What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kyle Rudolph (1 Viewer)

Still considering him a boom/bust play but with ADP back and a slightly suspect WR corps I leaning towards Rudolph having a pretty big year.

Rotoworld:

Kyle Rudolph - TE - Vikings

ESPN’s Ben Goessling believes Kyle Rudolph’s connection with Teddy Bridgewater "seems to be growing."

Through two weeks, Rudolph has been targeted a team-high 13 times, ahead of Mike Wallace and Charles Johnson. Rudolph will always be touchdown dependent, but there's potential for him to post career-highs with a full year in Norv Turner’s offense. The Chargers have allowed touchdowns to tight ends in each of their first games. Rudolph is a low-end TE1 for Week 3.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 7:12 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Vikings reporter Ben Goessling believes Kyle Rudolph will continue to be a big part of the passing offense.

Rudolph has seen 19 total targets in two prime matchups the last two weeks after seeing just 19 total in the previous six games. The Seahawks also struggle against tight ends, so Rudolph should keep his role at least one more week if not longer. He is a low-end TE1 this week.

Source: ESPN

Dec 5 - 10:47 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
hooptd said:
Same here.  Having a hard time keeping Rudolph around some weeks.  He was very hard to start last season in the middle of the year.  He came on late, but just very hard to trust as your TE1 where you're sometimes just looking for 10 point consistency.  Pruitt got in a good bit for a rookie project TE too.  He is probably a couple years away, but seems to be grooming nice.  Saw an analytics guy's model where Pruitt had a better NFL projection than any '16 TE and was #1 in '15 also.  

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I don't always agree with the observations or articles I post. The data about how often they asked him to block is relevant, but I don't think Rudolph is going to do much better than he did last season. I think Norv Turner and the Vikings would like better TE play than they have gotten out of Rudolph who has been one excuse after another.

I am not buying this either. The data on the number of routes run to me is just another excuse, although semi-interesting at the same time.

I think Rudolph could be the 3rd most targeted Viking player in 2016 but that isn't much different than what he did last year.

FWIW I don't always agree with the observations or articles I post. The data about how often they asked him to block is relevant, but I don't think Rudolph is going to do much better than he did last season. I think Norv Turner and the Vikings would like better TE play than they have gotten out of Rudolph who has been one excuse after another.

I am not buying this either. The data on the number of routes run to me is just another excuse, although semi-interesting at the same time.

I think Rudolph could be the 3rd most targeted Viking player in 2016 but that isn't much different than what he did last year.
I think I agree. I own him in dynasty and hope every year that *this* is his year. But I think you're right. We've pretty much seen what we are going to see out of him.

I've got no Rudolph stock, but I think he's kind of an interesting player to watch. He's not my target TE2 in redraft (he's about 3rd or 4th down the list) but I could see him having a top 12 year despite an ADP around TE20.

That stat about routes run was pretty interesting. He played 847 out of Minnesota's 28th ranked 973 offensive snaps, so that means he ran 413 routes and was targeted on 17.6% of them. If they open things up a bit and run 1000 plays this year (still in the bottom 3rd of the league) and he's back to 55%, then that's 478 snaps and 84 targets. Not enough to get excited about, but if they are indeed opening up the offense then there should be a few more targets to go around in addition to him just running more routes.

Last year the 9th most targets by a TE was 103 to Kelce and the 10th was 85 to Richard Rodgers, so even 84 targets should put him near the top 12 in targets (FWIW, 12th in 2014 was 90 targets). He's still not my preferred backup, but I'll sleep well if I wait too long and end up with him. He's actually got a lot of upside, relatively, considering his ADP. Unless MIN drastically changes their offense (which I doubt since I think McKinnon will do fine if AP hits that old age wall or gets injured) he's got no shot at top 5, but he could squeak into the top 10 and will almost certainly outproduce his ADP.

Kyle Rudolph believes he's the best tight end in the NFL.
"Route running and catching balls, to many, is all that matters," Rudolph reasoned. "But it’s also (about) being one of the best blockers, one of the best pass protectors." Rudolph went on to say he believes fantasy football hurts his reputation. "The world revolves around fantasy football ... But I know that when I come to work every Monday, and I (watch) the film, I may have only caught two balls, but if I did my job in the run game and pass protection, (Vikings coach Mike Zimmer) is going to be happy." Rudolph is correct that no one will ever mistake his passing game numbers for elite. He's incorrect that his game is amongst the league's most well rounded. Pro Football Focus graded him as the league's No. 35 tight end in 2016. We'd say that sounds about right. Happy offseason.

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press 
Jun 23 - 5:15 PM

The best tight end in the league does not drop gift TD in the end zone that are thrown perfectly.

They run the right routes. They don't bauble receptions because of their lack of body control and adjustment to the ball. They don't deflect those passes to the defense.

So the takeaway for me, is that Kyle Rudolph is highly unlikely to have a front office job after his playing career ends.

value post bradford trade?
I personally think his value goes up with the Bradford trade. Bradford was getting into a rhythm with Ertz towards the end of last season--and I think he can do the same with Rudolph.  I could end up seeing Rudolph being a top tier TE2 with TE1 upside.  He'll be one of the better values at TE where he's getting drafted.  

jvdesigns2002 said:
I personally think his value goes up with the Bradford trade. Bradford was getting into a rhythm with Ertz towards the end of last season--and I think he can do the same with Rudolph.  I could end up seeing Rudolph being a top tier TE2 with TE1 upside.  He'll be one of the better values at TE where he's getting drafted.  
He hasn't gotten drafted in any leagues I've been in pre-Bradford.  Should be available in many leagues.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but in a year where other TEs are underperforming, he seems like a safe low end te1 bet

Doesn't matter, rudolph can't stay on the field

You're a year late on that comment since he was coming off 2 straight injury shortened seasons. He played all 16 last year making it 3 of 5 seasons where he's played in at least 15 games.

It's his targets that are the concern now and if the first 2 weeks are any indication, there is at least some reason to be optimistic.

Any thoughts on Rudolphs outlook this week with Diggs out?   He might have a few more targets coming his way--but the offense might  also not be as dynamic without Diggs.   I think he might get a slight bump in ppr formats this week. 

I could be wrong but I think Houston is tough against opposing TE. I have to start him this week but I'm not super excited about it. Hopefully he gets a TD to save his day is my thought.

I could be wrong but I think Houston is tough against opposing TE. I have to start him this week but I'm not super excited about it. Hopefully he gets a TD to save his day is my thought.
They are strong vs te.  But what else can MN do?

They can get in a defensive game and not move the ball well.
This may be a game MN actually loses if Houston can put any points up.  Wouldn't shock me to see MN def score points in this game though.  I don't think osweiler is ready for that def

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said Kyle Rudolph has improved his blocking this offseason.

Rudolph enjoyed a breakout season as a receiver last year (83 catches, 840 yards, seven touchdowns) but was among the worst blockers at his position. He was particularly inept as a run blocker, earning PFF's No. 58 grade among 65 qualifiers at tight end. Rudolph was already close to an every-down player but anything that will keep him on the field is good for fantasy owners.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Kyle Rudolph has fan in Vikings great Steve Jordan

Rudolph hasn't made me cuss as much this year for missed blocks as last year. He still is a weak blocker at times and fails his assignment, just not as much as he was last year. The rest of the offensive line playing well has been able to cover up some of Rudolphs mistakes and make them less costly as a part of that I suppose. Generally I think he has done a better job blocking this year, of course the bar was set very low there as he has been pretty bad at blocking most of his career.

It took awhile for Keenum and Rudolph to connect on the field. Rudolph had some drops and Keenum some poorly placed passes that Rudolph couldn't adjust to. They have cleaned that up a lot since the bye though and connecting much more consistently now. One of Keenums best throws this year was on a corner route to Rudolph that ended up a TD.

Rudolph helps the most in the red zone as he is such a big target there.

Rudolph has been producing well lately and I do believe his production is TD dependent. I have played him 3 weeks in a row, just gotta wonder about regression to the means and it's one of those 3-4 catches for 30-50 yards and no TD's? It just seems like the TD streak will eventually break. Is it this week against a decent TE D?

Rudolph has been producing well lately and I do believe his production is TD dependent. I have played him 3 weeks in a row, just gotta wonder about regression to the means and it's one of those 3-4 catches for 30-50 yards and no TD's? It just seems like the TD streak will eventually break. Is it this week against a decent TE D?
Was thinking the same, not sure if I made the right call but grabbed Burton hoping he could see a ceiling closer to Ertz. 

FWIW in reading about the Pathers defense this week I discovered that although they are a solid overall defense they haven't been that good at preventing scores in the red zone.

Meanwhile the Vikings have been doing a good job of converting TDs in the red zone over field goals. So Rudolph may find pay dirt again this week.

I expect the Vikings to struggle with running the ball this week so I think the receivers are going to have to do more. That goes out the window however if the Vikings defense can manage to score this week and build a lead.

Any news on Rudolph? He was in a walking boot after the game -- is he practicing, any word about his health?

May need to act on a TE, and with so many games THU and SAT, options can be limited.

For those in this boat who do we chase?

Burton?  Seem to utilize multi TE sets efficiently even with Ertz back could put up similar to what Rudolph has.

Lewis?  Hou is gifting points to TE and Fornette seems dinged. 

Njoku?  Ravens almost as generous with the TE position. 

Ugh.

Looking at choice between Vernon Davis, OJ Howard, Ben Watson, ASJ, and longer shots like Shaheen and the Niner's Celek.

Out of these, Davis seems to me to have the highest floor, with Howard and Shaheen a longer-shot upside?

Thoughts? Really wary that the way this is going to go is Rudolph starting but solely being used as a blocker given limitations.

Ugh.

Looking at choice between Vernon Davis, OJ Howard, Ben Watson, ASJ, and longer shots like Shaheen and the Niner's Celek.

Out of these, Davis seems to me to have the highest floor, with Howard and Shaheen a longer-shot upside?

Thoughts? Really wary that the way this is going to go is Rudolph starting but solely being used as a blocker given limitations.
Howard has been dominating snaps & touches. We know Davis’ floor is somewhere between zero and two based on the last 3 G. Shaheen has a nice matchup. 

David Morgan II? I think you have a chance to play the only UTSA player to ever make the NFL, you have to go for it. Unless you want the record setting TE from Ashland.

Howard has been dominating snaps & touches. We know Davis’ floor is somewhere between zero and two based on the last 3 G. Shaheen has a nice matchup. 

David Morgan II? I think you have a chance to play the only UTSA player to ever make the NFL, you have to go for it. Unless you want the record setting TE from Ashland.
Howard actually had a marked decrease in snaps last game though definitely is seeing his targets outshine Brate. Just worried about this being variable, and whether it's better to look at a TE without as much competition (Davis and Shaheen and even Watson fit that bill?).

This is the semis, and need to outscore my opponents position. Need to try and land the guy with the best shot at doing that as I don't think it will be Rudolph this week.

Howard actually had a marked decrease in snaps last game though definitely is seeing his targets outshine Brate. Just worried about this being variable, and whether it's better to look at a TE without as much competition (Davis and Shaheen and even Watson fit that bill?).

This is the semis, and need to outscore my opponents position. Need to try and land the guy with the best shot at doing that as I don't think it will be Rudolph this week.
Season high 78% WK14

Shaheen is a bit like RSJ; they’re using him in certain sets to take advantage of his catch radius, but Dion Sims (presumably a better blocker) is getting roughly 2/3rds of the snaps.

I dropped him after he was listed as out. Packers are the stingiest team in the league against the TE position, so I wouldn’t use him anyway next week. No point in rolling the dice with a guy who is clearly dinged up. Just my opinion. 

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Rudolph now declared out.

Do we think he'll rebound for Week 16 or should we drop for upside this week and next?
I don't think it looks good for Rudolph just reading the tea leaves of ZImmers comments about him.

Zimmer is deflecting too much when asked about Rudolphs health. To me it sounds like Rudolph is hurt pretty bad and Zimmer is just trying to act like its not a big deal, and not doing a very good job of it in my opinion.

If you only have two weeks left I think you cut Rudolph and pick up the best option you can to replace him. 

As a Vikings fan I would love to be wrong of course, but I'm not optimistic about Rudolph playing in week 16 right now. It seems like something where the Vikings may hope to get him back for the playoffs.

David Morgan should play a lot but he is more of a blocker and you should look elsewhere for a replacement. He may catch a few passes but he isn't really that good after the catch. His job is to block. The Vikings will be looking somewhere else in the red zone without Rudolph.

Okay Vikings homers and those with insights, I've read the posts with walking boot, ankle injury, not practicing, then ruled out, then ruled doubtful. Now he just got upgraded to questionable. So....

In the land of tough TE choices after the top 5-6 or so what are we doing with Rudolph? Too injured, too questionable, too risky of a play, or not?

Okay Vikings homers and those with insights, I've read the posts with walking boot, ankle injury, not practicing, then ruled out, then ruled doubtful. Now he just got upgraded to questionable. So....

In the land of tough TE choices after the top 5-6 or so what are we doing with Rudolph? Too injured, too questionable, too risky of a play, or not?
I have good news.

Michael Roberts is 0% owned.

Users who are viewing this thread