Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Aaron Rudnicki

CPAP machines

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just starting down this path.  Got my sleep study results and I apparently have severe sleep apnea, averaging 43 episodes or whatever they're called per hour.  I've been referred to get a CPAP, so now I'm just waiting until I get called for a fitting.  I'm crossing my fingers that  can use one of the less intrusive ones that only go over your nose.

1 hour ago, PlayaHata said:

Just starting down this path.  Got my sleep study results and I apparently have severe sleep apnea, averaging 43 episodes or whatever they're called per hour.  I've been referred to get a CPAP, so now I'm just waiting until I get called for a fitting.  I'm crossing my fingers that  can use one of the less intrusive ones that only go over your nose.

I think it depends on the pressure prescribed, where lower pressure will allow the nose apparatus.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:28 PM, PlayaHata said:

Same here...actually first night with the CPAP last night...and it sucked.

I couldn't use the nose pillow thing so I have one that is just over the nose, but still a pretty hefty strapping system.  My issue was the pressure on exhale...am adjusting some settings for tonight.  May have to go to the full mouth/nose mask as I have recurring sinus issues...but they wanted to see on this mask first.

48 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

I couldn't use the nose pillow thing so I have one that is just over the nose, but still a pretty hefty strapping system.  My issue was the pressure on exhale...am adjusting some settings for tonight.  May have to go to the full mouth/nose mask as I have recurring sinus issues...but they wanted to see on this mask first.

make sure you have your machine set to 'ramp up' 

ramp up is a very low-to-no pressure setting for the 1st 1/2 hour or so that gives you time to fall asleep. With the mask on full pressure right away, I found myself focusing on the air blowing in my mouth and not falling asleep. Once you are out, it kicks into high gear. 

Also, I got a cheap pair of wireless earbuds and the Calm app on my phone and listen to a soft sleep story...puts me right out. I use to watch TV until I fell asleep but cant anymore with the mask, too cumbersome. 

42 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

make sure you have your machine set to 'ramp up' 

ramp up is a very low-to-no pressure setting for the 1st 1/2 hour or so that gives you time to fall asleep. With the mask on full pressure right away, I found myself focusing on the air blowing in my mouth and not falling asleep. Once you are out, it kicks into high gear. 

Also, I got a cheap pair of wireless earbuds and the Calm app on my phone and listen to a soft sleep story...puts me right out. I use to watch TV until I fell asleep but cant anymore with the mask, too cumbersome. 

Yeah...that is the setting I have changed now.  Im at a pretty low starting setting so the supplier thought I may be ok without it...but after last night...I am setting it to give me a half hour first.

I may try the earbuds at some point too.  

15 hours ago, sho nuff said:

A lot of people think they will hate the full facemask, but end up loving it. Depending on the model you get, some just find it much more spacious to take big gulps of air from. Doesn't feel as restrictive.

And is the "hefty strapping system" a chinstrap? Those things generally A) suck, and/or B) mostly don't really work.

13 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Yeah...that is the setting I have changed now.  Im at a pretty low starting setting so the supplier thought I may be ok without it...but after last night...I am setting it to give me a half hour first.

I may try the earbuds at some point too.  

Do you know what your flex setting is at? That could also help your exhale issues.

8 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

Do you know what your flex setting is at? That could also help your exhale issues.

Not sure anything about a flex setting on this thing...its not in my actual options and settings I have available to me.  Maybe something my doc can adjust?  Its a ResMed Airsense10...I don't see that anywhere in the stuff I was told or was given to me.

I still think the thread title is "CRAP Machines" every time I see it pop up......

Got fitted for my implant today. Should arrive in 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Not sure anything about a flex setting on this thing...its not in my actual options and settings I have available to me.  Maybe something my doc can adjust?  Its a ResMed Airsense10...I don't see that anywhere in the stuff I was told or was given to me.

Yeah a flex is a pretty standard feature these days, so it should be something your doc can adjust. All a flex does (it typically has 3 different levels) is it senses your exhale, and the pressure very gently (much lighter than a full BiPAP) drops the pressure so you can breathe out easier, usually will drop the pressure anywhere from 1-3 cms/h2o briefly. It's subtle, but most people I've worked with find it useful.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Got my dental appliance yesterday and wore last night.  My expectations were pretty low about it, but I really had nothing to lose. Holy crap. I'm blown away at how good I feel this morning after barely 6 hours of sleep.  I feel like I slept 24 hours. Amazing. This is really one of the best days of my life. 

Edited by flapgreen
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Got my dental appliance yesterday and wore last night.  My expectations were pretty low about it, but I really had nothing to lose. Holy crap. I'm blown away at how good I feel this morning after barely 6 hours of sleep.  I feel like I slept 24 hours. Amazing. This is really one of the best days of my life. 

Going to look into this.

My CPAP not going well

Anyone have any experience with using a CPAP while on the road, like sleeping in your vehicle?

I was very worried three days ago.  I woke up, turned my cpap off, and noticed some odd lights.  Didn't think much of it.  Then, that night when I went to turn it on, it didn't work.  I tried everything.  I thought I was going to have to spend hundreds of dollars on a new one, go through the whole insurance thing, possible new sleep study, etc.  Then I did a little research.  It turns out the power adapter for them can go bad.  Who knew?  So I bought a new one for 20$ on Amazon, tried it last night, and it worked again.  Crisis averted.

So if that ever happens to any of you, think back to this post and try it out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Copeman said:

I was very worried three days ago.  I woke up, turned my cpap off, and noticed some odd lights.  Didn't think much of it.  Then, that night when I went to turn it on, it didn't work.  I tried everything.  I thought I was going to have to spend hundreds of dollars on a new one, go through the whole insurance thing, possible new sleep study, etc.  Then I did a little research.  It turns out the power adapter for them can go bad.  Who knew?  So I bought a new one for 20$ on Amazon, tried it last night, and it worked again.  Crisis averted.

So if that ever happens to any of you, think back to this post and try it out.

What machine do you have?

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What machine do you have?

Resmed s series

3 hours ago, belljr said:

Going to look into this.

My CPAP not going well

Do it. Tried mine for 3 years with only slight success. Last night was amazing for me

New CPAP user question.

If you travel with your CPAP, how to do handle getting distilled water for the humidifier?  I imagine they don't carry it at convenience stores?

4 hours ago, flapgreen said:

How sore is your jaw though?

10 minutes ago, PlayaHata said:

New CPAP user question.

If you travel with your CPAP, how to do handle getting distilled water for the humidifier?  I imagine they don't carry it at convenience stores?

You can use regular bottled water for a couple days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

How sore is your jaw though?

None at the moment.   Supposed to change the resistance bands every 4 days to my tolerance until I feel at my best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

Do it. Tried mine for 3 years with only slight success. Last night was amazing for me

If you dont mind me asking

Price?

Insurance cover anything?

Can you sleep side/front?

1 minute ago, belljr said:

If you dont mind me asking

Price?

Insurance cover anything?

Can you sleep side/front?

After insurance, it cost us around 1200 out of pocket.  You can sleep in any position. 

Just now, flapgreen said:

After insurance, it cost us around 1200 out of pocket.  You can sleep in any position. 

in THANK YOU.

That was about the price I was quoted before

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

I dont think I can use these b/c my front 2 teeth are implants, long story got knocked out as a kid....but was that ever discussed or asked when you were researching it? 

32 minutes ago, belljr said:

in THANK YOU.

That was about the price I was quoted before

If it ends up working, I'd pay 10x that for it. 

4 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I dont think I can use these b/c my front 2 teeth are implants, long story got knocked out as a kid....but was that ever discussed or asked when you were researching it? 

Every tooth in my mouth is crowned. I'd talk to the doctor near you who does it, but I don't think that affects it. 

26 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

If it ends up working, I'd pay 10x that for it. 

its funny i was given the option right away and was like meh .... sounds awful

Now I wish I did more research lol

Just made an appointment for the end of the month...  Not sure how it will work with my insurance etc

2 minutes ago, belljr said:

its funny i was given the option right away and was like meh .... sounds awful

Now I wish I did more research lol

Just made an appointment for the end of the month...  Not sure how it will work with my insurance etc

Had my machine for over 3 years and never even knew it was an option.  Crazy but I heard an advertisement on local talk radio about a year ago about it and still thought it was probably some type of scam. Finally, I just thought what do I I have to lose and called. 

32 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Every tooth in my mouth is crowned. I'd talk to the doctor near you who does it, but I don't think that affects it. 

interesting..TY can you send me more info about the type of unit you have or the description of it. PM is fine if you don't want to do it here. I'd love to ditch my machine

2 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Had my machine for over 3 years and never even knew it was an option.  Crazy but I heard an advertisement on local talk radio about a year ago about it and still thought it was probably some type of scam. Finally, I just thought what do I I have to lose and called. 

Nice. I have to go back to my sleep doc first so she can push it through etc 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

interesting..TY can you send me more info about the type of unit you have or the description of it. PM is fine if you don't want to do it here. I'd love to ditch my machine

It's called a dikfour

40 minutes ago, belljr said:

It's called a dikfour

whats a dikfour? 😂

I've been waking up a lot recently in the middle of the night with my mouth completely dry.  Like I can barely swallow.  I'm assuming that I'm still opening my mouth a little and the air is escaping from there?  

Any thoughts?

Just had my sleep study last night, 42.6 on the scale.  O2 levels dropping into low 80s/high 70s.  Went ahead and fitted me for a CPAP and I was able to sleep with it.  They said it cut out the snoring and my O2 levels stayed around 95.  This just fit over my nose and I will be fitted for the real one next week.  She told me to consider a full mask because apparently if you have sinus issues a lot you can't use just the nose one.  

Any recommendation on brands or nose vs full mask?

9 hours ago, Corporation said:

Just had my sleep study last night, 42.6 on the scale.  O2 levels dropping into low 80s/high 70s.  Went ahead and fitted me for a CPAP and I was able to sleep with it.  They said it cut out the snoring and my O2 levels stayed around 95.  This just fit over my nose and I will be fitted for the real one next week.  She told me to consider a full mask because apparently if you have sinus issues a lot you can't use just the nose one.  

Any recommendation on brands or nose vs full mask?

I too have sinus issues and they have started me in the just over the nose type.  So far its been mixed results.  It was mostly getting easier.  Then with the storms here...no power for several nights i didnt have it.  Getting back acclimated to it plus having been out in the clean up my allergies and sinus issues have made it a pain the past two nights.  Taking a break today from being outside too much with cleaning out our own fridge while its empty...I’ll evaluate at my docs appointment in a month.

• Thanks 1

2nd night with the implant and still going well. I can tell I'll need the stronger straps in a couple days but won't rush it. Don't want to irritate my jaw. 

On 3/6/2020 at 8:10 AM, flapgreen said:

What is this Dental appliance you speak of?

41 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

What is this Dental appliance you speak of?

It's just an oral appliance. I had to go to a doctor/dentist that specialized in sleep and TMJ disorders here. They do an exam, have you do a home sleep study, and then fit you with one if you're a good candidate.  The first two nights have been amazing for me. 

2 hours ago, flapgreen said:

It's just an oral appliance. I had to go to a doctor/dentist that specialized in sleep and TMJ disorders here. They do an exam, have you do a home sleep study, and then fit you with one if you're a good candidate.  The first two nights have been amazing for me. 

Is it like a mouth guard?

Couple questions...just over a month in and things are going ok.  Resmed Airsense 10...with the N20 nasal mask.

I find I have some seal issues when I sleep on my side a lot.  Which is normal for me to sleep that way.  Anybody a side sleeper with a different mask that works better for that?  Calling my supplier today...my sleep doc takes the stance on the mask being whatever feels the most comfortable and allows me to use the machine more is fine with him.

Cleaning...does anyone use one of the SoClean2 or Lumin machines and recommend that?

I like the Lumin design and UV vs Ozone (and not having to replace cartidges and such...but it doesn't clean the inside of the hose (which is the most annoying part of cleaning) and the new bullet hose cleaner seems to have some poor reviews.

4 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Couple questions...just over a month in and things are going ok.  Resmed Airsense 10...with the N20 nasal mask.

I find I have some seal issues when I sleep on my side a lot.  Which is normal for me to sleep that way.  Anybody a side sleeper with a different mask that works better for that?  Calling my supplier today...my sleep doc takes the stance on the mask being whatever feels the most comfortable and allows me to use the machine more is fine with him.

Cleaning...does anyone use one of the SoClean2 or Lumin machines and recommend that?

I like the Lumin design and UV vs Ozone (and not having to replace cartidges and such...but it doesn't clean the inside of the hose (which is the most annoying part of cleaning) and the new bullet hose cleaner seems to have some poor reviews.

I am also a side sleeper.  I use the Amara View mask without issue.  it is more bulky than what you are using though, so I doubt it solve your issue.

I do not use any of those cleaning systems...just soap and water.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Side sleeper also.  I use the ResMed Mirage.  I only notice seal issues when either the headgear gets loose or the cushion gets worn out.  Those usually last about 3 months.

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

I bought a special cpap pillow on amazon that helps b/c the side is cut out. I dont always use it b/c it also is a concave pillow that is pretty hard on my neck but it did help get use to sleeping on my side 

A few weeks in and the mouth guard is working like a dream. Can't believe it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

A few weeks in and the mouth guard is working like a dream. Can't believe it

Just called my doctor she is mailing me a script as we speak.

No idea when I'll see the dentist

• Like 1