What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (10 Viewers)

- The Sparrow thing has never rung true for me really. It's never made sense to me that the Lannisters and other houses would just let themselves be run over by this religious gang. I guess the "people" are in the background somewhere but where was all this populist orthodox religious fervor before it was needed plot-wise? Everything we see in the story is a kingdown which is generally libertine, licentious and bloodthirsty. The pious and bookish need to stay out the way.

- About Cersei, it's obvious that's what they're going for, but she has always just been about her children, Jaime and oftentimes her father. Nothing has changed for her, except that now in the place of a monster she has a pretty decent child who could actually be a good king, but she will do anything and everything to make that happen.
They had no power until Cersei granted it to them in exchange for debt forgiveness. This is basically all her fault.

The screams of someone being eaten alive would be heard throughout Winterfell.  (Not the muted for TV - we're not that bad - version)
The other thing is that she was Walder Frey's daughter.  Now they have another enemy.  Hopefully this is news to bring Baelish back into the fold.

Problem is with the really bad guys, they don't seem to get the horrible deaths we hope for.  That seems to be left for the good guys.  See Lannister, Joffrey.  He got off pretty easy in this world.  
Uh...what? He died from one of, if not the most painful poisons in that world.

Wasn't he also the guy that betrayed Ned in season 1 or am I misremembering?
Thorne entered the story as the Black cloak training Jon and Sam in swordplay at Castle Black.

You might be thinking of Janos Slynt, head of the Gold Cloaks who had them kill off Ned's men.  He was then forced to join the Black cloaks and Jon beheaded him after he refused to obey his orders after Jon took over as commander.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinds surprised that the went back to the Ironborn.  Curious what role they will play going forward.  Maybe Theon will somehow take his role as heir.

I would have rather seen Walder Frey back to know he is going to get his.

Wasn't he also the guy that betrayed Ned in season 1 or am I misremembering?
Thorne entered the story as the Black cloak training Jon and Sam in swordplay at Castle Black.

You might be thinking of Janos Slynt, head of the Gold Cloaks who had them kill off Ned's men.  He was then sent to the Black cloaks and Jon beheaded him after he refused to obey his orders after Jon took over as commander.
Right, but Slynt was Commander of the City Watch in King's Landing.  He betrayed Ned in his confrontation with Cersei and Joffrey in the throne room.  He's also the one that led the killing of all of Robert's bastards in the city.  Tyrion has him replaced with Bronn and sends him to the Wall.

They can't kill Ramsey this season IMO. He's on Joffrey level as far as being so good at being hated. Need him around. Would be great to see him continue to viciously decimate the North in cruel fashion and then get murdered by a White Walker or something when they start moving south.
They're setting up a Jon vs Ramsey confrontation, which I would imagine will go poorly for Ramsey.

They only need Ramsey as a villan until the full on war with the walkers starts. Can't imagine we're too far away from that.  Hes going down this season

I'd bet Ramsay gets taken down well before the season finale. Not a whole lot more to do with his character at this point I don't think. 

Chadstroma said:
1. Actually- didn't they say they were heading to the Umber House?

What was the House they failed to pay Ramsay until he flayed everyone?
Not sure who that was but Umber house is lead by (Great Jon) the really big dude from season one that was the biggest ally of Rob Stark.  Think he didn't die at Red Wedding in the show.  Also, where Rickon was going since they are close allies of the Starks.  Doubt Umbers would stay with Ramsay.  

Not sure who that was but Umber house is lead by (Great Jon) the really big dude from season one that was the biggest ally of Rob Stark.  Think he didn't die at Red Wedding in the show.  Also, where Rickon was going since they are close allies of the Starks.  Doubt Umbers would stay with Ramsay.  
The guy that had his fingers eaten off by Rob's Direwolf?

I can't see him being allied to Ramsay. I think he is coming to install Reckon back in Winterfell then. Which being GoT likely is not going to end well.

I know everyone was ready to get the resurrection done and move on but I kind of thought they should have ended this episode on the spell "failing", and then have him come back to life next week when they start to burn his body, with the missing ingredient to Melisandre's spell being fire.  As it was it was pretty obvious he was going to wake up when they all left the room, and this way maybe people would have had at least a small inkling of a thought that maybe he was actually dead.

The guy that had his fingers eaten off by Rob's Direwolf?

I can't see him being allied to Ramsay. I think he is coming to install Reckon back in Winterfell then. Which being GoT likely is not going to end well.
We shall see (seems like from casting news they casted his son (small jon Umber) and I imagine he is who is showing up.  What this all means I have no idea.  

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Sometimes this show asks too much.

Son and prince heir kills his father, there are two witnesses, the baby crown prince to be is murdered and there are no repercussions?
There aren't really two witnesses to Ramsey killing Roose - one is a servant who'd fear for his life should he disobey the new Lord, the other is the head of another house that doesn't mind Roose's removal.  Neither of them will be saying anything.

And we've no idea if there will be repercussions for killing his half brother and stepmother.  He's the Warden of the North, though, so I doubt anything would befall him at Winterfell - now I'm sure Frey won't be pleased, but he doesn't seem to mobilize he troops so much as hold his defensive position.  Though he could probably restrict all trade to the North.  In any event, its a little early to know what if any repercussions are coming.

We shall see (seems like from casting news they casted his son (small jon Umber) and I imagine he is who is showing up.  What this all means I have no idea.  
Yea, I suppose Small Jon may wanna be Big Jon now and sees Ramsay as his chance to unseat his father.

I was disappointed we didn't get to see the Red Witch use her new "turn into an old hag" power.  
I guess the scene where we see her true self establishes her power to obtain/store life. And I guess like her Snow's life energy will have to come from somewhere. We know this gift won't be for free.

TLEF316 said:
They only need Ramsey as a villan until the full on war with the walkers starts. Can't imagine we're too far away from that.  Hes going down this season
Yeah the writers have said there are only 10-15 episodes left and the big things to come would likely be the big war with the white walkers and who ends up on the Iron Throne. Plus Dany has to get to Westeros at some point, doesn't she? Those two things would seem to be much more important than Ramsay. I could see his fate being decided this season.

Yeah the writers have said there are only 10-15 episodes left and the big things to come would likely be the big war with the white walkers and who ends up on the Iron Throne. Plus Dany has to get to Westeros at some point, doesn't she? Those two things would seem to be much more important than Ramsay. I could see his fate being decided this season.
I think it's 15 episodes after this season, so 23 or so (I think this is a 10 episode season)?

The writers at one time said they envisioned a 7-season series of 70 episodes. So even if they stretch it out a bit more I don't think we're gonna get much more than 75 or so. I could see maybe a final split season like they did with shows like The Sopranos and Entourage in the past.   

I know everyone was ready to get the resurrection done and move on but I kind of thought they should have ended this episode on the spell "failing", and then have him come back to life next week when they start to burn his body, with the missing ingredient to Melisandre's spell being fire.  As it was it was pretty obvious he was going to wake up when they all left the room, and this way maybe people would have had at least a small inkling of a thought that maybe he was actually dead.
I don't know if I agree.  If he didn't wake up from the spell and did when they started to burn his body, it would be cloudy whether it was a) the spell and Lord of Light, b) the fact that he is Targaryean (born by fire) or c) some combo of the both.  I liked the way the did it, especially with Ghost "waking up" right before Jon did.

The Dude said:
Kinds surprised that the went back to the Ironborn.  Curious what role they will play going forward.  Maybe Theon will somehow take his role as heir.

I would have rather seen Walder Frey back to know he is going to get his.

Ironborn have ships.   Danaerys now needs ships.  That might be where that is going.

I don't know if I agree.  If he didn't wake up from the spell and did when they started to burn his body, it would be cloudy whether it was a) the spell and Lord of Light, b) the fact that he is Targaryean (born by fire) or c) some combo of the both.  I liked the way the did it, especially with Ghost "waking up" right before Jon did.
I agree with you, I think the fire wouldn't make sense. Also, the point was that the spell worked when she said please. Pretty sure when Thoros was describing his bringing back Beric, he had lost faith as well and he asked the Lord of Light. I think her "please" is what made the spell work. The ingredients weren't important, it was the asking/faith.

Ironborn have ships.   Danaerys now needs ships.  That might be where that is going.
Yeah, I don't think that was a coincidence that one episode we see them burning, and the next we go back to the Iron Islands.  (When was the last time we were there for any stretch of time?)

An example of the lazy writing this season.  The scene after Myrcella's death with Jamie and Cersei was almost the same as the scene with the Davos and Melisandre.  Cersei and Melisandre have all but given up and Jaime and Davos are basically like f* everyone.

An example of the lazy writing this season.  The scene after Myrcella's death with Jamie and Cersei was almost the same as the scene with the Davos and Melisandre.  Cersei and Melisandre have all but given up and Jaime and Davos are basically like f* everyone.

I think it's likely that the parallels between the two scenes were entirely intentional and good, not lazy, writing.  In one case, you have the religious overtones filled with political machinations and in the other, you have an actual religious miracle.   I also think you're incredibly wrong on reading the characters.  Cersei hasn't given up by any means and I hardly get a #### everyone vibe from Davos.

Cersei's beginning to regain her strength - which doesn't bode well for anyone who's pissed her off.

Davos is pretty f'n cool. I'm hoping he hangs around with Snow for awhile. 

I think it's likely that the parallels between the two scenes were entirely intentional and good, not lazy, writing.  In one case, you have the religious overtones filled with political machinations and in the other, you have an actual religious miracle.   I also think you're incredibly wrong on reading the characters.  Cersei hasn't given up by any means and I hardly get a #### everyone vibe from Davos.
No doubt - she had a twinkle in her eye as she hugged Tommen last episode.  She knows (thinks) she is right back in this thing.  Heads are going to roll. 

If these two scenes weren't written intentionally similar there is a bigger issue.  The fact that you had two despondent women who, in these scenes, have hit the f* it button and the men saying f* everyone who is not us or f* the gods could have been written differently to show the same result without the copy and paste feel.

Now that the Lord of Light has brought Snow back to life and Tommen hugged Cersei and asked for her help they will both be back to their old selves.  As for reading wrong...I did say scene..twice.

Cersei's beginning to regain her strength - which doesn't bode well for anyone who's pissed her off.

Davos is pretty f'n cool. I'm hoping he hangs around with Snow for awhile. 
I think he and Melissandre are going to stick with Snow for a while. Stannis and his troops are pretty much gone now, no where else to go. At least you have Castle Black and the makings of an army and a leader on top.

Preferred manner of death? Your whole body thrown against a wall and crushed by a giant... Or... just your head crushed against a wall by The Mountain.

If these two scenes weren't written intentionally similar there is a bigger issue.  The fact that you had two despondent women who, in these scenes, have hit the f* it button and the men saying f* everyone who is not us or f* the gods could have been written differently to show the same result without the copy and paste feel.

Now that the Lord of Light has brought Snow back to life and Tommen hugged Cersei and asked for her help they will both be back to their old selves.  As for reading wrong...I did say scene..twice.
You are the only one who thinks these things.  There are no parallels between these characters as you are trying to state.

I think he and Melissandre are going to stick with Snow for a while. Stannis and his troops are pretty much gone now, no where else to go. At least you have Castle Black and the makings of an army and a leader on top.
Davos is also incredibly loyal. That's a quality Snow will admire and value. He'll want someone like that by his side.  

Users who are viewing this thread