What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson. (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington - RB - Cardinals

Coach Bruce Arians acknowledged Monday that Andre Ellington is still dealing with pain in his foot.

Ellington has a tear in the foot. The Cardinals haven't backed off him much, however, shoveling 16 more touches onto Ellington in Sunday's win over the Giants. He responded with 101 total yards. Arians says Ellington will continue to be held out of practice on Wednesdays, and they'll evaluate him thereafter every week. He remains on track to play in this week's meeting with the 49ers.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Sep 15 - 3:43 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
So lets get right to it...Does Ellington get more carries with Dwyer out?

I'm not sure if dwyer was affecting his carries in the first place but I thought I'd see what other people think.

I'm not sure if dwyer was affecting his carries in the first place but I thought I'd see what other people think.
Didn't Dwyer get a vulture TD in Week 2? Ellington has to be in at least a little better shape without Dwyer lurking to get the goal line carries. There is a lot going in Ellington's favor, actually. Supposedly, he is getting a little healthier, and even injured, he's been getting what 15-16 carries a game and averaging over 5 yards. If he gets healthier AND with Dwyer gone, he may be poised to get a few more FFL points moving forward.

On the down side, he really needs Palmer back in the lineup or that will start to erode his production. I say this because Palmer will do a better job keeping teams from stacking the box vs. Ariz...

Either way, I'd continue to start Ellington...I think it's only a matter of time before he truly breaks out.

MikeApf said:
dblock05 said:

Didn't Dwyer get a vulture TD in Week 2? Ellington has to be in at least a little better shape without Dwyer lurking to get the goal line carries. There is a lot going in Ellington's favor, actually. Supposedly, he is getting a little healthier, and even injured, he's been getting what 15-16 carries a game and averaging over 5 yards. If he gets healthier AND with Dwyer gone, he may be poised to get a few more FFL points moving forward.

On the down side, he really needs Palmer back in the lineup or that will start to erode his production. I say this because Palmer will do a better job keeping teams from stacking the box vs. Ariz...

Either way, I'd continue to start Ellington...I think it's only a matter of time before he truly breaks out.
On the 2 teams I own him I have little choice but too. But break out? If he indeed is playing with a tear in his foot (which I assume has been confirmed via MRI).....I am getting the "ticking time bomb" feeling....not the break out soon feeling.

Hope I am dead wrong on that one.

Just to throw a bit of cold water on things, but I expect that Stepfan Taylor will get most, if not all, of Dwyer's carries. Just because Dwyer is out, Arians still won't overwork Ellington, particularly with his bad foot.

The upside is that the Cards have their bye in week 4, so if Andre can make it through Sunday, he'll have two weeks to get healthier.

Hasn't he already broken out? Over 100 total yards in week 2. Ypc very good. He's running well. He's not going to be a bell cow and he's probably not going to get many gl looks. He will be a Cj spiller type all year. Hell get you good yardage and some weeks lots of reception with a td sprinkled in here and there. Can't see him scoring more than 8 total Tds. But if that comes with 1500+ total yards I'll take it.

He's a rock sold rb2.

Jerry Curl said:
dblock05 said:

I think that is a given in all honesty.
Dwyer wasn't getting carries for any reason other than to limit Ellington's workload. Just like Mendenhall last year. Neither Dwyer nor Mendenhall brought anything at all to the table other than the ability to take a beating keeping defenses honest on the tough inside carries that are a huge part of the Arians deep play action passing system. Those carries are very unlikely to just be given to Ellington. AZ will just go with the next guy up in the power role, and Ellington's role will be largely unchanged.

One could argue that when Ellington's foot is 100%, the team might ramp up his touches, but given Arians' history with him, IMO that's also pretty unlikely. But it's far, far more feasible than predicting an increase in work just because AZ has to replace one scrub power RB with another.

Hasn't he already broken out? Over 100 total yards in week 2. Ypc very good. He's running well. He's not going to be a bell cow and he's probably not going to get many gl looks. He will be a Cj spiller type all year. Hell get you good yardage and some weeks lots of reception with a td sprinkled in here and there. Can't see him scoring more than 8 total Tds. But if that comes with 1500+ total yards I'll take it.

He's a rock sold rb2.
8 TDs in the next 14 games seems pretty wildly optimistic considering he's had 4 total thus far in 17 games played.But regardless, even if he's a "rock solid RB2" (and he's not -- currently RB22, so low end RB2 / good RB3 having not played the brutal in division defenses yet), that's really not great return for a dude you almost certainly had to take in the top 12 or so RBs, usually in the 2nd round. Ellington was a huge sucker pick this year.

He's a rock sold rb2.
8 TDs in the next 14 games seems pretty wildly optimistic considering he's had 4 total thus far in 17 games played.But regardless, even if he's a "rock solid RB2" (and he's not -- currently RB22, so low end RB2 / good RB3 having not played the brutal in division defenses yet), that's really not great return for a dude you almost certainly had to take in the top 12 or so RBs, usually in the 2nd round. Ellington was a huge sucker pick this year.
Got him in round 4 pick 9 of my redraft...far from a sucker pick in PPR scoring. Guy is a PPR back who should if he plays all 16 finish with 1300-1500 total yards....45-50 receptions and 5-6 TD's.

He's a rock sold rb2.
Some of this depends on when you drafted and your depth. I got him in the early 4th in the only league I got him in but his foot ailment was known so people passed on him. He's definitely not a RB1 though. More of a higher upside 2 with a few great weeks (long scores) and some weeks like last where he was relatively bad in PPR due to a lack of targets. I look at him as basically Corderrelle Paterson.

Based on what I saw, getting him as a late 4th rounder was pretty atypical -- but yeah, I'd have no argument with him as a later RB2 / high RB3 in PPR. Tons of people were guzzling the "league-winning pick" / RB1 Kool Aid though, and those dudes are who I was referring to.

I also got him in the 4th. I could definitely see him going in the 3rd though. I agree a second round pick would have been too early.

Based on what I saw, getting him as a late 4th rounder was pretty atypical -- but yeah, I'd have no argument with him as a later RB2 / high RB3 in PPR. Tons of people were guzzling the "league-winning pick" / RB1 Kool Aid though, and those dudes are who I was referring to.
Yeah it was mostly due to me drafting the Saturday after the opening game. People didn't even know if he would play until after the bye week at that point

He's a rock sold rb2.
he fell to the mid 3rd and even the 4th in plenty of ppr drafts. he was mid 3rd in half of my ffpc drafts.

Don't think I would bench Ellington in a PPR. he will catch 5-8 balls
Agreed, I'm not sure I see Stanton as a reason to worry, at least in PPR. Ellington will be the safety valve/check down and I think 5-8 catches is definitely possible.
Start Ellington over P.Thomas in PPR, considering the matchups, QB situation, and foot issue?
In the AC Forum I would tell you NO - start Thomas

I don't know about Ellington this week. He had two mediocre performances vs. SF last year.

Thinking about benching him for Khiry this week.

jdoggydogg said:
We Tigers said:
jdoggydogg said:
I don't know about Ellington this week. He had two mediocre performances vs. SF last year.

One mediocre performance, yes, but I don't think I'd call 90 yards and a TD mediocre.
Sorry, my bad.

Are you starting Ellington? If so, who are you starting him over?
I think so. I'll be starting him over Asiata, Fred Jackson, and Jonathan Stewart. I bet one of those guys will do better than Ellington this weekend, but I'm hard-pressed to guess which one. SF shut down Forte but Murray rolled over them in week 1, so I don't really know what to think about them right now.

jdoggydogg said:
We Tigers said:
jdoggydogg said:

One mediocre performance, yes, but I don't think I'd call 90 yards and a TD mediocre.
Sorry, my bad.

Are you starting Ellington? If so, who are you starting him over?
I think so. I'll be starting him over Asiata, Fred Jackson, and Jonathan Stewart. I bet one of those guys will do better than Ellington this weekend, but I'm hard-pressed to guess which one. SF shut down Forte but Murray rolled over them in week 1, so I don't really know what to think about them right now.
Sounds like the right choice.

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington (foot) returned to Cardinals practice Thursday, getting in a limited session.

Barring a setback, Ellington will start Sunday's game against the 49ers. With Jonathan Dwyer now out of the picture, Ellington could even get some goal-line looks, but Stepfan Taylor will be first in line. Sporting a 5.1 YPC to go along with his 181 yards from scrimmage, Ellington is a strong RB2.

Sep 18 - 7:35 PM

Didn't Dwyer get a vulture TD in Week 2? Ellington has to be in at least a little better shape without Dwyer lurking to get the goal line carries. There is a lot going in Ellington's favor, actually. Supposedly, he is getting a little healthier, and even injured, he's been getting what 15-16 carries a game and averaging over 5 yards. If he gets healthier AND with Dwyer gone, he may be poised to get a few more FFL points moving forward.On the down side, he really needs Palmer back in the lineup or that will start to erode his production. I say this because Palmer will do a better job keeping teams from stacking the box vs. Ariz...

On the 2 teams I own him I have little choice but too. But break out? If he indeed is playing with a tear in his foot (which I assume has been confirmed via MRI).....I am getting the "ticking time bomb" feeling....not the break out soon feeling.Hope I am dead wrong on that one.
Why is it that the coaches would continue to push him out there injured, but simultaneously are concerned about his overuse? Why would they not simply give him the ball more, because he gives them a MUCH BETTER chance to win, goal line or not?

SF D of 2014 is a very different unit than the 2012 and 2013 versions.

They don't scare me away from starting Ellington.

SF D of 2014 is a very different unit than the 2012 and 2013 versions.

They don't scare me away from starting Ellington.
well, they just shut down forte to the tune of 36 total yards. thats a guy who had over 90 yards in every game but 2 last season.

If Ellington can get to 20 touches a game consitantly, I think the odds of him being a RB1 are great, really great.

But if he keeps getting 12-18 without a TD like he has, he may just hang around RB2/3. His potential is up there, they just dont use him when they need to, the offensive play calling is pretty bad in Arizona.

Bruce Arians sucks. As per Rotoworld, Jalen Parmele will handle goal-line and short-yardage duties.

If he goes down, they'll just punt inside the red zone.

I love it when people complain that NFL coaches don't call plays specifically with their fantasy teams in mind.

Those bastards!

Rotoworld:

Andre Ellington (foot) is reportedly walking better and less sore this week.

Even on a bad foot, Ellington has rushed 28 times for 144 yards (5.14 YPC) and caught six balls for 37 yards through two games. Now he's getting healthier, has a home game against a 49ers defense that is far from dominant Sunday and then gets the Week 4 bye to rest up. Owners just need to realize that Ellington will lose goal-line work to Jalen Parmele.

Related: Jalen Parmele

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 19 - 10:57 PM

Users who are viewing this thread