What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Go to Bloody Mary Recipe (1 Viewer)

I'm going to have to try the jalapeno twist, but I agree on Zing Zang.  I used to think I was some sort of bloody mary master, but then that stuff came along, and I didn't see a reason to bother.

For those of you still trying to make something different, try adding banana pepper juice.  I was at an out of the way place called Pirate's Cove which people mainly access when boating around Orange Beach, Alabama.  Ordered a bloody, and then I saw the bartender pouring some fluorescent green liquid into my drink, and I stopped her so she could tell me what the hell it was.  It was part of my arsenal for those from that point forward. 

I also used 1 part Clamato, 2 parts V8 back then.

McClure's mix was horrible IMO.  Way too much pickle flavor for me, but it was different.

Pickled okra, green beans, and olives are my favorite garnishes, in that order.  Celery is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hosting a brunch for 8 for the 4th.  Is Zing Zang still the FFA consensus go to recipe?  If so, should I just follow the label instructions or are there modifications you'd recommend?

These guests are pretty discerning and I am a novice mixologist, so I appreciate any/all words of wisdom.  TIA

Hosting a brunch for 8 for the 4th.  Is Zing Zang still the FFA consensus go to recipe?  If so, should I just follow the label instructions or are there modifications you'd recommend?

These guests are pretty discerning and I am a novice mixologist, so I appreciate any/all words of wisdom.  TIA
Texas Beach is very good, better than Zing Zang IMO.  It's also vegetarian and gluten free if that's a thing for your guests.  It's also available on Amazon.

If you want to impress them go buy some local veggies and pickle them.  Whatever is in season around you right now, it'll really jazz up your Bloody no matter what mix you pick.

My wife and all her family/friends enjoy my Bloody's but I just use this mix, not Zing Zang.  It's easier to find and probably cheaper.  I never measure, but tend to make them for 2-4 people in one larger cup/small pitcher.

Don't spend a ton on Vodka.  I go this route as it's good bang for the buck.

- Pour in vodka liberally into your pitcher.  I use enough to take the meanness out of my wife but not enough to make her friend Looney Toons Lisa fall down drunk in our backyard.
- Add a healthy dose of Worcestershire sauce and a few good squeezes of Sriracha sauce.  The mix claims Bold & Spicy, but that's just for amateurs.  Seasoned drinkers will love the extra dose of heat and flavor.
- Now you add your dry spices, a few shakes of each of the following:  Onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed/salt, fresh ground black pepper and Tony Chachere's (if you don't own Tony's, we can't be friends).
- Time for citrus.  You can either use real limes/lemons or the stuff in the plastic fruit shaped thingees fine too.  A little squirt of lime or lemon or both if you're feeling saucy.  I'd say lime is more critical.  Don't overdo it, but you need some citrus.  You can also add a slice of lime to the final product.
-  Here's your variables:  Add just a skosh of dill pickle juice and a light touch of olive juice.  Maybe a half teaspoon of each.  

Give your concoction a nice stir around, and then add the Bloody mix to the brim.  Stir it all now violently like you're mad at it.  You can even shake it if you have a lid.

Line your glasses up and fill them with ice.  I add a fresh stalk of celery, neatly cut to remove the ugly bottoms and leafy tops (though some like the tops) to each glass along with a nice long sliver of fresh red bell pepper.  Red bell peppers and tomatoes are terrific bed partners.  Pour your concoction into each glass, leaving a little room at the top for some garlic or blue cheese stuffed olives or anything else requested.  I keep pickled asparagus in the fridge as an option.  My wife loves black olives in hers.  Some want some bacon.  I like a pickle.  It's like a pizza, different people like different options and combinations.  Nobody is right or wrong.

Give each glass a little once around with the fresh ground pepper and Tony's so it floats at the top and WA LA, you are sooooooooooooo money.

My wife and all her family/friends enjoy my Bloody's but I just use this mix, not Zing Zang.  It's easier to find and probably cheaper.  I never measure, but tend to make them for 2-4 people in one larger cup/small pitcher.

Don't spend a ton on Vodka.  I go this route as it's good bang for the buck.

- Pour in vodka liberally into your pitcher.  I use enough to take the meanness out of my wife but not enough to make her friend Looney Toons Lisa fall down drunk in our backyard.
- Add a healthy dose of Worcestershire sauce and a few good squeezes of Sriracha sauce.  The mix claims Bold & Spicy, but that's just for amateurs.  Seasoned drinkers will love the extra dose of heat and flavor.
- Now you add your dry spices, a few shakes of each of the following:  Onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed/salt, fresh ground black pepper and Tony Chachere's (if you don't own Tony's, we can't be friends).
- Time for citrus.  You can either use real limes/lemons or the stuff in the plastic fruit shaped thingees fine too.  A little squirt of lime or lemon or both if you're feeling saucy.  I'd say lime is more critical.  Don't overdo it, but you need some citrus.  You can also add a slice of lime to the final product.
-  Here's your variables:  Add just a skosh of dill pickle juice and a light touch of olive juice.  Maybe a half teaspoon of each.  

Give your concoction a nice stir around, and then add the Bloody mix to the brim.  Stir it all now violently like you're mad at it.  You can even shake it if you have a lid.

Line your glasses up and fill them with ice.  I add a fresh stalk of celery, neatly cut to remove the ugly bottoms and leafy tops (though some like the tops) to each glass along with a nice long sliver of fresh red bell pepper.  Red bell peppers and tomatoes are terrific bed partners.  Pour your concoction into each glass, leaving a little room at the top for some garlic or blue cheese stuffed olives or anything else requested.  I keep pickled asparagus in the fridge as an option.  My wife loves black olives in hers.  Some want some bacon.  I like a pickle.  It's like a pizza, different people like different options and combinations.  Nobody is right or wrong.

Give each glass a little once around with the fresh ground pepper and Tony's so it floats at the top and WA LA, you are sooooooooooooo money.
Seems like a lot of trouble but I do like brunch drunk so :blackdot:

clamato

fresh horseradish

garlic dill pickle juice

garlic dill pickle

salami

salt/pepper/celery salt

shot of dark beer (porter or stout)
Best bloody I ever had is at Louise’s on Mass Street in Lawrence KS. Ice, vodka, then they pull out this old pickle jar that has a pepper puree of some sort. I can only guess they aren’t talking. Heaping spoonful of that, whatever crap they shake in it. Probably an oz to two oz of Guinness. Barely enough red to overcome the Guinness. Money. The dark beer is what separates a great bloody. 

Bloody Mary Killer App: 

Generous dash or glug of A1 

If you havent tried it, do so. Thank me later. 

Just saw this thread for the first time and glad to see Zing Zang mentioned so much on here. It’s by far my favorite mix and I’ve tried a decent amount along with trying homemade. 

My tomato plants are producing heavily. I've made marinara, salsa, loaded my salads, done some canning. I have a tomato problem at the moment. So, thanks for bumping this. I've got some quality tequila handy so it's Bloody Maria's for me. Odd I never think to just juice the maters and enjoy. 

Just saw this thread for the first time and glad to see Zing Zang mentioned so much on here. It’s by far my favorite mix and I’ve tried a decent amount along with trying homemade. 
Thanks for all the feedback since the thread bump! 

I think I'll start with a test run of zing zang this weekend in prep for the event on the 4th.  I really like the idea of adding in the dark beer and will sample both with and without.  Appreciate it!

Found some of the 8oz Zing-Zang cans at Target last weekend. They are great! Since I am a Mr. Mom, I can have one nicely each morning while the kids are sleeping-in. The cans fit nicely in a tall glass with ice and a bit of cayenne or a hot sauce for the extra pop!

My problem before was that I would open a full bottle and not finish it. Since I've been having these every day, I wonder if I should return to the bottle, since the cans are a bit $$$ (6 pack was ~$6. Heading on vacation next week, I'll decide when I get back.

Found some of the 8oz Zing-Zang cans at Target last weekend. They are great! Since I am a Mr. Mom, I can have one nicely each morning while the kids are sleeping-in. The cans fit nicely in a tall glass with ice and a bit of cayenne or a hot sauce for the extra pop!

My problem before was that I would open a full bottle and not finish it. Since I've been having these every day, I wonder if I should return to the bottle, since the cans are a bit $$$ (6 pack was ~$6. Heading on vacation next week, I'll decide when I get back.
Exactly.  They fit just about right in a pint glass with ice and vodka.

Vintage Vine

I'll go about 50/50 of that with Clamato. Add some Worcestershire and some spicy pickle juice, Famous Dave's Devil's Spit usually works well for mass produced, readily available product. Add a splash of smoked Tabasco, celery salt, then whatever garnish is avail. 

Exactly.  They fit just about right in a pint glass with ice and vodka.
Well, for every morning breakfast probably shouldn't go without the vodka! Plus can't have alcohol because of meds. :cry: So sad ordering a 'Virgin Mary' at a bar or at brunch. Still works tho.

Users who are viewing this thread