What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (5 Viewers)

He nearly matched Brown for me tonight. That's good enough.

Well ####. Garbage time ####ed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude is always underrated but people still don't buy in. Hard to understand.
People see him as poor man's Welker, no huge upside. As good as he will ever be, it's not a top 5 WR. Not enough big plays or TDs.

I think most people who won fantasy championships with Welker did it when he was coming off injury and happened to have a career year, not paying full price.

Brady always tears up Pitt. I'm not so sure he's gonna get that many targets every game, especially with Blount back.

However, he is still underrated and should have a great year. I think 100+ but not 120 catches.

Edelman is going to have some huge games and some down games....It all depends on the match ups. It's the Patriot way....They don't force it to anyone. They take what the defense is giving them.

I think he was appropriately priced (mid-range WR2) this year because his realistic ceiling is high-end WR2 (PPR); something similar to 2013. When grabbing WRs early, I tend to target guys who I think have a real shot at WR1 production and he's not one of them. I guess he's a great type of player to grab if you're looking to mitigate some variance.

Personally, instead of Edelman I'd rather wait on someone like Kendall Wright who I think has an extremely similar, albeit lower ceiling (90-100/1000/4-6) yet is also essentially free.

Edelman is going to have some huge games and some down games....It all depends on the match ups. It's the Patriot way....They don't force it to anyone. They take what the defense is giving them.
And with teams figuring out (unsuccessfully) how to cover Gronk, he's going to be open most of the time.

Yeah, it's kind of same thing that happened with Welker and Hines Ward and to a lesser extent Harrison once Wayne emerged. I really wanted him as my WR2 and got in most mocks just didn't work out. If he's healthy he's 115-120 easy so ppr he's great. I just think he's only a 4-5 TD guy but will be as steady as they come in your WR2 slot in ppr. Plus, you can get Amendola as a ww handcuff.

I sold him this offseason. Like him a lot especially in PPR, but don't expect him to hold up physically. He will get a concussion at some point this season, just like he did in the Super Bowl.

I think he was appropriately priced (mid-range WR2) this year because his realistic ceiling is high-end WR2 (PPR); something similar to 2013. When grabbing WRs early, I tend to target guys who I think have a real shot at WR1 production and he's not one of them. I guess he's a great type of player to grab if you're looking to mitigate some variance.

Personally, instead of Edelman I'd rather wait on someone like Kendall Wright who I think has an extremely similar, albeit lower ceiling (90-100/1000/4-6) yet is also essentially free.
He's going as wr 20 before last night. He'll finish well ahead of that. Great value. I can't think of many guys I'd rather have less than Wright. You lost me there.

:confused:

Last year was the first year he was even remotely draftable. (Emerged as a starter partway through the previous season, after a career of utter irrelevance.) He rewarded those who gambled on him by putting up worse numbers in every category, for an ultimately mediocre campaign as a bottom-end WR2. For this, he's been rewarded by having his draft stock rise beyond his production because people like little white receivers to an irrational degree.

This is underrated? If anything, he's overrated. But by all means, buy high after a night when he didn't have to play against any professional defenders. :shrug:

You're not underrated when you're being drafted at your ceiling. This is just guppy overreaction to a shiny week one statline.

It's amazing that teams know Brady's going to do that 2 step drop and short pass it to Edelman yet no one can stop it. He is so slippery at the line of scrimmage and he is impossible to cover on those routes.

He is a tough little SOB for sure and works well with Brady. Injury is the only thing that stops him from being a weekly starter.

Let's not get to fired up yet. I'm not going to expect this performance every week. We all knew that the Steeler secondary was suspect and now we have a data point that he can exploit the subpar Steeler secondary.

I will feel comfortable after he faces a more challenging secondary, plus his value is not only dependent on his own health but the health of Gronk. So I think there is some risk there.

hmmm. Just like Welker, this guy will catch way over 100 balls, so that means they will go to him and go to him and go to him when they are not throwing to Gronk or one of their RBs. That is the make up of this team offensively. If I was a defensive coordinator I would punish Edelman at the line, really get physical with him before he can slip away, then have another DB shadowing him after that. I would then double Gronk and hardly worry about whoever the other WR is. You also have to be able to rush Brady up the middle.

I live in constant fear that his playstyle - more aggressive than Welker ever was, is gonna cost him game time.

Survive Jules, plz :scared:

Edelman will catch 100 balls. No need for all the hyperbole. If 100 receptions, 1000 yards and 5 TD's looks good to you, get him on your roster. If not, no need to trash him.
People are trashing him yet people refuse to look at his stats. Including the playoffs (real life not fantasy) Edelman has put up phenomenal numbers from week 6 and after. He had 2 down games through 12 games and he didn't play week 16 or 17 to stay/get heathy for the postseason. He isn't flashy and won't ever put up 170+ yards and 2 tads but in ppr he is a low wr1 very high wr2 with the potential to be a dominant wr1 if they feed him the ball this consistently. Gronk will always get double coverage and once chandler learns the offense better and he is in more often they will soon have to double him or atlas shadow him which will open edelman even more for his quick screens. I can easily see him getting 110-120 catches this year but i can also see him getting injured with a concussion sooner or later so i won't be surprised if he does.

Let's not get to fired up yet. I'm not going to expect this performance every week. We all knew that the Steeler secondary was suspect and now we have a data point that he can exploit the subpar Steeler secondary.

I will feel comfortable after he faces a more challenging secondary, plus his value is not only dependent on his own health but the health of Gronk. So I think there is some risk there.
The last game he played prior to last night he put up 9/109/1 against the #1 rated defense, including the best secondary in the game. Feel comfortable yet? ;)

His production will be game plan dependent, but unless he gets hurt, he is going to produce solid numbers.

I didn't like the way my draft was going regarding my WR's in a recent re-draft and the owner that took Edelman said "I don't even like this pick" so mid-draft I offered Ellington (I already had Forsett and Gore) and Martellus for Edelman and Ertz. I had Julio and John Brown at WR only so I was pretty pumped to pull that off before the 7th round was over. Really excited now.

He was targeted twice in the end zone, one was an overthrow. I think he's good for 8 scores this year.
Yeah i like that projection. He should have had that one somewhat deep on the left sideline if his right arm wasn't being held . would have been nice but it is what it is :shrug:

What do teams need to do to shut him down and still be able to cover Gronk? The only thing I can think of is to beat him up at the line and pressure Brady up the middle, which is very difficult because of Brady's ability to side step very well. He's not very mobile but he is very smart in the pocket. If you let Edelman beat you off the line he can't be covered in the short passing game that NE has.

If the Pats run him out of a trips formation and Brady gets rid of the ball in two seconds, not sure how anyone will be able to stop him (or whomever they use as the primary target on those types of plays).

If the Pats run him out of a trips formation and Brady gets rid of the ball in two seconds, not sure how anyone will be able to stop him (or whomever they use as the primary target on those types of plays).
If teams don't beat up Edelman at the line then they must give him huge hits after the catch. Someone needs to freelance the short areas where Brady makes his bread and butter and make the WRs suffer, even if it means a few unsportsmanlike penalties. Teams simply can't let NE dink and dunk all day long without making them pay for it with pain.

If teams don't beat up Edelman at the line then they must give him huge hits after the catch. Someone needs to freelance the short areas where Brady makes his bread and butter and make the WRs suffer, even if it means a few unsportsmanlike penalties. Teams simply can't let NE dink and dunk all day long without making them pay for it with pain.
Totally sounds like a legit strategy and not angleshooting worthy of an investigation.

#Badgate

Totally sounds like a legit strategy and not angleshooting worthy of an investigation.

#Badgate
Seems like he still can't get over that ### beating colts got by the patriots. And by the way if you haven't watched big hits actually get edelman more amped up. Watch how he plays and how much he talks. He is a very physical wr even though his size isn't big.

He's going to continue to catch 6-10 balls per game regardless of the opponent or the scheme.

The routes he's running, there really isn't anyone who can cover him. This is a perfect fit for 38-year old Tom Brady, who can't throw the deep ball anymore.

#Badgate
Seems like he still can't get over that ### beating colts got by the patriots. And by the way if you haven't watched big hits actually get edelman more amped up. Watch how he plays and how much he talks. He is a very physical wr even though his size isn't big.
Dude, I'm just throwing out there what does it take to slow Brady's dink and dunk to Edelman? It has nothing to do with my feelings about last year's AFC Championship game. Some of you Patriots fans can't even discuss football strategy without getting defensive...geesh!!

#Badgate
Dude, I'm just throwing out there what does it take to slow Brady's dink and dunk to Edelman? It has nothing to do with my feelings about last year's AFC Championship game. Some of you Patriots fans can't even discuss football strategy without getting defensive...geesh!!
Whats hilarious is I'm not even a patriots fan I'm an eagles fan i live in philly. You just seemed very touchy on the topic

#Badgate
Whats hilarious is I'm not even a patriots fan I'm an eagles fan i live in philly. You just seemed very touchy on the topic
Hey, I'm just discussing Edelman and how to stop him, you're the one who is touchy with the statement "he still can't get over that beating colts got by the patriots", which sounds like defensive comments to me.

#Badgate
Hey, I'm just discussing Edelman and how to stop him, you're the one who is touchy with the statement "he still can't get over that beating colts got by the patriots", which sounds like defensive comments to me.
You telling me that statement right there wasn't out of spite of you getting your ### beat in the AFC game and still probably mad about deflate gate and think that actually caused a difference. I like the patriots just because brady and how he is the greatest qb to play the game and i get to watch him as a fan but i am a diehard eagles fan. And my statement wasn't defensive it was a commical statement because no matter what you say i can see through you and see you are still sour over the loss.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's going as wr 20 before last night. He'll finish well ahead of that. Great value. I can't think of many guys I'd rather have less than Wright. You lost me there.
He'll finish well ahead of that? So your'e projecting him as a WR1?

As for Wright, in that same year (2013) where Edelman finished WR14 (105/1056/6) Wright finished WR20 (94/1072/2). They share near identical measurables and they serve the same function in their respective offense. Wright has shown the ability to post similar numbers as Edelman but is basically free; his ADP was priced below his floor.

#Badgate
You telling me that statement right there wasn't out of spite of you getting your ### beat in the AFC game and still probably mad about deflate gate and think that actually caused a difference. I like the patriots just because brady and how he is the greatest qb to play the game and i get to watch him as a fan but i am a diehard eagles fan. And my statement wasn't defensive it was a commical statement because no matter what you say i can see through you and see you are still sour over the loss.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You are wrong, go away

Alright kids, let's keep this on topic please.
Great idea !!! So, what do teams have to do to stop the dink and dunk show with Edelman? Or is it impossible because of Brady? Scheme? Edelman? Combination? Is it solvable?

How do you stop new England? You have to make Brady beat you with deep passes. Make him be accurate with long passes. Does that mean press man with only a single high safety? Then they run their pick plays to get open against press man. Is an aggressive cover 3 mixed with cover 1 the best bet? That way maybe you can step in and pick off some of these quick flat possesses to edelman? You really need a safety or lb that can run with gronk

Commit a second defender to either the flat or middle of the field. Commit and undercut balls.

How you do this without Brady shredding you is a whole other question.

How do you stop new England? You have to make Brady beat you with deep passes. Make him be accurate with long passes. Does that mean press man with only a single high safety? Then they run their pick plays to get open against press man. Is an aggressive cover 3 mixed with cover 1 the best bet? That way maybe you can step in and pick off some of these quick flat possesses to edelman? You really need a safety or lb that can run with gronk
You need a strong Dline rush too. Brady is at his worst when he is nervous about getting hit. All the times he struggles it usually starts from up front where is online is getting dominated.

That's the key right there.

You need a strong Dline rush too. Brady is at his worst when he is nervous about getting hit. All the times he struggles it usually starts from up front where is online is getting dominated.
I can see that. A good quick interior rush to push him off his spot in pocket. Tough to get home though against a 2 step drop and throw

I can see that. A good quick interior rush to push him off his spot in pocket. Tough to get home though against a 2 step drop and throw
I think it's probably futile to try and beat NE with the rush. Yes, sometimes you will disrupt Brady but with a 2 step drop he's going to beat you more than you're going to sack or even disrupt him. I think the best bet is to do what you said about making Brady beat you with the deep passes. If you don't, he will dink and dunk you all night long. I guess the best way to do that is to have extra bodies in the areas Edelman likes to operate over the middle, or just outside of the hash marks. I'm not a coach, nor do I pretend to understand defensive strategy, but one thing I am certain about and that is teams must figure out a way to make Brady beat them deep. It's not that Brady can't throw deep, he can, but I don't think they have the WRs to beat teams deep consistently if they can solve Gronk with a safety or LB that can actually stay with him one on one. That's obviously easier said than done.

Edited to add: The Giants used to have a recipe for beating the Pats and it DID involve a pass rush, but it seems to me Brady is throwing shorter and quicker now than back then. I'm not sure that is correct however.

JohnnyU said:
ponchsox said:
Alright kids, let's keep this on topic please.
Great idea !!! So, what do teams have to do to stop the dink and dunk show with Edelman? Or is it impossible because of Brady? Scheme? Edelman? Combination? Is it solvable?
It really hasn't been solvable for a decade. Some small instances of success, but you need a great pash rush, primarily up the middle, and everyone within 10 yards of the LOS. If the line holds, that defensive scheme is ripe for getting gashed down the seams by the TEs, and Edelman/Lafell/Amendola are good enough to get over the top if the DBs cheat up.

It's a combination of scheme and QB ( but mostly QB, IMO ) To effectively run what the Pats do, you need a strong presnap read, quick recognition by both the QB and Receiver, a quick release and accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread