What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (1 Viewer)

I'm surprised there are still Blount supporters and people who think he matters. He may get 6 -8 carries a game, will it matters, doubt it. Gray is a talented kid, I dont think Blount is. Just my thought as Grays absence is going to drive the Blount hype even more.
Blount is talented, as well. Look at what he did in NE just last year. Not being able to beat out Bell for more no playing time isn't an indicator of lack of talent. If it were, what does not being able to beat out Lamar Miller or Ridley indicate about Gray?

Blount sucks. That's why, despite being a complete knucklehead who has had numerous on and off the field violations, keeps getting signed.

Run It Up said:
Bayhawks said:
Run It Up said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Faust said:
Man, I cannot imagine a worse timed idea in the wrong place with the wrong coach than what Gray did.
There was nothing Gray could do to altar the impact of Blount in the offense. Blount will have to earn his opportunities just like last year, when he unseated Ridley.
I don't know about that. In that article, BB says:
"That'll be up to him, just like everybody else,"When he gets an opportunity, how much he can take advantage of it, how much he can be productive, what he can do with those opportunities will determine how many more there are."
BB says when he gets an opportunity, how he does will determine how many more opps there will be.Perhaps Gray over-sleeping will give Blount that opportunity. If Gray doesn't over-sleep, doesn't fumble, doesn't miss a block, etc, perhaps Blount doesn't get that opportunity. But saying there was nothing Gray could do to alter the impact of Blount on the offense doesn't fit with what BB said.
Which is what I said. Grays performance is near irrelevant when it comes to what Blount's role will end up being.
That's not what you said. You said there was nothing Gray could do to alter the impact Blount might have. If he gets benched for being late, that would alter Blounts impact, by giving him the chance to earn mote PT.If that's what you meant, then I agree, to a point. I think is Gray were to average 5.0 YPC, that would limit Blounts opps, & therefore, his impact.
Let me rephrase so there is no confusion as to what I said.

Legarrette Blount will get opportunities regardless of anything Gray can do. Those opportunities will determine his role in the offense. Grays off field #### is a non-factor in the discussion, Gray has proven he can carry the ball in this offense, its his job to lose.

Man, I cannot imagine a worse timed idea in the wrong place with the wrong coach than what Gray did.
There was nothing Gray could do to altar the impact of Blount in the offense. Blount will have to earn his opportunities just like last year, when he unseated Ridley.
"That'll be up to him, just like everybody else,"When he gets an opportunity, how much he can take advantage of it, how much he can be productive, what he can do with those opportunities will determine how many more there are."
BB says when he gets an opportunity, how he does will determine how many more opps there will be.Perhaps Gray over-sleeping will give Blount that opportunity. If Gray doesn't over-sleep, doesn't fumble, doesn't miss a block, etc, perhaps Blount doesn't get that opportunity. But saying there was nothing Gray could do to alter the impact of Blount on the offense doesn't fit with what BB said.
Which is what I said. Grays performance is near irrelevant when it comes to what Blount's role will end up being.
That's not what you said. You said there was nothing Gray could do to alter the impact Blount might have. If he gets benched for being late, that would alter Blounts impact, by giving him the chance to earn mote PT.If that's what you meant, then I agree, to a point. I think is Gray were to average 5.0 YPC, that would limit Blounts opps, & therefore, his impact.

Legarrette Blount will get opportunities regardless of anything Gray can do. Those opportunities will determine his role in the offense. Grays off field #### is a non-factor in the discussion, Gray has proven he can carry the ball in this offense, its his job to lose ...
... and he may have already done just that.

Legarrette Blount will get opportunities regardless of anything Gray can do. Those opportunities will determine his role in the offense. Grays off field #### is a non-factor in the discussion, Gray has proven he can carry the ball in this offense, its his job to lose.
This is just not correct.

Do you really think that Blount would have gotten EVERY "big back" carry for NE today, if Gray didn't over-sleep on Friday?

If you answer that with a yes, you're either out-right lying, or in massive denial.

Therefore, something Gray did (over-sleep) most definitely did "alter the impact of Blount on this offense."

You can believe that Blount would have been able to do this anyway, eventually, but no one can deny that Gray's mistake led to Blount having a much bigger impact in this game than he would have if Gray hadn't messed up.

Do you really think that Blount would have gotten EVERY "big back" carry for NE today, if Gray didn't over-sleep on Friday?

If you answer that with a yes, you're either out-right lying, or in massive denial.

Therefore, something Gray did (over-sleep) most definitely did "alter the impact of Blount on this offense."

You can believe that Blount would have been able to do this anyway, eventually, but no one can deny that Gray's mistake led to Blount having a much bigger impact in this game than he would have if Gray hadn't messed up.
Cool story bro.

Gray was clearly being held out of the game. If he had played he would have shared carries with Blount. Next week they will both carry the ball unless Blount has already unseated him.

Cool story bro.

Gray was clearly being held out of the game. If he had played he would have shared carries with Blount. Next week they will both carry the ball unless Blount has already unseated him.
And why was he being held out? Because of something he did. Yet you said "nothing Gray does will alter the impact Blount has on this offense."

So, you were wrong, and that's the basic point. You can keep trying to back-track and spin it however you want, but Gray did something that altered the impact Blount had on the offense.

ETA-You know what? Never mind. You were right; nothing Gray did or could do will alter Blount's impact. It's not worth debating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount rushed 12 times for 78 yards and two touchdowns in the Patriots' Week 12 win over the Lions.

The Pats primarily attacked Detroit's defense in spread looks, but did mix in some power-running plays. Blount -- not "tardy" Jonas Gray -- got the first opportunities to establish a hot hand, and he ran with them. Blount capitalized on an early second-quarter 81-yard kickoff return by Danny Amendola by powering in for a three-yard touchdown to give New England a 14-6 lead. He later scored from one yard out in what amounted to garbage time in the 34-9 romp. Blount wound up playing 17 snaps to Gray's zero. Blount is suddenly on the RB2 map entering a Week 13 date with the Packers.

Nov 23 - 4:25 PM

Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount - RB - Patriots

The Boston Herald's Jeff Howe figures the Patriots will favor the running game in Week 13 against the Packers.

The Packers are 30th against the run and are allowing 4.5 YPC. While this game has an astronomically-high over-under (58), the Patriots may try and play ball-control offense on the road at Lambeau to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field. LeGarrette Blount figures to be first in line for carries after rushing for 12-78-2 last week, but Jonas Gray could also mix back in after seeing zero touches in Week 12. Blount checks in as our No. 25 running back this week.

Related: Jonas Gray

Source: Boston Herald
Nov 28 - 9:58 AM

Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount has been ordered to perform 50 hours of community service as a result of his August marijuana arrest.

The charge will be dropped if he completes the 50 hours by February 4. This now clears the way for the NFL to hand down punishment, though we're uncertain if any will come after the revised personal-conduct policy. If Blount is suspended at all, it likely won't come into effect until the 2015 season.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Dec 10 - 10:48 AM

Have him in over Jennings right now, no idea about Jennings health and Blount should get about 15 carries at least.

IF I START HIM AND VJAX GOES OFF AGAIN SO HELP ME GOD ISHT'S GOING TO HIT THE FAN. YOU HEAR ME FBGS SLEEPER ARTICLE WRITER GUY?

ETA: I feel better

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't decided yet but I have Blount, Hill and Ingram to choose from and I've penciled in each one so far in my planning so I'm sure I'll guess wrong at the end.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I think BB goes back to Gray this weekend
Think or hope? If it really is think, why?
Just a hunch, I heard LeGarrette (any many other Patriot players) really enjoyed the San Diego nightlife last week. LeGarrette didn't look great on Sunday night and he missed practice yesterday due to his court case. Who knows but I could see Gray back as a lead back this weekend against Miami.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I think BB goes back to Gray this weekend
Think or hope? If it really is think, why?
Just a hunch, I heard LeGarrette (any many other Patriot players) really enjoyed the San Diego nightlife last week. LeGarrette didn't look great on Sunday night and he missed practice yesterday due to his court case. Who knows but I could see Gray back as a lead back this weekend against Miami.
I read a number of reports of Pats enjoying San Diego, but none of them mentioned Blount.

Plus, IF Blount had gone over the line last week, why wouldn't BB have given Gray more than 2 carries?

It's possible that Gray gets more carries, but I think you're reaching with the reasoning behind your hunch.

Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount rushed 30 times for 148 yards with three touchdowns in Sunday's 45-7 AFC Championship Game win over the Colts.

The Colts got smashed in the mouth, run over and spit out by a team that's now going to the Super Bowl for the sixth time in the Tom Brady/Bill Belichick era. The key villain was Blount, a player that essentially quit on the Steelers and was subsequently cut following Week 11. In his seven games as a Patriot since then, he's rushed 93 times for 430 yards (4.62 YPC) with six touchdowns. Sunday's performance was particularly impressive, as he showed light feet in the open field while also bringing the hammer. It was eerily reminiscent of the 2013 season's Divisional Round game when Blount put 24-166-4 on the Colts and Week 11 of this season when Jonas Gray ran through Indy for 37-201-4. Blount will be the Patriots' power back when they face Seattle in the Feb. 1 Super Bowl.

Jan 18 - 10:02 PM

Bill signs players so that he can adjust to any game plan he wants to employ. He has speed, out of the backfield hands, power, and now he has pounder. He can exploit every teams weakness as shown by over 150 yards rushing by each of his backs this year in separate games. It's brilliant really. He can look at each defense he is playing and put in the best back to take advantage of each teams weakness. Amazing coaching and insight really. He is by far the best at game planning because his team can look play so many different ways. If a team is week against the scat back, he plugs in his scat back. If they're light on the line like Indy, he plugs in his ground and pound back. If the team has strong by slow linebackers, vereen kills them with speed and hands out of the backfield. It's just truly amazing how he schemes teams. Maybe all time best coach ever.

When does he get the credit for leaving the field early when in Pittsburgh? One of the smartest things I've ever seen an athlete do. He saw this all coming. Went from never seeing the field to starting for the league's best team and going to the superbowl. Most NFL guys are playing checkers, LeGarrette is playing chess.

ya pretty much.

in this case, the guy is clearly an effective nfl rb. not utilizing him and then shipping him out of the town for nothing in return is just terrible asset management. further, his lack of work caused them to way overwork one of their most important offensive pieces at a position with a high risk of injury.

just shows how much of a joke the steelers are.
Seriously? They are a joke because they let Blount loose? less than a season after the Pats did the same? Face it, the Pats and Steelers realized the same thing... the dude is a strong runner who can look really good against bad defenses like the Colts if he gets the rock consistently. But apparently he is a whiny ##### who doesn't really play well when sharing the load, and certainly not against good run stuffing defenses, - remember all the way to last week against the Ravens? 3 carries for 1 yard??

Truth is, when each team saw what they had in other players on their rosters they let him go. Lucky for him the Pats were desperate to have him back because they lost all of their other players.

Meanwhile, it turned out to be a mutual blessing when the Steelers' cut him. He found the Pats and the Steelers running game exploded, highlighting Bell as maybe the best all-purpose back in the league.

Seriously? They are a joke because they let Blount loose? less than a season after the Pats did the same? Face it, the Pats and Steelers realized the same thing... the dude is a strong runner who can look really good against bad defenses like the Colts if he gets the rock consistently. But apparently he is a whiny ##### who doesn't really play well when sharing the load, and certainly not against good run stuffing defenses, - remember all the way to last week against the Ravens? 3 carries for 1 yard??

Truth is, when each team saw what they had in other players on their rosters they let him go. Lucky for him the Pats were desperate to have him back because they lost all of their other players.

Meanwhile, it turned out to be a mutual blessing when the Steelers' cut him. He found the Pats and the Steelers running game exploded, highlighting Bell as maybe the best all-purpose back in the league.
pats never cut blount

pats never cut blount
OOOOhh. Right. They let him walk.

ya pretty much.

in this case, the guy is clearly an effective nfl rb. not utilizing him and then shipping him out of the town for nothing in return is just terrible asset management. further, his lack of work caused them to way overwork one of their most important offensive pieces at a position with a high risk of injury.
He is an effective back, but he was behind a much better back.

They couldn't get anything for him the trade deadline was long gone and this isn't MLB trades don't happen as much in the NFL. Even if they did trade him they might have gotten a 6th rounder for him. It isn't like they lost a ton of value.

yeah, they didn't want to pay the money at the position --- they already had ridley + vereen, with gray in the pipe, and probable plans to draft a rb as ridley + vereen were up at the end of this year.

I doubt they needed to pay any kind of premium to carry 5 backs, and now they picked him up for peanuts.

Lucky for him the Pats were desperate to have him back because they lost all of their other players.
we lost all our other players?

who are 'all our other players' -- ridley?

the steelers running game took off when they cut blount because bell started getting work??

you are a ####### idiot --- no harm in having some kind of clue about what you're discussing

ya pretty much.

yeah, they didn't want to pay the money at the position --- they already had ridley + vereen, with gray in the pipe, and probable plans to draft a rb as ridley + vereen were up at the end of this year.

I doubt they needed to pay any kind of premium to carry 5 backs, and now they picked him up for peanuts.

Lucky for him the Pats were desperate to have him back because they lost all of their other players.
we lost all our other players?

who are 'all our other players' -- ridley?

the steelers running game took off when they cut blount because bell started getting work??

you are a ####### idiot --- no harm in having some kind of clue about what you're discussing
Ha! Hey Larry - don't get too emotional ... I'm talking about the Patriots... not you. But, yes, they lost Ridley and they lost faith in anyone else, which led to Gray off the practice squad for the game against the Colts and led to them taking Blount off the waiver wire.

Look, bottom line is that over the course of the season the Steelers realized that Bell was ready to take the reigns by himself, which is what he was drafted to do. He is a superior back in every facet of the game, so why would they want to split carries? The Steelers realized that Blount was what he was and nothing more ... but Bell was ready to be something much much better.

Think of it this way -- if Ridley stayed healthy and somehow found a way to turn it up a few notches to get to Bell's level, do you really think that Blount would have been signed? Well, maybe he would have been signed, but do you think they would have split carries with Ridley??

And if you didn't see Bell's game escalate when the Steelers decided to sit (and then cut) Blount you weren't paying attention to the NFL. Even Blount noticed, as he was walking away.

ya pretty much.

He is an effective back, but he was behind a much better back.

They couldn't get anything for him the trade deadline was long gone and this isn't MLB trades don't happen as much in the NFL. Even if they did trade him they might have gotten a 6th rounder for him. It isn't like they lost a ton of value.
so dont trade him. keep him on the team to lessen some of the abuse bell takes and to insure against blount injury.

I don't wholly understand why the Steelers cut him.

He has had a little bit of troublemaker in him going back to his college days and I think he was arrested this past summer too...so I figured it had to do with attitude, in some way.

Generally it's not a good idea to cut a quality backup.

The Steelers and Pats are both run very well. I highly doubt either organization does something overly foolish.

What I haven't seen is the Steelers all upset that he's gone (fans sure, but not team and upper management quotes) and that's interesting making me guess there's still something we don't know of.

I remember Fish giving him four GL carries in a row and him not getting the ball in-ultimately this is why the Titans cut him. He did well in Tampa and...I was surprised they weren't all up in arms upset he was gone to the Patriots.

There's something with his personality or behavior that "rubs people the wrong way," I'm fine with that, not looking for every NFL player to be a role model or saint.

LeVeon Bell was outstanding this past season. I don't think this has much of anything to do with him. Even if he never took a snap, he'd have been a good backup. Something made them prefer to be without

Users who are viewing this thread