Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Eminence

Cordarrelle Patterson

I really like all three of the guys you'd get. I'd take that deal.

I'm in a 14-team keeper league and have an opportunity to trade AJ Green and Keenan Allen, I would get DeMarco Murray, Patterson and Michael Floyd. I post this here as the basis of me wanting to make this trade involves my man-crush on CP and my not being interested in Allen. The only way to make this trade happen is to involve AJ Green, but I wonder if Patterson is going to live up to the hype that 'the machine' is generating for him or if he is over-hyped and I am overlooking Allen as a viable fantasy option going forward. CP looks to me to be a bigger, stronger and sturdier version of Harvin, and Harvin is still getting some hype thrown on him depsite his struggles in his career thus far. Thoughts?

I like it a lot, especially if you can get Dunbar to back up Murray to feel secure at that RB slot.

Thanks for the quick replies. I made the offer just now and it will be accepted later today. I have been wrestling with this trade for a couple weeks now; between the new offensive philosophy in Cincy and the fact Andy Dalton is going to be the starting QB for AJ for the next few years (at least) I feel like now is the time to move him and get somone with the upside of CP, especially since Allen's value last year was so TD related in some games. CP doesn't need an elite QB to make him elite while I think Allen needs good QB play + system to up his value. Like I said, the reason I posted this here was the whole idea of the trade was born out of my belief that CP is a top-level athlete that is fun to have on your team while Allen is just a guy.

And the fact that no one would reply if posted in AC forum.

I applied the effort to backdoor this into the Shark Pool. :golfclap:

I don't think Keenan Allen is "just a guy" at all. That's crazy...look at what he did as a rookie and he wasn't even fully healthy and didn't even become a full time starter in the offense until like week 5 or something.

I think he has top 5 wr upside. That's just a guy?

I'm in a 14-team keeper league and have an opportunity to trade AJ Green and Keenan Allen, I would get DeMarco Murray, Patterson and Michael Floyd. I post this here as the basis of me wanting to make this trade involves my man-crush on CP and my not being interested in Allen. The only way to make this trade happen is to involve AJ Green, but I wonder if Patterson is going to live up to the hype that 'the machine' is generating for him or if he is over-hyped and I am overlooking Allen as a viable fantasy option going forward. CP looks to me to be a bigger, stronger and sturdier version of Harvin, and Harvin is still getting some hype thrown on him depsite his struggles in his career thus far. Thoughts?

I like it a lot, especially if you can get Dunbar to back up Murray to feel secure at that RB slot.

Thanks for the quick replies. I made the offer just now and it will be accepted later today. I have been wrestling with this trade for a couple weeks now; between the new offensive philosophy in Cincy and the fact Andy Dalton is going to be the starting QB for AJ for the next few years (at least) I feel like now is the time to move him and get somone with the upside of CP, especially since Allen's value last year was so TD related in some games. CP doesn't need an elite QB to make him elite while I think Allen needs good QB play + system to up his value. Like I said, the reason I posted this here was the whole idea of the trade was born out of my belief that CP is a top-level athlete that is fun to have on your team while Allen is just a guy.

No sir, it is a discussion thread about CP and I read many, many pages of this in order to discern whether my view of Patterson is skewed or justified. I am also trying and make a comparison between a home-run hitter like CP and a route-running machine like Allen. I feel the views on both are split and don't want to trade Green away to get someone I don't need should Allen prove to be the better receiver. My post was created in the construct of a trade question but the discussion on CP and his present/future relevence is important to a situation/question like mine as many owners and near-future drafters are high on his potential, and sometimes that can create a false hope or expectation that traps a fantasy player and dooms them to make poor and/or uninformed decisions. I have been searching high and low for some next-level information on Allen and CP - which would be based on a 1 year sample size in the NFL and whatever amount of time they played in college - but was hoping the knowledgable folks here in the Shark Pool would be able to help me differentiate between the two while also aiding in this dilemna I face in a league. Any situation like this is as relevent as saying 'I like him' with the counter-argument of 'Why?" as this is at least a fantasy-relevent situation that applies to CP, his skill level, and a comparison made between him and another 2nd year WR with a totally different offense and skill set. So thank-you for your applause, good sir; it is greatly appreciated. Sadly, it is also misguided.

Edited by Red River Ninja

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showforum=12

• Like 2

No sir, it is a discussion thread about CP and I read many, many pages of this in order to discern whether my view of Patterson is skewed or justified. I am also trying and make a comparison between a home-run hitter like CP and a route-running machine like Allen. I feel the views on both are split and don't want to trade Green away to get someone I don't need should Allen prove to be the better receiver. My post was created in the construct of a trade question but the discussion on CP and his present/future relevence is important to a situation/question like mine as many owners and near-future drafters are high on his potential, and sometimes that can create a false hope or expectation that traps a fantasy player and dooms them to make poor and/or uninformed decisions. I have been searching high and low for some next-level information on Allen and CP - which would be based on a 1 year sample size in the NFL and whatever amount of time they played in college - but was hoping the knowledgable folks here in the Shark Pool would be able to help me differentiate between the two while also aiding in this dilemna I face in a league. Any situation like this is as relevent as saying 'I like him' with the counter-argument of 'Why?" as this is at least a fantasy-relevent situation that applies to CP, his skill level, and a comparison made between him and another 2nd year WR with a totally different offense and skill set. So thank-you for your applause, good sir; it is greatly appreciated. Sadly, it is also misguided.

No.

I don't think Keenan Allen is "just a guy" at all. That's crazy...look at what he did as a rookie and he wasn't even fully healthy and didn't even become a full time starter in the offense until like week 5 or something.

I think he has top 5 wr upside. That's just a guy?

13 12/1 CIN 10 8 106 - 13.2 6 1 8 14 12/8 NYG 3 3 59 2 19.7 3 - 17 15 12/12 @DEN 5 2 29 2 14.5 2 - 14 16 12/22 OAK 7 3 26 1 8.7 2 1 6 17 12/29 KC 8 5 89 - 17.8 2 -

In the last 5 regular games of the year (many leagues don't use week 17 in the championship but it is included for arguments sake) Allen had point totals of 8/17/14/6/8. His average receptions in that stretch was 4.2/game, average yards were 61.8/game. He only got over the double-digit mark twice because he scored 2 TDs in each of those games. Could he have scored more in other games and raised his totals? Of course, and you can't hold TDs against a player as that is what the goal of an offense. The thing is, I am not sure he can overcome any downgrade in the passing game, and if the TDs don't occur and with so many weapons coming back this year then any decrease in targets/red-zone targets could turn him into 'just a guy'. Everything with Allen or CP is going to be based on small sample sizes and/or personal preference, I just don't see Allen being anything special.

Beyond discussions of Allen's talent, Rivers has always had a very fantasy relevant WR1 and Allen looks to be that guy for the long term now.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showforum=12

Thank-you. I shall post the question itself there but that doesn't change the fact that I am enamoured with CP. I bought his jersery even though I am a Dolphins fan, have watched his highlight packages many a time, and am excited from strictly a football fan PoV about watching him this year. If I wanted straight trade advice i could go many places, be it the AC section or another site. As is, I find his talent titillating and came across this post in this forum. Thank-you for pointing out the AC section as I am new to this site. Best of luck in your league(s) this year, MoveToSkypager!

Beyond discussions of Allen's talent, Rivers has always had a very fantasy relevant WR1 and Allen looks to be that guy for the long term now.

Not sure why we're talking about this here but I don't see why Allen is definitely that guy? Rivers has always had a good connection with Floyd and he's back now. All reports of Floyd have been spectacular so far. I think Allen will be good long term, but I wouldn't be shocked to see his numbers regress quite a bit this year.

• Like 1

Not sure why we're talking about this here but I don't see why Allen is definitely that guy? Rivers has always had a good connection with Floyd and he's back now. All reports of Floyd have been spectacular so far. I think Allen will be good long term, but I wouldn't be shocked to see his numbers regress quite a bit this year.

Malcolm Floyd has been on the Chargers for TEN YEARS and still has never been that guy for even a single season. He led the team's WRs in receiving only once and even in that season he was clearly second fiddle to Danario Alexander once Alexander got on the field.

People talking on this post are debating the potential of CP and having a point of comparison between him and another highly touted 2nd year WR makes for an interesting point/counterpoint. Both Allen and CP84 could have highly successful careers but if they do it will be in totally different ways. While people are asking if Allen can maintain his decent numbers from last year almost everyone who is discussing CP is asking just how dominant can he be. I am one of those people that looks at Patterson and feels we are watching the next big thing, someone who could be as good a WR as we have seen recently.

Edited by Red River Ninja

Malcolm Floyd has been on the Chargers for TEN YEARS and still has never been that guy for even a single season. He led the team's WRs in receiving only once and even in that season he was clearly second fiddle to Danario Alexander once Alexander got on the field.

I'm not sure how you figure this when Floyd has seasons of;

717 yds and 6 TDs in 11 games

856 yds and 5 TDs in 12 games

814 yds and 5 TDs in 14 games

I'm not sure how you figure this when Floyd has seasons of;

717 yds and 6 TDs in 11 games

856 yds and 5 TDs in 12 games

814 yds and 5 TDs in 14 games

We're badly straying off topic here, but the only years that Floyd has been at the top of the SD WRs were the year that Vincent Jackson got hurt early (a year in which he barely out gained Patrick Crayton, who only played 9 games that year) and a year in which Danario Alexander missed the first half of the season but came in and clearly overtook Floyd immediately (Danario put up 659/7 alongside Floyd's 349/4 after Danario entered the lineup).

Floyd has been with the Chargers 10 years and in several of those years we entered the season thinking SD had no one else on their roster to catch passes from Rivers, but Floyd never stepped up. He had ample opportunity to become a go-to guy for Rivers and failed every time to do what Keenan Allen did on his first try. I'm not sure why Floyd, who is now on the downside of his career and coming off an injury, would be any more likely to do so now than he was over the last 10 years.

We're badly straying off topic here, but the only years that Floyd has been at the top of the SD WRs were the year that Vincent Jackson got hurt early (a year in which he barely out gained Patrick Crayton, who only played 9 games that year) and a year in which Danario Alexander missed the first half of the season but came in and clearly overtook Floyd immediately (Danario put up 659/7 alongside Floyd's 349/4 after Danario entered the lineup).

Floyd has been with the Chargers 10 years and in several of those years we entered the season thinking SD had no one else on their roster to catch passes from Rivers, but Floyd never stepped up. He had ample opportunity to become a go-to guy for Rivers and failed every time to do what Keenan Allen did on his first try. I'm not sure why Floyd, who is now on the downside of his career and coming off an injury, would be any more likely to do so now than he was over the last 10 years.

Chargers homer here. This is correct.

I'm seeing CP settling in at the early 4th heading into this weekends drafts. Looking more and more likely that people picking in the middle rounds are gonna have to take him in the 3rd. Not sure if I can pull the trigger that early. I'd love to have him, but it's getting a little crazy.

Yeah the CP hype machine/ADP creep reminds me a lot of what we saw with David Wilson a year ago... except at the time, Wilson seemed like even more of a sure thing to produce.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_26372271/vikings-cordarrelle-patterson-return-some-preseason-kicks

Cordarrelle Patterson has been returning more kicks in practice this week

As a rookie in 2013, Patterson earned Pro Bowl honors during a season in which he returned kickoffs for touchdowns of 109 and 105 yards while leading the NFL with a 32.4-yard return average.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Should-Patterson-Remain-Vikings-Full-Time-Kickoff-Returner/0bd2ba52-7490-409a-a79f-17e09ce19e93

Should Patterson Remain Vikings Full-Time Kickoff Returner?

Nooo! 53 yard TD? We were so close to a quiet, but promising preseason. Please tell me it was blown coverage or something unspectacular.

Nooo! 53 yard TD? We were so close to a quiet, but promising preseason. Please tell me it was blown coverage or something unspectacular.

He ran by the safety got behind everyone. I wouldn't say blown coverage, he is just really fast.

Sorry, but his ADP suggests that the hype is already out of control

Sorry, but his ADP suggests that the hype is already out of control

His ADP hasn't gone up this preseason. It's the same as it was during the offseason/OTAs. Whether you think that is too high or not is not the point.

This guy w nor outta be big. 4th sounds about right to me

Umm yeah

He ran by the safety got behind everyone. I wouldn't say blown coverage, he is just really fast.

Yeah, he smoked the DB, and made an over the shoulder catch with some degree of difficulty. His hands not only don't look like they are a concern, but could actually be pretty good. If Norv Turner uses him in more of a vertical role like Josh Gordon last year, he could really be positioned to shine.

It was a great play and what I have been waiting to see from Patterson.

He got behind the rookie covering him and Cassel had a lot of room to step into that pass.

I notice he also ran this route out of the slot.

If he can connect on some of these deep plays it will open up some of the short passes for him as well. Could be a big year for him if he has put it all together now.

As good as Patterson could be this season, he'll be even better next year. We're looking at a kid who has the potential to be the #1 WR in FF in the near future. The quarterbacking could hold him back a bit this season, but in time, Bridgewater should be plenty good enough to help Patterson become a monster.

Edited by Football Jones

Use your words.

Yeah, he smoked the DB, and made an over the shoulder catch with some degree of difficulty. His hands not only don't look like they are a concern, but could actually be pretty good. If Norv Turner uses him in more of a vertical role like Josh Gordon last year, he could really be positioned to shine.

The DB he smoked is an undrafted free agent who is slow. Later in the game Patterson dropped a wide open crossing pattern that might have been a TD. Just painting a full picture. Nothing I saw tonight changes my opinion that he's going to be very good.

Yeah if Bridgewater is better than average which I think is certainly possible then Patterson has a great shot at being a top 10 WR in the league for a long time. Maybe 5-6 years..........

Use your words.

I speak jive.

He's saying that playing in a Norv Turner offense is a boon to Patterson's potential. He thinks that the 4th round in a draft is the right place to take him.

• Like 7

Use your words.

I speak jive.

He's saying that playing in a Norv Turner offense is a boon to Patterson's potential. He thinks that the 4th round in a draft is the right place to take him.

LOVE the airplane reference! Makes me feel very old that I caught it!

I'm seeing CP settling in at the early 4th heading into this weekends drafts. Looking more and more likely that people picking in the middle rounds are gonna have to take him in the 3rd. Not sure if I can pull the trigger that early. I'd love to have him, but it's getting a little crazy.

Id like to think of it as this year will be your last chance to get him with any pick later than the 3rd round. In most leagues he's going to be there in the late 4th and if youre lucky he slides to the 5th.

More targets is more opportunity. I watched the Buccaneers preseason game a few days ago and Vincent Jackson really stood out to me. He was crafty and quick. If I was an Offenseive Coordinator, I would be using Cordarelle Patterson the same exact way the Buccaneers are using Vincent Jackson. Patterson has ridiculous change of direction and speed, I want to see how many targets he gets.

Okay guys, I'm getting excited he's sitting in my flex position with Dez and Jordy as my two WRs. He's going to be an absolute ton of fun to watch this season, he's just so explosive.

The price versus risk may be something to consider, but I personally place some value in having explosive and exciting players on my team, the types of which that can have monstrous ceilings if it goes right. In my briefish experience of FF so far, I've found that you can't beat having players on your team that have the capability to pull off enormous plays/games. Its a great feeling when they come off and post something huge.

Okay guys, I'm getting excited he's sitting in my flex position with Dez and Jordy as my two WRs. He's going to be an absolute ton of fun to watch this season, he's just so explosive.

The price versus risk may be something to consider, but I personally place some value in having explosive and exciting players on my team, the types of which that can have monstrous ceilings if it goes right. In my briefish experience of FF so far, I've found that you can't beat having players on your team that have the capability to pull off enormous plays/games. Its a great feeling when they come off and post something huge.

His ceiling is a top 3-5 WR with upside in the near future, there aren't a lot of WRs like that, and most of them cost more than Patterson.

It wasn't an accident that Patterson topped NFL.com's Making the Leap Top 25 Countdown during the Summer, he is as primed as any player in the league at any position for a massive breakout, imo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000357032/article/around-the-leagues-making-the-leap-countdown

Id like to think of it as this year will be your last chance to get him with any pick later than the 3rd round. In most leagues he's going to be there in the late 4th and if youre lucky he slides to the 5th.

Yeah. I got him in all three leagues that I drafted this weekend. Late 4th in two, early 5th in the other.

Use your words.

I speak jive.

Yea that's a correct analysis of the post. I didn't know there were English teachers critique these posts in here , my mistake. But Yea auto spell on my phone messed it up a bit as well. Honestly , even though I'm skeptic of Bridgewater , I think Patterson will outperform his 4th rd adp. On a ppg basis of course. I'd be ecstatic to have him as my wr 2 or even one if I went rb heavy early . I also wouldn't be surprised if he is the #1 wr in return leagues this Year at all. He wasnt far from it in the one league I have him in that counts for kr/pr yards.

I took CP in round 1 today in my keeper league. We keep 3 each year so consider it a 4th rounder at pick #9 if you will. I just want the ball in Patterson's hands. Bubble screens, KRs, hand-offs, crossing patterns, deep seams, I don't care.

Watch him when he gets the ball, special things happen. I hope they happen more often in '14.

Mr. Flashy

Top-5(ish) WR on a PPG basis in return leagues during the 2nd half of last year. This year he gets a veteran training camp and Norv Turner.

Almost time to get crunk for everyone who drafted this hell on wheels!!

Biggitty BUMP!!!

Biggitty BUMP!!!

I don't know what this means but hell yeah!

• Like 1

Top-5(ish) WR on a PPG basis in return leagues during the 2nd half of last year. This year he gets a veteran training camp and Norv Turner.

Biggitty BUMP!!!

I'm all in! Traded Cobb for Patterson. Top 5 WR in PPR leagues this year. Top 10 dynasty asset this time next year. I'm predicting 85-1200-10 with 250 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs.

I'm all in! Traded Cobb for Patterson. Top 5 WR in PPR leagues this year. Top 10 dynasty asset this time next year. I'm predicting 85-1200-10 with 250 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs.

Funny you mentioned Cobb, because in my draft this year, my round three (pick 3.6) targets were in order - CP84, Harvin, Cobb and the draft went:

3.3 Cobb

Me - 3.6 Patterson and 5.6 Harvin :o

The crazy thing this preseason is CP has flashed a little but they haven't even run any of the stuff he's amazing at. It's all been deep/intermediate stuff. I mean if he's going to be great at that too.......look out! We could be looking at the next #1 WR in the NFL.

I'm not sure how you could be going into the season without some piece of CP. It's going to be a fun ride.

"Pull your 84 jersies out, it's gonna be a fun ride."

Vikings officials should have to alert Homeland Security when he enters the stadium, because he is so explosive.

• Like 1