What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CPAP machines (1 Viewer)

Have you ever used a CPAP machine?

• Yes

Votes: 122 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 234 65.7%

• Total voters
After insurance, it cost us around 1200 out of pocket.  You can sleep in any position. 
I dont think I can use these b/c my front 2 teeth are implants, long story got knocked out as a kid....but was that ever discussed or asked when you were researching it? 

I dont think I can use these b/c my front 2 teeth are implants, long story got knocked out as a kid....but was that ever discussed or asked when you were researching it? 
Every tooth in my mouth is crowned. I'd talk to the doctor near you who does it, but I don't think that affects it. 

If it ends up working, I'd pay 10x that for it. 
its funny i was given the option right away and was like meh .... sounds awful

Now I wish I did more research lol

Just made an appointment for the end of the month...  Not sure how it will work with my insurance etc

its funny i was given the option right away and was like meh .... sounds awful

Now I wish I did more research lol

Just made an appointment for the end of the month...  Not sure how it will work with my insurance etc
Had my machine for over 3 years and never even knew it was an option.  Crazy but I heard an advertisement on local talk radio about a year ago about it and still thought it was probably some type of scam. Finally, I just thought what do I I have to lose and called. 

Every tooth in my mouth is crowned. I'd talk to the doctor near you who does it, but I don't think that affects it. 
interesting..TY can you send me more info about the type of unit you have or the description of it. PM is fine if you don't want to do it here. I'd love to ditch my machine

Had my machine for over 3 years and never even knew it was an option.  Crazy but I heard an advertisement on local talk radio about a year ago about it and still thought it was probably some type of scam. Finally, I just thought what do I I have to lose and called. 
Nice. I have to go back to my sleep doc first so she can push it through etc 

I've been waking up a lot recently in the middle of the night with my mouth completely dry.  Like I can barely swallow.  I'm assuming that I'm still opening my mouth a little and the air is escaping from there?  

Any thoughts?

Just had my sleep study last night, 42.6 on the scale.  O2 levels dropping into low 80s/high 70s.  Went ahead and fitted me for a CPAP and I was able to sleep with it.  They said it cut out the snoring and my O2 levels stayed around 95.  This just fit over my nose and I will be fitted for the real one next week.  She told me to consider a full mask because apparently if you have sinus issues a lot you can't use just the nose one.  

Any recommendation on brands or nose vs full mask?

Just had my sleep study last night, 42.6 on the scale.  O2 levels dropping into low 80s/high 70s.  Went ahead and fitted me for a CPAP and I was able to sleep with it.  They said it cut out the snoring and my O2 levels stayed around 95.  This just fit over my nose and I will be fitted for the real one next week.  She told me to consider a full mask because apparently if you have sinus issues a lot you can't use just the nose one.  

Any recommendation on brands or nose vs full mask?
I too have sinus issues and they have started me in the just over the nose type.  So far its been mixed results.  It was mostly getting easier.  Then with the storms here...no power for several nights i didnt have it.  Getting back acclimated to it plus having been out in the clean up my allergies and sinus issues have made it a pain the past two nights.  Taking a break today from being outside too much with cleaning out our own fridge while its empty...I’ll evaluate at my docs appointment in a month.

2nd night with the implant and still going well. I can tell I'll need the stronger straps in a couple days but won't rush it. Don't want to irritate my jaw. 

Got my dental appliance yesterday and wore last night.  My expectations were pretty low about it, but I really had nothing to lose. Holy crap. I'm blown away at how good I feel this morning after barely 6 hours of sleep.  I feel like I slept 24 hours. Amazing. This is really one of the best days of my life. 
What is this Dental appliance you speak of?

What is this Dental appliance you speak of?
It's just an oral appliance. I had to go to a doctor/dentist that specialized in sleep and TMJ disorders here. They do an exam, have you do a home sleep study, and then fit you with one if you're a good candidate.  The first two nights have been amazing for me. 

It's just an oral appliance. I had to go to a doctor/dentist that specialized in sleep and TMJ disorders here. They do an exam, have you do a home sleep study, and then fit you with one if you're a good candidate.  The first two nights have been amazing for me. 
Is it like a mouth guard?

Couple questions...just over a month in and things are going ok.  Resmed Airsense 10...with the N20 nasal mask.

I find I have some seal issues when I sleep on my side a lot.  Which is normal for me to sleep that way.  Anybody a side sleeper with a different mask that works better for that?  Calling my supplier today...my sleep doc takes the stance on the mask being whatever feels the most comfortable and allows me to use the machine more is fine with him.

Cleaning...does anyone use one of the SoClean2 or Lumin machines and recommend that?

I like the Lumin design and UV vs Ozone (and not having to replace cartidges and such...but it doesn't clean the inside of the hose (which is the most annoying part of cleaning) and the new bullet hose cleaner seems to have some poor reviews.

Couple questions...just over a month in and things are going ok.  Resmed Airsense 10...with the N20 nasal mask.

I find I have some seal issues when I sleep on my side a lot.  Which is normal for me to sleep that way.  Anybody a side sleeper with a different mask that works better for that?  Calling my supplier today...my sleep doc takes the stance on the mask being whatever feels the most comfortable and allows me to use the machine more is fine with him.

Cleaning...does anyone use one of the SoClean2 or Lumin machines and recommend that?

I like the Lumin design and UV vs Ozone (and not having to replace cartidges and such...but it doesn't clean the inside of the hose (which is the most annoying part of cleaning) and the new bullet hose cleaner seems to have some poor reviews.
I am also a side sleeper.  I use the Amara View mask without issue.  it is more bulky than what you are using though, so I doubt it solve your issue.

I do not use any of those cleaning systems...just soap and water.

Side sleeper also.  I use the ResMed Mirage.  I only notice seal issues when either the headgear gets loose or the cushion gets worn out.  Those usually last about 3 months.

I bought a special cpap pillow on amazon that helps b/c the side is cut out. I dont always use it b/c it also is a concave pillow that is pretty hard on my neck but it did help get use to sleeping on my side 

On the cleaning, did you go with anything there?  I have the Resmed Airsense 10 as well. I’m finding it difficult to keep up with regular cleaning, and thinking an auto one may be worth the splurge. 

On the cleaning, did you go with anything there?  I have the Resmed Airsense 10 as well. I’m finding it difficult to keep up with regular cleaning, and thinking an auto one may be worth the splurge. 
Not quite auto.  I did go with the Lumin UV.  Still have to do the hoses...but the UV has been handy lately...sanitize phones, remotes, keys and debit cards after handing them to people when getting takeout.

As well as my mask and tank...

I didn't like the ozone ones based it voiding the resmed warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I went to get my CPAP, and the provider that the doctor sent me to said it would be $995, or $795 if I buy it without insurance.  I haven't met my deductible for the year. He said the insurance company sets the price if a claim is put through them.  This sounds fishy as all get it to me.  Anyone else have an experience like this?

Also, anyone worried about having to connect your CPAP so it sends data to your doctor and/or insurance company?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/11/21/669751038/you-snooze-you-lose-how-insurers-dodge-the-costs-of-popular-sleep-apnea-devices

OK, I went to get my CPAP, and the provider that the doctor sent me to said it would be $995, or $795 if I buy it without insurance.  I haven't met my deductible for the year. He said the insurance company sets the price if a claim is put through them.  This sounds fishy as all get it to me.  Anyone else have an experience like this?

Also, anyone worried about having to connect your CPAP so it sends data to your doctor and/or insurance company?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/11/21/669751038/you-snooze-you-lose-how-insurers-dodge-the-costs-of-popular-sleep-apnea-devices
my ins req me to use it for a certain number of night over a 3 month or so span. I dint mind that it was tracked, I get that they are not going to give these away for free. I went about a week or so w/o using it b/c I got sick and had a hard time breathing for a bit. They gave me a call to see if I was ok. 

Once I got officially approved, I will slack off here and there. I'm not worried about them knowing or not. 

No.  Insurance companies have to have proof of minimum usage to keep paying for the ongoing costs.
Thanks.  This is why I found the initial question of $995 with insurance or $795 without insurance strange.  It would seem I would need to pay for it with insurance if insurance is going to be paying for the maintenance costs.  Also I have no idea about the frequency or costs of the maintenance plan.  I haven't called them back since they hit me with that question, so I'm sure they are planning on going over it later.

Also wondering if I should bypass this provider and maybe just try picking up a machine directly with the prescription that my doctor wrote me.

I've been waking up a lot recently in the middle of the night with my mouth completely dry.  Like I can barely swallow.  I'm assuming that I'm still opening my mouth a little and the air is escaping from there?  

Any thoughts?
Same here. I might try strapping my mouth closed.

Don Quixote said:
I bought the SoClean. Run it once a week. The ozone never completely goes away but I found if I rinse it after cleaning then hang it outside and run my machine for a few hours prior to bed, the ozone goes away.

I always wait until the end of the year to get my supplies and a new machine when needed.

I'm just waiting for dentist to open to see about mouth guard.   I can't tell youlast time I use my machine

Anyone have a decent fairly cheap battery back-up?
Probably doesn't check the "cheap" box for you, but I bought one of these a few years ago.  It looks like it has gone up a bit in price since then, or maybe I just got lucky with a sale at the time.  I actually bought it with the intention of CPAP back up power.  I personally have never needed to use it for that purpose, but did lend it to a friend one evening for his CPAP when his power went out.  I have used it for other things and it has been great.

So the first week and a half of CPAP usage has gone well.  One night I was congested and ended up ripping it off after 2 hours, but every other night I've worn it the whole night.  The AirRes 10 has an app to track how you are doing and I've hit 95 or higher every night except the 54 night I took it off early.

I'm now looking at the cleaning, and they didn't give me any instructions.  I've heard from others about the SoClean so may go that route.  I also heard about Lumin that uses UV to clean it.  Now that I've typed this it occurs to me that this is probably discussed pretty heavily in the 15 prior pages (and even a few posts on this page) so I'll read through those as well.

Probably doesn't check the "cheap" box for you, but I bought one of these a few years ago.  It looks like it has gone up a bit in price since then, or maybe I just got lucky with a sale at the time.  I actually bought it with the intention of CPAP back up power.  I personally have never needed to use it for that purpose, but did lend it to a friend one evening for his CPAP when his power went out.  I have used it for other things and it has been great.
That's half the price of the ones I found that were specifically for a CPAP. I like this one. Thanks!

Got fitting for my dental device. Supposed to last 5 years.    Fighting with insurance so out of pocket to start is going to be ~3k.

I was told I would be reimbursed now they declined the dentist. It has been a hot mess I decided to just suck it up and pay worst case I'm out the 3k.  If it's as good as I've been reading it's going to be totally worth it

what mask do people use?  I went from a full mask to a nasal only to an open face nasal only - lately its been bothering me by leaking during the night with a loud woosh - i wind up waking up and fiddling with it a few times which is a pain....any other recs?

Also strange question - any info out there on Cpap and Covid?  i assume those with apnea are considered more high risk - but i also read some articles that having a cpap helps if you get it as it keeps your breathing going....just curious

Can anybody take a deep breath using one of these?

I think that's the thing I hate most about it. It fights me every time I try to take a deep breath. I'm guessing that's by design. 

Ive had the Resmed Airfit N20 nasal mask.  Its ok...I do have some issues where I wake up similar to what you are saying where it feels like a leak and woosh of air blowing.  Usually when I need to replace the cushion.

I am thinking of getting a full mask though as well...I have some sinus issues and the nights I am having trouble...I end up taking the thing off pretty quickly if I don't feel Im breathing well through my nose.

Can anybody take a deep breath using one of these?

I think that's the thing I hate most about it. It fights me every time I try to take a deep breath. I'm guessing that's by design. 
In yes...out, not so much.  One of the hardest things to get used to is breathing out against the pressure.  (added a little ramp up time that helps...but if I wake up and don't turn it off and on to restart the ramp up...I struggle for a while).

How often are you guys replacing the various parts/piece of your CPAP equipment?  My stuff is partially covered by insurance, but the recommendations they gave me (see below) for when to replace seems like way too often:

Filter - every 2 months - I've had mine for 5 months and the filter is still totally white
6ft tube - every 3 months - 5 months in and no leaks or issues
ResMed AirFit N30i mask - every 6 months - 5 months in and no leaks or issues
ResMed AirFit N30i nasal cushion - every 2 months - I replaced this after 4 months

I suppose as long as I have at least one spare for everything just in case, I should be good?

How often are you guys replacing the various parts/piece of your CPAP equipment?  My stuff is partially covered by insurance, but the recommendations they gave me (see below) for when to replace seems like way too often:

Filter - every 2 months - I've had mine for 5 months and the filter is still totally white
ResMed AirFit N30i nasal cushion - every 2 months - I replaced this after 4 months

I suppose as long as I have at least one spare for everything just in case, I should be good?
Keep em clean and should be fine.

Ill be due for a new tube now actually...cushions I do as often as insurance lets me if I remember to text the place (they are supposed to track it better than me but rarely have through all this covid crap and not having normal hours).

I am bad about this.  I probably should replace more frequently.  

filter...I probably replace about once per year, maybe a little longer. 

Tube...I have had a CPAP since 2011.  I think I have replaced the hose twice and one of those times was because I got a new style machine.  The other time, I am not really sure it needed replacing, but I felt I should do it.

Mask...much like the tube, this is a pretty rare replacement for me and I replace it primarily when the head gear straps get stretched and worn and I figure as long as I am replacing the headgear, might as well do the rest.  But I probably get about 2 years out of it.

Cushion...I replace this most frequently of all parts out of necessity.  Eventually the rubber gets a little flimsy and it doesn't quite seal as well as it used to (my mustache/beard doesn't help).  I have gotten about 5 months out of my current cushion and it seems like it is due for a swap as I am starting to hear/feel a little seepage on occasion.

With my wife's cancer last year, we over planned for our FSA account.  We had to spend a bunch of money by the end of the year or lose it, so I stocked up on CPAP supplies.  When I replace something, I usually clean the old one and save the most recently used parts (except the filters) as emergency backups.  I figure they still have some life left in them if the need would arise, but I have never needed them.  It is probably less likely now that I have a little stash of new parts waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread