Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ignoratio Elenchi

***Official*** 2012 FBG Subscriber Contest Thread

QB:

Brees

Locker

Think Brees is his usual productive self. Wanted a Big 3 QB and like his consistant high yardage totals. Can't really argue against any of the big 3 though. Locker I correctly suspected would be on a fair share of rosters, but I think he's a prototypical boom/bust player, but with a decent floor thanks to his ability to run, which is exactly what you want to pair with an elite QB. Well worth the $ to upgrade of someone like Tannehill.

RB:

S.Jackson

D.Martin

M.Lynch

R.Williams

F.Jones

D.McCluster

C.Benson

With the increase from .5 ppr to 1 ppr for RB's I though it was prudent to get RB's that can catch the ball. Jackson and Martin both should fill that need. Between Jackson, Martin and Lynch, I should get steady numbers out of the RB position, with a couple big games thrown in there. I've never been very impressed with Beanie Wells and think that Ryan Williams eventually takes over that job. Same with DeMarco Murray. I believe Felix is the more talented back and will get a fair share of playing time. I don't know if he overtakes the full time job from Murray, but think it becomes a hot hand situation, which works for a best ball format. I think Benson will do well in GB, and at $3 it made sense. The last spot came down between Royster and McCluster. I went with McCluster for a couple reasons. One, uniqueness. Two, I just don't think Royster is that talented and will eventually play 2nd fiddle to Helu, and three, with the Full PPR for RB's I like the flexibility he offers.

WR:

A.J. Green

H. Nicks

Steve Johnson

LaFell

Blackmon

J.Baldwin

A.Roberts

M.Thomas

I believe to do well in this contest you need to hit on your recievers. Outside of QB's, they are the players whom when they blow up, they can literally carry your team past the cut line. So I went with 3 guys who I think can have a huge week any given week. Not only can they all hit 80 receptions, they all have the skill set that they only need 1 reception to turn in a decent week. Big Fan of LaFell this year. He looks focused and I wouldn't be shocked to see him and not Smitty lead the Panthers in receiving this year. Blackmon, imo, was no brainer. Gabbert looks like he's improved (couldn't really get worse), and they should still be playing from behind this year. I expect Blackmon to have several 8+ reception games. Baldwin is a flyer and probably wouldn't be on my team if he'd cost any more than the $4 he did. He has the talent, its about opportunity now. Roberts is a guy that I think can give me 3 or 4 receptions each week and make sure that I don't ever take a 0 for one of my spots. With the addition of Blackmon and Robinson, M. Thomas will be allowed to move into the slot position, which I think he's much better suited for.

TE:

Gresham

Keller

Went "light" here with a couple of guys who I think have top 5 talent just not top 5 opportunity. Regardless they both should be solid and end up in the top 10. Most will point to Gresham's low YPC, but if you wanted the games last year, you can see it was by design. With a rookie Dalton starting they ran Gresham on a lot of 3 to 5 yard outs to begin the season (which he's excellent at running btw). As the season progressed he began running more 5 to 7 yard patterns, and then ended the season running 10 yard patterns. I think we see a much better YPC out of him. Keller I think is very underrated. A lot has to do with how poorly the Jets offense looked. But even if they are as bad as most think they'll be, they're still going to rack up at a minimum 2700-3000 passing yards. Those stats have to go to someone and I think it's logical that they go to Keller (and Holmes). His 65/815/5 last year is definitely duplicable, and I think they increase.

PK:

Gould

Barth

Who cares? I went with Gould because I think Chicago's offense will be good but not elite. Just good enough to get into FG range, but not elite enough to consistently punch it in for a TD. Same with Tampa.

Def:

Jets

Chiefs

Def is pretty much a crapshoot. Picked 2 that should provide some decent sack and Int totals.

Mah team. In draft dominator, this team consistently goes for 150-160+ points/week except on bye weeks. Playoff weeks are all projeced for 160+.

Aaron Rodgers $31 Andrew Luck $11

Do not like Rodgers' late bye, but I have him far and away as the best QB. Luck provides some cheap concussion insurance with high upside.

Arian Foster $34 Darren Sproles $23 Bilal Powell $4 Cedric Benson $3 Evan Royster $3 Taiwan Jones $2

Again, compared to the other slim pickings at the stud level of RB, Foster provides the most value to me. I'm counting on Sproles being another PPR monster. I forget why I took Powell but whatever. Benson and Royster are on everyone's team. I figured the chance of McFadden getting hurt is high, so $2 on Taiwan Jones is a no-brainer.

Hakeem Nicks $21 Steve Johnson $18 Antonio Brown $17 Danny Amendola $6 Eddie Royal $2 Ryan Broyles $2 A.J. Jenkins $2

Nicks/Johnson/Brown are my anchors here as I expect them all to have good years. The rest are basically cheap flyers that may have some spiky weeks to help out here and there.

Jimmy Graham $29 Aaron Hernandez $23

In going with a lower number of players than I used to, I wanted some extra kick to help in the flex position. 1.5 ppr for TEs sounds very sexy to me and I expect both of these guys contributing most weeks.

Jay Feely $3 Shaun Suisham $3 Lawrence Tynes $3

The usual cheap kickers.

Seattle Seahawks $4 Cincinnati Bengals $3 St. Louis Rams $3

The usual cheap defenses.

My team:

Matthew Stafford $26

Jake Locker $9

Stud +1 theory. I think that Locker is going to provide some good value and decent insurance in case Stafford misses game(s)

-------------------------

Ray Rice $33

Maurice Jones-Drew $25

Jacquizz Rodgers $10

Cedric Benson $3

Evan Royster $3

Bernard Pierce $3

Ronnie Brown $2

Taiwan Jones $2

I really wanted to go with two solid options at RB, and I went with MJD because I don't think I have to sweat the early weeks and I expect him to round in to form during that time. I also thought that he may be somewhat ignored by those that set their lineups early and didn't come back to change them once he reported. Those two aside, I thought that Rodgers has big upside later in the season if Mike Turner fades out, and that Benson and Royster were just great value. As for Ronnie Brown, he's starting week 1 and perhaps week 2.

Julio Jones $23

Hakeem Nicks $21

Justin Blackmon $7

Andre Roberts $3

Mohamed Massaquoi $3

Harry Douglas $3

Josh Morgan $3

Kevin Ogletree $3

Donald Driver $2

----------------------

Here I tried to do a mix of quality + quantity. Julio and Nicks should be studs (although Nicks is obviously nicked up a lot), but them aside I think there's good value in all of the remaining picks with the possible exception of Massaquoi and maybe Driver. Blackmon should post good numbers and for $7 was a steal, and Roberts, Douglas and Ogletree are all #2/3 WRs in their offenses for low, low dollars.

Jimmy Graham $29

Fred Davis $14

I may be light on the quantity side here, but should be good on the quality side.

Alex Henery $4

Jason Hanson $4

Robbie Gould $3

Lawrence Tynes $3

Not much to say here except that I wanted at least four kickers. I think these guys are kickers that are on offenses that should be able to move the ball. Not that that's necessarily a formula for success w/kickers.

Philadelphia Eagles $6

Cincinnati Bengals $3

A couple of defenses - what's there to say?

I expect my (non K or D) starting lineup will likely be the following:

Stafford

Rice

MJD

JJones

Nicks

Blackmon

Graham

And that my flex will come from a Royster, Blackmon or Fred Davis with a bunch of wild cards thrown in. Of course injuries will come in to play and I'll need lots of luck to advance as always.

I've done this contest for five or so years and I really enjoy it. Hopefully I can make the final 250 this time.

Link to my team

QB - 3 for 12%

Palmer (5) - 15

Flacco (8) - 11

Tannehill (7) - 4

Would've been happy with Ben, Fitzpatrick, and Locker, too, but I went pretty cheap. Really like Palmer's upside after what he did last year without an offseason. Flacco was a bargain due to his down year. I think the D suffers this year and am hoping he throws at least as much as last year but with his 2010 production per attempt. Downgraded from Locker to Tannehill in order to get Crabtree.

RB - 9 for 30%

Lynch (11) - 19

Ridley (9) - 16

Hillis (7) - 14

Blount (5) - 6

Vereen (9) - 6

Powell (9) - 4

Dwyer (4) - 4

Benson (10) - 3

Royster (10) - 3

These guys are all found on my real teams except Benson and Royster. I'm definitely all in on Hillis this year. As much as I like Lynch this season I wasn't going to pay top dollar for a running back but his DUI came right before these came out so he was a freaking bargain. I don't like to blow 9 roster spots on RBs but I loved the value plays at RB so much that I couldn't resist. Allowed me to splurge at WR. Pretty much counting on my flex being RB.

WR - 8 for 37.2%

Lloyd (9) - 18

Decker (7) - 17

T.Smith (8) - 16

Boldin (8) - 12

Moore (6) - 11

Crabtree (9) - 11

S.Smith (9) - 5

A.Roberts (10) - 3

Really betting on the Baltimore passing game. Had Wayne but subbed Boldin as I had to make room for Crabtree who was a late "must have" addition. Don't know how I didn't notice his great second half last year until a week or so ago. I like him and Moore for 80/1000/7 type numbers. Smith and Roberts were value plays I just couldn't remove. I would've liked to have squeezed Brad Smith in for his wildcat usage for only $2 but only had 30 spots to work with. Lloyd and T.Smith are the main guys on my real teams. I definitely bought into the Decker hype but couldn't land him in drafts due to my Lloyd/Hillis/T.Smith 4/5/6 picks.

TE - 4 for 12.8%

Daniels (8) - 11

Olsen (6) - 11

Z.Miller (11) - 6

Bennett (11) - 4

Really, really wanted to find a way to land Gates but couldn't do it. I'd have had to nix Daneils or Olsen but their value was just too great at $11. Zach Miller was a late addition when Winslow was cut. Love his talent. Ridiculous value. Same with Bennett. Kevin Boss had value in NY, so if Bennett is motivated he'll be a steal.

K - 3 for 3.6%

Hauschka (11) - 3

Prater (7) - 3

Lindell (8) - 3

Can't spend more than $3 on a kicker. I like these offenses best out of the $3 kickers.

Def - 3 for 4.4%

NYJ (9) - 4

Sea (11) - 4

KC (7) - 3

Usually don't spend more than $3 per D, but I had a couple bucks left over and I like those two.

Drew Brees $29

Matt Schaub $13

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred Jackson $21

Doug Martin $21

Willis McGahee $16

Mikel Leshoure $9

Cedric Benson $3

Evan Royster $3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin Johnson $29

Antonio Brown $17

Mike Wallace $16

Kenny Britt $13

Justin Blackmon $7

Danny Amendola $6

Antonio Gates $20

Greg Olsen $11

Nate Kaeding $4

Rob Bironas $3

Buffalo Bills $5

San Diego Chargers $4

looks like i finally have a relatively unique team, which is good

don't understand the low own % on Sproles, he was the first one i grabbed and never had him out of any iteration

I've always been a max roster guy. Despite finishing in the top 10 last year I tossed that model out this year.

Michael Vick 7 $22

Joe Flacco 8 $11

I had Ryan for the longest time but the more I thought about it, the more Vick stood out as a difference maker. If you take Dodds' projections for vick from 13 to 16 games, he suddenly becomes the second ranked QB behind Rodgers. I also knew Vick wouldn't be heavily owned. Vick is the type of guy who could hang a fifty spot during the playoff week.

Arian Foster 8 $34

Stevan Ridley 9 $16

David Wilson 11 $9

Rashard Mendenhall 4 $4

Cedric Benson 10 $3

Taiwan Jones 5 $2

Foster is simply the best fantasy back when healthy. Ridley could put up top 10 RB #'s for dirt cheap. Got Wilson like everyone else along with the usual suspects. I'll have five potential socres each week.

Calvin Johnson 5 $29

Brandon Marshall 6 $22

Torrey Smith 8 $16

Kenny Britt 11 $13

Justin Blackmon 6 $7

Eddie Royal 7 $2

Ryan Broyles 5 $2

Best fantasy WR...check. Marshall is a top 5 guy. Smith offers potential for huge weeks. Britt has top 5 talent and became a must have once the suspension news came out. On Blackmon for the same reasons as everyone else. I may be on an island regarding Royal, but something tells me at the end of the year we look back and say why didn't we see the coming. Broyles is a cheap CJ handcuff if the Madden curse rears it's head.

Jimmy Graham 6 $29

Scott Chandler 8 $6

Dwayne Allen 4 $2

Continuing the theme of owning the best fantasy option at the position. I probably spent more time on this position than anywhere else. I love Gates this year but his bye didn't pair well with the other mid-tier guys. Pettigrew was too many eggs in the Detiot basket for a playoff run. I wanted to go stronger at this position but had to have Marshall/Britt.

Matt Prater 7 $3

Shaun Suisham 4 $3

Lawrence Tynes 11 $3

Hopefull three is enough with the new scoring, but four would probably feel better.

Buffalo Bills 8 $5

Seattle Seahawks 11 $4

Kansas City Chiefs 7 $3

Hopefully paying the extra $3 for Buffalo and Seattle proves worthwhile.

As I mentioned, always been a big roster guy but how can you not like trotting out Vick/Foster/Ridley/CJ/Marshall/Britt/Graham as a starting lineup.

fire away.

don't understand the low own % on Sproles, he was the first one i grabbed and never had him out of any iteration

It's a good format for him, but you're basically paying the price from last year's stats to hope he duplicates it. Very little room for him to outperform his price IMO.

I probably will be kicking myself for not factoring in the PPR change more though. We'll see.

He was on my early version as well. I think I took him off because (a) I sort of felt like I was overpaying for last year's stats, which I think he's unlikely to repeat, and (b) I decided to take Jimmy Graham and didn't want two of my top skill players competing for touches and sharing the same bye week.

My team with explanations

QB - Matt Ryan - ATL/7 - $19

QB - Joe Flacco - BAL/8 - $11

As opposed to most my usual strategy is not stud and scrub. I try to grab a mid level guy that I expect will jump significantly to near elite levels. Last year that was Stafford, this year I think Ryan is the guy. For my backup I had Luck, Flacco and Locker all at different times. I think each of them will have good enough weeks to score over Ryan as well as cover the bye week. Went with Flacco because he has a proven floor.

RB - Arian Foster - HOU/8 - $34

RB - Darren McFadden - OAK/5 - $26

RB - Kendall Hunter - SF/9 - $6

RB - Jonathan Dwyer - PIT/4 - $4

RB - Cedric Benson - GB/10 - $3

RB - Evan Royster - WAS/10 - $3

Last year I went with the like 5 or 6 RB's in the mid range of prices and ended up with a bunch of crap. With the pricing the way it is I felt a couple stud RB's was doable. If they remain healthy I expect Foster and McFadden to be the top 2 RB's this year so that was a no brainer to me. I know McFadden is an injury risk but you need to take chances to win it all. If he wasn't an injury risk his cost would be more in line with the top 3 RB's as well. I expect Hunter to be the starter in SF before the year is over. I took Dwyer over Mendenhall because I believe he is the more talented back and has a higher ceiling. I am sure Royster and Benson will not live up to the hype but I would hate to not have them and they do at those prices. Also really like J. Rodgers, D. Wilson, Turbin and B. Powell at their prices but could not fit them in.

WR - Calvin Johnson - DET/5 - $29

WR - Julio Jones - ATL/7 - $23

WR - Brandon Marshall - CHI/6 - $22

WR - Justin Blackmon - JAX/6 - $7

WR - Davone Bess - MIA/7 - $6

WR - Danny Amendola - STL/9 - $6

Last year Calvin Johnson almost single handedly kept me in contention despite an awful RB corps. His price did not correct enough this year, so I will gladly take him again. Jones and Marshall are two guys I expect to finish in the top 5 as well, so I had to fit them in. Marshall in particular will be a monster in this format IMO. Blackmon is a guy I would have paid an extra $5 for. I see him ending up as my flex a lot of weeks. Bess and Amendola are two rock solid PPR guys who won't have monster weeks, but will ensure a solid minimum level of production at the position. Really wanted to fit Titus Young and Austin Collie into the mix, but I couldn't make it work.

TE - Jimmy Graham - NO/6 - $29

TE - Scott Chandler - BUF/8 - $6

This was my most changed position. I had Greg Olsen locked in from Day 1 as a super value pick. Decided it was worth the money for Graham and Olsen had the same bye so I couldn't keep him as well. Chandler is a guy who I think will be a fringe TE1 this year. He is pretty much there to cover the bye week, though I expect he might factor in as a flex a few times this year too. I also strongly considered Pettigrew, Gates and Hernandez, but I am happy with what I ended up with.

PK - Rob Bironas - TEN/11 - $3

PK - Matt Prater - DEN/7 - $3

PK - Justin Medlock - CAR/6 - $3

3 kickers on offenses I like with different bye weeks. Not too much thought involved.

TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/11 - $4

TD - Cincinnati Bengals - CIN/8 - $3

Obviously a lot of people are on the Seattle DEF bandwagon. Hopefully that pick pays off. I wanted 3 DEF's but I just couldn't swing it. The Bengals are a total guess as to what $3 DEF will perform best.

I started out with a roster of 28 and as I changed more and more my roster got smaller and smaller. The prices of the studs are too low to not load up on them IMO. With Foster, McFadden, Calvin, Julio, Marshall and Graham it is hard to imagine a week that at least 2 of them don't blow up for monster points and almost single handedly carry me through the cut. Or at least that is the theory.

FWIW this lineup is projected at #6 for the Week 1 points

It's a good format for him, but you're basically paying the price from last year's stats to hope he duplicates it. Very little room for him to outperform his price IMO.

I probably will be kicking myself for not factoring in the PPR change more though. We'll see.

I think a lot of people are down on Saint players not named Graham due to uncertaintly surrounding not having Payton on the sideline. That coupled with what cheese said (that best case scenario is he duplicates last year and lives up to not exceeds his cost), makes him on less rosters than you'd expect.

Fired up the querier and found that I am the ONLY team with the following:

QB - A. Rogers

RB - L. McCoy

WR - J. Jones

WR - D. Bryant

TE - J. Graham

I have lots of overlap with other teams on lower priced players so I like being the only team with this stud combo this year...

I think a lot of people are down on Saint players not named Graham due to uncertaintly surrounding not having Payton on the sideline. That coupled with what cheese said (that best case scenario is he duplicates last year and lives up to not exceeds his cost), makes him on less rosters than you'd expect.

I thought Sporles was overpriced. Just a few more bucks and you can have Rice or Foster rather than a guy competing with Ingram and Thomas.

I always am interested in the ownership statistics as I think that the high ownership percentage players represent the wisdom of the crowd and these players typically pay off over the long run.

I own the #1 and #5 Quarterbacks, the #1, #2, and #3 running backs, the #2 and #3 wide receivers, the #2 and #3 tight ends, and the #1, #2, and #3 kickers.

I am surprised by the low ownership of a few players that I rostered. Andre Johnson at 3.4%, Colston at 4.8% nad Steven Jackson t 8.6%. These guys could be difference makers for my team.

Here's my team...26 players.

Went with Britt, despite the suspension, since it seems like it will be easier to advance for the first few weeks this year.

Drew Brees $29

Matt Cassel $9

Chris Johnson $27

Willis McGahee $16

Toby Gerhart $13

Michael Bush $10

Rashad Jennings $9

Bilal Powell $4

Taiwan Jones $2

Wes Welker $23

Kenny Britt $13

Nate Burleson $8

Davone Bess $6

Alshon Jeffery $6

Steve Smith $5

Jonathan Baldwin $4

Louis Murphy $2

Vernon Davis $17

Tony Gonzalez $13

Greg Olsen $11

Jason Hanson $4

Rob Bironas $3

Matt Prater $3

Baltimore Ravens $5

Pittsburgh Steelers $5

Kansas City Chiefs $3

And, hopefully, when every team in the NFL decides it needs to shut down Graham to beat NO, it will open up even more opportunities for Sproles.

Decided to go a completely different direction this year with a small roster of 19. I've always been a max size roster guy, but the pricing of studs made them more attractive this year. I didn't like the way my team looked at 30, and I kept whittling it down until it ended up here. This is clearly a risky strategy with no backup QB, but I hope Brees's early bye will help there.RB's: Instead of the "big 3" I had Foster and Rice as a tier to themselves. I played around with different combinations of one or the other with others like McFadden since it seemed crazy to have both with a week 8 bye. But then I thought "why not?" since I was using a high risk strategy anyway, and I only had one other player (CIN Defense) with a week 8 bye. Hopefully, Mendenhall will be productive by Week 8, and I'm sure Benson and Royster will be on a high percentage of teams.WR's: Would have liked to get a cheap 7th WR here, but I think the cheap GB guys will be productive and I like Roberts as a $3 player. Lots of cheap players with week 10 byes.TE's: 2 studs here.K and D: I was disappointed that there weren't any $2 defenses. Using the 3 $2 defenses last year worked great, with lots of random big games from bad defenses. I decided to go the same route this year with 3 defenses with different byes.Drew Brees/6 $29 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Arian Foster/8 $34 Ray Rice /8 $33 Rashard Mendenhall/4 $4 Cedric Benson/10 $3 Evan Royster/10 $3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Calvin Johnson/5 $29 Julio Jones /7 $23 Percy Harvin/11 $20 James Jones/10 $3 Andre Roberts/10 $3 Donald Driver/10 $2 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jimmy Graham/6 $29 Antonio Gates/7 $20 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rob Bironas/11 $3 Matt Prater/7 $3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cincinnati Bengals/8 $3 New Orleans Saints/6 $3 Kansas City Chiefs/7 $3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really like this team, although I don't like having only one QB.

Decided to go a completely different direction this year with a small roster of 19. I've always been a max size roster guy, but the pricing of studs made them more attractive this year. I didn't like the way my team looked at 30, and I kept whittling it down until it ended up here. This is clearly a risky strategy with no backup QB, but I hope Brees's early bye will help there.RB's: Instead of the "big 3" I had Foster and Rice as a tier to themselves. I played around with different combinations of one or the other with others like McFadden since it seemed crazy to have both with a week 8 bye. But then I thought "why not?" since I was using a high risk strategy anyway, and I only had one other player (CIN Defense) with a week 8 bye. Hopefully, Mendenhall will be productive by Week 8, and I'm sure Benson and Royster will be on a high percentage of teams.WR's: Would have liked to get a cheap 7th WR here, but I think the cheap GB guys will be productive and I like Roberts as a $3 player. Lots of cheap players with week 10 byes.TE's: 2 studs here.K and D: I was disappointed that there weren't any $2 defenses. Using the 3 $2 defenses last year worked great, with lots of random big games from bad defenses. I decided to go the same route this year with 3 defenses with different byes.Drew Brees/6 $29 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Arian Foster/8 $34 Ray Rice /8 $33 Rashard Mendenhall/4 $4 Cedric Benson/10 $3 Evan Royster/10 $3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Calvin Johnson/5 $29 Julio Jones /7 $23 Percy Harvin/11 $20 James Jones/10 $3 Andre Roberts/10 $3 Donald Driver/10 $2 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jimmy Graham/6 $29 Antonio Gates/7 $20 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rob Bironas/11 $3 Matt Prater/7 $3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cincinnati Bengals/8 $3 New Orleans Saints/6 $3 Kansas City Chiefs/7 $3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really like this team, although I don't like having only one QB.
Also not a big fan of having only 3 Wrs and 3 RBs (assuming no injuries) in Week 10. That could get tense, even 5 of the 6 are studs.

I thought Sporles was overpriced. Just a few more bucks and you can have Rice or Foster rather than a guy competing with Ingram and Thomas.

11 isn't a few

Matt Ryan $19

Andrew Luck $11

Wasn't willing to shell out the big bucks for the top QBs and thought Ryan has a chance to be top 5 with all of the pre-season buzz. I think Luck is huge in this format with 6pt passing TDs, think he will outscore Griffin in this format. That defense is TURRI-BLE. He will need to throw a lot, will help if Collie stays healthy.

-----------

Marshawn Lynch $19

C.J. Spiller $15

Kendall Hunter $6

Robert Turbin $6

Jonathan Dwyer $4

Dexter McCluster $3

Cedric Benson $3

Everytime I put more money into RB, I saw the players at WR and TE that I really wanted. RB is the most opportunity driven of the positions, so I need to pray for some injuries/blow-ups. Voodoo dolls of Frank Gore and Fred Jackson are on their way.

-----------

Calvin Johnson $29

Julio Jones $23

Brandon Marshall $22

Justin Blackmon $7

Steve Smith $5

James Jones $3

Eddie Royal $2

I tried to only do 2 $20+ guys and kept thinking how nice it would be to have 3, a lot of risk in this approach but think the payoff is worth it - think each of those 3 can go off for 10+ receptions in any game.

-----------

Jimmy Graham $29

Aaron Hernandez $23

Dwayne Allen $2

Couldn't decide between Graham or Hernandez so went with both. I think Hernandez is definitely top 3 if he stays healthy.

-----------

Rob Bironas $3

Rian Lindell $3

Justin Medlock $3

-----------

Seattle Seahawks $4

Cincinnati Bengals $3

New Orleans Saints $3

Kickers and defense were grab 3 for cheap - had $1 left over so upgraded to Seattle's defense.

Obviously need some RBs to step up. I like the rest of this roster assuming Ryan can make the jump to a top 5 guy.

-----------------------------------

Matt Ryan $19

Christian Ponder $9

I am putting a lot of faith in Matt Ryan here, maybe too much.

Darren McFadden $26

Jonathan Stewart $16

Peyton Hillis $14

Kevin Smith $12

Cedric Benson $3

Taiwan Jones $2

Mcfadden could ruin me. I am having regrets about not fitting Dwyer onto my roster, hope it works out ok. I think Stewart is a player with a high floor (assuming he gets healthy) and a potentially high ceiling if Williams goes down.

Percy Harvin $20

Brandon Lloyd $18

Steve Johnson $18

Mike Wallace $16

Titus Young $10

Jonathan Baldwin $4

Kevin Walter $4

Harry Douglas $3

I like this unit.

Antonio Gates $20

Brandon Pettigrew $15

Stay healthy Antonio...

Rob Bironas $3

Robbie Gould $3

Rian Lindell $3

Mike Nugent $3

Washington Redskins $3

Cincinnati Bengals $3

New Orleans Saints $3

The winning team (tee hee)Drew Brees $29 Matt Ryan $19

It's a lot to spend at QB, but at 6 points per passing TD, I couldn't resist.

Matt Forte $27 Fred Jackson $21 Peyton Hillis $14 Michael Bush $10 Cedric Benson $3 Taiwan Jones $2

With Forte and Jackson, I have two RBs that will produce solid numbers. If Forte goes down with an injury, I have no doubt that Bush can step right in and put up very good numbers. I can't believe there are rosters without Benson. I know he won't be a unique player on these rosters, but at $3, Benson was one of the only real bargains at RB.

Brandon Marshall $22 Brandon Lloyd $18 Torrey Smith $16 Justin Blackmon $7 Kendall Wright $6 Danny Amendola $6 Donald Driver $2 Eddie Royal $2

I'm all in with Marshall and Lloyd. Both guys are on my dynasty team, as well. I think Marshall finishes easily in the top five, and Lloyd could do that, too. In the Torrey Smith slot, I toyed with guys like Garcon, Wayne, and Dez.

Brandon Pettigrew $15 Greg Olsen $11 Martellus Bennett $4

All signs point to Pettigrew having a monster season. He had a ton of targets last year, and I think he'll get more TDs to go along with those targets in 2012. Bennett is a bit under the radar, but the talent is certainly there.

Rob Bironas $3 Adam Vinatieri $3 Matt Prater $3 New York Jets $4 Kansas City Chiefs $3

Number of entries by roster size================================18 463319 181320 137721 114622 96623 81424 62725 48426 38427 31228 23029 19330 339

Interesting. Huge number of small rosters this year.

Number of entries by roster size

================================

18 4633

19 1813

20 1377

21 1146

22 966

23 814

24 627

25 484

26 384

27 312

28 230

29 193

30 339

Interesting. Huge number of small rosters this every year.

FTFY

18 4633

19 1813

20 1377

21 1146

22 966

23 814

24 627

25 484

26 384

27 312

28 230

29 193

30 339

FTFY

Seems like more this year. Drinen?

Isn't he a top 5 back in PPR format? I guess it does depend on how much of last year he repeats, but even with lower stats that I projected, he's easily worth the price. Plus, his ceiling is definitely a repeat of last year which makes him a potential top 5 back in this format at $10 cheaper than the other projected top 5 backs.

Size	2011 Ct	2011 %	2012 Ct	2012 %18	3568	33.1%	4633	34.8%19	1393	12.9%	1813	13.6%20	1059	9.8%	1377	10.3%21	836	7.8%	1146	8.6%22	766	7.1%	966	7.3%23	641	5.9%	814	6.1%24	547	5.1%	627	4.7%25	396	3.7%	484	3.6%26	415	3.9%	384	2.9%27	296	2.7%	312	2.3%28	269	2.5%	230	1.7%29	214	2.0%	193	1.4%30	375	3.5%	339	2.5%TOTAL	10775		13318	

Matthew Stafford $26

I think the one QB play is the right risk to take in this format. I took a top tier QB with an early bye. I flirted with the Vick/Flacco combo but wanted the money elsewhere.

LeSean McCoy $32 Darren McFadden $26 Stevan Ridley $16 Jonathan Dwyer $4 Cedric Benson $3

Went top end RB with value guys that I'm sure most rosters have. Ridley was a tough call and a player I went back and forth on. Also went back and forth on McCoy vs. Chris Johnson vs. Arian Foster.

Larry Fitzgerald $25 Julio Jones $23 Brandon Marshall $22 Pierre Garcon $14 Justin Blackmon $7 Danny Amendola $6

Like RB, I went top tier here. I would imagine Blackmon and Amendola are on most rosters. I wanted WRs that could put up 30 point games and I think I have that here.

Antonio Gates $20 Martellus Bennett $4 Kellen Davis $4

Loved Gates' value and then selected a couple 40 reception guys. I thought there were several good values at TE this year.

Adam Vinatieri $3 Matt Prater $3 Rian Lindell $3 Jacksonville Jaguars $3 Carolina Panthers $3 Washington Redskins $3

You need to go 3/3 here IMHO.My risks are A) week 5 with no QB. B) Weeks 6 and 7 I have a fair amount of byes. C) Of course McFadden, Gates and Stafford haven't been ironmen so there is obvious risk there. IMHO, the best bet is to take risk early and have your guns loaded for weeks 9+.Garcon/Ridley are my most unpredictable...those guys are probably what makes or breaks this squad's chances.

Size	2011 Ct	2011 %	2012 Ct	2012 %18	3568	33.1%	4633	34.8%19	1393	12.9%	1813	13.6%20	1059	9.8%	1377	10.3%21	836	7.8%	1146	8.6%22	766	7.1%	966	7.3%23	641	5.9%	814	6.1%24	547	5.1%	627	4.7%25	396	3.7%	484	3.6%26	415	3.9%	384	2.9%27	296	2.7%	312	2.3%28	269	2.5%	230	1.7%29	214	2.0%	193	1.4%30	375	3.5%	339	2.5%TOTAL	10775		13318	
As always, thanks for the awesome stats/insight. I am a little surprised that there is that little drop-off year over year. I guess my mindset is different as I was one of the 30-man teams this year and now down to 25.

Isn't he a top 5 back in PPR format? I guess it does depend on how much of last year he repeats, but even with lower stats that I projected, he's easily worth the price. Plus, his ceiling is definitely a repeat of last year which makes him a potential top 5 back in this format at $10 cheaper than the other projected top 5 backs.
In this scoring system he was the #5 RB last year. He didn't have many rushing attempts, but he had an absurdly high yards per rush average last year. He also had an absurdly high number of targets and catches, on an offense that ran an absurdly high number of plays, with a QB who had an absurdly record-breaking season. It is extremely unlikely that all of those things happen again. It's hard to even call last year his ceiling, because last year was such an outlier. It's certainly possible that he'll do it again, but I don't see it happening. That's not to say he's still not good value at his price, but he's no lock to dominate this format.

Went with a large roster the last 2 years and didnt make it past week 11. Boom or bust this year. 3 lions players could hurt on the week 5 bye or if stafford goes down. Week 7 will be very tough with 2 of my top wrs, and gates on bye. Need the RB's to step up that week.

Matthew Stafford $26 (5)

Joe Flacco $11 (8) Stafford was the cheapest elite, flacco has upside

-------------------------------

Darren McFadden $26 (5)

Steven Jackson $22 (9)

Marshawn Lynch $19 (11)

Cedric Benson $3 (10) A major injury here and I'm finised. Should have taken turbin or taiwan as insurance. Hoping 2 of the big 3 rbs can perform solidly each week

Julio Jones $23 (7)

Percy Harvin $20 (11)

Eric Decker $17 (7)

Pierre Garcon $14 (10)

Titus Young $10 (5)

Danny Amendola $6 (9) Feel good about this group. Tons of ppr value here. Week 7 will be make or break.

Antonio Gates $20 (7) Wanted Graham and a cheap back up originally, thought these 2 together offered better overall value. Hopefully one will be the flex with some big weeks.

Brandon Pettigrew $15 (5)

Rob Bironas $3 (11) Apparently the top 3 kickers selected, different byes and they can all make 50+

Robbie Gould $3 (6)

Matt Prater $3 (7)

Cincinnati Bengals $3 (8) 3 cheap d's different bye's

Kansas City Chiefs $3 (7)

Washington Redskins $3 (10)

This team could definitely get bounced early because of injury or bye's but if I can get to the show I think they can put up some pretty big weeks.

Adam Vinatieri $3 Matt Prater $3 Rian Lindell $3 Jacksonville Jaguars $3 Carolina Panthers $3 Washington Redskins $3

You need to go 3/3 here IMHO.
Last four champions:
Year	K	D2008	2	22009	3	32010	2	22011	2	2

18 4633

19 1813

20 1377

21 1146

22 966

23 814

24 627

25 484

26 384

27 312

28 230

29 193

30 339

FTFY

Perhaps a little, but it seems pretty much in line with what I remember it being in past years.

You need to go 3/3 here IMHO.
Last four champions:
Year	K	D2008	2	22009	3	32010	2	22011	2	2
Yeah, I know. I've got to believe that's mostly coincidence...particularly at PK. I can see having two strong defenses.

In my attempt to improve on the Wk 11 elimination from my rookie year, I only have two players returning to my roster from last season -- Amendola and Decker. Maxed out the cap money this year. My roster total dropped from 27 to 24. The number alone sounds a bit concerning to my big roster ways, but hopefully I've found the right mix of studs and value to make it work.

QB

(7) Matt Ryan $19

(11)Christian Ponder $9

I prefer to have 2 mid QBs over the stud+flyer option. Ryan won out over Stafford for my starting gig based on price. Ponder isn't quite as solid as I would like as my backup, but he has good breakout potential if Rudolph busts out as I predict this year.

RB

(7) Ryan Mathews $30

(5) Doug Martin $21

(7) Jacquizz Rodgers $10

(9) Kendall Hunter $6

(4) Rashard Mendenhall $4

(4) Jonathan Dwyer $4

(7) Ronnie Brown $2

Ronnie Brown as a $2 handcuff makes the injury risk on Mathews bearable. I feel Martin is also a solid pick for the money if he continues to be the feature back in TB's run first offense. If the whispers of Quizz surpassing Turner prove true, I could be sitting on a bargain basement goldmine. His role in the passing game should help pump up his value as well. I'm not quite as sold on Hunter stealing many carries from Gore, but felt he had good late season upside value. Finally, I handcuffed who I think are the top 2 RBs in Pittsburgh for a measly $8. Dwyer will get the bulk of the load early on, but I think when/if Mendy is ready to return, he'll be given the chance to retake the feature role. Redman isn't a full time back IMO. Up until the final change, this team also had ADP, Royster, and Benson on it. But I wasn't comfortable with the mid range boom/bust talent that left me at WR, so they were dropped to make room for Megatron. ADP was the big money cut based on bye week (11) and his injury questions to start the year. Royster was deemed cutworthy due to Shanahanigans, and Benson, while the top RB, is still stuck in a pass heavy offense that I think will minimize his value.

WR

(5) Calvin Johnson $29

(7) Eric Decker $17

(4) Mike Wallace $16

(11)Kenny Britt $13

(6) Justin Blackmon $7

(11)Kendall Wright $6

(9) Danny Amendola $6

(7) Jonathan Baldwin $4

As mentioned in my RB wrap, Mega was the missing link to solidify my WR corps. Wallace and Britt are both great value picks if they live up to their pedigrees. But Britt is always an injury or boneheaded suspension away from being dead money. And Wallace presents question marks in regards to how his holdout will affect him. Decker seems to have good chemistry with Peyton, but I worry about DThomas taking balls away from him. Blackmon and Wright are great upside options, but I want to temper my enthusiasm there, as they're both rookies, and especially in Blackmon's case, have questionable QBs. Amendola is PPR magic and a value post injury. Baldwin is my final value flyer here. KC's run first approach will hurt his numbers, but I'm hoping that he built up enough rapport with Cassel during Bowe's holdout that he will see his share of balls. Eddie Royal at $2 was cut in my final change to clear space for Mega. Much more gain than loss on that end.

TE

(10)Jermichael Finley $16

(11)Kyle Rudolph $11

(4) Dwayne Allen $2

I captured $15 magic at the position last year with Graham. I foresee Rudolph having a similar type of breakout this season. Finley has been pushed down the rankings a bit by the emergence of other stud TEs, but still can produce in the upper to 2nd tier for mid range prices. Allen is a $2 flyer who could have some minimal value in case of bye or injury. Banking that he'll have similar or better receiving numbers than Fleener.

K

(7) Matt Bryant $4

(9) Greg Zuerlein $3

Went $1 over minimum to secure a dome kicker on a potent offense. I like St Louis' offense for a recovery this year if they can stay healthy, but they're still a bit inexperienced and likely to stall out. Enter another dome field advantage kicker.

TM

(9) San Francisco 49ers $6

(8) Houston Texans $5

Splurged a bit here, but got two of the top defenses. They also have good matchups on each other's bye weeks.

My first entry. What do you guys think?

QB

Aaron Rodgers $31 GB/10

Ryan Fitzpatrick $11 BUF/8

I debated for a while going with one of the top 3, or going with a combination of Vick and RG3. In the end, I wanted to be a little safer at QB to counter the higher risk at RB and WR. Paid for Fitz because he faces NE in week 10. Remember what he did last year?

RB

Darren McFadden $26 OAK/5

Adrian Peterson $21 MIN/11

Doug Martin $21 TB/5

Cedric Benson $3 GB/10

Evan Royster $3 WAS/10

Taiwan Jones $2 OAK/5

I think McFadden could be the top RB in fantasy, but got Taiwan Jones as a cheap handcuff just in case. I'm hoping I can survive the early weeks while AP is getting going. I see everyone else is going with Benson and Royster* as well, but two starting RBs for $3 each is hard to pass up. Week 5 will be a problem. Thought about Sproles quite a lot with the full 1.0 PPR.

*Shanahanagins

WR

Julio Jones $23 ATL/7

Percy Harvin $20 MIN/11

Dez Bryant $18 DAL/5

Torrey Smith $16 BAL/8

Danny Amendola $6 STL/9

Steve Smith $5 STL/9

Wanted several undervalued studs here to make up for the inconsistency of WRs. Wanted both Amendola and Steve Smith to get a potential breakout STL receiver. Both Dez and Torrey have a chance of sneaking into the top 10 WRs.

TE

Aaron Hernandez $23 NE/9

Heath Miller $7 PIT/4

Here's where I questioned myself quite a lot. I knew I wanted Aaron, but was considering going with another quality TE using money from one of my WRs, especially with the 1.5PPR for TEs.

K

Mike Nugent $3 CIN/8

Dan Carpenter $3 MIA/7

Whatever. Basically picked the highest ranked kickers that were both $3.

TD

Seattle Seahawks $4 SEA/11

Atlanta Falcons $4 ATL/7

I LOVE the combined schedules of these two.

Every year I do well until injuries strike. This year I put an initial lineup in with the intention of looking closely at it again a few days before the deadline. Well, I forgot about it until 11:50 p.m. last night. Here is the result:

Matthew Stafford $26

Matt Ryan $19

No good reason to take two strong QBs. Apparently I suck.

Darren McFadden $26

Doug Martin $21

Stevan Ridley $16

Bernard Scott $4

Cedric Benson $3

Evan Royster $3

Taiwan Jones $2

If B.Scott is going to do it, this is the year. Taiwan is cheap McFadden insurance. If McFaddy goes down long term, I am sunk, but might be able to weather a short term injury.

Julio Jones $23

Brandon Marshall $22

Dez Bryant $18

Dwayne Bowe $17

Eddie Royal $2

Not enough WRs. I kept tweaking RBs to get more guys that might hit a few weeks, didn't realize I had reduced my WRs to 5 to do that. Still, strong top 4 WRs, and I like Royal to surprise in PPR. San Diego has few targets after Gates that are reliable, I think Eddie will be better than expected.

Antonio Gates $20

Lance Kendricks $9

Martellus Bennett $4

Kendricks is a wild card. I think he gets more targets than most think because the Rams' WRs are not reliable yet.

Matt Prater $3

Connor Barth $3

Greg Zuerlein $3

Three big legs on offenses that might not be red zone efficient.

Kansas City Chiefs $3

Washington Redskins $3

KC has a good playoff schedule, Washington is a bit undervalued. Originally had 3 Ds, must have cut one to buoy my RBs.

~~~~~~

My challenges are week 5 (McFadden, Martin, Bryant, Stafford) and week 7 (Ryan, Julio, Bowe, Royal, Gates). I figure a lot of teams will have week 7 issues, and if I weather that storm my later bye week issues are minor.

There are 1,065 more 18 man rosters this year than last year.

One guy I am really shocked about the low ownership on is Davone Bess. He was an instant add the moment I saw the pricing this year. I realize he is on a crappy passing offense but he is the #1 target of the passing game with nobody even close as a #2 target. He won't put up monster numbers in any game, but I can see a lot of games where he has something like 6 catches for 60 yards. In this PPR format, that is really useful as a bye week filler and as a guy who helps guarantee you get a certain minimum production each week.

Matthew Stafford $26

I think the one QB play is the right risk to take in this format.
Don't agree.

Matthew Stafford $26

I think the one QB play is the right risk to take in this format.
Don't agree.
:hifive:

One guy I am really shocked about the low ownership on is Davone Bess.

Not enough upside...to win you need guys that can throw up points in bundles...not guys that consistently get you 12 points.

There are 1,065 more 18 man rosters this year than last year.
There are 2,543 more entries this year than last year. Proportionately, there are about the same number of small rosters as there were in 2011. Slightly more, but not by much.

Not enough upside...to win you need guys that can throw up points in bundles...not guys that consistently get you 12 points.
Actually you need a combination of both. Sure, Bess (or Amendola) is not going to win you the contest in the playoff weeks. But guys like him can be very instrumental in making sure you make the cuts when you have guys on bye or your studs have an off week.

QB - Ryan $19 - Looking for stud #'s this season for mid-range price

QB - Flacco $11 - Back and forth here...Flacco should improve in the new offense.

Final iteration that beat out Ryan + Romo, Ryan + Locker + Tannehill, Ryan + Schaub. I was drooling over Ryan + Vick but they had the same bye week.

RB - McFadden $26 - Swinging for the fences...go big or go home

RB - Martin $21 - Workhorse behind a mauling OLine

RB - Wilson $9 - Serious upside potential

RB - Turbin $6 - See above (my last addition before the deadline)

RB - Mendenhall $4 - How did so many overlook this guy for only $4? Late-season stud

RB - Benson $3 - High floor for only $3

RB - Royster $3 - Potential upside...glad I don't have to predict which weeks to start him

RB - T. Jones $2 - Just in case

Two studs, with a couple breakout potential RBs and a couple of high-floor guys to fill in during byes and potential injuries.

WR - Julio $23 - Monster, and I couldn't nab him in any fantasy league

WR - Marshall $22 - Could easily catch 100+

WR - T. Smith $16 - Huge breakout potential

WR - Blackmon $7 - Solid floor with lots of targets coming

WR - Wright $6 - Upside, also wasn't able to nab him in any league

WR - Amendola $6 - PPR machine if he stays healthy

WR - St. Smith $5 - Solid floor with lots of catches

WR - Royal $2 - potential slot catches on the cheap

WRs win championships in this contest. Julio and Marshall can and should be my WR1 and WR2 every single week. Smith looks like a breakout waiting to happen. Blackmon, Wright, Amendola should all put up very solid #'s every week and fill in when necessary. Smith and Royal aren't really necessary but seemed like good value.

TE - Hernandez $23 - Should be my flex every single week

TE - Olsen $11 - Potential to be HUGE this season, love his upside in PPR

TE - Bennett $4 - Upside, just in case his breaks out

Absolutely love my TE's. Hernandez can carry my team from the TE or flex position. Olsen has serious potential, I love him this season. Bennett has a very small chance of making a very large contribution. Nice $4 sleeper.

K - Kaeding $4 - Could finish #1

K - Prater $3 - Some big weeks in Denver

K - Gould $3 - Solid

Could have easily left off Gould, but I'd hate for my two kickers to put up stinkers in the same week.

D - Pitt $5 - Always solid

D - Chiefs $3 - Upside with INT TDs

D - Redskins $3 - May have some huge weeks w/ Orakpo/Kerrigan

Same idea here. Pitt + Skins would have been fine, but I don't want to see any 2.00, 3.00 weeks late in the season.

Actually you need a combination of both. Sure, Bess (or Amendola) is not going to win you the contest in the playoff weeks. But guys like him can be very instrumental in making sure you make the cuts when you have guys on bye or your studs have an off week.
Yeah, I guess I don't put Amendola in the same bucket as Bess. Amendola is much more capable of a 30 point week IMHO.My safety WRs were Blackmon and Amendola...both of which I believe have decidedly more upside than a Davone Bess type player.