What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (3 Viewers)

I don't doubt that Blount can put up fantasy relevant numbers in Philly,  but i don't expect him to repeat anything close to last year's performance. That was such a massive outlier in number of carries and touchdowns, and he really wasn't that good on early downs. Something in the range of 150 to 200 carries and 8 touchdowns seems more likely than 300 carries and 18 touchdowns. 

I think this could be good news for Sproles, Smallwood or Pumphrey.   One of them could end up with 150+ touches, and i kind of think they want that to be Pumphrey. Let the big guy wear down the d and put the little guy in. 

It also is good news for Perkins and gallman.  The giants talked about adding Blount but said they didn't need him anymore once they took gallman.  They seem to be committed to that now. And gallman is going to spend a lot of year one learning the audible heavy offense in New York,  so Perkins will likely get more work than he might have if they'd signed a veteran. And gallman could end up with meaningful carries and goal line work.  

Similarly Theo Riddick and Abdullah owners can probably breathe a little easier knowing a top goal line vulture who had been linked to the lions is off the market 

Other than going back to the Pats, this is about as good or better than I could possibly expect as a Blount owner. 
This is way better than going back to the Pats at this point. They have so many RBs now. Gillislee, Burkhead, Dion Lewis, and James White will take away far more touches than the Eagles backs.

With the Eagles, Blount has a definitive role as the 1st and 2nd down RB. Matthews is rumored to be a likely cut. Smallwood, Pumphrey, and Sproles are all receiving backs. Golden opportunity for Blount.

As far as the whole discussion on compensatory picks from last week goes, the Eagles weren't going to qualify for a compensatory pick anyway, so you can't lose what you don't have.

Blount's one year deal is worth up to $2.8 million. Not sure what the incentives or qualifiers are him to receive the full amount. If his contract is viewed as worth $2.8 million, that would most likely rank as the 31st highest qualifying contract (out of 32 compensatory picks). (To better explain, that would be the 31st highest contract not cancelled out by other team signings.)

If the league sees it that way, NE would get the second to last compensatory pick after the 7th round (unless they don't feel that Blount tipped the scales in the compensatory formula to merit a compensatory pick). If that happened, the team that would most likely lose out would be CIN, who would lose their rights to Mr. Irrelevant.
Thanks for this. Was curious what the fall out would be

This is way better than going back to the Pats at this point. They have so many RBs now. Gillislee, Burkhead, Dion Lewis, and James White will take away far more touches than the Eagles backs.

With the Eagles, Blount has a definitive role as the 1st and 2nd down RB. Matthews is rumored to be a likely cut. Smallwood, Pumphrey, and Sproles are all receiving backs. Golden opportunity for Blount.
Would agree, there was a good chance Blount didn't make it out of training camp to the final roster in NE with the bodies they've already added this offseason. Now he goes someplace without clear competition on 1st and 2nd down and gets the offseason to learn the playbook, etc. No one was expecting 18 TD's again, but now you can hope for some decent RB3 or even RB2 numbers.

I'm not expecting much, but this is about as good a landing spot as we could have hoped for at this point.  At least he'll get some work.

Blount did a good job for the Patriots in his time in New England. Not a single off field issue (which was a reputation he came with) in fact he was one of the most popular member of the team with his teammates...I think he is a good fit in the Phily offense and is definitely worth a mid/late round flyer. 

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski sets the over-under for LeGarrette Blount's rushing attempts at 170 this season.
Blount toted the rock 299 times for the Patriots last season, not including the playoffs. So, 170 would be a major drop-off for him, but coach Doug Pederson has already said since signing Blount that the offensive game plan won't change from 2016 when carries were split up among Eagles backs. Ryan Mathews carried the ball 155 times, and that's the role Blount is taking over. If the Eagles are able to stay in more games, Blount could push 200, but it's highly unlikely he has another 1,161-yard, 18-touchdown season. 800 yards and 6-9 scores would be acceptable.

Source: Philly Voice 
May 19 - 9:53 AM

Philly Blount!!!!!

Dude just got the coolest nickname in the NFL. 

Just wait till he gets rollin.  Gonna smoke the competition.  

I will take the over on 170 carries. in the 11 games that Ryan Mathews played until at least halftime (so excluding Seattle, Pittsburgh, and the 3 games he sat out) he had 146 carries and 8 rushing TDs. I generally don't like saying "player A got this, player B replaced player A, so player B will get this", but this situation seems like one of the easier ones to just plug the new guy into. No one is going to threaten Blount's big back role in Philly, so he should see a similar workload per game with an offense and offensive line that should be improved from last year.

I don't see 299 carries and 18 TDs happening again, but I think 210-220 carries and 9-10 TDs are where I would place his O/Us if he plays 16 games.

I will take the over on 170 carries. in the 11 games that Ryan Mathews played until at least halftime (so excluding Seattle, Pittsburgh, and the 3 games he sat out) he had 146 carries and 8 rushing TDs. I generally don't like saying "player A got this, player B replaced player A, so player B will get this", but this situation seems like one of the easier ones to just plug the new guy into. No one is going to threaten Blount's big back role in Philly, so he should see a similar workload per game with an offense and offensive line that should be improved from last year.

I don't see 299 carries and 18 TDs happening again, but I think 210-220 carries and 9-10 TDs are where I would place his O/Us if he plays 16 games.
Before last season Blount's season high in TDs was 7. He's averaged 5.2 TDs a season, outside of last year. If you want to count last season he's averaged 7 TDs per season for his career. I think I'd take the under.

So who will get the goalline carries Ryan Mathews got in those 11 games in Philly?
TDs are a very volitile stat. Maybe the Eages don't see as many GL opportunites, maybe they pass more in those situations, maybe Wentz sneaks a few in....

It's surely not impossible Blount scores double digit TDs, but its far from a given either.

LeSean McCoy was the only Eagles RB to have 10 rushing TDs in a season in the past 20 years. It's harder than it sounds. 

Probably Wentz will throw for more than 16 TDs this year. Last year, Philly was one of only five teams to have more red zone rushing TDs than red zone passing TDs (along with BUF, CAR, CIN, and DAL).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Octopus said:
TDs are a very volitile stat. Maybe the Eages don't see as many GL opportunites, maybe they pass more in those situations, maybe Wentz sneaks a few in....

It's surely not impossible Blount scores double digit TDs, but its far from a given either.
Sure. I didn't say it was a given, I said it was maybe a 50% chance if he plays 16 games. I know goalline opportunities will vary from year to year, but I like Blount's role as the only real big back on a decent offense with a decent line.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that LeGarrette Blount "hasn't exactly stood out" in Eagles camp.

Reporter Jeff McLane makes the smart observation that Blount's power game will never be particularly eye-catching in a practice setting, but couldn't help but notice the degree to which he hasn't stood out. For their part, the Eagles weren't alarmed enough to keep Ryan Mathews around. Blount is an RB2 as the Eagles' short-yardage back, but already a hit-or-miss player, he's going to be even more inconsistent outside of the Patriots' elite offense. Aug 15 - 6:53 PM

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

LeGarrette Blount rushed five times for eight yards in the Eagles' second preseason game Thursday night.

He also lost a fumble on one of his two catches. Blount's tenure with the Eagles has gotten off to a rough start. He's missed a number of practices for different reasons and hasn't performed when on the field. Through two preseason games, Blount has rushed nine times for 17 yards (1.89 YPC) with the lost fumble. He also hasn't stood out in practices. While Blount may seem like a value pick in mid-to-late rounds of drafts, it's critical to remember he's no longer in New England's offense, which is the only place he's had success. He's also in a timeshare.

Source: FanRag Sports 

Aug 18 - 10:09 AM

According to Matt Lombardo of NJ Advance Media, "it wouldn't be surprising" if LeGarrette Blount is among the Eagles' cuts.

Lombardo also wonders if Wendell Smallwood's roster spot is in jeopardy, hypothesizing that Smallwood may need to beat out undrafted rookie Corey Clement to keep his job. Blount has started both preseason games for Philadelphia but has come out flat by rushing for just 17 yards on nine carries. It's an admittedly small sample size, though Blount hasn't shown much in camp and seems to be showing signs of fatigue after logging a career-high 299 carries with New England last season. He's also not a great fit in Doug Pederson's offense, where backs are expected to play an active role in the passing game. Blount may still have some value as a goal-line vulture if the Eagles keep him, but his fantasy arrow is pointing in the wrong direction.

Related: Wendell Smallwood

Source: NJ Advance Media 

Aug 20 - 9:37 AM

Hopefully the Eagles organization is smarter than the Steelers organization, who paid Blount big money to sit on the bench and receive no work behind Bell, resulting in him checking out mentally and being re-signed by that Patriots for peanuts.  A hammer like Blount is not a practice player.  Cut him after Week 4 of the regular season if you don't believe.  Cutting him before then is ignorant.

I don't buy this at all.  I don't know about the missed practices and all, so if there is something they don't like about his attitude, then that would open the door to getting cut, but he's looked fine on the field to me.  The Eagles' OL hasn't been great (offense as a whole hasn't been great) and if you get rid of Blount, then you are relying on Smallwood (who hasn't even played due to nagging hamstring), Pumphrey (who hasn't looked the part at all, and limited Sproles,  Clement hasn't been bad, but mostly against backups.  I do think that he has some upside, but I just don't see why they wouldn't want the safety of a vet like Blount in what is a totally disheveled backfield right now.

I don't buy this at all.  I don't know about the missed practices and all, so if there is something they don't like about his attitude, then that would open the door to getting cut, but he's looked fine on the field to me.  The Eagles' OL hasn't been great (offense as a whole hasn't been great) and if you get rid of Blount, then you are relying on Smallwood (who hasn't even played due to nagging hamstring), Pumphrey (who hasn't looked the part at all, and limited Sproles,  Clement hasn't been bad, but mostly against backups.  I do think that he has some upside, but I just don't see why they wouldn't want the safety of a vet like Blount in what is a totally disheveled backfield right now.
Yeah, I am down on Blount just because he is out of NE, I don't think he fits the offense in Phi (I guess management disagree with me, go figure) and I think he will be over-drafted based on last years numbers.

But if they cut him, and if Smallwood is really on the bubble, that leaves them with three rookies and Sproles. I just can't see that.  If they cut Blount my instinct would be to bump Smallwood.

Yeah, I am down on Blount just because he is out of NE, I don't think he fits the offense in Phi (I guess management disagree with me, go figure) and I think he will be over-drafted based on last years numbers.

But if they cut him, and if Smallwood is really on the bubble, that leaves them with three rookies and Sproles. I just can't see that.  If they cut Blount my instinct would be to bump Smallwood.

Word out of Philly is its Smallwood's job to lose.

Word out of Philly is its Smallwood's job to lose.
Read that on Sleeperbot or something like that, but how can we know what to believe? Yesterday the word was that Smallwood may be on the roster bubble.

I am more inclined to believe today's update, but still...

How can that be when he can't get on the field? He's always hurt. Ray D speculates he can be cut and Clement could take his spot. Let's not forget he was a 5th round pick. Not like he was this highly sought after player.
Injuries stunted his growth last year and this year but Duce loves him and he is clearly the most complete back on the team. He had a nice spring and beginning of camp but you're right, he's got to get and stay healthy. But if he does, who's going to stop him taking the main role? 

According to NJ.com's Matt Lombardo, LeGarrette Blount has dealt with "weight issues" at Eagles camp, and has "disappointed" in practice.

Both Lombardo and NFL insider Adam Caplan have suggested Blount might not make the Eagles. Signed to a mere one-year, $1.25 million deal with next to no guarantees, Blount has reportedly been outplayed by Wendell Smallwood, and looked lost running out of the shotgun in Philly's second preseason game.

Source: Matt Lombardo on Twitter 

Aug 21 - 5:18 PM

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said LeGarrette Blount will be "a big part of our offense."

"The guy's a beast of a runner," the coach added. Despite preseason struggles, reported "weight issues," and rumblings about his roster spot, it looks like the coach plans to enter the season with Blount as his starter and short-yardage back. Perhaps that changes if Wendell Smallwood shows well coming off an injury this week, but Blount remains the best fantasy bet for now.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Well, there's an interesting contrast. We'll see if the coachspeak ("big part of our offense") wins out over the anonymoussourcespeak ("disappointed and outplayed").

The Philadelphia Inquirer's Zach Berman believes the Eagles could look into a "better solution" to their running back room than LeGarrette Blount.

Blount has looked miscast in the Eagles' offense, rushing 13 times for 36 yards (2.8 YPC) this preseason while being asked to run outside the tackles from the shotgun. Blount had his 2016 career year running behind a fullback in New England. The Patriots seem to be the only team that knows how to use him. There could be a number of quality running backs available at roster cuts, and Berman throws out the Redskins' Matt Jones as a possibility. Blount turns 31 this winter and is on his last legs.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

NFL insider Adam Caplan reports LeGarrette Blount could see a reduced role Sunday in Kansas City.

Per Caplan, the Eagles believed Blount was "too tentative" on Week 1 runs, and they may incorporate more of Wendell Smallwood and Corey Clement against the Chiefs. Darren Sproles remains the only fantasy-viable back in Philadelphia.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Sep 17 - 11:13 AM

Curious if anyone out there has cut bait with top run D this week, bye next week, then Ajayi after a couple weeks to learn playbook? Debating dropping to handcuff Gurley but my other options stink at RB with Gore/Abdullah/Lewis/Lacy.

LeGarrette Blount rushed 14 times for 90 yards and a touchdown in the Eagles' Super Bowl 52 win over the Patriots.

Blount gave the Eagles their first big offensive gain on a 36-yard burst, exploiting a gaping hole into the open field on a run-pass option play. In the second quarter, Blount put the Eagles up 15-3 on an outside-zone run for a 21-yard score. It was a "revenge game" for ex-Patriot Blount. Although Blount remained a part of the Eagles’ three-way backfield after Jay Ajayi’s acquisition, Blount’s role lessened considerably with single-digit carries in seven straight games before the Super Bowl. Now a free agent, 31-year-old Blount will resume searching for mercenary, situational back work. We suspect the Eagles would take him back at a cheap salary.

Feb 4 - 10:36 PM

Lions signed RB LeGarrette Blount, formerly of the Eagles, to a one-year contract.

This backfield has a bunch of bodies but no clear lead guy. Blount reunites with new coach Matt Patricia, who was on the Patriots' staff when Blount was in New England. He figures to be the favorite for early-down and goal-line work with the Lions, with Theo Riddick still the preferred pass-down back. Ameer Abdullah is left in the cold. We wouldn't be shocked if he was dealt.

Related: Eagles

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 16 - 10:39 PM

The Detroit Free Press expects LeGarrette Blount to begin the year as the Lions' goal-line back.

Blount converted only two goal-line opportunities for the Super Bowl champion Eagles last season, but he has a history with new head coach Matt Patricia from New England. Blount scored an eye-popping 18 touchdowns for the 2016 Patriots. Blount may begin the year as the Lions' hammer, but he'll be on the spot ahead of second-rounder Kerryon Johnson.

Source: Detroit Free Press 

Aug 7 - 5:54 PM

Raiders hosted free agent RB LeGarrette Blount on Wednesday.

It's the first known visit for Blount since he rushed for 154/418/5 with the Lions last year. The Raiders also worked out plodder Bo Scarborough.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

, Oakland Raiders

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 5:35 PM ET

He has officially retired.
Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount retired from the NFL after nine seasons.

Blount hadn't appeared in a game since 2018. He played for five different teams, with four of his nine seasons coming in New England. Blount closes out his career with 6,306 rushing yards, 56 touchdowns, and a 4.2 YPC. He won three Super Bowls and led the league in scoring in 2016.

Dec 5, 2020, 9:16 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread