What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles Thread: Hall of Famer? (3 Viewers)

Corey Grant got moved to the IR. Sounds like this is a depth move for the Jags. With Fournette banged up, Charles might see a few carries a week. Probably more of a boost for Yeldon who won’t have to should entire load.

Charles is depth, like Grant. What he has left, who knows. I do know Yeldon was a 2nd round pick 4 yrs ago, and has played well whenever given the chance. 

It has been three years since Charles has been a great back.  He is now two years removed from surgeries on both his knees.  He is 31, but there are great backs who produced into their 30's, and Charles was a great back, leading every NFL back in history in ypc.  I am no expert on the surgeries he had and what that has taken out of him, but it would not be shocking in Charles still has some games left in him.   

I picked him up in a league with a decent bench then realized that Kerryon and Kamara are off this week.   

Taking a wait and see attitude and starting Henry and R Freeman over him. 5 man keeper and I'm off to ana awful start. Hoping he shows something and I can get a '19 pick for him. 

How is Floyd Little in the HOF?

Little had a career rushing avg of 3.9, Charles 5.4 and has far more yards both rushing and receiving and far more TD's. So to have Little in and Charles not in is like Lynn Swann being in while the far more productive Cliff Branch isn't, yep.....makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is Floyd Little in the HOF?

Little had a career rushing avg of 3.9, Charles 5.4 and has far more yards both rushing and receiving and far more TD's. So to have Little in and Charles not in is like Lynn Swann being in while the far more productive Cliff Branch isn't, yep.....makes no sense.
I agree with you to certain extent, as I don't think Little deserves to be in the HOF.  Also, if you used solely statistics Joe Namath wouldn't be in the HOF.

I agree with you to certain extent, as I don't think Little deserves to be in the HOF.  Also, if you used solely statistics Joe Namath wouldn't be in the HOF.
What else but stats can we use when it comes to RB's?  Sure the obvious between the tackles bangers like Csonka can;t be expected to have that gaudy average per carry, that wasn't Little however. A 3.9.....weak.

I think  most can give Namath a pass because of the historical aspects of his career. The guarantee is stuff off book/movies. All of us who saw that game know the true star was Matt Snell, he won the game.

The media attention,  his swag,  ya know "Broadway", yes he gets "special" treatment, in this case it's pretty much.....what the hell put him in.

What else but stats can we use when it comes to RB's?  Sure the obvious between the tackles bangers like Csonka can;t be expected to have that gaudy average per carry, that wasn't Little however. A 3.9.....weak.

I think  most can give Namath a pass because of the historical aspects of his career. The guarantee is stuff off book/movies. All of us who saw that game know the true star was Matt Snell, he won the game.

The media attention,  his swag,  ya know "Broadway", yes he gets "special" treatment, in this case it's pretty much.....what the hell put him in.
I don't think Charles' body of work is enough. Only 5 1000 yard season and one year with double digit TDs rushing alone and one year double digit TDs rush/rec.

Lydell Mitchell and Chuck Foreman had just as good of a career, particularly Foreman and they aren't in the HOF.

I don't think Charles' body of work is enough. Only 5 1000 yard season and one year with double digit TDs rushing alone and one year double digit TDs rush/rec.

Lydell Mitchell and Chuck Foreman had just as good of a career, particularly Foreman and they aren't in the HOF.
Foreman only had 3 1000 yard seasons and a very weak 3.8 avg. And less than 6000 yards rushing with Charles over 7000.  Yes Foreman scored more.

So not sure how we could say Foreman had a better career.

Foreman only had 3 1000 yard seasons and a very weak 3.8 avg. And less than 6000 yards rushing with Charles over 7000.  Yes Foreman scored more.

So not sure how we could say Foreman had a better career.
I didn't say he had a better career, I said he had just as good of a career, or at the very least comparable.   He scored more and had 563 more yards receiving and  1600 less rushing.  Comparable.  

I didn't say he had a better career, I said he had just as good of a career, or at the very least comparable.   He scored more and had 563 more yards receiving and  1600 less rushing.  Comparable.  
What Charles did in a six year span was incredible, he had 5 1000 yard seasons and these averages a carry

6.9.........wow

6.4........wow

(6.9, 6.4, 5.9 in a three season span, the best in history) Unless the The Galloping Ghost did better, his stats...?

No RB in history his ever put that many 5 or better averages back to back for six seasons.  Hold it.....Jim Brown? (will check)

In his whole career Foreman never averaged more than a 4.4 in any season and had 5 seasons where he averaged less than 4 yards a carry. Then we have all the long runs Charles had (10.18 sprinter) that Foreman didn't.

I don't really see it actually.

Ok, Jim Brown

His best six season span, and that was vs a far inferior defender.

Charles average per carry cannot be ignored,  he's there with Marion Motley, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders with a career average of over 5 yards a carry, all of them in the HOF.

Hell, actually he had 9 seasons in a row where he averaged 5 yards or better a carry, that has gotta be the NFL record. The great Barry Sanders (nobody compares to this guy) only had two in a row.

The last 4 seasons of Foreman's career....4.1, 3.2, 2.6, 2,7.....ouch!

He was a very good player for 2, maybe 3 years.  He never led the league in rushing, but he was top 5 3x, which is ok, I guess.  He never had 10 carries in a playoff game.  He had a nice YPC, but he also fumbled a lot.  Maybe not Tiki Barber level of fumbling, but it felt like a lot to me.

Speaking of Tiki, I think he's a better HoF candidate than Carles and I think Tiki is out.

IMO, the HOF is for "the best of the best", so whenever this question arises, I ask myself if said player was ever the best at his position during his era.  This usually weeds out the stat-compilers.  

On the other end of the spectrum are the "shooting stars" -- the guys like Charles who put up some spectacular numbers over a very short time frame (Bo Jackson comes to mind).  I'm never sure if it's right to extrapolate or not.

Charles HOF candidacy comes down to how you value longevity vs peak. As a believer in peak greatness, I'd argue Charles is close to HOF worthy, I'd still say no, but he's better than a lot of guys who are in, so who knows. If anyone who had a short peak at RB goes in, it should be fellow KC Chief Priest Holmes in my opinion.

Jamaal Charles is retiring after 11 seasons in the NFL.

He will sign a one-day contract to retire with the Chiefs, who drafted him in the third round in 2008. Charles played nine of his 11 seasons in Kansas City, averaging an incredible 5.5 yards per carry over 1,332 rushing attempts while with the Chiefs. He topped 1,300 yards from scrimmage five times from 2009 to 2014 -- a torn ACL in 2011 is the only thing which prevented him from going six-for-six -- and he scored 33 total touchdowns in 2013 and 14. Charles' peak might not have been long enough for a Hall of Fame nod, but he was one of the best backs of his generation. At the least, he should be headed to the Chiefs' Ring of Honor.

SOURCE: 610 Sports Radio

Apr 30, 2019, 10:17 AM ET

He was an elite RB from 2009-2015, appearing in 86 games over that stretch (84 regular season & 2 playoff) with 2 seasons ended early due to injury.

Over that stretch his per 16 games average was 239/1307/8 rushing plus 49/414/3.6 receiving, which is a plenty big workload. He made 4 Pro Bowls and was first-team all-pro twice. He might have made a 5th Pro Bowl if the voting had been at the end of the season (he had 49/361/2 rushing in 2 games after voting ended).

He averaged 5.38 yards per carry for his carry, which is ridiculously good. It's better than Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, or Barry Sanders, and second only to Hall of Famer Marion Motley among RBs with a reasonable number of carries. That's the kind of mindblowing stat which merits Hall of Fame consideration. And that's not just a result of leaving early - he had 4 seasons with 1000 yards & 5.0 YPC, which is the 3rd most in NFL history (GOAT candidates Jim Brown & Barry Sanders each had 5; Charles was 8 yards short of joining them as he had 4.97 YPC in 2013).

You might think he fits the type of a speedy boom or bust back, but it was more just boom. He was near the top of the league in success rate, and was a bit better than average at converting in short yardage.

That stretch was similar in length to Lynch's time in Seattle, and more impressive. Unlike Lynch, Charles didn't start his career with a few solid seasons before he really hit his stride (the Buffalo years), and he didn't end his career with a couple solid seasons after his was past his prime (the Oakland years) - he had just 154 carries in total across his other 4 seasons.

I'm not sure where the HOF cutoff should be, but IMO Charles, McCoy, and Gore have the strongest case for their generation of RBs.

Users who are viewing this thread