What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (15 Viewers)

Guys think we should discuss real possibilities for landing spots (post rehab) ?

I think it would need to be Teams that have had success following a Star players rehab..  It might be reasonable to include teams success, involving players returning from injury.  Basically the exact opposite of the Browns at this point in time.  It is probably best to consider eliminating teams who may not put player safety above everything..  ie..  smelling salt type attitude for rushing concussed players.

Which team(s) own a blueprint?  I know my answers will be bias, so its probably not even worth discussion.  However, I do like what some teams appear to have in the works, above other teams in considerable amounts.  Im not sure whats holding the 9er's back, but they been a Dynasty before too.  My Skins play with heart, winning games that they probably just shouldnt Win!  Ravens?  Wow  Its like they knew what needing fixing, and wont allow exceptions.

I kinda want to remind some folks that diseases like alcohol, and other addictions take on many forms.  It can be most anyone, doing most anything..  But it can just be a minor setback, when that person is ready to change..  afaik, Josh is wanting changes!  Now it may not happen overnight, like some magic trick.. But, I dont think its all that wise too underestimate what some men are capable of achieving.  (ie. highly functioning alcoholic types?)  Seriously though, hes only 25!  People like Robert Downey Jr. fall further, and rise higher!  These things happen when folks want to make changes in their lives..

Now of course, if ya have a team in mind that really fits the bill, and includes a franchise QB, squared away run game, with a full tilt Defense?  Feel free to list only that team!

afaik, Josh is wanting changes
More likely we went to rehab because he got caught... IMO rehab is just spin control. I wouldn't be optimistic about real change with Josh Gordon.

From a dynasty perspective?  Depends on roster size.  Like any other player, drop him if you think there is a better option on the waiver.

Is any team really going to take a chance on him after he's blown so many second chances?  Would be pretty embarrassing for another coach to bring him in, even for a small incentive driven contract, and then have him get busted again. Embarrassing. I think I'm cutting him. 

Is any team really going to take a chance on him after he's blown so many second chances?  Would be pretty embarrassing for another coach to bring him in, even for a small incentive driven contract, and then have him get busted again. Embarrassing. I think I'm cutting him. 
Same decision boat. Right now my only justification is there is nobody on the waiver with anywhere near the same upside potential on the field. But at some point you have to call a turd a turd.

Not really close to the same situation but during the 2015 off season, pretty much everyone thought Michael Crabtree was an emotional prima donna who couldn't stay healthy, had lost a step and hadn't been productive for two seasons.

Point being there will always be a GM/coach willing to take a shot on a reclamation project that has demonstrated legitimate ability at some point.

Any chance he plays again? 

1. He's suspended "indefinitely".

2. Trust between players & coaches is huge in the NFL. It's not just that Gordon had a drug problem and relapsed a couple of times, but the pattern of deceit is difficult for coaches to ignore. 

3. There's no 3, but it doesn't quite feel like a list unless there's at least 3 items. 

I think we've seen the last of Gordon in the NFL. 

Any chance he plays again? 

1. He's suspended "indefinitely".

2. Trust between players & coaches is huge in the NFL. It's not just that Gordon had a drug problem and relapsed a couple of times, but the pattern of deceit is difficult for coaches to ignore. 

3. There's no 3, but it doesn't quite feel like a list unless there's at least 3 items. 

I think we've seen the last of Gordon in the NFL. 
The more I think about it, the more I can't see any coach or personnel guy putting his reputation on the line to take a chance on this guy.  It's gotten ridiculous.  

The more I think about it, the more I can't see any coach or personnel guy putting his reputation on the line to take a chance on this guy.  It's gotten ridiculous.  
Why not? Cheap contract with minimal guaranteed + major talent = another chance. The league is so watered down with parity that someone would be happy to take the chance.

Why not? Cheap contract with minimal guaranteed + major talent = another chance. The league is so watered down with parity that someone would be happy to take the chance.
Because no matter what, it's ugly and embarrassing from a PR perspective, and it's a distraction.  Sure you take a chance on some guys.  But this many chances?  I've been as big a fan and believer as any; I was firmly in the camp of folks who thought he was back on the right track and couldn't possibly blow this last chance. He did.  I think we can turn off the lights here.

Because no matter what, it's ugly and embarrassing from a PR perspective, and it's a distraction.  Sure you take a chance on some guys.  But this many chances?  I've been as big a fan and believer as any; I was firmly in the camp of folks who thought he was back on the right track and couldn't possibly blow this last chance. He did.  I think we can turn off the lights here.
I think you are discounting how desperate most of the league is. If he comes out of rehab a "changed man" someone will give him another chance. Especially if the story remains that he entered rehab on his own without additional incidence. 

I dont mean to drag anybody through the mud, but guys like Vick have come back against insurmountable odds..  However, It might take an experienced Coach like Reid who lives in the real World..  Theres no guarantees!  Its also worth noting that personally, I dont believe Gordon would enjoy going to another Browns type organization..  But yeah to answer your question, I believe the NFL, along with the everyday workforce, is always providing additional opportunity's.  As a matter of fact, Im not to sure ya realize Josh is dealing with an ilness.   Once he leaves rehab, smart folks will only care what hes doing for them lately.  

Otis, I must say I appreciate your honesty!  Obviously its not akin to arguing if the sky is blue.  If you dont have faith in Josh, and dont care to listen to old folks?  Cut him, and dont look back.  Its kinda obvious to me, that Im posting my words, believing that some faithfuls are losing hope.. 

Its a challenging time for the NFL, and other sporting environments.  The legality of some drugs, along with the associated stigma is ever changing..  In a somewhat short period of time, Pro's will begin seeing young men entering the NFL who possess an entirely different perspective on recreational activities.  (The interesting challenge will occur at the Collegiate level)  Im not aware of actual legal age, but I do believe old enough to die for God an Country, entitles legal Adult status..  (imho) However a man is'nt grown until age 24..  Basically I believe alot, if not all NFL teams will be "taking chances" in the not to distant future.  Now depending upon how drastic changes occur?  Teams like the Browns may be left in the dust.. "We're moving On"  What a joke..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just dropped him for Justin Hunter. Oodles of talent and at least he's on the field with opportunity. 
Asked if Justin Hunter could be in for a bigger role, Bills coach Rex Ryan said he has been dropping balls in practice.

In other words, no. With Sammy Watkins sidelined, the Bills have the worst receiver corps in the league, but Hunter has drawn only one target since arriving. It went for a touchdown, but it's clear the Bills don't envision him as an important piece. For what it's worth, OC Anthony Lynn contradicted his head coach, saying he'd like to get Hunter more involved.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8415/justin-hunter

Weaknesses

Has a limited number of snaps under his belt, needs to prove his hands are consistent when tested in a full season as a starter. Missed most of his second season with a torn left ACL. Must continue to get stronger throughout his frame to win battles at the line of scrimmage and break away from NFL tacklers. Blocking on run plays is inconsistent at best, shows little physicality in that realm.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/justin-hunter?id=2540151

Sounds like square peg in the round hole, if the dude aint run-blocking for Rex..  Technically, Hunter did have the ACL, so we should extend his acclimation to the NFL time.  Should he be mentioned in a Josh Gordon thread?  Most likely, probably not No

I heard this too but I thought the report indicated that there was no dirty test (or missed test) with the NFL and he went in voluntarily.
Clean for drugs, but he admitted he "slipped up" with alcohol. 

And he is on Goodell's "double secret probation", so...

last I read he's suspended indefinitely, whatever that means. 

Clean for drugs, but he admitted he "slipped up" with alcohol. 

And he is on Goodell's "double secret probation", so...

last I read he's suspended indefinitely, whatever that means. 
That's right, he did make that admission. I have to imagine though that without an actual dirty test there might be some gray area for his representatives to exploit if he tries to get back into the league.

Then again with Goodell's dictatorial authority it's probably a moot point.

"What if I told you, that this was all just a conspiracy for Josh Gordon to get released and end up with the Patriots. Tune in to ESPNs 30 for 30. The Rise and Fall and Fall and Fall and Fall and Rise of Josh Gordon."

King of the Jungle said:
I heard rumors but missed if it was official. I am not Soulflying this guy but I think he gets one more shot if he comes out looking "clean and changed." 
You honestly think that's going to happen?  

Dismattle said:
Asked if Justin Hunter could be in for a bigger role, Bills coach Rex Ryan said he has been dropping balls in practice.

In other words, no. With Sammy Watkins sidelined, the Bills have the worst receiver corps in the league, but Hunter has drawn only one target since arriving. It went for a touchdown, but it's clear the Bills don't envision him as an important piece. For what it's worth, OC Anthony Lynn contradicted his head coach, saying he'd like to get Hunter more involved.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8415/justin-hunter

Weaknesses

Has a limited number of snaps under his belt, needs to prove his hands are consistent when tested in a full season as a starter. Missed most of his second season with a torn left ACL. Must continue to get stronger throughout his frame to win battles at the line of scrimmage and break away from NFL tacklers. Blocking on run plays is inconsistent at best, shows little physicality in that realm.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/justin-hunter?id=2540151

Sounds like square peg in the round hole, if the dude aint run-blocking for Rex..  Technically, Hunter did have the ACL, so we should extend his acclimation to the NFL time.  Should he be mentioned in a Josh Gordon thread?  Most likely, probably not No
He had one more TD today than Gordon did :shrug:  

Wtf!? I dropped the guy thinking that was that after drafting him in the 5th this year. So I wake up this morning to this news and find out some jerk in my league who ridiculed me for drafting him already picked him up off the waiver wire.

Wtf!? I dropped the guy thinking that was that after drafting him in the 5th this year. So I wake up this morning to this news and find out some jerk in my league who ridiculed me for drafting him already picked him up off the waiver wire.
He's suspended indefinitely and the Browns want no part of him.

first he's got to get back in Goodell's good graces (assuming he has any) and then he has to find a team. Assuming either of those happen, (which I see as extremely unlikely) he'll then have to get in shape and learn a new playbook. 

How long do you think that's all gonna take?  It's week 8. He won't play this year. 

Mock your friend for wasting a roster spot on him. 

If this were week 2 I could see an add/hold here.

But with his admission of violating substance policy i cant see Goodell giving him a lesser suspension than his last one was.

unless there's some back room dealing where Roger does the Browns a favor so they can trade him by Tuesday, which I find highly unlikely, then the Browns are stuck with him until he is trade-able, or will have to grant his release. 

I strongly suspect Goodell will suspend him into next year.

I understood Gordon supposedly entered rehab for treatment for alcohol abuse, as opposed to any banned substances (seems unlikely).  Is this a violation of the terms of his prior reinstatement, if true? 

I applaud Gordon for seeking help, even if the timing was suspicious. It seems there should be some consideration given for a player who voluntarily enters an intensive program to try to get his life back on track. 

It would not surprise me either way on the reinstatement issue. 

So I guess it's poetic that the guy he dropped is Jordan Howard. Now he has to waste his top waiver slot to get Howard back and he doesn't even play this week.

Users who are viewing this thread