What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (1 Viewer)

Blount was not well liked by the players on the team. When he was let go by the Steelers there wasn't one teammate that stood up for him, even the guys he considered friends.

Maybe it cost them but I don't think Blount would have made much difference in the Ravens game. The Steelers played a very sloppy game with a ton of penalties and the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

100% speculation but I wondered if the Steelers did this to keep Blount (socially) away from Bell. They had that pot thing in the summer and maybe they wanted to keep their superstar away from him.

Blount is a beast. His one fault is that he wants to play. He basically pulled the same crap in Tampa as he did in Pittsburgh. He didn't walk off of the field, but he was late to everything.

I definitely don't think he goes about it the right way but, Schiano & Tomlin should of given him more carries than they did.

Martin & Bell were doing great, but there is nothing wrong with lightening the load for a #1 RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
100% speculation but I wondered if the Steelers did this to keep Blount (socially) away from Bell. They had that pot thing in the summer and maybe they wanted to keep their superstar away from him.
This probably played into it. Not just Bell but the entire team. When Blount goes rogue he becomes a cancer. Skips meetings, shows up late, and is ok taking the fines.

Im sure this is emphasized somewhere else in here, but to repeat:

-Blount's playoff performance, plus

-the extra year the Pats got in this deal

...means that Blount is looking like a Top 20 back in next year's draft. A solid #2. Of course he'll have all summer to mess that up somehow.

Art Rooney II on latest Patriots flap and LeGarrette Blount

Excerpt:

Blount, who signed a two-year contract with the Steelers almost a year ago, violated one of the basic codes among teammates when he left the sidelines before a 27-24 win over the Tennessee Titans last November.

Blount, unhappy about his diminishing role in the offense, went to the Steelers' locker room before they had beaten Tennessee after he did not receive a carry against the Titans.

Never mind that Le'Veon Bell rushed for a career-high 204 yards against the Titans and that Bell was Blount's best friend on the team.

The Steelers wasted little time in waiving the discontented Blount and the Patriots re-signed the fifth-year veteran in late November.

Blount emerged as the Patriots' best back late in the season -- just as he did in 2013 -- and is one victory away from winning a Super Bowl title.

Despite the success of Blount -- and the Steelers' need for a quality backup after Bell hyperextended his right knee in the regular-season finale -- Rooney has no regrets with how Pittsburgh handled the Blount situation.

"Obviously we don't want to have those kind things happen in the middle of the season but it is what it is and I think we made the decision (to release Bell) for the right reasons," Rooney said. "Not going to worry about it too much. We just have to make sure that we make a better decision this year and fill that position with someone we're comfortable with and who will be a good fit."

Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount had his marijuana charges withdrawn after he completed 50 hours of community service.

Blount and Le'Veon Bell were arrested in August and popped with pot charges. Blount had until February 4 to complete his court-mandated community service. With the case now resolved, the league can step in and take action against Blount. It's possible he and Bell receive a fine or short suspension in 2015.

Source: CBS Pittsburgh
Jan 30 - 11:41 AM

And if you think like BB, it also means his contract does not become guaranteed as he will not be on the Opening Day roster. Gives them an out if he acts up or underperforms.

Faust said:
On a related bit of news, the Patriots will have an extra roster spot available for week 1 courtesy of this suspension.

Glass half full.
Reports are that Bell will have a 2 game suspension announced tomorrow. So looks like that glass is more than half full. If that ends up being the case, I have no idea how Bell would end up with 2 games and just 1 for Blount.
Bell was driving so he got a DUI.

Faust said:
On a related bit of news, the Patriots will have an extra roster spot available for week 1 courtesy of this suspension.

Glass half full.
Reports are that Bell will have a 2 game suspension announced tomorrow. So looks like that glass is more than half full. If that ends up being the case, I have no idea how Bell would end up with 2 games and just 1 for Blount.
I think you'll find that Legarrette is an impressionable young man just trying to fit in. He is very sorry and it will never happen again.

Faust said:

Glass half full.
One was charged with a DUI. One was not.

Rotoworld:

LeGarrette Blount has scored 16 touchdowns in his last 18 games as a Patriot (including playoffs).

Blount does his best work for Bill Belichick, who didn't use any of his 11 draft picks on a running backs even though Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen have moved on. Blount appears locked into big back duties, meaning he'll be very fantasy relevant when we can safely project the Patriots to have a lead or when we know they'll attack a defense via the run (see recent Colts matchups). Jonas Gray and Brandon Bolden are Blount's backups right now.

Source: NFL Draft: Veteran Winners
May 5 - 10:09 AM

Where do people think he ranks in dynasty now? NE didn't address RB in the draft so his only competition is Gray, White, and Cadet. What kind of numbers do people see him putting up?

Is he a solid #2 RB or do people expect BB to play games and play mix and match with his RBs all year?

I think his ceiling is 1000/10. Cadet will be the 3DRB. Gray will probably get an opportunity to push Blount for touches.

I think his ceiling is 1000/10. Cadet will be the 3DRB. Gray will probably get an opportunity to push Blount for touches.
he has 16 tds in his last 18 games. 10 on 15 games seems low for a ceiling.
I think between Gronk, Wright, Chandler, Hooman and Develin - Blount might not get as many opportunities.
ceiling <> might not get
Well you've got me there.

But I'm looking at his game logs and in his last 19 games he has 8 TDs. So one of us is confused and I'm not sure who yet.

I think he'll be soft on the ppr side of it, if you can live with that, but pats should be a beastly run team this year, and I won't say they're vindictive, but let's say more probably than not they might be scoring in the 4th qtr --- and that's before you take our ####ty secondary into account.

I think between Gronk, Wright, Chandler, Hooman and Develin - Blount might not get as many opportunities.
ceiling <> might not get

But I'm looking at his game logs and in his last 19 games he has 8 TDs. So one of us is confused and I'm not sure who yet.
last 19 or 19 with the pats?

he's got 6 td in last 8 with pats, but that counts balt and sea

in 2013 he only had 3 games with 15+ carries and piled up 8 td in those games

I think pats might actually be one of the toughest divisions to run against, so I guess that's a negative

ceiling <> might not get

last 19 or 19 with the pats?

he's got 6 td in last 8 with pats, but that counts balt and sea

in 2013 he only had 3 games with 15+ carries and piled up 8 td in those games

I think pats might actually be one of the toughest divisions to run against, so I guess that's a negative
Last 19, 16 regular season, 5 or 6 with Pats, then 3 more post season games with Pats.

ceiling <> might not get

I'm guessing he's talking about Blount's last 18 games in NE specifically, and is also including post season games.

Pats have averaged 19 rushing TDs the past three seasons, but they've trended downward pretty sharply over that span: 25 > 19 > 13. Not sure if that's variance, o-line, play calling, etc. I do think that there is less competition for carries than there has been, but that doesn't mean much -- a guy or two could easily come out of nowhere and grab a chunk of work. We know that Blount won't catch the ball much at all.

I'd be OK with Blount as a RB2 in standard. He feels more like a RB3 in PPR to me. I doubt he'll be available at those prices, though. I'm pretty reluctant to trust a NE RB too much given the way they rotate and game plan week to week.

In PPr, I wouldn't think of him as more than an awesome flex or a "have to" Rb starter because the Patriots do so many things with so many players each game, you can't rely on him.

I'm sure he might go 28/135/2 in a game just as I'm sure he might go 4/16/0 in another while Tyler Gafney or somebody we don't even know about has 12 catches.

You're going to have to be one of those people who have a real good eye and a finger on the pulse of the Patriots to be able to feel good about owning him.

I have Blount in one dynasty league as depth and expect a pretty nice season from him, but bear in mind that NYJ, Buffalo and Miami (with Suh) could all be top 5 run defenses this season.

It's a little premature to go all in on Blount as there still is time for the Pats to pick up another back before the season stats. But consider this . . .

The 6 other RBs currently on the NE roster have a combined 284 career carries. The only ones above 40 are Bolden (139) and Gray (89).

The Pats have averaged 416 carries a year by RBs over the past 5 seasons. FBG is projecting Blount for 180-200 carries. Where are the other carries going to go?

Blount has had 289 carries (regular and post season) in his time with NE and has scored 17 TD.

Blount is situated to be a value pick if things play out right.

I took Blount in the mid rounds as my RB1 in a startup recently that you only have to start 1 RB in (up to 5 however.)

Quite comfortable with my RBs this year. I think this is the year of Blount. I think Gray will see touches on the ground and I think Cadet will beat out White for the 3DRB spot.

But I think Blount represents some ridiculous value this year.

Blount is game plan dependent. The interesting thing is this: If you're arrogant enough to think you can predict when he'll be used heavily, he could be outstanding for your team.

Blount is a fourth round asset getting drafted in the seventh. The risk and inconsistency are already getting priced in, and probably too heavily. Very few players available that late who don't have warts. One of my priority targets for wr heavy teams.

If you were to magically combine (minus overlap) Ridley's, Gray's and Blount's (Patriot) fantasy points from last year you might get some sort of idea what the unquestioned lead back in the Patriots offense would have looked like. By my calculations you get a middling RB2 (~153 FFPts), which is about what you'd expect from a 5th round pick.

Although its difficult to know how defenses will look in 2015, their run schedule does look to be a little tougher this year as Suh has moved into their division and they replace 3 of those bottom 10 run defenses with 3 top 10 run defenses from a year ago.

Here are Blount's last 5 regular season games with the Patriots last year:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit (1st ranked run defense) - 12-78-2

Green Bay (bottom 10 run defense) - 10-58-0 (Bolden vultures the TD)

San Diego (bottom 10 run defense) - 20-66-0 2-11-0

Miami (bottom 10 run defense) - 8-17-1 injured and missed the following week

Buffalo - (11th ranked run defense) - 10-62-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the playoffs:

Baltimore - (4th ranked run defense) - 3-1-0

Indy - (18th ranked run defense) - 30-148-3

Seattle - (3rd ranked run defense) - 10-40-0

I think the inconsistency fears are a bit overrated. He should be a four digit yards/double digit touchdown guy. He's averaged close to a td per game with the Patriots.

Prior to the ridley fumble doghouse, the Patriots running back was a pretty good commodity - even with guys like Sammy Morris back there. Vereen and Woodhead were really good situational guys who could pass protect and catch well enough that they got good defensive looks and could run well - there's been no indication yet that cadet or white can fill those shoes. BB doesn't really rotate these guys as much as people remember - sure he uses guys situationally, but he doesn't just throw out his starter every week and come up with a brand new gameplan.

I think people remember that Baltimore playoff game but that is such an outlier. They were a brutally tough run d, but that was hardly the only reason. The patriots didn't lead once until the end of the fourth quarter. They got behind by two touchdowns - twice. The Ravens were throwing everything at the interior line. The Patriots scored with multiple trick plays including the eligible ineligible formations thing and a wide receiver pass.

The Colts game was also an outlier - although less of one because the pats have consistently destroyed the Colts run d and play them every year.

Remember also that the short sample size for blount last year includes him changing systems late in the year and playing hurt.

Take advantage of people's short memories. He's a rb2 getting drafted as a rb3 or 4.

Bostonfred I absolutely agree with you he's perfect for zero running back strategy
Absolutely agree. He was the second to last true starting RB taken in my zero RB draft. You get a heavy discount for his one game suspension and uncertainty/unfamiliarity of the new Patriots RB alignment. Seems like forever since the Pats run game didn't include Ridley/Vereen. And Blount's backup/COP/3rd down back situation is muddy enough that you can grab a James White in the last round without much problem. He's who I'm putting my chips on to start week one in Blount's absence, and from there is an upside handcuff. Pats ground game is cheap! cheap! cheap! Buy! Buy! Buy!

I think the inconsistency fears are a bit overrated. He should be a four digit yards/double digit touchdown guy. He's averaged close to a td per game with the Patriots.

Prior to the ridley fumble doghouse, the Patriots running back was a pretty good commodity - even with guys like Sammy Morris back there. Vereen and Woodhead were really good situational guys who could pass protect and catch well enough that they got good defensive looks and could run well - there's been no indication yet that cadet or white can fill those shoes. BB doesn't really rotate these guys as much as people remember - sure he uses guys situationally, but he doesn't just throw out his starter every week and come up with a brand new gameplan.

I think people remember that Baltimore playoff game but that is such an outlier. They were a brutally tough run d, but that was hardly the only reason. The patriots didn't lead once until the end of the fourth quarter. They got behind by two touchdowns - twice. The Ravens were throwing everything at the interior line. The Patriots scored with multiple trick plays including the eligible ineligible formations thing and a wide receiver pass.

The Colts game was also an outlier - although less of one because the pats have consistently destroyed the Colts run d and play them every year.

Remember also that the short sample size for blount last year includes him changing systems late in the year and playing hurt.

Take advantage of people's short memories. He's a rb2 getting drafted as a rb3 or 4.
In the Brady era (since 2001) its happened 4 times (Ridley, BJGE, Dillon, Antone Smith). He's a guy that could do it though.

Users who are viewing this thread