What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

he looked hurt for a second after that td ...but as he was running back to the sideline he waved off someones concern ...hes fine ...whew

Looks like a small cramp. Not even being evaluated after it.

Either way... I say we call it a day from here on out. 86 yards and 3 TDs is good for this week.

Shut him down for the rest of the game, please
Yes, this.Worth pointing out that he got hurt without being touched. This is the reason you'll see some sort of time share with Davis for the remainder of the season. In addition to the fact that Davis plus Charles together appears to be unstoppable.

Yes, this.Worth pointing out that he got hurt without being touched. This is the reason you'll see some sort of time share with Davis for the remainder of the season. In addition to the fact that Davis plus Charles together appears to be unstoppable.
Is your argument still "its a timeshare so Charles is no longer a fantasy stud"? If timeshare means 16 touches and goal line carries I think Charles' days of being a stud arn't over.

Is your argument still "its a timeshare so Charles is no longer a fantasy stud"? If timeshare means 16 touches and goal line carries I think Charles' days of being a stud arn't over.
i think hes arguing that davis has usurped some of charles workload and thus his charles is of slightly less value. seems reasonable. davis is getting much more play than last year and has been effective. why wouldnt they continue to use him.

Davis is so mediocre.
Are you insane....he would start for 1/2 the teams in the NFLObviously a Charles owner who doesn't have his handcuff
I'm a Charles owner who does have the Davis handcuff (as well as, in several places, a Davis owner who does not also own Charles).

Knile Davis is a pretty good runner who adds absolutely nothing in the passing game. I might not use "mediocre" to describe him, but I'd feel comfortable using a synonym. Average, okay, fine, decent- take your pick. He's had some huge fantasy games, but that's because he's gotten some absurd volume. It's a testament that he can handle that kind of workload, but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire with it.

Crazy athlete. Mediocre running back.

I'm a Charles owner who does have the Davis handcuff (as well as, in several places, a Davis owner who does not also own Charles).
Knile Davis is a pretty good runner who adds absolutely nothing in the passing game. I might not use "mediocre" to describe him, but I'd feel comfortable using a synonym. Average, okay, fine, decent- take your pick. He's had some huge fantasy games, but that's because he's gotten some absurd volume. It's a testament that he can handle that kind of workload, but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire with it.

Davis is not nearly the receiver that Charles is and has some questionable hands, but his route running is pretty good for a running back. I would say absolutely nothing is an exaggeration... that's more like LeGarette Blount.

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles rushed for 92 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries in the Chiefs' 41-14, Week 4 win over the Patriots on Monday night, adding three catches for 16 yards and two more touchdowns.

Charles' ankle issue from Week 2 was a non-issue. He looked as quick as he has all season, especially around the edge. The Kansas City offensive line opened gaping holes and sealed the edges, allowing Charles and Knile Davis to combine for 199 total rushing yards. After a down first three weeks of the season, Charles is again staking his claim as the No. 1 overall fantasy running back. It won't be easy next week, however. The Chiefs will travel to San Francisco. The 49ers held LeSean McCoy to 17 rushing yards on ten carries this past Sunday.

Sep 29 - 11:21 PM

Davis is not nearly the receiver that Charles is and has some questionable hands, but his route running is pretty good for a running back. I would say absolutely nothing is an exaggeration... that's more like LeGarette Blount.
He graded out poorly by PFF last year, and is currently graded out dead last among all RBs in receiving performance for 2014. He ranks dead last in yards per pass route run in 2014, and his 2013 season would have ranked ~35th if he'd had enough snaps to qualify. His 5.8 career yards per reception is bad, and his 4.0 career yards per target is really bad. His routes may be fine, but his hands are terrible. His college numbers don't suggest that he's just being misused, either. A guy like Mark Ingram has done little in the pros, but was an accomplished receiver in college. Davis had under 300 career receiving yards.

Honestly, I would call Knile Davis a liability in the passing game. I think his contributions there are negative (though he makes up for it with his contributions on the ground). It's true that he's better than Blount, but that doesn't mean he's not a negative, it just means Blount is a bigger negative.

Thanks Adam. Good stuff as always. How do you view Davis as a runner? He strikes me as pretty darn good. Seems to have good vision and runs very hard. Thoughts?

JC on with the ESPN crew right now...

-says he and Knile are very close.

-Ray Lewis called he and Knile a 1-2 punch.

-he didn't answer the first question about his ankle. The ESPN idiot actually withdrew the question, saying he looked fine.

-says he wants the ball. "I'm hungry".

-won't be at Royals game tomorrow night. Says he'll probably be in trainers room.

Last edited:

He graded out poorly by PFF last year, and is currently graded out dead last among all RBs in receiving performance for 2014. He ranks dead last in yards per pass route run in 2014, and his 2013 season would have ranked ~35th if he'd had enough snaps to qualify. His 5.8 career yards per reception is bad, and his 4.0 career yards per target is really bad. His routes may be fine, but his hands are terrible. His college numbers don't suggest that he's just being misused, either. A guy like Mark Ingram has done little in the pros, but was an accomplished receiver in college. Davis had under 300 career receiving yards.

Honestly, I would call Knile Davis a liability in the passing game. I think his contributions there are negative (though he makes up for it with his contributions on the ground). It's true that he's better than Blount, but that doesn't mean he's not a negative, it just means Blount is a bigger negative.
Good thing they drafted him as a running back, then.

Thanks Adam. Good stuff as always. How do you view Davis as a runner? He strikes me as pretty darn good. Seems to have good vision and runs very hard. Thoughts?
I like him well enough. I think I was the highest staffer on him in his rookie class; everyone was holding that horrible final college season against him, while I figured if the Chiefs were willing to overlook it and take him in the third, who was I to argue? I think from a pure athletic package standpoint, Knile Davis is one of the most physically impressive runners in the league. Of course, the same is true for Jerick McKinnon, another guy the jury is still out on.

Davis puts his physical gifts to good use when running, and aesthetically speaking I really enjoy his game. A lot of contact, a lot of power. Functionally speaking, he'd probably be better off trying to avoid some of that contact; he lacks the fluidity and creativity that are hallmarks of the true greats like Charles. I think as a runner Davis is more of a Stevan Ridley type (which I mean as a compliment; I think Ridley is a very good runner, even if he's not great).

From a fantasy standpoint, Davis' best asset is his ability to handle a workload. Reid seems thrilled to just shove the ball down his throat until he pukes. That's great for fantasy production. He adds solid value on the ground. I have a hard time getting too terribly excited about a modern RB that's that limited in the passing game, though. The league is more of a passing league every year.

Ridley is the first RB comparison I thought of as well. And not just because of the fumbling.

It's pretty clear to me that Davis is going to eat into Charles' time this year. Might not be a bad thing, either. For one, I don't think Charles is physically able to carry as big a load as he did in 2013. And two - Davis can put a beating on a defense, softening things up for Charles.

Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles rushed for 92 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries in the Chiefs' 41-14, Week 4 win over the Patriots on Monday night, adding three catches for 16 yards and two more touchdowns.

Charles' ankle issue from Week 2 was a non-issue. He looked as quick as he has all season, especially around the edge. The Kansas City offensive line opened gaping holes and sealed the edges, allowing Charles and Knile Davis to combine for 199 total rushing yards. After a down first three weeks of the season, Charles is again staking his claim as the No. 1 overall fantasy running back. It won't be easy next week, however. The Chiefs will travel to San Francisco. The 49ers held LeSean McCoy to 17 rushing yards on ten carries this past Sunday.

No one buy into that 'rough match-up' against the 49ers. We all know how bad the Philly O-line is right now.

Rotoworld:

No one buy into that 'rough match-up' against the 49ers. We all know how bad the Philly O-line is right now.
Agree. Plus, the Niners are in all out mutiny mode right now.

Sabertooth said:
I don't think so no. I think Charles gets the bulk.
Define "bulk"...

Bernard as of right now gets the "bulk" of the carries too. Assuming Charles did not have to go to the locker room and the game was not in garbage time, the RB usage here reminded me of the way the Bengals deploy their backs.

If by bulk you mean Davis will only get 3-6 touches a game to give Charles a breather, then you are assuming that last night's game was an anomaly and that the only reason Davis was in there is because Reid was easing Charles back into action.

Given the results, I see no reason for Reid to go away from their game plan last night.

So this is a bit crazy, was looking at making an offer to the Charles owner. I should have done that before last night....

Anyway, Charles has on his remaining schedule the #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 rushing defenses (stats according the MFL). He also has his bye remaining. Crazy tough remaining schedule.

IMO the only reason we saw the splits we did last night were because Charles was just back from injury and then cramped up, and the game was a blowout.

Davis looked good on some runs and has good quicks for his size, but he is a far inferior pass catcher. Also, despite what the YPC stats might say, I thought Charles looked like the better runner last night with his ability to squeeze through tough spots and create something out of nothing.

If Reid's history is anything to take in to account, he likes a lead back. Davis will still get 5-10 carries a game but ideally, Andy likes having his lead back get about 18-25 touches (rush and catch) a game. I think as long as Charles is healthy, its still his show in the realm of 70-30 split.

Not every game will be a blow out. Charles is a huge difference maker...it's his show in tight games. In blowouts....they get to that point with him producing...then rest him and give Davis some work. This is IMO 70/30 type split. Charles is clearly the more talented and explosive back. It's not debatable.

I own Charles in several leagues (since his rookie year) and also have the handcuff in all but one league.....I want Charles to be Charles....and by all accounts he will be. Nice to see him back in the saddle again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread