What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Tom Pelissero‏ @TomPelissero

Source: The NFL has denied #Browns WR Josh Gordon's reinstatement petition. He can reapply this fall.

Tom Pelissero‏ @TomPelissero

Source: The NFL has denied #Browns WR Josh Gordon's reinstatement petition. He can reapply this fall.
Just read this, crushing. I wonder when in the fall, he could sure us a full training camp, seems kind of sorry to keep him out till fall and deny him that.

Oof.  I'm going to continue to carry him through the summer when my league rosters are expanded but if things aren't looking positive when we have to cut down to start the season he is gone.

Oof.  I'm going to continue to carry him through the summer when my league rosters are expanded but if things aren't looking positive when we have to cut down to start the season he is gone.

Any league I am in does not require cuts till week before season so no need for me to make a judgment today. If I keep or not at that time  depends on the why he was denied? If he got rejected due to substance abuse, alcohol included, I'll be ready to move on and if I had to make a cut today would release him. If he got denied because the league was convinced he did not have a good plan in place to stay clean I'll hold on into the fall.

In short I'm holding unless he failed another test in which case I'm out.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, why not let him play?  All he did was smoke. He didn't hurt anyone. Never punched a lady in the face, or threw his pregnant girlfriend down the stairs, or beat a child, or got arrested.  Why not give one of the more talented players in the league another chance?  They seem to let Zeke get away with a lot.

At this point, why not let him play?  All he did was smoke. He didn't hurt anyone. Never punched a lady in the face, or threw his pregnant girlfriend down the stairs, or beat a child, or got arrested.  Why not give one of the more talented players in the league another chance?  They seem to let Zeke get away with a lot.
The only feeble takeaway from the league's ruling is that it's still a schedule 1 drug.

What new news could there be that's positive?

The NFL said he can reapply in the fall. We have loads of precedent of the league considering reinstatement at their own speed. They league office definitely takes their time, and going by previous suspensions, November would be a miracle best case scenario.

He was just fired by his agent. 

If you own him, see if you can move him for a draft pick. Any draft pick. 

I wish there was more information available to the public.  On the surface, this don't make a ton of sense.  I don't understand why the NFL runs guys like Blackmon and Gordon out but keeps others around.  Addiction is a tough beast to overcome. Forcing them outside of "structure" doesn't help them on a personal level.

The NFL said he can reapply in the fall. We have loads of precedent of the league considering reinstatement at their own speed. They league office definitely takes their time, and going by previous suspensions, November would be a miracle best case scenario.

He was just fired by his agent. 

If you own him, see if you can move him for a draft pick. Any draft pick
Well, good luck...

I am in deep dynasty 30 roster league with 6 rounds and I wouldn't give a 6th for him after this news.

It's not the NFL's job to babysit players or make them a model citizen.  If you owned a business, would you allow a repeat druggie/drunk/thief to work for you?
The NFL is a whole different beast as well.  They let other things slide that any other job would fire someone for.  But for drinking... while not on the job... thats just dumb.  They let players commit assault on each other and just slap them on the wrist.  Any other profession and that person is done.

It's not the NFL's job to babysit players or make them a model citizen.  If you owned a business, would you allow a repeat druggie/drunk/thief to work for you?
That is kind of weak throwing the thief part in that comment. That has nothing to do with Josh Gordon or the other two items on that list.

But yes, as someone who does hire people I would have no issue hiring someone who drinks or does smokes marijuana in their free time.

That he has not relapsed or failed a test and that his rejection is due to, as MKC recently wrote, "the league wants to see a long period of sobriety".

If he failed to remain sober vs the league needing to see him sober longer than he possibly has already been really makes a big difference, to me anyway.

That is kind of weak throwing the thief part in that comment. That has nothing to do with Josh Gordon or the other two items on that list.

But yes, as someone who does hire people I would have no issue hiring someone who drinks or does smokes marijuana in their free time.
On the flip side, would you give up drinking and pot for a $20M contract? 

:deadhorse:

:violin:

That he has not relapsed or failed a test and that his rejection is due to, as MKC recently wrote, "the league wants to see a long period of sobriety".

If he failed to remain sober vs the league needing to see him sober longer than he possibly has already been really makes a big difference, to me anyway.
I feel for the guy as I've had struggles with alcohol myself.  The league comes off very hypocritical here as they love their beer sponsors, advertisements and sales.  Don't think an alcoholic doesn't notice the amount of times a beverage is forced in their face.  Screw the NFL.

I feel for the guy as I've had struggles with alcohol myself.  The league comes off very hypocritical here as they love their beer sponsors, advertisements and sales.  Don't think an alcoholic doesn't notice the amount of times a beverage is forced in their face.  Screw the NFL.

If you've had struggles with alcohol yourself, you should know that blaming someone or something  else is not the way to resolve your problem.

Did he do that?  I'm saying if his struggles don't effect his work, why should his work penalize him?

Because the employer requires it as a condition for the ability to earn millions of dollars to play a game.  That is certainly within the employer's power under the agreement with players as outlined in the CBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Josina Anderson reports suspended WR Josh Gordon's agent "terminated their relationship" roughly two weeks ago.
It could be a sign that Gordon isn't putting forth his best efforts to get back into the NFL despite applying for reinstatement in March. On Thursday, it was revealed the league has denied his petition to return to the league. This could be the end of the line for the 26-year-old. It may finally be safe to cut Gordon in Dynasty leagues. He's never going to be what he was.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 
May 11 - 12:41 PM

His agent parted ways. There's no way he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, I'm sure we'll hear about another failed test or something soon.

Because to date Gordon refuses to comply with the conditions for employment while to date Mixon has.  And in anticipation of where this might go, Mixon did not commit his assault while employed as a NFL player.  
Thats one way to reason a man punching a woman, while the others smokes what is a legal substance in some states. 

Thats one way to reason a man punching a woman, while the others smokes what is a legal substance in some states. 
You won't find too many defenders of the NFL policy, but as it relates to Josh Gordon fantasy futures, it really doesn't have anything to do with the price of tea in China.

His agent parted ways. There's no way he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, I'm sure we'll hear about another failed test or something soon.
I'm sorry but that is 100% speculation on your part, you have no idea of the nature of his relationship with his agent and you have no idea if he failed another test or not.  In fact if we want to just speculate I'm pretty sure he did NOT fail another test because if he had I would say no way would they tell him he could reapply in the fall.

He might be drinking more than allowed, if he is allowed at all. He might not have a proper plan in place for support, which as you recall was a condition of Martavis reinstatement. He's not even at year on this suspension until week 4 passes next season. It's quite possible its as simple as MKC wrote the last I checked which was after allowing him back a few times already they want to see him clean longer than 7 months or so  it's been since his last suspension. Maybe they want to see a full clean year and that's not until around October.

You won't find too many defenders of the NFL policy, but as it relates to Josh Gordon fantasy futures, it really doesn't have anything to do with the price of tea in China.
Not everything is in regards to fantasy value, just pure NFL talk. But he hasnt had fantasy value in a long time. 

Citing Browns sources, NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports the team would welcome suspended WR Josh Gordon back if he "somehow gets his life together."

Gordon's latest bid for reinstatement was just denied, but he can apply again in the fall. Speaking last fall after Gordon checked himself into a rehabilitation facility, coach Hue Jackson said "we're moving on." That's apparently not the case if the 26-year-old Gordon can get himself back in the league's good graces. It's little more than a philosophical exercise right now, as Gordon is verging on Justin Blackmon territory.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

If Mixon is allowed into the league, Gordon should be.
I tend to think the players should be allowed to play unless the law says otherwise, or they are in an ongoing trial or something.  

Seriously, its ####### football, a ####### sport of entertainment.  All this high and mighty #### a lot of you throw out there is hilarious.  You know damn well half the guys you root for do all sorts of terrible stuff that would make you hate them if you knew about it.  

I tend to think the players should be allowed to play unless the law says otherwise, or they are in an ongoing trial or something.  

Seriously, its ####### football, a ####### sport of entertainment.  All this high and mighty #### a lot of you throw out there is hilarious.  You know damn well half the guys you root for do all sorts of terrible stuff that would make you hate them if you knew about it.  
Should just be left up to individual teams. Always felt that way, still do. If they just left it up to teams they'd get to shovel this whole mess to them and player misconduct would actually be less of a big deal than it is now.

are you an idiot or are you just playing dumb?
Why is it a man who physically hurt a women on tape can play in the league but a person who smokes weed cant? The point is the NFL cares more about weed than violence against women, other than their actions, I have no proof of such things. I dont care how many times he smoked weed, which is the problem in his situation.. it is never going to be equivalent to a man punching a woman ON TAPE! 

The point is if weed can keep a man out of the league, a physical assault of a woman should. If you are missing that crystal clear point, the dumb one is not myself. 

Mavis said:
Why is it a man who physically hurt a women on tape can play in the league but a person who smokes weed cant? The point is the NFL cares more about weed than violence against women, other than their actions, I have no proof of such things. I dont care how many times he smoked weed, which is the problem in his situation.. it is never going to be equivalent to a man punching a woman ON TAPE! 

The point is if weed can keep a man out of the league, a physical assault of a woman should. If you are missing that crystal clear point, the dumb one is not myself. 
One was an employee breaking the rules of employment multiple times, one was not an employee and hasnt broken a rule since being employed.  If you are missing that crystal clear point, the dumb one is you.

We all get punching a woman is worse than smoking weed.  Why cant you understand the difference between breaking rules while employed versus being punished for something done years before employment?

One was an employee breaking the rules of employment multiple times, one was not an employee and hasnt broken a rule since being employed.  If you are missing that crystal clear point, the dumb one is you.

We all get punching a woman is worse than smoking weed.  Why cant you understand the difference between breaking rules while employed versus being punished for something done years before employment?
If I commit a crime before my employment does my crime go away, wondering? Does it mean I do not have a woman abuser in my league regardless if it was before or during? No, he is a woman beater and he is in the NFL and a pot head is not. Justify it how you want, I clearly know he wasnt in the NFL, but you clearly are OK with a woman beater caught on tape in the NFL. Is what he did any worse than Ray Rice? Ray Rice was banished but Mixon welcomed because he wasnt in the NFL when he did it? 

I understand the difference, do you understand hitting a woman is hitting a woman? Also, why is Peppers now in the program if he had a diluted test before he was employed by the NFL?  Maybe the league doesnt understand the difference between before he is drafted or after.

If a man got charged for a crime of being a woman beater, would you be OK with him dating your daughter, since he beat women prior to him meeting your daughter and not during? 

Mavis said:
The point is the NFL cares more about weed than violence against women, other than their actions

That's not the point at all.  I'm not sure why you not only refuse to comprehend what is a very simple reason, and then on top of it choose to insult others who do understand it.

Let me ask you, should your current employer be able to sanction you for actions that you took years before you were employed there?  Because that is the position that you are championing.  

No one here that I have read has put forth the position that doing drugs is worse than beating women, which is the strawman you have set up - no one.  So you are arguing a point that everyone seems to agree with, to what end I have no idea.

In arguing your strawman, you are just so willingly dismissing that doing drugs is still a Federal offense, and much more to the point and the discussion that you are woefully missing as you tilt at your windmills, that players in the NFL substance abuse program are subject to these penalties as laid out and agreed to by the NFLPA in the CBA for failure to comply - which Gordon has repeatedly done.  And now we find out that 2 weeks ago Gordon's agent quit him, which is suspiciously tied timewise to this latest revelation, while at the same time Washington has been allowed to move forward with his career and play.

I guess I'd advise that it's probably not a good idea to ignore not only the merely obvious but also the incredibly obvious while at the same time calling others dumb, but hey - do as you see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread