What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Schiano is a tool (1 Viewer)

It you win, you can be a huge tool. If you lose it gets you fired much more quickly. His mouth might get his seat hot sooner than expected.

He's a doosh, but even at 2-4 the Bucs are waaaaaaaaay better than they were last year. So I'll take it for now.

He's a doosh, but even at 2-4 the Bucs are waaaaaaaaay better than they were last year. So I'll take it for now.
:goodposting: Losing by 1 score is a big difference than losing by 4 scores. Not sure about Schiano yet, but he's in another league than Raheem. And weeding out the distractions was a great move.

Was there something new that happened with him? Haven't heard much about the Bucs game yet.

Was there something new that happened with him? Haven't heard much about the Bucs game yet.
He pulled some bush-league move where the D-Line shifted in unison and all called out the cadence at the same time to try and draw an offsides from the FG unit. Which is not legal in the NFL..Link

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
He pulled some bush-league move where the D-Line shifted in unison and all called out the cadence at the same time to try and draw an offsides from the FG unit. Which is not legal in the NFL..Link
Thanks for the link.

Wow. You'd think even if Schiano was that ignorant of the rules that someone else would have told him you can't do that. Unless he's created an environment where players and coaches fear speaking up even when it's for the good of the team.

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
He is pretty sure he knows the rule.

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

Wow. You'd think even if Schiano was that ignorant of the rules that someone else would have told him you can't do that. Unless he's created an environment where players and coaches fear speaking up even when it's for the good of the team.
He knows the rule, just ask him!

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

He knew the rule. Did it anyway.

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

That's actually a good question though. One would think SOMEONE in that organization had to know this rule. Why didn't one player or coach say "Ya know G.... we'll get a 15 yarder if we try that crap"

HOLY CRAP, HE BROKE A RULE!!!!

This is big news, guys. Let's jump all over this. True story: I once saw a player go out of bounds and then come back in bounds and catch the ball even though - get this part - even though he knew it was against the rules!!!!!

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

Whether it's a rule or not and whether Schiano was aware of the rule or not, it doesn't change the fact that he's a tool and it's a tool move, just like all his other "tactics" he's been pulling this year. He's probably already the laughing stock of all the coaches. A couple more of these calls that cost his team the game and he'll hopefully be sent back to college.

HOLY CRAP, HE BROKE A RULE!!!!This is big news, guys. Let's jump all over this. True story: I once saw a player go out of bounds and then come back in bounds and catch the ball even though - get this part - even though he knew it was against the rules!!!!!
That is a terrible comparison.

HOLY CRAP, HE BROKE A RULE!!!!This is big news, guys. Let's jump all over this. True story: I once saw a player go out of bounds and then come back in bounds and catch the ball even though - get this part - even though he knew it was against the rules!!!!!
analogy fail

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

Whether it's a rule or not and whether Schiano was aware of the rule or not, it doesn't change the fact that he's a tool and it's a tool move, just like all his other "tactics" he's been pulling this year. He's probably already the laughing stock of all the coaches. A couple more of these calls that cost his team the game and he'll hopefully be sent back to college.
:goodposting: Schiano keeps pulling these little bush league maneuvers. He really is a joke. Can't get back to the minors fast enough. He doesn't belong in the show.

:mellow:

Sorry, I don't see why this makes him a tool. :shrug:He might be a tool, but I don't get what this has to do with it. It might make him a bad coach, but that's different than being a tool.

Sorry, I don't see why this makes him a tool. :shrug:He might be a tool, but I don't get what this has to do with it. It might make him a bad coach, but that's different than being a tool.
This doesn't make him a tool, but he is a tool and this was a dumb thing that this particular tool did. Screaming at the ref about it and insisting he knows the rule when every ref on the field would contend he did not along with his other antics in the NFL and compounded by his antics at Rutgers all combine to make him a tool.

It's just bush league football. Similar to rushing the QB in victory formation, except this one is actually against the rules. There are reasons no other coaches in the NFL try to pull this kind of stuff. Win football games by winning football games, not pulling shady moves.

well his snarky response of him knowing the rule might contribute to his douchiness

This doesn't make him a tool, but he is a tool and this was a dumb thing that this particular tool did. Screaming at the ref about it and insisting he knows the rule when every ref on the field would contend he did not along with his other antics in the NFL and compounded by his antics at Rutgers all combine to make him a tool.
Hey, don't blame me for not reading anything and just assuming that everyone was saying he's a tool just because he shifted his DL and had them try to trick the offense into committing a penalty. I do my best to not fully read things. Usually a waste of time.

And if you're going to try it... a field goal is the play the refs are best in position to hear a defensive player try to simulate the snap count. Normally the closest refs to the line are pretty far back, the two behind the offense. On a field goal, you have two refs right up by the line of scrimmage making sure the defense doesn't line up over the center.

It's just bush league football. Similar to rushing the QB in victory formation, except this one is actually against the rules. There are reasons no other coaches in the NFL try to pull this kind of stuff. Win football games by winning football games, not pulling shady moves.
Yeah, I didn't really have a problem with that victory formation thing either.

I'm going to start a Greg Schiano Fan Club. Guy sounds like an innovator to me. All the greats were once referred to as tools.

Hey, don't blame me for not reading anything and just assuming that everyone was saying he's a tool just because he shifted his DL and had them try to trick the offense into committing a penalty. I do my best to not fully read things. Usually a waste of time.
I am not blaming youI am just saying it's a body of work that makes him a tool, this was just an example.And it is not that he broke a rule, like going out of bounds. He designed a play that was against the rules. He used it and cost his team at least 4 points in a game they ultimately lost by 7 (with the ball well inside field goal range when the game ended). HE yelled at a ref for calling the penalty, even though multiple refs all threw flags for the same thing, and then afterward gave a smart ### "I believe I know the rule" response to reporters about the situation

He has his team make a shift designed to make the other team flinch. He tells the refs before hand and they call a 15 yard penalty. He then says afterwards that "I believe I know that rule, and I'll leave it at that." If he knew the rule, why did he do it? Or is it that he thinks he knows the rule better than the refs? That is the toolish part.

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

Interesting. Article said refs were tipped off that they would do this, and that its a little enforced rule. How many other times have thy done this in 2012? I'd be interested in seeing if it worked then?

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

Interesting. Article said refs were tipped off that they would do this, and that its a little enforced rule. How many other times have thy done this in 2012? I'd be interested in seeing if it worked then?
how many other players have done it? I am sure a few. how many other teams have had the whole D-line do it in unison?

none

sometimes when you try and go too far outside the box the UPS truck runs you over.

And it is not that he broke a rule, like going out of bounds. He designed a play that was against the rules. He used it and cost his team at least 4 points in a game they ultimately lost by 7 (with the ball well inside field goal range when the game ended). HE yelled at a ref for calling the penalty, even though multiple refs all threw flags for the same thing, and then afterward gave a smart ### "I believe I know the rule" response to reporters about the situation
OK, just to play devil's advocate since I've dug myself a hole here...What about when the offense designs plays to try and get the defense to jump offside? Is that OK? Sometimes they even teach the QB to move his shoulders, head, or hands a lot to make it look like the ball is about to be snapped.As for his reaction, coaches do that stuff. Coaches yell at refs even if they know they are wrong and will keep a lie going about what they know and don't know. I don't know, maybe there are just a bunch of tools out there.

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

I remember the Redskins being called for imitating the snap several years ago. Can't remember which toolish coach it was, though. Maybe Gibbs.

And it is not that he broke a rule, like going out of bounds. He designed a play that was against the rules. He used it and cost his team at least 4 points in a game they ultimately lost by 7 (with the ball well inside field goal range when the game ended). HE yelled at a ref for calling the penalty, even though multiple refs all threw flags for the same thing, and then afterward gave a smart ### "I believe I know the rule" response to reporters about the situation
OK, just to play devil's advocate since I've dug myself a hole here...What about when the offense designs plays to try and get the defense to jump offside? Is that OK? Sometimes they even teach the QB to move his shoulders, head, or hands a lot to make it look like the ball is about to be snapped.As for his reaction, coaches do that stuff. Coaches yell at refs even if they know they are wrong and will keep a lie going about what they know and don't know. I don't know, maybe there are just a bunch of tools out there.
this was not some stealth thing, the entire line did it and every ref in sight flagged itIF he knew the rule he is even dumber than i thought. Instead of a long field goal the siants got a first down scored a TD and won the game by 7An analogy would be the jets running a play where Sanchez throws the ball forward to Tebow who throws the ball forward to a WR, then yelling when they flagged them for illegal forward pass and then Rex saying he knows the rule about only one forward pass. Even Rex, kind of the tools, would not do that.This was a play that had no chance of helping the Bucs and was guaranteed to help the Saints because it was so clearly against the rules. The rules which, according to Schiano, he knows.I hope he keeps doing this stuff, it is great TV

'unckeyherb said:
'Greg Russell said:
Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't give that statement any credence as worded without seeing something that supports it. "Little enforced" suggests refs catch it but don't flag it.I suspect he really meant "it isn't called frequently". And the reason probably is that it isn't committed frequently. Or if it is, it isn't caught.

You do see it called every once in awhile.

I'm going to start a Greg Schiano Fan Club. Guy sounds like an innovator to me. All the greats were once referred to as tools.
He's not an innovator. He's the tool pee wee football coach that tried the gatchetry and went out of his way to push the envelope on the rule book rather than trying to win with talent, X's, and O's. Or the guy who yelled 'look out' on a hard ground ball in Little League or 'swing' when a guy was batting. Just a general idiot. Also tries too hard to be different and have people think he's clever. He's probably already the most disliked head coach in foorball amongst his peers and I doubt he'll still be in the league in two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not an innovator. He's the tool pee wee football coach that tried the gatchetry and went out of his way to push the envelope on the rule book rather than trying to win with talent, X's, and O's. Or the guy who yelled 'look out' on a hard ground ball in Little League or 'swing' when a guy was batting. Just a general idiot. Also tries too hard to be different and have people think he's clever. He's probably already the most disliked head coach in foorball amongst his peers and I doubt he'll still be in the league in two years.
His only previous NFL coaching job was in the 1990's so he lacks any connections in the current NFL. His next job will be at the college level for sure.

I feel like I need to see this play.
Line Shift
:lmao: That's "The Shift"? Not much there.Doesn't matter because the shifting isn't the penalty. They yelled "HIKE" (or "HUT" or "OMAHA" or whatever). The yelling was the penalty. Now I really don't get the complaints about the shift. That was nothing.

Do we know that Schiano instructed his players to yell something? Or did he just design the shift? Maybe he was so mad because he didn't know somebody yelled?

Line Shift
:lmao: That's "The Shift"? Not much there.Doesn't matter because the shifting isn't the penalty. They yelled "HIKE" (or "HUT" or "OMAHA" or whatever). The yelling was the penalty. Now I really don't get the complaints about the shift. That was nothing.

Do we know that Schiano instructed his players to yell something? Or did he just design the shift? Maybe he was so mad because he didn't know somebody yelled?
Are you related to him or something? I guess I can understand some of your points, but you are blindly praising this guy and disputing the obvious facts.

Wanted to confirm if my impression it happens rarely is correct. Asked former Texans DT Seth Payne, in his experience how often D-linemen simulate the snap count to try to draw false starts. He said they'd call out defensive line shifts, but never called out actual cadence calls like the offense uses.

Line Shift

The home team was down 28-21 when a New Orleans drive, which began at their own 5-yard line, stalled on 3rd and 9 at Tampa Bay's 33. New Orleans was about to attempt a 50-yard field goal when the Bucs' defensive line abruptly shifted and, according to Saints players, shouted in unison. :shrug:

they all could have spontaneously decided to yell when shifting

Users who are viewing this thread