What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriots WR's (1 Viewer)

ShaHBucks

Footballguy
Gronk and Henandez remain top dogs. Im intrigued by the athleticism of signee Donald Jones who torched the patriots twice this year and late pick Jeremy Ebert. Amendola and Eldeman have been the most proven commodities. The will likely add some rookies What do you guys make of the WR core next year?

#1: Gronk

#2: Hernandez

#3: Amendola

#4: Vereen

#5: WR: Edelman, Jones, Sanders, Whoever, Whocares

Outside of Amendola, undraftable at the WR spot.

KY

Brady led the Patriots to the playoffs with a really worse receiving crew then what the Patriots have right now.

I guess they could draft a WR but who knows really.

By my count, Amendola has had one more serious injury than Welker has. Amendola had a dislocated elbow / triceps injury and a broken clavicle. Welker tore his ACL and MCL. Had Welker sustained his injury in Week 1 of the season like Amendola did, he would have missed a whole year, too. (I realize that Amendola also missed a few games with a minor heel injury.)

The perception is that Amendola is fragile and Welker is not, but I am not sure that either one of those is entirely true. I remember people used to say Fred Taylor was Mr. Glass, but he went on to have five 1,000 yard season in a 6 year stretch after missing a lot of time early in his career. Amendola seems to have had some fluke injuries, but I don't remember any recurring, nagging injuries which are probably more worrisome for receivers(hamstrings, knees, high ankle sprains, back problems, etc.).

This is what I see- note my underlining below:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/03/danny_amendola_s_goal_fill_wes_welker_role

By Jeff Howe / Boston Herald

It’s unavoidable for Danny Amendola.

He replaced Wes Welker at Texas Tech in 2004, and he is doing the same nine years later with the Patriots. And nearly every day in between Amendola has lined up as a slot receiver, he has been compared to Welker.

And so, for better or worse, that’s the avenue Amendola’s career has followed.

“I’ve been hearing it for a long time,” Amendola said yesterday. “He’s a great player. He’s been to a lot of Pro Bowls, and he’s done a lot of great things to help the Patriots win. One of my main goals is to fulfill my role and try to do what I can to help the Patriots win, as well.”

From a positive standpoint, Amendola has been Welker 2.0, or some similar label, for nine years, and the comparisons haven’t really dissipated. That means he’s doing something right.

But there’s another side to it, and that will intensify with the Pats, who didn’t want Welker after his six years of service because they preferred Amendola. Now, it’s up to the younger model to find a way to impress his new employer, similarly to the way Welker did.

Like anyone, Amendola wouldn’t mind being his own man with his own reputation, but he won’t scoff at the chance to achieve paralleled team success. Amendola earned $10 million in guaranteed money because he has proved to be a dangerous weapon on the field, but his former Red Raiders coach, Mike Leach, said Thursday that Amendola’s greatest thirst is team success.

Amendola echoed that sentiment.

“The first goal of mine right now is to just fulfill a role on the team really, just find my niche and meet the guys and start working,” said Amendola, who noted he didn’t sign his contract until Thursday. “I’m really not worried about a lot of things down the line. I want to get stuff done now, and I want to become the best player I can as early as I can for the New England Patriots, and I’m sure all the accolades or whatever that come with it will come about in the future.

“It’s something I can’t really control. What I can control is showing up to work on time each day and preparing to win and working hard. That’s really the only thing I’m going to be worried about.”

Details on Donald Jones' contract:

3 years, $4.1 million total. $0 signing bonus, $0 guaranteed.

I woould guess he will be on the roster bubble until opening day unless he does great in training camp.

Details on Donald Jones' contract:3 years, $4.1 million total. $0 signing bonus, $0 guaranteed.I woould guess he will be on the roster bubble until opening day unless he does great in training camp.
Not a encouraging contract. Jones has skills beyond what he's shown or given credit for in a poor Fitzpatrick lead Bills team. 6'0, 214 with 20 bench reps, great agility, 4.4 speed, and a 40 inch vert at thecombine.. Reminds me Victor Cruz. I didnt cash in on that hope yet but i'll be back for more with Tom Brady throwing to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Details on Donald Jones' contract:3 years, $4.1 million total. $0 signing bonus, $0 guaranteed.I woould guess he will be on the roster bubble until opening day unless he does great in training camp.
Not a encouraging contract. Jones has skills beyond what he's shown or given credit for in a poor Fitzpatrick lead Bills team. 6'0, 214 with 20 bench reps, great agility, 4.4 speed, and a 40 inch vert at thecombine.. Reminds me Victor Cruz. I didnt cash in on that hope yet but i'll be back for more with Tom Brady throwing to him.
He reminds me of Victor's ######ed brother Richter Cruz.

I woould guess he will be on the roster bubble until opening day unless he does great in training camp.
Was that supposed to be a joke? Jones http://www.nfldrafts...=2010&genpos=wr

Cruz http://www.nfldrafts...=2010&genpos=WR

Dam near identical, including their rout to the NFL.

Donald Jones is very similar to Victor Cruz. He just hasn't had a decent QB throwing to him.

I'd keep a very close on Jones since he could do a lot in the Patriots offense. They like to make a lot of short throws and Jones is the kind of guy who can put up huge YAC, much like Cruz, and much like he showed in some games last season as the OP said.

That said, the Patriots have a lot of guys on the roster competing for the ball and for the position so it isn't a guarantee. But if he's the starter, I'd want him on my fantasy team for sure, because he could come out of nowhere huge like Cruz did.

Was that supposed to be a joke? Jones http://www.nfldrafts...=2010&genpos=wr

Cruz http://www.nfldrafts...=2010&genpos=WR

Dam near identical, including their rout to the NFL.
It's unfortunate there is no 'measurable' or number that people can place on "being able to get open and catch the football". Cruz and Jones are not similar.

'oPlaiD said:
Donald Jones is very similar to Victor Cruz. He just hasn't had a decent QB throwing to him.I'd keep a very close on Jones since he could do a lot in the Patriots offense. They like to make a lot of short throws and Jones is the kind of guy who can put up huge YAC, much like Cruz, and much like he showed in some games last season as the OP said.That said, the Patriots have a lot of guys on the roster competing for the ball and for the position so it isn't a guarantee. But if he's the starter, I'd want him on my fantasy team for sure, because he could come out of nowhere huge like Cruz did.
Yeah, I'm not sure if he has the same ability to get open like Cruz but I do agree that he definitely has the talent to be worth keeping an eye on, especially with one of the best QB's in history throwing him the ball now instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Great pickup for the Pat with no guaranteed money.

'oPlaiD said:
Donald Jones is very similar to Victor Cruz. He just hasn't had a decent QB throwing to him.I'd keep a very close on Jones since he could do a lot in the Patriots offense. They like to make a lot of short throws and Jones is the kind of guy who can put up huge YAC, much like Cruz, and much like he showed in some games last season as the OP said.That said, the Patriots have a lot of guys on the roster competing for the ball and for the position so it isn't a guarantee. But if he's the starter, I'd want him on my fantasy team for sure, because he could come out of nowhere huge like Cruz did.
What's his "undisclosed medical condition"?

I like DJones too- and Amendola in PPR if he can stay on the field. Jenkins has the size thats missing but seems average. I took flack at the time when I freaked at passing on Dez Bryant and that type of guy is still missing. People love to pull the "the offense is fine" card and yes its good but it would be better and maybe championship material if they had a true #1. It's a shame because have tinkered with this situation for seemingly years, some of it due to "Patriot Way" arrogance. And they have paid a price for it, and possibly helped close a once in a lifetime window for more rings with one of the all time great QB's. Loading up on true WR talent should've been priority #1 since Moss flaked out. The TE emergence has been great, even innovative, but look whats happened when Gronkowski has been out or badly dinged? The void appeared.

So I guess we can just hope that one of these guys emerges or this group can gel enough support the TE's and running game enough for a run at the title. It has been those critical plays during critical games that the lack of WR quality has come back to burn the Pats.

Last years Dallas cowboy super sleeper Andre Holmes now resides on the NE practice squad(i think). Interesting prospect and still only 24

Last years Dallas cowboy super sleeper Andre Holmes now resides on the NE practice squad(i think). Interesting prospect and still only 24
Yes, Holmes is on the Patriots practice squad. But practice squad players can be signed by any of the 32 NFL franchises. So the Patriots and any other team can sign Holmes if they liked what they saw. I don't know enough about Holmes to have an opinion on whether the Pats will put him on their 53-man roster or not.

I know you can't predict what the Patriots are going to do.... ever. But if there was a year when they were finally going to go get Brady a first round talent at WR I think this is it.

So with that being said get ready for the OT or a TE at 1.

Yes, Holmes is on the Patriots practice squad. But practice squad players can be signed by any of the 32 NFL franchises. So the Patriots and any other team can sign Holmes if they liked what they saw. I don't know enough about Holmes to have an opinion on whether the Pats will put him on their 53-man roster or not.
He 's under contract. Typically PS guys sign future contracts at end of year when rosters expand

He 's under contract. Typically PS guys sign future contracts at end of year when rosters expand
Practice squad guys can sign with any team if they get added to the new team's 53-man roster. I don't know the ins and outs of how that works, ie if the Pats have him until the season starts and no one can sign him until then. Maybe they can stash him on their 80-man roster until cut downs occur in training camp. But at some point if teams don't carry their practice squad guys on their season roster, they are the considered free agents.Per the CBA . . .Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs: (a) Any player under contract to a Club as a Practice Squad player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a Practice Squad player while under contract as a Practice Squad player.

Practice squad guys can sign with any team if they get added to the new team's 53-man roster. I don't know the ins and outs of how that works, ie if the Pats have him until the season starts and no one can sign him until then. Maybe they can stash him on their 80-man roster until cut downs occur in training camp. But at some point if teams don't carry their practice squad guys on their season roster, they are the considered free agents.Per the CBA . . .Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs: (a) Any player under contract to a Club as a Practice Squad player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a Practice Squad player while under contract as a Practice Squad player.
I have no idea why you are quoting the CBA to me. Once the season is over, there is no ,ore practice squad. Those players are either signed to future deals or released. At that time, they can also sign a future deal with someone else, but in Holmes case he signed with New England https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/statuses/293475634674544640

Practice squad guys can sign with any team if they get added to the new team's 53-man roster. I don't know the ins and outs of how that works, ie if the Pats have him until the season starts and no one can sign him until then. Maybe they can stash him on their 80-man roster until cut downs occur in training camp. But at some point if teams don't carry their practice squad guys on their season roster, they are the considered free agents.Per the CBA . . .

Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs:

(a) Any player under contract to a Club as a Practice Squad player shall be

completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during

the League Year, to serve as a player on any Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club

is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without

penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between

Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player

shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a Practice

Squad player while under contract as a Practice Squad player.
I have no idea why you are quoting the CBA to me. Once the season is over, there is no ,ore practice squad. Those players are either signed to future deals or released. At that time, they can also sign a future deal with someone else, but in Holmes case he signed with New England https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/statuses/293475634674544640
I understand what you are saying and am not disputing that the Pats signed him to a futures contract. I am confused by what the Patriots web site says, as they list that Holmes was added to their practice squad on January 8, 2013. LinkAs I just cited (and you seemed to already know), if he really is on the Practice Squad he can sign with another team at any time. So either the Pats website is wrong and he is currently on their 80 man roster (likely) or he's on the Practice Squad and could be signed elsewhere at any time (less likely).

Practice squad guys can sign with any team if they get added to the new team's 53-man roster. I don't know the ins and outs of how that works, ie if the Pats have him until the season starts and no one can sign him until then. Maybe they can stash him on their 80-man roster until cut downs occur in training camp. But at some point if teams don't carry their practice squad guys on their season roster, they are the considered free agents.Per the CBA . . .

Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs:

(a) Any player under contract to a Club as a Practice Squad player shall be

completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during

the League Year, to serve as a player on any Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club

is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without

penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between

Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player

shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a Practice

Squad player while under contract as a Practice Squad player.
I understand what you are saying and am not disputing that the Pats signed him to a futures contract. I am confused by what the Patriots web site says, as they list that Holmes was added to their practice squad on January 8, 2013. LinkAs I just cited (and you seemed to already know), if he really is on the Practice Squad he can sign with another team at any time. So either the Pats website is wrong and he is currently on their 80 man roster (likely) or he's on the Practice Squad and could be signed elsewhere at any time (less likely).
for the 3rd time, there is no practice squad during the offseason. Holmes signed a contract, no different then Donald Jones. http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-sign-seven-players-to-future-contracts/8e895b70-001e-4775-a965-8b96bfc3dcb9Pats web-site likely isn't updated

Current depth chart:

Amendola

Donald Jones

Michale Jenkins

Matt Slater

Maybe Edelman comes back?

That cannot be how they open the season, right?

I think they'll make another move (is Lloyd still out there? lol). It is scary as it is but looks a bit better when you add Hernandez and a hopefully healthy Gronk. Vereen should also be more active in the short passing game.

Current depth chart:

Amendola

Donald Jones

Michale Jenkins

Matt Slater

The regular season is 5 months away. They could sign a FA. There are plenty of ex-Pats receivers out there (Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ocho Cinco, and Moss). Or they could draft someone. Or trade for someone. Or extend an offer to Sanders. Or make Hernandez a full time WR. Or they could line up Vereen as a wideout. So to answer the question, I highly doubt that their receiving corps is anything but a work in progress.

And regardless they'll implement a new version of the offense, like they always do when they are 'figured out'

Terrell Owens seen practicing and working out with Tom Brady today at USC. I don't know what that means, if anything.

And regardless they'll implement a new version of the offense, like they always do when they are 'figured out'
Exactly, the gave up Branch and Moss before. Guys usually stink after they leave this system. Welker is unique but Brady/Bilichick will do what the always do.

From a fantasy perspective, I've kind of given up on targeting WRs from the NE offense. While a new receiver on the Packers, Saints or Colts would get my attention, this situation is so murky and perilous, I think I'll just stay away.

Current depth chart:

Amendola

Donald Jones

Michale Jenkins

Matt Slater

The regular season is 5 months away. They could sign a FA. There are plenty of ex-Pats receivers out there (Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Gaffney, Stallworth, Ocho Cinco, and Moss). Or they could draft someone. Or trade for someone. Or extend an offer to Sanders. Or make Hernandez a full time WR. Or they could line up Vereen as a wideout. So to answer the question, I highly doubt that their receiving corps is anything but a work in progress.
And which one of these options would make you feel significantly better about their WR group? Ocho Cinco, really?

From a fantasy perspective, I've kind of given up on targeting WRs from the NE offense. While a new receiver on the Packers, Saints or Colts would get my attention, this situation is so murky and perilous, I think I'll just stay away.
I have done the the same with Was/NE/NO RB's.. NE has had stables in the passing game so I can't agree there.

lol I agree but sooner or later even a blind squirrel finds a nut! With Gronk in doubt they may actually draft somewhat according to plan. HA! Most likely they will trade down, trade up, trade down, pick some dude no ones ever heard of, draft a special teamer, a Divsion III guy, and a 7th round wr..........

btw- loosing Woodhead was a DUMB MISTAKE!!!!

lol I agree but sooner or later even a blind squirrel finds a nut! With Gronk in doubt they may actually draft somewhat according to plan. HA! Most likely they will trade down, trade up, trade down, pick some dude no ones ever heard of, draft a special teamer, a Divsion III guy, and a 7th round wr..........

btw- loosing Woodhead was a DUMB MISTAKE!!!!
Imagine the force NE could be if BB was as legendary in the draft room as he is on the sidelines ?

Users who are viewing this thread