What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

He said he ran the wrong route on the interception in game 1.  I have never seen a report (from the team) of anything like that though. His problem was availability.    
The OC in CLE hinted at it as well that he didn't know what he was doing out there. Said something like the minimal number of targets wasn't the QB's fault implying JG ran wrong routes when his number was dialed up. Todd Haley, while never publicly saying it, impressed me throughout as someone that had little use for JG's games. Like I said, I wish him well and hope he gets his life straightened out. Good for him going to the Pats, maybe they will be able to get out of him what Cleveland never could.

Are the Browns the Patriots unofficial farm team?
Yes

Gordon flunked his way from the Browns onto a Superbowl contender. I'm thinking he suddenly and mysteriously has zero issues and flies a straight and narrow path to stardom.
Similar situation with LeGarrette Blount.  Blount was released by Steelers for off field issues then signed with NE soon after.  Was very productive for NE and won the SB that year iirc   

Either the Patriots organization can instill discipline into Gordon and he buys in under their leadership, or he'll crash and burn there.  If any organization has the structure to keep him on the right path, that's the one.  From all the reporting, Gordon has been living a clean and responsible life for the last year, even asking for help when he needed it.  This can only help him assuming that's the case.

Low risk to the Patriots with a MASSIVE amount of upside.  ####### Patriots.

A 5th, (which will presumably be closer to a 6th), and “if he stays on the roster for 10 games” a conditional later round pick. 

:unsure:

So....to point out the glaring obvious, why wouldn’t the Pats simply start Gordon for 4-5-6 games, then cut him when Edelman is back?   :shrug:

I’m not seeing how this is a smart deal for the Browns. The Pats get to “rent to own”, like a friggin home appliance. 

If Gordon f’s up, or relapses, or just isn’t as good as the Pats want,they rented a player for a 5th rounder. 

This is the craziest story line over the last several seasons and it just keeps getting weirder.

:popcorn:  

A 5th, (which will presumably be closer to a 6th), and “if he stays on the roster for 10 games” a conditional later round pick. 

So....to point out the glaring obvious, why wouldn’t the Pats simply start Gordon for 4-5-6 games, then cut him when Edelman is back?   :shrug:

I’m not seeing how this is a smart deal for the Browns. The Pats get to “rent to own”, like a friggin home appliance. 

If Gordon f’s up, or relapses, or just isn’t as good as the Pats want,they rented a player for a 5th rounder. 

This is the craziest story line over the last several seasons and it just keeps getting weirder.

Seems like the Browns were finally just done with him. 

I think you might've missed another thing:

the Pats will get back "a late-rounder from the Browns."
If Gordon isn't active 10 games the Browns give the Patriots a pick. They are going to pay a team to take Gordon off their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, the 5th is the most they get.  If he plays less than 10 games the Browns have to give a pick back to NEP.

A few things:

- Edelman is back after Week 4.

- Edelman and Gordon have completely different skill sets.

- Edelman and Gordon will presumably be starting together by the end of the season.

This is a potential historic steal for the New England Patriots...How the hell did they pull this off? If (and it’s a big IF) Gordon stays healthy, he is a #1 wr for the fantasy stretch run. This is unreal.

Because they are more interested in winning Super Bowls than a 5th round draft pick.  

Here is a crazy idea - maybe they want to line him up on the outside so they can compete with Jacksonville the next time they see them. 

I think you might've missed another thing:

If Gordon isn't active 10 games the Browns give the Patriots a pick. They are going to pay a team to take Gordon off their hands.
Omg I misread that. I thought it was the Pats sending a late rounder to the Browns.

Silver lining for Raiders I guess since that’s possible worse than sending a 2nd with Mack to the Bears.   :shrug:

I don’t even know what’s going on any more. Trades used to make sense.

It actually may be exactly what he needs. 
Suuuuuuuuuuure it is.

Second chance has turned out well for one of JG's buddies.

At least it could turn out a funny tweet or two.

https://twitter.com/JManziel2/status/1034193218068467713

Johnny Manziel‏Verified account @JManziel2

FollowFollow @JManziel2

One of the funniest things I’ve ever been a part of coming out tomorrow. Appreciate the invite and the great talk @KevinHart4real @ratty @LOLNetwork @OBB #ColdAsBalls

Schefter just clarifed that the pick the Pats could get would be a 7th rounder... (see my original post last page)

This is basura. I know the Jets would've paid a 3rd or 4th rounder for the guy straight up. Why would Cleveland take this deal?

A few things:

- Edelman is back after Week 4.

- Edelman and Gordon have completely different skill sets.

- Edelman and Gordon will presumably be starting together by the end of the season.
Or not. Who the hell knows what’s gonna happen. I mean, other than Gordon owners suddenly having to change their underpants, & @Soulfly3 suddenly becoming the biggest Patriots fan on the forum, of course.  :shrug:

whiskey7 said:
Randy Moss had an attitude problem. When things didn't go his way, he acted like a child. When he was getting the ball and/or the team was winning, he was generally not a problem. NE had a plan to get him the ball and they had a winning culture. They had good reason to believe it would work when they took him in.

Gordon's issues are far different from Moss'. I agree with those folks who've said NE (despite their need at WR) knows better than to bring trouble the likes of Gordon into their organization. Belichick is smart enough to know no matter how good of a coach he is he'd never be able to get into Gordon's head with all the demons that reside there, IMO.
How about now?

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 16m16 minutes ago

More

Full compensation trade update: Patriots send Browns a 2019 fifth-round pick for WR Josh Gordon and get back a 2019 seventh-round pick if he is not active for 10 games, source tells ESPN. Trade was supposed to be for a 6th-round pick, but Patriots don't have a 6th.

Getting anything more than a conditional 7th rounder is a plus for the Browns. He won't make the season in NE and Browns get a 5th. They send back the 7th rounder from the Bills they got for Coleman or their 7th rounder, whichever is worse. Not like they are going to draft another kicker with it :D

I know the Pats are famous for acquiring “outlier” WRs for a lack of a better word & precious few have been productive, but how many came to them in their physical prime & with that much raw talent?

Moss comes to mind on the talent side of it, but I don’t know how old he was without looking. I’m think Gordon has a huge leg up on the vast majority of those guys.

Getting anything more than a conditional 7th rounder is a plus for the Browns. He won't make the season in NE and Browns get a 5th. They send back the 7th rounder from the Bills they got for Coleman or their 7th rounder, whichever is worse. Not like they are going to draft another kicker with it :D
Wonder what Vegas odds on that are. 

No I don't think that is... I read it as NE trades a 5th to CLE, if he'snot active for 10 games the Browns send an additional pick back to NE (so maybe a 6th?) 
It's one of 2 trades:

Patriots send a 5th to Cleveland for Gordon and a 7th IF Gordon plays fewer than 10 games

Patriots send a 5th to Cleveland for Gordon IF Gordon plays more than 10 games

I don't think the Patriots care about the late 7th round pick and I doubt they'd hold back Gordon just to get it if Gordon can help them win.  They presumably made this move because with his head on straight, Gordon can be a true difference maker, and this weekend showed them they're going to need more to beat the Jags (and likely a few other teams too).

Users who are viewing this thread