Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

Browns waived WR Josh Gordon.

This comes after Gordon was ruled out of Sunday's game despite practicing all week. According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Browns cut Gordon over "trust issues" after he re-injured his hamstring away from the team and was late to the Browns' facility Saturday. Gordon will be subject to waivers next week, but his league interest may be limited given his off-field baggage. Cleveland will move forward with Antonio Callaway and Rashard Higgins in three-wide sets behind Jarvis Landry. It's a bitter end after the Browns supported Gordon through multiple suspensions. Fantasy owners should hold on to Gordon until his situation shakes itself out.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

high or has gone bat #### crazy... either way it's bad for his health

ETA: you dont think Cleveland did everything they could to mentor him?

I don't know, I just don't. Very sad right now, I thought he had turned a corner.

• Like 1

Sad for the person. Addiction is a real struggle for many, and my hope is that this is injury related (comparatively easy to battle back from compared to...) as opposed to drug related. He won't read this, but I'm still wishing Josh to get get well. Football is so insignificant in the greater scheme of things, I still hope he finds success as a person.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jed said:

Reminds me of Blackmon. Really really sad. 

Not me. Gordon has been fighting his mental illness with maximum effort for years. But he just can't seem to beat it, particularly under the pressure of the NFL spotlight.

Blackmon pretty much said #### it from the jump.

Edited by Chaka
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Keep this respectful. If you want to make jokes, take your hot take to twitter. 

Can we laugh it from a fantasy perspective?  We do with all the other players.

Sorry, not sorry but time to be real. For everyone lamenting the tragedy of Josh Gordon's fall from grace, there are millions of guys in similar situations. Except they're facing homelessness now or worse. Do something if you can to help them.

https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1041118632934297600

• Like 5

Just now, BigSteelThrill said:

Can we laugh it from a fantasy perspective?  We do with all the other players.

Please don't. Not anymore than you would a guy blowing out his ACL

• Like 2

Feels like a really sad situation---the unexplained absence in training camp certainly could be consistent with mental/emotional health issues and now this.   I hope the guy has his life in order going fowrard, football or not.  At least he should have the resources to get help---of whatever kind---he might need.

Just now, Joe Bryant said:

I meant the fantasy side, like with the owners and hypers and stats prospects of Christine Michail and Jermichael Finley. 

There is less than no chance that no one else signs him.  His talent is going to have him somewhere else really quickly.  

Sounds like teams are already calling the Browns inquiring about a trade.

• Like 2

heartbreaking for sure.  Thought he had finally turned a corner.  If it wasn't a failed drug test and there's a change he could pass a drug test, someone may sign him. I just hope that he wasn't just having a bad day, is still clean, and doesn't relapse now over this bull####.  I pray for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

I’m sorry, man.  This is your site, but we should be allowed to point out what an idiot this guy is.  If you believe it’s somehow a disease, great, but please do not censor those that know that some people are just stupid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BigSteelThrill said:

I meant the fantasy side, like with the owners and hypers and stats prospects of Christine Michail and Jermichael Finley. 

Well, there's really only one way to find out--make that joke, and see if you get two weeks off!

1 minute ago, Steelers4Life said:

There is less than no chance that no one else signs him.  His talent is going to have him somewhere else really quickly.  

Sounds like teams are already calling the Browns inquiring about a trade.

:link:

Just now, spider321 said:

I’m sorry, man.  This is your site, but we should be allowed to point out what an idiot this guy is.  If you believe it’s somehow a disease, great, but please do not censor those that know that some people are just stupid.

Aaaaaand now you've laid your finger on his point...

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 6m6 minutes ago

More

Josh Gordon hurt his hamstring at a promotional shoot, not at practice, per source.

Just now, pinequick said:

Aaaaaand now you've laid your finger on his point...

Just not a fan of 1984 style censorship.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mvereb said:

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 6m6 minutes ago

More

Josh Gordon hurt his hamstring at a promotional shoot, not at practice, per source.

Okay, if they cut him for stuff NOT relating to drugs... WTF?????

• Like 2

Only the Browns would be dumb enough to Tweet that he’s getting released Monday but turn around and trade him instead. 

• Like 8

Just now, Capella said:

Increases his value imo. Watch him end up with the stupid Pats. 

If he is still clean, someone will sign him.  This saga is not over

• Like 2

Michael Lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL 19m19 minutes ago

More

If the Browns waive Gordon without an injury designation then they believe he is healthy to play. Which would be strange since they ruled him out Interesting to see how this plays out. Either way Gordon gets paid for this week.

I mean, Browns gonna Brown, right? If anything, Gordon should be even MORE focused now.

Just now, nyy45 said:

If he is still clean, someone will sign him.  This saga is not over

And guys, let's get a sense of the importance of the bigger picture here--if the quoted post above turns out to be true, THIS THREAD LIVES ON INDEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, pinequick said:

Wow, do I know how to jinx a guy or what??

I dunno. You just sounded like someone naive about drug addicts.

Just now, shadyridr said:

I dunno. You just sounded like someone naive about drug addicts.

Yeah I know, when a story comes out about a guy having a gimpy hamstring flare up, I immediately think "drug relapse."  Who doesn't?

• Like 2

Assuming Gordon's issue is ONLY a hamstring tweak, this is a boost for his fantasy value. Expect him to be more motivated, he'll likely have a better QB (Dallas? New England? Green Bay? Carolina?), and most importantly, a better support system. Let's hope he doesn't go to Washington state for obvious reasons....

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago

More

Multiple league sources believe the Browns will trade WR Josh Gordon before they release him by the Monday date they announced they would let him go.

Gotta wonder what the asking price is. 5th rounder? 6th rounder? 7th?

13 minutes ago, spider321 said:

You clearly don't know what you think you know.

2 minutes ago, pinequick said:

Yeah I know, when a story comes out about a guy having a gimpy hamstring flare up, I immediately think "drug relapse."  Who doesn't?

Regarding Gordon? You should be. Especially when he practiced all week. Drug addicts lie.

1 minute ago, mvereb said:

Assuming Gordon's issue is ONLY a hamstring tweak, this is a boost for his fantasy value. Expect him to be more motivated, he'll likely have a better QB (Dallas? New England? Green Bay? Carolina?), and most importantly, a better support system. Let's hope he doesn't go to Washington state for obvious reasons....

Have seen this sentiment a couple of times in this thread.  Not picking on this specific post in particular, but is there some notion that the Browns did NOT do a good job with this, or are we all just talking out of our asses?

1 minute ago, mvereb said:

A "better" support system?  While the Browns are a dumpster fire--the one thing that they have done over the years is sticking with Josh Gordon. We can blame the Browns for a lot of things--let's not blame them for Josh Gordon being an idiot and a junkie.  

• Like 1

So it makes sense a team would want to trade for him because they’d get him on his cheap rookie contract instead of having to outbid other teams since he’ll be a free agent and not subject to waivers.

• Like 1

Hey Yahoo just updated him from Out to Questionable. So you're saying there's a chance!

ETA: nevermind, they just changed it back. :kicksrock:

Edited by Insein

Just now, jvdesigns2002 said:

A "better" support system?  While the Browns are a dumpster fire--the one thing that they have done over the years is sticking with Josh Gordon. We can blame the Browns for a lot of things--let's not blame them for Josh Gordon being an idiot and a junkie.  

My friend, with all due respect, you are "mind reading" by calling him a junkie. Maybe he moved beyond his demons, maybe he hasn't. However, the Schefter tweets indicate team still believe in the player and wouldn't trade for a 'junkie'. 

I don't know what they had in place. But I recall reading that when Dez came to Dallas he had a full time "babysitter" in a sense who stayed by his side 24/7 until he showed the maturity to handle what being in the NFL entailed.