What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (10 Viewers)

A couple seasons back, Samwise found a buried stash of special weapons, I think they were constructed of black onyx or something.  He gave those weapons to Bran & Co. when they set out to go north of the wall.  Sam himself had killed a WW with one of them, so he figured out what they were for.
Dragonglass, Valyrian steel

A couple seasons back, Samwise found a buried stash of special weapons, I think they were constructed of black onyx or something.  He gave those weapons to Bran & Co. when they set out to go north of the wall.  Sam himself had killed a WW with one of them, so he figured out what they were for.
Dragon glass

In an episode review I read a description that said that "Hodor saw the moment of his death and it got burned into his brain by Bran"

I can buy that explanation, Bran was inside both brains at once and fried them.

So he cant really change the past.  In theory he could get into another persons brain and do the same, but it would take the combination of him being with the person at the time of their tramatic death and him being back in time visiting that person at the same time.
Well, frying Hodor's brain is changing the past, one way or another. The show doesn't really waste movements, and between this huge reveal this episode and Bran's ability to briefly get Young Ned's attention at the Tower, they are setting up something. 

Well, frying Hodor's brain is changing the past, one way or another. The show doesn't really waste movements, and between this huge reveal this episode and Bran's ability to briefly get Young Ned's attention at the Tower, they are setting up something. 
He did not change the "past" - he changed the "present" back when Hodor was still Willis.

Current Hodor always had that incident in his past.  He did not suddenly become Hodor because Bran did something in the "past".

it does suggest there is no free-will in this universe, has Hodor has obviously been destined to Hold the Door at that moment in time.

He did not change the "past" - he changed the "present" back when Hodor was still Willis.

Current Hodor always had that incident in his past.  He did not suddenly become Hodor because Bran did something in the "past".

it does suggest there is no free-will in this universe, has Hodor has obviously been destined to Hold the Door at that moment in time.
My head hurts.

like Oy in The Dark Tower series

The characters seem to travel at record pace this season. Sansa and Theon left winterfell, got to castle black/iron island. Littlefinger left eyre and got to the place he met sansa (I forgot the location they said) all seemingly in days.
For an army that's spent nearly the entirety of the series trying to limp their way to the wall, the white walkers made pretty good time getting to that tree as well.

The part where Dany sent Jorah off confused me . I would think the Queen and ruler and all of that would have a much easier time summoning Maesters, etc to try and cure his greyscale rather than sending an older inflicted man by himself in to the great unknown to find the cure himself. She could have just quarantined him.

If the 3eyed Raven is dead and there is no connection to the weir wood(?) tree will we ever get to see the rest of the Tower of Joy sequence? 

Loved the episode but a couple things bothered me. Why send Jorah off on a mission to find a cure when traveling with her and the 100,000 dothraki would likely speed up his odds of running into someone who knows something about treating the disease? 

The religious fanatics are boring me a bit. It almost feels like the end game is going to be some anti fanaticism message. "This is what you get when you give zealots power..." kind of thing. We have it at kings landing, we've had it with the red woman and now Tyrion is doing the same thing Cersi did with the High Sparrow. I'm sure this will end well for all involved. 

The part where Dany sent Jorah off confused me . I would think the Queen and ruler and all of that would have a much easier time summoning Maesters, etc to try and cure his greyscale rather than sending an older inflicted man by himself in to the great unknown to find the cure himself. She could have just quarantined him.
Beat me to it

Bran must have the power to completely take down the White Walkers.  Why else would head White Walker guy delay his invasion and take his entire army to go kill him?

And Bran is still branded, right?  So the WW leader is just going to be able to track him everyewhere he goes.  Or was that a temporary brand, that's going to wear off shortly.

Also, how did Bran's friend (I forgot her name) kill the WW? Was the spear tipped with something and should we have known that?
Seriously?  Dragon Glass, ever heard of it? 

Sam found a bunch of it and used a dagger to kill a white walker.  He's pretty famous for it with the Knight's Watch.  Sam the Killer.

Sam ran into Bran in that one abandoned Watch Castle. Sam was trying to get back to Castle Black and Bran & Co where trying to get north of the Wall.  Sam gave them some Dragon Glass and told them of its powers.

Jon went to Hardhome to convince the Wildlings to come with him.  He brought a big bag of Dragon Glass and explained what it does.  When the White Walkers attacked he even had Ed go back to the tent to try and retrieve it.

It's a pretty important part of the plot.

Bran is what made the "mad King" "mad", imo
Saw this theory presented. Makes sense actually. If I recall, the Mad King was not always Mad. The Mad King had a fixation with fire which could be because Bran tries to warn him of what is to come with the White Walkers and change history because he does not fully understand his powers and limitations of them which is in line with what the Three Eyed Raven says about not being ready when Bran asked him if he was. Essentially, now we know with the visions Bran has and the warging that he can have great influence over the events- past, present and even future.

Another thought on that.... the Stark who built the wall was "Bran the Builder". What if this Bran is that Bran?

Thanks. I know about dragon glass and valyrian steel (I'm not noonan-watching), I just completely forgot that Sam gave Bran's folks some, I thought most of that got left behind when the wildings/Snow's crew got attacked. I think they lost almost all of it.

Thanks. I know about dragon glass and valyrian steel (I'm not noonan-watching), I just completely forgot that Sam gave Bran's folks some, I thought most of that got left behind when the wildings/Snow's crew got attacked. I think they lost almost all of it.
Plus, pretty sure they talked about how the Children of the Forest provided a bunch of it to the night's watch.  So it's understood they have a lot of it.

Seriously?  Dragon Glass, ever heard of it? 

Sam found a bunch of it and used a dagger to kill a white walker.  He's pretty famous for it with the Knight's Watch.  Sam the Killer.

Sam ran into Bran in that one abandoned Watch Castle. Sam was trying to get back to Castle Black and Bran & Co where trying to get north of the Wall.  Sam gave them some Dragon Glass and told them of its powers.

Jon went to Hardhome to convince the Wildlings to come with him.  He brought a big bag of Dragon Glass and explained what it does.  When the White Walkers attacked he even had Ed go back to the tent to try and retrieve it.

It's a pretty important part of the plot.

Stop being dooshy man. I know exactly what dragon glass is and exactly when it has been used. See my post above. I was thinking all of Sam's stash got lost at Hardhome. I forgot he gave some to Bran's team. I was wondering if it was a weapon from the children that she picked up or maybe even a spear a wight dropped.

Feel free to pinpoint the exact moment in the show where they made spears with the dragon glass because you seem to know exactly which spear she picked up.

Seriously, there are some people who don't appear to watch. I do and was asking a legitimate question, because I don't remember her having a spear with it on it.

Dragon glass= Obsidean

Bran didn't make the Mad King mad.  The gods flipped a coin when a Targaryan was born.  A bunch of them were fkd up from inbreeding.   

Hodor is a legend  

Plus, pretty sure they talked about how the Children of the Forest provided a bunch of it to the night's watch.  So it's understood they have a lot of it.
Thanks, that makes more sense. I remember the new knights watch finding the old knights watch stash, but didn't recall the exact origin (not a book reader). I can see them having that spear around, if that is the case. All we've seen the children use so far is the fireballs and I didn't recall them making a spear with Sam's stash.

Accidentally frying a brain in the past is one thing.  I hope they dont give him the power to control minds in the past or that really jumps the story off the rails for me.

Why build the wall when you can prevent the Walkers from being created at all for example.

Loved the episode but a couple things bothered me. Why send Jorah off on a mission to find a cure when traveling with her and the 100,000 dothraki would likely speed up his odds of running into someone who knows something about treating the disease? 
I doubt anyone with a cure is going to hang around to chat with an oncoming horde of 100,000 marauding Dothraki.

Accidentally frying a brain in the past is one thing.  I hope they dont give him the power to control minds in the past or that really jumps the story off the rails for me.

Why build the wall when you can prevent the Walkers from being created at all for example.
Like I said before, my guess is that there are heavy limitations to his ability and he doesn't know what they are because he was not 'ready'. So, he could try and try again and it would have consequences over a long period of time.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it is clear though that Bran likely has as much to say about the story of GoT as does anyone else.

So where does this red witch 2  come from and why does she know details about Vareays hog getting chopped off and thrown in the fire?  

I have seen many of you guys use the word warg, who came up with that?  

Episode was decent but pretty unbelievable to think that girl can carry Bran off and outrun the white walkers.

Wasn't the Princess Shireen cured by the Red Priestess? I don't remember.
She was cured by a combination of maestors, but they're not sure what actually worked.  Stannis said something about bringing in every healer across the land, from both sides of the sea.

This is one of those posts that I know I should bother with:

Time is a flat circle /Wooderson.   Bran didn't actually change time as Hodor was Hodor'd right from the start.   Anything that has happened to the point we have witnessed happened because Bran did or did not change time in the past.   They can't suddenly make Ned be alive or some garbage because that would have already been the reality we witnessed.

Second, he didn't just fry Hodor's brain - he gave it a singular purpose meant for that moment far in his future.  In an episode where so many people sacrifice their lives for Bran to live, Hodor's is the ultimate, because it literally was his entire life that was sacrificed, not just his death.   It's pretty powerful stuff and pretty brilliant by Martin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a personal preference, but if they really start exploring all of those, that would really hurt the show for me. 
I don't think they will, time is of the essence.

One thing that cannot be argued about this season: They are moving the plotlines forward quickly. 

As of now they have less than 2 seasons to get everyone to King's Landing for the final battle.

Users who are viewing this thread