and preseason next year, Gordon is pretty much toast for 2 years now. That's assuming he even complies with all the requirements of the testing now and can get re-instated in a year.
Big fat IF, but if he stays clean and is reinstated next season, I'm pretty sure he won't be toast, even if he misses camp and preseason.

Is according to Adam Schefter:

@AdamSchefter: Browns WR Josh Gordon can ask for reinstatement after 2014 season. Determination made then about training camp 2015.

The NFL may have done him a big favor by allowing the appeal to be strung out so long so that Gordon could take part in camp/preseason.

im changing my tune, no way hes sitting out all 16 after taking this long. The NFL is scared
welcome to the dark side

Why would I disappear? Said a million times he could get 16 games
You've also said you're going to laugh at everyone when he ends up playing all 16.And you've said 4-8 games. Lolol. Talk about a troll coveting all the bases.
even my most steadfast enemy has "admitted", in my defense, a few pages back that Ive always been steadfast in my 4-6 game prediction.

Ive said over and over this was my prediction. Ive said 8 was a possibility, as was zero, as was 16. So what? Everything is a possibility....

But my prediction is and will remain 4-6 games
:tumbleweed:

Is according to Adam Schefter:

@AdamSchefter: Browns WR Josh Gordon can ask for reinstatement after 2014 season. Determination made then about training camp 2015.
I'm sure Goodell will be totally understanding and reinstate him early. I mean he only has a DUI case pending he hasn't been punished for.

Soo... What do you guys think he gets busted for over the holiday weekend? DUI? Drugs? Firearms Charge? Assault?

Yup, this was tweeted about 15min ago as well.

Just figured it'd get lost in the shuffle so didnt post it
That's very good news, if it were one year that would've sucked pretty hardcore. The issue now is if he can keep his nose clean though... although I guess it wasn't his nose that was the issue and more so his lungs.

the NFL really stuck it to the Browns.

just shameful.

:kicksrock:
No, Gordon did.
Leaving it this late is all on the NFL

the screwing up is on Gordon
Gordon is the one who drew it out with an appeal as well. The days between the appeal and now was on the arbitrator, not the NFL.

We also have no idea if this timeline is regular or not. It is rarely leaked that someone fails a drug test before the process has played out.

So... Anyone willing to take a stab at ranking Gordon in a ppr Dynasty startup? What round? I already drafted so not looking for advice, just curious what the audience here would do.

I tried the read tea leaves and thought he might get less. I was wrong. Wow, no value at all this year it seems.

Regarding his statement, I find it really odd that Gordon is the one that gets to be disappointed that someone else "didn't exercise better discretion and judgment." He had a LONG time to work on that, and that is a very poor sentiment for him to have. Sure, makes you think there's more to the case, but at the end of the day, he's the one that needs to show better discretion and judgment, and definitely not judge others for theirs.

Statement:

AlbertBreer

@AlbertBreer

Browns WR Josh Gordon statement via the NFLPA: “I’d like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans. I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn’t exercise better discretion and judgment in my case. I would like to sincerely thank the people who have been incredibly supportive of me during this challenging time, including my family, my agent, my union, my legal team, and the Cleveland Browns staff.”
How do people in PR departments even have jobs? What do they do? How could anyone greenlight this? This is almost as bad as Ray Rice opting to go with a "get back up after you get knocked down" metaphor in his "apology" press conference.

Josh Gordon's fate for 2014 has finally been decided.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Wednesday that the NFL has suspended theCleveland Browns wide receiver for one season on Wednesday for violating the league's substance abuse policy, according to a source. NFL Media's Albert Breer reports that there is no avenue for reinstatement, according to two sources.

"I'd like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans," Gordon said in a statement. "I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case."

lol

he clearly gets it now, the NFL is the party who needs to exercise better discertion and judgement

Browns WR Josh Gordon statement via the NFLPA: “I’d like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans. I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn’t exercise better discretion and judgment in my case. I would like to sincerely thank the people who have been incredibly supportive of me during this challenging time, including my family, my agent, my union, my legal team, and the Cleveland Browns staff.”
This is hilarious. Josh Gordon is questioning the discretion and judgement of someone else. :potkettle:

ETA: Doh! Beaten by a few seconds!

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll play this season. 8 month wait + 16 games is more than unreasonable enough for a judge to grant an injunction. NFL screwed themselves by waiting 8 months + giving him the full 16. He'll play, guaranteed.

his whole life the soulfly's of the world have been telling him he is never wrong because he can catch a football, the dude believes it. He's not wrong the league is, the law is, everyone else is!!!

his whole life the soulfly's of the world have been telling him he is never wrong because he can catch a football, the dude believes it. He's not wrong the league is, the law is, everyone else is!!!
Considering marijuana is a misdemeanor and not a felony in almost any state anymore? And is actually legal in a couple states with more to come? Yeah... he isn't wrong, the league is wrong.

Soo... What do you guys think he gets busted for over the holiday weekend? DUI? Drugs? Firearms Charge? Assault?
Well if it's murder, rape or wife/gf beating he should be ok....just please stay away from drinking and smoking, Josh
that's like asking a fish to stay away from water

don't you get it man??? millions of dollars and a dream job don't matter, weed, THAT is what matters

it is ridiculous to expect a grown man not to smoke weed, ridiculous!!!!!

Josh Gordon's fate for 2014 has finally been decided.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Wednesday that the NFL has suspended theCleveland Browns wide receiver for one season on Wednesday for violating the league's substance abuse policy, according to a source. NFL Media's Albert Breer reports that there is no avenue for reinstatement, according to two sources.

"I'd like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans," Gordon said in a statement. "I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case."

lol

he clearly gets it now, the NFL is the party who needs to exercise better discertion and judgement
:lmao: .........Unfortunately with that attitude, we will not see him in an NFL uniform ever again.

He'll play this season. 8 month wait + 16 games is more than unreasonable enough for a judge to grant an injunction. NFL screwed themselves by waiting 8 months + giving him the full 16. He'll play, guaranteed.
Might want to rethink the guarantee part. Those haven't worked out so well in this thread.

So... Anyone willing to take a stab at ranking Gordon in a ppr Dynasty startup? What round? I already drafted so not looking for advice, just curious what the audience here would do.
I had him WR46 pre-announcement, but the announcement doesn't change much for me. I was pretty much assuming he was gone for the year already, and my big concern has always been not whether he plays this year, but whether he can stay clean for a year at a time. He hasn't gone a whole calendar year without failing a drug test since high school, at the very least.

I might bump him down to 48th or so, but I feel comfortable he'll still remain in the 46-50 range for me.

I hate the media sometimes. Is it a 1 year suspension, or 1 year ban? There's a difference.

The difference being that if it's a 1 year suspension, he is automatically re-instated after the suspension is over.

But I though the drug policy made it a 1 year ban. Then the player has to apply for re-instatement and it's not automatic.

Oh..well if you're guaranteeing it, Im gonna go ahead and draft him tonight.

Hopefully his attorneys are reading this board so that they can use this sound legal argument in any potential litigation.

Users who are viewing this thread