Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hipple, Long, Ware, & Peete

marijuana winning big at the polls. CO/MASS/wash pass

Looks like this isn't just for Colorado and Washington -- the feds are saying they're butting out of all the states where medical marijuana is legal. :thumbup:

What's the legal status in MD?

Effective in October we will have a very restricted form of medical marijuana treatment available. A 12-member medical commission will decide on a case by case basis which patients qualify for treatment from a recognized program. So basically no independent "clinics" in the near future.

Possession of less than 10 grams is a misdemeanor with a max fine of $500 and max incarceration of 90 days.

An interesting prediction I came across today:

John Kane, a federal judge in Colorado, said in December he sees marijuana following the same path as alcohol in the 1930s. Toward the end of Prohibition, Kane explained, judges routinely dismissed violations or levied fines so trivial that prosecutors quit filing cases.

"The law is simply going to die before it's repealed. It will just go into disuse," Kane said. "It's a cultural force, and you simply cannot legislate against a cultural force."

If the judges won't convict you, the cops won't arrest you. Opponents aren't even going to be aware that this has crept into the mainstream.

If the demand is so high, and if it cannot be shown that the harm caused far outweighs any benefits... you're fighting a losing battle. And the pot fight is a losing battle. Legalize it, license it, tax it, control it.... whatever... but don't criminalize it.

• Like 2

This wouldn't have happened under GW Bush. So YEAH Obama!!!!

This should be reported in Finless's stupid thread.

Says the dude with a stooges avatar. I'm all for the legalization of all drugs. War on drugs is the worst war ever...ridiculous. Now should Obama take the credit or should the people. We vote - they but out. There's definitely a combo here but I do give him credit for that. Hes still a serpent though. Probably allowed it to happen so his followers will have less brain cells than they already have. Eat some LSD then talk to me, Shemp.

This wouldn't have happened under GW Bush. So YEAH Obama!!!!

This should be reported in Finless's stupid thread.

Says the dude with a stooges avatar. I'm all for the legalization of all drugs. War on drugs is the worst war ever...ridiculous. Now should Obama take the credit or should the people. We vote - they but out. There's definitely a combo here but I do give him credit for that. Hes still a serpent though. Probably allowed it to happen so his followers will have less brain cells than they already have. Eat some LSD then talk to me, Shemp.

Is that you, Pasquino?

all this is fine and dandy but the real issue is employers testing for it, lets end that too.

It'll be interesting to see how my industry (construction) deals with this through the various stages of decriminalization/legalization.

all this is fine and dandy but the real issue is employers testing for it, lets end that too.

It'll be interesting to see how my industry (construction) deals with this through the various stages of decriminalization/legalization.

in michigan, the MUST program conisders you ineligible if you test positive for THC even with a medical marijuana card.

If you're getting high in Colorado you know the potency of the #### that coming out. It really is madness. The earwax, shatter, butane hash stuff. People don't even smoke herb because its only around 25% THC. Taking dabs...#### got me higher than the skag ever did. I can see why employers would test for it.

in michigan, the MUST program conisders you ineligible if you test positive for THC even with a medical marijuana card.

Has it been challenged yet?

If you're getting high in Colorado you know the potency of the #### that coming out. It really is madness. The earwax, shatter, butane hash stuff. People don't even smoke herb because its only around 25% THC. Taking dabs...#### got me higher than the skag ever did. I can see why employers would test for it.

Its pretty much the same everywhere nowadays. Its not like CO has access to genetics you can't get anywhere else (or better growers for that matter).

Holy ####, Fin... you're talking a foreign language to me here. Back when I was in the game, 3% - 4% THC was considered pretty good stuff. I guess times have really changed. If I were in high school now, I probably wouldn't still be alive by now... and I, like you, have had many, many friends die young. Wow... the game has changed lots since I was playing.

Has it been challenged yet?

The new law in Illinois specifically states that employers can still fire you over it. But you can't be brought up on child endangerment charges. Strange times.

My wife's doctor is already pushing the stuff. She has fibromyalgia in one of her shoulders, it had actually been somewhat better in recent years but she's laying off the weed since she's getting a job and now it's coming back. She had to visit the doctor for a checkup, conversation went like this.

Doctor: "You have any conditions?"

Wife: "My shoulder's been bothering me lately, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in the past and it seems to be flaring up"

Doctor: "We can get you something that will help with that"

Wife: "I don't really like taking a lot of medications though"

Doctor: "Well there's some new somewhat controversial options coming out in January".

Wife: "I don't know if I want to take anything new that hasn't been around for a while though either"

Doctor: "This has actually been around quite a while..."

Fybromyalgia is on the list of stuff they're allowing it for. So by the sounds of it, we're in.

Edited by DrJ
  • Like 1

It really doesn't get you any higher. It just does it a lot faster and with you ingesting a lot less of the harmful stuff. People are trending away from burning herb because it's harmful to your health and there's ways to get high while reducing that. And there will be even more and better ways once we fully legalize it.

Holy ####, Fin... you're talking a foreign language to me here. Back when I was in the game, 3% - 4% THC was considered pretty good stuff. I guess times have really changed. If I were in high school now, I probably wouldn't still be alive by now... and I, like you, have had many, many friends die young. Wow... the game has changed lots since I was playing.

It's simply people extracting the THC out of the plant and creating usable concentrates with it. Nice thing is that you can turn stuff that would otherwise be considered unusable (stems and leaves) into a premium concentrate. There will be all kinds of ways to do this stuff. Weed candy, e-weed (like e-cigarettes), you name it. I have a buddy trying to put together business plans off of this stuff, but I'm not sure how he's going to be able to pull it off.

The edibles out here are a great way to lose an afternoon. Cheeba Chews are one of my favorites and the edible gummies are pretty decent too.

I have a question for the CO and WA folks here. Is weed easily found if you're a tourist yet? Wife and I are considering vacation plans for this summer and just wondering whether an average guy with no connections or anything can just easily pick some legal pot up from the store, or if there's some sort of procedures that make that difficult.

I have a question for the CO and WA folks here. Is weed easily found if you're a tourist yet? Wife and I are considering vacation plans for this summer and just wondering whether an average guy with no connections or anything can just easily pick some legal pot up from the store, or if there's some sort of procedures that make that difficult.

Stores aren't open in Colorado yet. Should be after the first of the year.

According to this January.

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_24439065/more-than-100-recreational-marijuana-shops-line-open

Edited by Mile High

It should be as easy as walking into the store to buy a pack of cigarettes after January 1. I can update you when it all goes into effect in Colorado.

It should be as easy as walking into the store to buy a pack of cigarettes after January 1. I can update you when it all goes into effect in Colorado.

Holy christ. I'm getting goose bumps thinking about that.

• Like 1

Cool, keep us posted.

What are the implications in terms of federal laws when states legalize?
DOJ has essentially said that it will have a "hands off" approach to marijuana legalization, so long as the marijuana businesses are compliant with state law. DOJ has said that its marijuana enforcement priorities will be focused on things such as preventing distribution to minors, interstate shipping of marijuana, sales of marijuana by violent criminal enterprises and cartels, and the use and cultivation of marijuana on public federal lands. Edited by Buckfast 1

What are the implications in terms of federal laws when states legalize?

Robert Wood of Forbes has a pretty decent summary of the current situation. It's kind of a mess, especially since the IRS currently won't allow legal marijuana dealers to take any business deductions -- because their businesses are against federal law, essentially (that's some catch, that Catch 22). But the president has pretty much called off the shock troops in the states where they've liberalized the laws.

• Like 1

In order to solidify this approach nationwide we need to see the tax revenue start to roll in. In Maryland, it took FOREVER to get gambling legalized. Now that gambling provides over $0.5 billion per year in revenue to the state, there's basically no negative discussion at all. The same will be true for pot.

Holy christ. I'm getting goose bumps thinking about that.

I don't smoke, but it's nice to see progress. Very cool.

In order to solidify this approach nationwide we need to see the tax revenue start to roll in. In Maryland, it took FOREVER to get gambling legalized. Now that gambling provides over $0.5 billion per year in revenue to the state, there's basically no negative discussion at all. The same will be true for pot.

In the election yesterday, Colorado voters just approved a 15% excise tax on marijuana that will fund public school construction and a 10% special sales tax that will fund marijuana regulatory activities. The tax measures are expected to bring in an additional $70 million in tax revenue for the state. With so many states having serious budget issues that are negatively impacting public schools, I think that even traditionally conservative states will consider legalization of marijuana when they see Colorado public schools flourishing with the additional tax revenue.

In the election yesterday, Colorado voters just approved a 15% excise tax on marijuana that will fund public school construction and a 10% special sales tax that will fund marijuana regulatory activities. The tax measures are expected to bring in an additional $70 million in tax revenue for the state. With so many states having serious budget issues that are negatively impacting public schools, I think that even traditionally conservative states will consider legalization of marijuana when they see Colorado public schools flourishing with the additional tax revenue.

A true win-win. Brings a tear to me eye.

That's what we're talking about.

So just seven bucks a year on pot per capita?

That seems a bit low. 200 dollars an ounce today (medium quality, per priceofweed.com). Is the price supposed to drop in January?

Dumb question, where do they grow all this pot to sell in CO? Is it legal to grow it in the state? Is it all greenhouse stuff? I wouldn't think there was a climate to support it there? I realize it isn't the hardest plant to grow or anything.

That seems a bit low. 200 dollars an ounce today (medium quality, per priceofweed.com). Is the price supposed to drop in January?

I thought that the tax revenue estimate seemed a little low to me, but I guess there are plenty of people in the population that won't be buying any marijuana. I would not be surprised to see that tax revenue projection be exceeded, especially as more weed-lovers move to Colorado to enjoy the legal herb.

Dumb question, where do they grow all this pot to sell in CO? Is it legal to grow it in the state? Is it all greenhouse stuff? I wouldn't think there was a climate to support it there? I realize it isn't the hardest plant to grow or anything.

I'd imagine greenhouses. So much easier to control the environment that way. Every 3 months, you can have a new batch.

I thought that the tax revenue estimate seemed a little low to me, but I guess there are plenty of people in the population that won't be buying any marijuana. I would not be surprised to see that tax revenue projection be exceeded, especially as more weed-lovers move to Colorado to enjoy the legal herb.

my math is off, it's seventy bucks per capita. Still, I'd guess it would be a hot item with the tourists coming to ski and whatnot

How are you calculating that. There's 5M people in CO. If every man, woman and child smoked, that would would be $14 per capita per year. Obviously, it will be way less than that; let's say 100k. That puts it at $700 per capita per year. That's just the tax.

Colorado law requires that the marijuana be grown indoors. Most of the dispensaries have greenhouse or warehouse space that they grow in. About a half mile from my house, there is a dispensary that is connected to a warehouse where they grow everything in-house. You can smell the beautiful scent of the warehouse when you are driving by on the interstate.

Under the new Colorado law, you are allowed to grow up to six plants per person in your home if you are over 21.

Edited by Buckfast 1

How are you calculating that. There's 5M people in CO. If every man, woman and child smoked, that would would be $14 per capita per year. Obviously, it will be way less than that; let's say 100k. That puts it at $700 per capita per year. That's just the tax.

25% tax (could actually be 26.5 if the sales tax goes on top of the excise tax) gives 70 million, so total revenue after sales tax should be 350 million, divided by five, gives seventy a head, give or take a few

Several cities in Colorado added taxes as well last night - most in the 3-6% range. I'm hoping it doesn't get out of hand as a panacea for state/city coffers - and then we are back to black market sales.

All of those taxes combined are likely to amount to a hefty chunk of the retail price. For instance, if an eighth of an ounce of marijuana - a common purchase unit that is roughly equivalent to a 12-pack of beer - costs $30 at the retail level and $15 at the wholesale level, state taxes alone would be about $6, or around 20 percent.

Some areas - such as Boulder, Carbondale and Manitou Springs - will have tax rates on marijuana that exceed 30 percent, according to a Denver Post analysis. In Denver, the rate will be nearly 29 percent, or $8.59, on that $30 eighth of an ounce of pot.

Opponents of the tax say that's too pricey and will lead people to continue buying marijuana from black-market dealers. Proponents said marijuana consumers would gladly pay extra for legitimacy.

Read more: Colorado voters approve new taxes on recreational marijuana - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24462839/colorado-voters-approve-new-taxes-recreational-marijuana#ixzz2jtmoFt69
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content:
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
Edited by ffldrew

Several cities in Colorado added taxes as well last night - most in the 3-6% range. I'm hoping it doesn't get out of hand as a panacea for state/city coffers - and then we are back to black market sales.

All of those taxes combined are likely to amount to a hefty chunk of the retail price. For instance, if an eighth of an ounce of marijuana - a common purchase unit that is roughly equivalent to a 12-pack of beer - costs $30 at the retail level and $15 at the wholesale level, state taxes alone would be about $6, or around 20 percent.

Some areas - such as Boulder, Carbondale and Manitou Springs - will have tax rates on marijuana that exceed 30 percent, according to a Denver Post analysis. In Denver, the rate will be nearly 29 percent, or $8.59, on that $30 eighth of an ounce of pot.

Opponents of the tax say that's too pricey and will lead people to continue buying marijuana from black-market dealers. Proponents said marijuana consumers would gladly pay extra for legitimacy.

Read more: Colorado voters approve new taxes on recreational marijuana - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_24462839/colorado-voters-approve-new-taxes-recreational-marijuana#ixzz2jtmoFt69

That was going to happen anyway.

Does anyone have an idea what it actually costs to produce the stuff? Since it has to be planted indoors I take it the electricity will be a large part of the operations cost. How will the state determine on street level what pot is homegrown and what has been smuggled in?

That was going to happen anyway.

Does anyone have an idea what it actually costs to produce the stuff? Since it has to be planted indoors I take it the electricity will be a large part of the operations cost. How will the state determine on street level what pot is homegrown and what has been smuggled in?

I'm not sure what the exact financials are for growers, but I think electricity and rent/mortgage are the major expenses. I don't think it is that tough to turn a profit from growing after you cover the initial start-up costs.

I don't think the state will be involved in trying to determine the origins of a particular stash of marijuana. If it is in your possession in Colorado, then it is legal. In any event, there really is no market for smuggled marijuana in Colorado. Low-grade Mexican brick weed is nearly worthless in Colorado because it is competing against high-grade medical marijuana cultivated in ideal indoor growing conditions. Local gangs and cartels have largely given up trying to distribute marijuana in Colorado because the competition from legal dispensaries is too fierce and the dispensaries' product is generally far higher quality. That's another great benefit of legalization, as it effectively excludes violent gangs and drug cartels from being able to make money off of marijuana.

I'd imagine greenhouses. So much easier to control the environment that way. Every 3 months, you can have a new batch.

If you have separate veg and flower rooms, you can harvest every 45-60 days with some strains.

ETA: In CO, people 21+ years old can grow up to 6 plants. If you grow outside, it can't be visable from street.

Edited by Wingnut

If you have separate veg and flower rooms, you can harvest every 45-60 days with some strains.

ETA: In CO, people 21+ years old can grow up to 6 plants. If you grow outside, it can't be visable from street.

Yup. The legal home growing really appeals to me. I've done some myself and after your initial setup, costs are minimal for personal consumption. Are they going to be selling seeds as well or possibly clones?

Yup. The legal home growing really appeals to me. I've done some myself and after your initial setup, costs are minimal for personal consumption. Are they going to be selling seeds as well or possibly clones?

You can buy seeds and clones of top strains at most dispensaries. There are also lots of hydroponic grow stores all over Denver where they are eager to help you get a grow operation up and running.

You can buy seeds and clones of top strains at most dispensaries. There are also lots of hydroponic grow stores all over Denver where they are eager to help you get a grow operation up and running.

Nice