What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (12 Viewers)

So, next season, much less focus on King's Landing? Tyrion, Tywin, Joffrey, Shae, Varys, Littlefinger, Sansa, Olenna, the Viper all left there one way or another this year. Those who are left are for the most part not very bright and Lannisters.
Seems to be the perfect time for Stannis to attack, but he's in another corner of the kingdom.

I assume Jamie becomes the leader of the KL army, with Cersei controlling Tommen as the political head.
Jamie is in the kings guard, I think thats just like the nights watch, once you are in, you are in forever.
That #### didn't help Barristan Selmy....or The Hound for that matter.
true a king can do as they like, was the hound a white cloak? or just the jofferys personal guard?
Gold cloak. And no, he wasn't.

So, next season, much less focus on King's Landing? Tyrion, Tywin, Joffrey, Shae, Varys, Littlefinger, Sansa, Olenna, the Viper all left there one way or another this year. Those who are left are for the most part not very bright and Lannisters.
The characters are really spread all over the damn place. Snow/Stannis crew at the Wall, Bran in a cave, Arya in Bravos, Tyrion and Varys going to (Pentos?), Dany in the slave cities, the Boltons in the North, Cersei/Jaime in KL, Littlefinger/Sansa/ Brienne in the Eyrie.
I feel like we have to get some more frosty zombies next season. Winter has been coming for a long-### time, let's get to it.

Overall I enjoyed watching this season, but I feel we didn't move the story much on a macro level. The individual stories are cool, but in a global sense we just see Stannis spinning his wheels, Dany hasn't been interesting in ages, the king was murdered but that was only interesting because the accused was a great character.

The smaller scale stories like Tyrion / Arya / Jon Snow were cool, but they're somewhat inconsequential in the grand scheme of things at the moment.
What, to you, is the "grand scheme"?
Not much happened after Joffrey's death re: the throne. And not much happened with the white walkers. I agree there was a fair bit of wheel spinning this season.
I'm sure there's a re-run of Hardcastle and McCormick on for you to watch.

The characters are really spread all over the damn place. Snow/Stannis crew at the Wall, Bran in a cave, Arya in Bravos, Tyrion and Varys going to (Pentos?), Dany in the slave cities, the Boltons in the North, Cersei/Jaime in KL, Littlefinger/Sansa/ Brienne in the Eyrie.
I feel like we have to get some more frosty zombies next season. Winter has been coming for a long-### time, let's get to it.

Overall I enjoyed watching this season, but I feel we didn't move the story much on a macro level. The individual stories are cool, but in a global sense we just see Stannis spinning his wheels, Dany hasn't been interesting in ages, the king was murdered but that was only interesting because the accused was a great character.

The smaller scale stories like Tyrion / Arya / Jon Snow were cool, but they're somewhat inconsequential in the grand scheme of things at the moment.
Not much happened after Joffrey's death re: the throne. And not much happened with the white walkers. I agree there was a fair bit of wheel spinning this season.
What channel? I loved that show when I was a kid.

Tywin died, the Vale is now essentially under the control fo Littlefinger, Varys is exiled, Stannis now has an army funded by the Iron Bank, the relationship with Dorne is questionable because of the death of the Viper and Daenrys excommunicated her longest and most trusted advisor. Of course, that ignores the undertones that the trouble North of the wall is the real threat to everything where we had the Boltons secure the North, Jon Snow essentially become the leader of the Night's Watch, Mance Rayderr's army defeated and Bran meet a bunch of elves and an old wizard who lives under a tree.

You're right. Nothing happened this season.
People get so defensive if every post in here isn't stroking the show. It was a great season with lots of interesting stories, but you can certainly make the case that bigmarc27 did that it was more focussed on the inner workings in the locales than the overall quest for the throne/winter is coming that they've been building to from the start.

In terms of getting to the throne, Stannis is further away and going to be more focussed on north of the wall (but we haven't actually seen anything happen here this season either), and Dany has been twiddling her #### for the better part of two seasons, and as you said lost her most trusted advisor. Littlefinger emerged as a wildcard this season but that's about it in terms of persuing the throne.

I feel like we have to get some more frosty zombies next season. Winter has been coming for a long-### time, let's get to it.Overall I enjoyed watching this season, but I feel we didn't move the story much on a macro level. The individual stories are cool, but in a global sense we just see Stannis spinning his wheels, Dany hasn't been interesting in ages, the king was murdered but that was only interesting because the accused was a great character.

Tywin died, the Vale is now essentially under the control fo Littlefinger, Varys is exiled, Stannis now has an army funded by the Iron Bank, the relationship with Dorne is questionable because of the death of the Viper and Daenrys excommunicated her longest and most trusted advisor. Of course, that ignores the undertones that the trouble North of the wall is the real threat to everything where we had the Boltons secure the North, Jon Snow essentially become the leader of the Night's Watch, Mance Rayderr's army defeated and Bran meet a bunch of elves and an old wizard who lives under a tree.

People get so defensive if every post in here isn't stroking the show. It was a great season with lots of interesting stories, but you can certainly make the case that bigmarc27 did that it was more focussed on the inner workings in the locales than the overall quest for the throne/winter is coming that they've been building to from the start.In terms of getting to the throne, Stannis is further away and going to be more focussed on north of the wall (but we haven't actually seen anything happen here this season either), and Dany has been twiddling her #### for the better part of two seasons, and as you said lost her most trusted advisor. Littlefinger emerged as a wildcard this season but that's about it in terms of persuing the throne.
Bingo. I wasn't even criticizing. Just saying that since the battle of blackwater, Stannis has been spinning his wheels. Dany hasn't been interesting aside from the unsullied part in almost three years, and the wight walkers have maybe 15 minutes of screen time in 4 seasons. I enjoyed the stories in season 4, but in a global sense we crawled along a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like we have to get some more frosty zombies next season. Winter has been coming for a long-### time, let's get to it.Overall I enjoyed watching this season, but I feel we didn't move the story much on a macro level. The individual stories are cool, but in a global sense we just see Stannis spinning his wheels, Dany hasn't been interesting in ages, the king was murdered but that was only interesting because the accused was a great character.

What channel? I loved that show when I was a kid.
I preferred Tenspeed and Brownshoe.

looked to me like that old wizard was part of the tree. he didn't seem too mobile
Or maybe................he IS the tree. :mindblown:

Not sure the time frame in the series, from start to now - can't be much more than 18-months or so. But, in those 18 months, the Starks, Baratheons, and Lannisters have gone from "Great" families to pretty much decimated. Makes you wonder how they survived for generations prior to the start of the show - at least Lannisters and Starks are portrayed as coming from a long-line of leaders. Targaryans have also dropped by 50%, and Danaerys seems to be struggling a bit at the moment.
Lannisters didn't come from a long line of leaders.
When you are the richest family in Westeros - you are a leader, even if you are not a king, or warden of the north...

Seems to be the perfect time for Stannis to attack, but he's in another corner of the kingdom.

I assume Jamie becomes the leader of the KL army, with Cersei controlling Tommen as the political head.
Jamie is in the kings guard, I think thats just like the nights watch, once you are in, you are in forever.
true a king can do as they like, was the hound a white cloak? or just the jofferys personal guard?
The Hound started off as a personal body guard. Then took Barristan's place in the kingsguard when Joffrey got rid of him. The Hound was never a gold cloak.

re: the throne without quoting everyone, the focus is shifting from the throne at King's Landing to the control of the north. That seems to have actually expanded the players vying for the throne. two characters who were not mentioned in the finale whom I feel will be very significant in the upcoming season are Jorah, who was last seen casted off from Dany's world, and Ramsey along with the Bolton family in general whom I haven't figured out whether they are going to be a force against Stannis. I need to look up the family tree to see how these two families are related, a bit lost there on how the Bolton family fits into all of this.

white cloak, and yes he was.

Kings Landing is still the center of the story though. Cersei vs Maergery for control of Tommen?
I don't see how Maergery has any leverage other than her #####...which isn't powerful enough to override Tommens mother.
She's also part of the richest family in the kingdom, while the kingdom itself is in debt and the Lannisters are broke.
True. Cersei really threw down the gauntlet hen she stood up to her father, which surprised me and makes me think that she will continue to get stronger. But to your point, maybe the family just doesn't have the juice to hold KL alone anymore.

3) I also thought it was very obvious that the ship's captain agreed to take Arya north when he saw the coin and heard the words. Sometimes I wonder what show some of you guys are watching.
FWIW, Sepinwall, who spends his entire life watching/digesting.reviewing television, thinks they're going to Bravos, it's not near as cut and dry as you make it out to be.
:goodposting: She's going to Braavos
Yep definitely Braavos. She originally asks to go north to the wall until the captain tells her he's going to the free city of Braavos. Thats when her face lights up and she pulls out the coin.

Tywin was the key to holding up the illusion that the Lannisters were rich and therefore powerful. Now he's dead and left the bankrupt family business to his twit of a daughter and carefree son who has little knowledge of the trade. If Tyrion were still around in King's Landing, perhaps he could turn them around. Alas he's not, I'd expect the Lannister's to take a Stark like tumble down the standings.

3) I also thought it was very obvious that the ship's captain agreed to take Arya north when he saw the coin and heard the words. Sometimes I wonder what show some of you guys are watching.
FWIW, Sepinwall, who spends his entire life watching/digesting.reviewing television, thinks they're going to Bravos, it's not near as cut and dry as you make it out to be.
Yep definitely Braavos. She originally asks to go north to the wall until the captain tells her he's going to the free city of Braavos. Thats when her face lights up and she pulls out the coin.
i thought they were going north also but thinking back all he agreed to was something like "of course you will have a cabin" after seeing the coin. he didn't say he was changing his destination.

I actually threw my hands in celebration when Tyrion choked out Shae. good riddance, #####.

and the music of "Rains of Castamere" playing after Tyrion put that second bolt into Tywin was amazing. I took that to mean that Tywin is done.

i thought they were going north also but thinking back all he agreed to was something like "of course you will have a cabin" after seeing the coin. he didn't say he was changing his destination.
don't think he ever said they were going north. he said he was going home.

Seems to be the perfect time for Stannis to attack, but he's in another corner of the kingdom.I assume Jamie becomes the leader of the KL army, with Cersei controlling Tommen as the political head.
I don't recall them ever being referred to as anything but "gold cloaks" an I never saw the Hound wearing anything but his usual black garb. Never even heard the term "white cloaks" until the post above.

Seems to be the perfect time for Stannis to attack, but he's in another corner of the kingdom.I assume Jamie becomes the leader of the KL army, with Cersei controlling Tommen as the political head.
I don't recall them ever being referred to as anything but "gold cloaks" an I never saw the Hound wearing anything but his usual black garb. Never even heard the term "white cloaks" until the post above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMllnD3xnk#t=132 Language NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ORD69sN_FY#t=35

He was kings guard. I specifically remember tyrion saying "you're kings guard clegane! !"right before clegane bailed from the battle of the blackwater

WTF? WHO THE HELL ARE THE GUYS WEARING F###ING GOLD ALL THE DAMN TIME!?!

F### this show!!!

He was kings guard. I specifically remember tyrion saying "you're kings guard clegane! !"right before clegane bailed from the battle of the blackwater
Yeah, I think he became a member of the Kings Guard. Maybe they were supposed to wear white cloaks.

The gold cloaks are the City Watch, which is different.

So does everyone from Braavos know the whole coin + valar morghulis = obey thing? Seems like an exploitable weakness.
It would work in the same way as "a Lannister always repays his debts". Granted it's easier to hand over a Bravos coin and say a phrase than convince someone you're a noble, but manage it and you could enlist aid from those thinking the Lannisters would reward them.

But people don't do it because the phrase also means the Lannisters repay those who wrong them. The whole thing works only if they follow through on it and they make sure people hear what happened to the guy who wronged them. By doing things like coming up with the song the Rains of Castemere that tells the tale of them paying back disloyal allies.

The Faceless Men would probably work the same way. Yes you could exploit it, but most sane people wouldn't want to risk the consequences.

Yeah, I think he became a member of the Kings Guard. Maybe they were supposed to wear white cloaks.

From now on, I want uniforms and name tags on everyone, like work at friggin' Subway or something.

If I remember right, there was a scene early on when Joffrey took over, where he named Tywin as the Hand, and kicked Barristan Selmy into forced retirement and Selmy stormed out, and then the Hound either got named to it in that scene or soon after.

If I remember right, there was a scene early on when Joffrey took over, where he named Tywin as the Hand, and kicked Barristan Selmy into forced retirement and Selmy stormed out, and then the Hound either got named to it in that scene or soon after.
Yes, that sounds right.

So does everyone from Braavos know the whole coin + valar morghulis = obey thing? Seems like an exploitable weakness.
It would work in the same way as "a Lannister always repays his debts". Granted it's easier to hand over a Bravos coin and say a phrase than convince someone you're a noble, but manage it and you could enlist aid from those thinking the Lannisters would reward them.

But people don't do it because the phrase also means the Lannisters repay those who wrong them. The whole thing works only if they follow through on it and they make sure people hear what happened to the guy who wronged them. By doing things like coming up with the song the Rains of Castemere that tells the tale of them paying back disloyal allies.

The Faceless Men would probably work the same way. Yes you could exploit it, but most sane people wouldn't want to risk the consequences.
Hey buddy here's a shiny nickel, "V##### monologues" now give me your boat and go fix me a turkey pot pie!

ETA: Seriously? V#####a is filtered?

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
well what an awesome finale this year, sucks we gotta wait a year.

Anyone think that tyrion got put in that wizards box? eeewwwww
Might be a great opportunity to

:oldunsure:

er,

Are ee aye dee the bee oh oh kay ess.

bigmarc27 said:
Ilov80s said:
Northern Voice said:
I feel like we have to get some more frosty zombies next season. Winter has been coming for a long-### time, let's get to it. Overall I enjoyed watching this season, but I feel we didn't move the story much on a macro level. The individual stories are cool, but in a global sense we just see Stannis spinning his wheels, Dany hasn't been interesting in ages, the king was murdered but that was only interesting because the accused was a great character.

Tyrion, Arya, and Jon snow are inconsequential stories????

bigmarc27 said:
Ilov80s said:
Northern Voice said:

Tyrion, Arya, and Jon snow are inconsequential stories????
Tyrion spent the whole season in prison and Arya spent the whole season touring Westeros with the Hound.

Neither did much in the grand scheme of Winter is coming/GoT and all that. So while their characters are clearly not inconsequential their season 4 story arcs did not go very far.

Jon Snow OTOH was a pretty major player this season.

Greg Russell said:

my guess is there are not too many of those coins floating around. I dont think its the bravosi equivalent of a nickel or something. saying the words is not enough.

Biggest plot reveal for me this season was the Lysa/littlefinger murder of John Aryn.

But for that, ned's chillin in winterfell with a castle full of kids and direwolves.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to arya's wolf?

Perhaps it's more about the journey and less about the designation. Character driven and all that jazz...
I think that's great and I really dig the story-lines in the show - all I was saying is that in seasons 1/2/3, major plot points moved the story. Season 4 was more intimate in its story-telling.

Biggest plot reveal for me this season was the Lysa/littlefinger murder of John Aryn.

But for that, ned's chillin in winterfell with a castle full of kids and direwolves.

I don't think we've seen it since he bit Joffrey

bigmarc27 said:

What show are you watching and/or what show do you want to watch?

Each character/pawn is positioning themselves to grab as much or hold onto as much power as possible. It's exciting just watching how different variables comes into play, different ages and different loyalties. It'd be a pretty unimpressive show if we were told who was in power and who will be in power. This season was excellent all around.

Any reason to think the Margery/Tommen marriage happens? Cersei isn't keeping up her part of the bargain and no Tywin to push it. Obviously the lannisters still need money but will that be enough?

Perhaps it's more about the journey and less about the designation. Character driven and all that jazz...
I think that's great and I really dig the story-lines in the show - all I was saying is that in seasons 1/2/3, major plot points moved the story. Season 4 was more intimate in its story-telling.
I hear ya and can understand. But a few story lines have progressed or reached a mini resolution. More than you'd think:- bran completed his journey north

-arya is free

- Sansa has been freed and empowered

- the wildling threat has been neutralized

- hot pie achieved master wolf bread baker status

I thought that Ned killed the wolf that bit Joffrey.

So are Jon Snow & Bran's wolves the only ones left or is Sansa's alive too?

Any reason to think the Margery/Tommen marriage happens? Cersei isn't keeping up her part of the bargain and no Tywin to push it. Obviously the lannisters still need money but will that be enough?
Without Tywin and Tyrion to bring some business savvy to the table the Tyrell's are in a pretty good position to start dictating how things play out in King's Landing.

I thought that Ned killed the wolf that bit Joffrey.So are Jon Snow & Bran's wolves the only ones left or is Sansa's alive too?
Lady, Sansa's wolf was killed in the place of nymeria on cersei's order. Nymeria bit joff

Arya's wolf couldn't be found so they sacrificed Sansa's

Arya's wolf couldn't be found so they sacrificed Sansa's
Got it. So Arya, Jon & Bran's wolves are still alive. What about Rickon? Did he have a wolf?

I thought that Ned killed the wolf that bit Joffrey.So are Jon Snow & Bran's wolves the only ones left or is Sansa's alive too?
Rickon too

Users who are viewing this thread