What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool vs. Twitter (1 Viewer)

sweetness34

Footballguy
I've been around the SP for a few years and always enjoyed it. I remember when I'd literally check the SP 20+ times a day from early June on every year. I've always gleaned great info from all the opinions in the SP (even though I didn't post much, I'd always be lurking) - and still do. And, I've been a paid subscriber to FBG for years, so that hasn't changed either. That said, I've found Twitter is now my "go-to" resource for fantasy info (for the last couple years now...), and the SP is something I'll check maybe once a day instead of 20.

I'm not being critical of the SP in any way or complaining about the "quality of the SP", etc...etc... I still think it's a great community and a valuable resource. I've just found I don't use it like I used to. Almost sad in a way...haha.

Not sure where I'm going with this. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this shift in their FF world?

I'm relatively new to the Shark Pool and I don't really use Twitter much, but from my understanding of both, there is a huge difference. Twitter is great for quick updates. Great for finding out who's active or inactive or who is murdering who. The Shark Pool is for in depth thoughts and discussion about players. I've never seen an in depth discussion or thought on Twitter. It's just "#lookatme yo ima put up 10 billion yds dis year"

Twitter is great when I'm at a game or not in front of my computer and there's late breaking news about a player injury. The Shark Pool is where I'll come to see who Otis or Lhucks predict as value players, so I know who to avoid. Apples and Oranges.

I guess I wasn't intending to compare the two, per se. Only saying I've had a dramatic shift in how/where I get the majority of my FF info. Again, I love FBG/SP. E.G., the auction strategy thread going right now is great. But I think you'd be amazed at the quality (not just quantity) of excellent FF info that's on twitter. Granted, there's lots of crap too. It's just broadened my horizons to other sites and writers that produce great content - in addition to FBG.

For those that haven't messed with Twitter much - it's a medium that's a perfect match for FF info - IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I hate Twitter's format and hate deciphering who said what to whom, etc. So for now, forums are still #1 for me. I still check twitter and read conversations between well-known dynasty guys on twitter, etc. I just don't rely on it much.

It's clear twitter is not for everyone - which is just fine. I guess I just like it. So much so, that I hope none of my leagemates use it (though I know a couple do.) If you follow the right guys, it's awesome.

Maybe I should have said from the beginning that twitter is a great compliment to the SP...

Who are some examples of guys that you follow that have high quality fantasy discussions? I see a lot of player/prospect rankings but not much in-depth stuff.

Conn - I'm getting busy at work right now, but if you're interested, I'll DM you some when I get home later. I could give you 20-30+ easy. There are some guys out there that are doing some of the best analytics on FF. It's crazy. And, since twitter is limiting in how long each post can be (duh), that's clearly a downside to long, thorough discussions (SP clearly superior there), but you often get links to great articles.

Conn - I'm getting busy at work right now, but if you're interested, I'll DM you some when I get home later. I could give you 20-30+ easy. There are some guys out there that are doing some of the best analytics on FF. It's crazy. And, since twitter is limiting in how long each post can be (duh), that's clearly a downside to long, thorough discussions (SP clearly superior there), but you often get links to great articles.
Thanks man, I'd really like to get more into Twitter for info, a head start on good follows could really help. Maybe I'm just not following the right guys.

Conn, cool man. I'll see what I can do when I get home. I won't make any promises that twitter is better than sliced bread or anything, but it has been awesome for me.

I don't know if Faust has a twitter but if you were to just follow him on here you'd be a busy guy. I don't know how he does it.

You are right that there is great unsung FF guys on twitter with some links to great articles. I however am in the opposite boat as you. When I found the Shark Pool last year I unfollowed all of my FF people, except Schefter but I don't think he counts as FF. Lots of the stuff I was finding through Twitter ended up making it here so I still got the article (and I couple I hadn't seen) plus everyones opinion on it. Plus, in the SP everything is organized instead of the random flow of Tweets.

I'm not saying the 'Pool is better or worse, or that they can't be used in tandem but I prefer the SP.

The Shark Pool is your source for analysis and discussion.

Twitter is pretty much the best source for real time news/updates/injuries etc.

Two completely different tools IMO.

The SP is a great resource for teasing apart which 4 RBs to take in the first 4 rounds of your draft.

For good analysis and breadth of football chatter, Twitter >>>>Shark Pool

The Shark Pool is your source for analysis and discussion.

Twitter is pretty much the best source for real time news/updates/injuries etc.

Two completely different tools IMO.
This exactly, I use twitter for news and then come here to see more in depth discussion of those issues.

Twitter has definitely taken some steam off of SP (or at least my interest in it). Twitter isn't great for lengthy back and forth, but Twitter isn't just tiny 140 character updates. There are links to blogs, videos, articles, podcasts etc. It very rich and diverse.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Honestly, I hate Twitter's format and hate deciphering who said what to whom, etc. So for now, forums are still #1 for me. I still check twitter and read conversations between well-known dynasty guys on twitter, etc. I just don't rely on it much.
I coildnt agree more! Was that a retweet? Did bloom say that? Etc

Conn, cool man. I'll see what I can do when I get home. I won't make any promises that twitter is better than sliced bread or anything, but it has been awesome for me.
Twitter is good but I still check this sight way too much. Complete aside, I always thought it was CoonSKIN26, like Davy Crockett. I kept wondering why you were calling him Conn.

Ilov80s said:
Twitter has definitely taken some steam off of SP (or at least my interest in it). Twitter isn't great for lengthy back and forth, but Twitter isn't just tiny 140 character updates. There are links to blogs, videos, articles, podcasts etc. It very rich and diverse.
Exactly.

Thanks man, I'd really like to get more into Twitter for info, a head start on good follows could really help. Maybe I'm just not following the right guys.
Done.

I think the "wild, wild west" of Twitter as a place to get an edge or early info is already over. It was great two years ago but it's getting crowded now and not particularly ahead of the curve. I'm actually back here more...

Use TweetDeck and organize people in lists. Makes things a little easier if you follow a lot of people.

sweetness34 said:
There are some great follows on MofM's list.
How different is his list from yours?

You have me considering signing up for Twitter for the first time. Is it possible to follow an entire football list from someone like you or MofM with one click? Or will I have to manually add each individual Twitter account to follow myself?

Interested in seeing your list as well if you don't mind.

Thanks

twitter has a character limit. I don't mean to point out the obvious, but that really comes into play here. Do you want discussion or quick-hit news?

Mind doing the same for me?
Done.
Got room for another? Never "got" twitter myself although i do have an account.
check your DM
one more sweetness

sweetness34 said:
There are some great follows on MofM's list.
How different is his list from yours?

You have me considering signing up for Twitter for the first time. Is it possible to follow an entire football list from someone like you or MofM with one click? Or will I have to manually add each individual Twitter account to follow myself?

Interested in seeing your list as well if you don't mind.

Thanks
I am still getting used to it too, but you can go to say.... Bloom's twitter and find link called "Lists". that will be a group of members compiled in a list. Open one of the lists and you can then subscribe to that list. That is how I added many of my tweet peeps. The rest I just did manually.

I love twitter if you follow the right people. By following the team beat reporters, I get darn near play by play from training camps. In particular the Miami Dolphins this year.

Oh, and twitter can really come in handy in-season if you have first come first served FA. Info comes WAY quicker there, and then gets posted here by someone after the fact.

Winning and Whitney are exactly right. Lists are very helpful and make it easy for others to follow who you follow. For some reason, I was having trouble with my list last night, so I've been sending guys a small portion of mine. Twitter is blocked at my office, so I can't look at Whitey's lists, but I'm sure they're excellent - as is Bloom's.

I sent PM's to the guys that asked for some of mine.

Winning and Whitey are exactly right. Lists are very helpful and make it easy for others to follow who you follow. For some reason, I was having trouble with my list last night, so I've been sending guys a small portion of mine. Twitter is blocked at my office, so I can't look at Whitey's lists, but I'm sure they're excellent - as is Bloom's.

I'd love to see your list too Sweetness. I could use some more good fantasy people to follow.

Am I only person that doesn't find it difficult to follow Twitter conversations? It's not hard to tell who said something and who retweeted it.

Am I only person that doesn't find it difficult to follow Twitter conversations? It's not hard to tell who said something and who retweeted it.
Yeah, it's not that hard. I imagine people had trouble adjusting to touch tone phones too at some point.

Ran across a cool link today that briefly talks about twitter and FF. Not sure about the forum rules regarding posting links to other sites, so I won't here, but i have it if anyone is interested.

Winning and Whitey are exactly right. Lists are very helpful and make it easy for others to follow who you follow. For some reason, I was having trouble with my list last night, so I've been sending guys a small portion of mine. Twitter is blocked at my office, so I can't look at Whitey's lists, but I'm sure they're excellent - as is Bloom's.

I'd love to see your list too Sweetness. I could use some more good fantasy people to follow.
Same here Sweetness, would love to see your core list of follows.

I think you are right on the money re: Twitter. Personally, it is all about quality, not quantity otherwise you get too much noise.

Users who are viewing this thread