What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finished first in points and missed playoffs (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
This is a first for me. 12 team league, 6 teams make the playoffs. As the last game is ending I'm finishing as the top scorer for the season, with a 6-8 record, and out of the playoffs. I had more points scored against me than everyone else, by a large margin. I've been playing this game 20+ years and this is the worst victim to schedule variance outcome I've ever seen. I'm not even mad about it, I'm honestly laughing about how crazy it is.

This is a first for me. 12 team league, 6 teams make the playoffs. As the last game is ending I'm finishing as the top scorer for the season, with a 6-8 record, and out of the playoffs. I had more points scored against me than everyone else, by a large margin. I've been playing this game 20+ years and this is the worst victim to schedule variance outcome I've ever seen. I'm not even mad about it, I'm honestly laughing about how crazy it is.
That’s really bad luck. This is one of the main reasons why I appreciate that my league does victory points as opposed to straight win/loss record.

I literally had the exact same thing just happen. Needed to win this week and basically lost to Brandon Aubrey and the Vikings D. If even just Henry doesn't get that 2nd TD I'm in.

Really double sucks, as this is one of the best teams I've ever had. The weak link of my starting lineup is probably my Gibbs flex. Just crazy.

I literally had the exact same thing just happen. Needed to win this week and basically lost to Brandon Aubrey and the Vikings D. If even just Henry doesn't get that 2nd TD I'm in.

Really double sucks, as this is one of the best teams I've ever had. The weak link of my starting lineup is probably my Gibbs flex. Just crazy.
I also had Gibbs in my flex lol.

I think every dynasty league I'm in reserves at least one wildcard spot for highest points scored NOT in the playoffs. Should be a standard for fantasy I believe

Was almost there with you. It sucks. Made playoffs all 23 years granted it’s 8/12 get it.

Scored well all year. Played a team that exploded every week or bad luck. Lost 3 straight. Sneak in at 6-8.

He had Goff 8.44 yesterday was feeling good then Herbert got me 1.84

Then his kicker outscored mine 25-4 and it was all over.

Scoreboard helped tonight. Mostert/Tua under 44 sneaks me in now I need a QB

Assuming 6 teams make the playoffs in a 12 team league, the last playoff spot always goes to the highest scoring team not automatically in by record.

I can't complain about the variance, I won last year despite having 3 players in that game that got cancelled. That win and even getting there was kinda a miracle so this time it broke bad.

My team was so good too, so kinda sucks from that standpoint.

Get better.

Just kidding, that’s how it goes sometimes. It’s not the same, but last season I was the highest scoring team in my league by almost 200 pts and took 2nd place and missed the 1st place regular season bonus payout because I had by far the most points scored against. It’s even crazier because I never had to play against myself.

In one league I missed out despite being a top-scorer. I agree!

In another I'm going to sneak in because I'm in the fantasy equivalent of the NFC South. I disagree!

A well-rounded fantasy career will experience a bit of everything-- highs and lows. Chalk this one up to an experience you won't soon forget.

Same here - playoffs don't start for another week, but two games out as of right now and been eliminated for two weeks already. Draft was Hill, Adams, Andrews, Hall, Pacheco, Burrow, Herbert, Kirk, JSN, Achane, Warren, Doubs, Goff, Miami, Dicker, then get Nacua off waivers after week 1

Glad you can accept it, that would be hard to take no matter what. But yeah, I like the luck aspect. Some other year, maybe you sneak into the playoffs with 10th most points and then win it all.

Yup, seen it before so we made a rule change in our league. Seeds 1-5 are record based, 6 seed is the team with most points not in the top 5 records. Helps get the best teams in the playoffs
We made a rule change that added a prize for most points. This way if you miss the playoffs you're still getting some money. I think it was the cost of the entry fee

That's brutal man. Glad you're able to have a sense of humor about it.

Someone else mentioned the matchup vs the median. I like it. Some people feel like it takes away from the variability that makes FF fun and exciting. I think you keep some of that by still having your head to head matchup. And the Median matchup evens out some of the tough losses. It also punishes the team that wins by barely beating the 2nd lowest scoring team.

I was almost right there with you. I have the highest scoring team in this ESPN league. I've been out of the playoffs due to some similar bad luck. As of last week, moved into the 4th and final playoff spot. I started Tua and Achane (also Hill and Waddle), ended up winning 110 to 109.72 thanks to that last Tua to Achane pass. Disaster narrowly averted.

my league has two prize pools, one for the playoffs and one for total points... the randomness of the head to head adds to the enhanced simulation of fantasy football. This split has been great in the 30 years of this league.

Was almost there with you. A couple weeks ago I was in 7th (8/14 make playoffs) with the most points, but I had a couple bad weeks and ended up finishing third in points. Meanwhile, pulled off a win this week despite Herbert's injury and squeaked into the final playoff spot.

The craziest part is that I'm not even sure how I scored so many points. My team has kind of been a disaster. If Herbert doesn't return this year, four of my first five draft picks will have had season-ending injuries (Chubb, Andrews and Akers; plus my second-rounder was Higgins, who's missed a bunch). I did pick up Kyren, and have gotten seemingly unsustainable production from B-Rob and Sutton, but my team is mostly held together with toothpicks and bubble gum

we have a 14 team league. the top 7 owners get in, and the 8th person to get in is the person with the most points out of whoever didn't make the playoffs. Has seemed pretty fair for our league

That's wild. Our league takes half the prize pool and distributes for total points for that reason.

With all sympathy, sometimes it's just your turn to lose.
This.

I made the title game in my main league 4 years in a row, with 2 titles. This year, however, was just not my year. Combination of injuries, poor performances and going up against high scorers in certain weeks. It was my time to lose. I had a chance to get in with 2 wins last week but I got Deeboed/Njokued on one half and LamarJacksoned/Engramed on the other half. Doesn't help when you're kicker gets 0 and we need a APB on where Diggs is.

That's wild. Our league takes half the prize pool and distributes for total points for that reason.
That's a little too much IMO. I'd rather give the last 2 playoff spots to the highest scoring teams not in the top 4 (assuming 6 playoff teams).

I'm glad I didn't have to start this thread because this is the 1st year it has happened to MoP
Last season i scored less than I did this year and was a 1st Rd Bye in the FF Playoffs

-I've been pushing for the last playoff spot to be determined by total points scored for years
Should be noted that my FFA or points against was like 200 over most of the other teams
Buzz saw every week it seemed with players going off against me

I would be wrong to not share that we also have something like that, with what I get for total points scored I just about break even
It's just wild to know you drafted the right guys and it ends up this way. It's like there was nothing you could do to prevent it, just the way the cards were dealt

-I've heard these stories for years from others and thought "Not me" but after about 25 years its finally happened.

You'd think with over 30 years of playing fantasy football id quit making this same mistake with defenses. I get all caught up in great matchups and overlook how good an actual defense is. Smh

Hey, the best part of scoring a ton of points and missing the playoffs is that, if your league also uses points as the tie-breaker for draft order, then it's likely that you also get the worst draft pick of the non-playoff teams!

Both of my 16 team dynasty leagues have top points (after 1-5) getting lowest seed.

In one it’s the 6-seed, in the other it’s the 8-seed with total points (after 1-7).

I’m mixed about this. In the case of the 1st league, a 7-7 team is advancing with the 6-seed over 2 teams with 8 & 9 wins respectively.

In the 2nd league the 8-seed is 6-8, and is advancing over 2x 9-win teams.

I understand the importance of scoring points, but I don’t agree that it should supersede the importance of winning games.

I’d much rather see the teams that won the most advance. It also kinda screws the 1-seed by giving them a tougher 1st round matchup, assuming there’s no BYE.

In my long running redraft leagues, top points gets 10% of the pot, with no impact on standings/playoffs. I think this is a significantly better way of handing it.

Hey, the best part of scoring a ton of points and missing the playoffs is that, if your league also uses points as the tie-breaker for draft order, then it's likely that you also get the worst draft pick of the non-playoff teams!
It happened to me in one of my FFPC Dynasty leagues this year but unfortunately, this is one of the few leagues where I traded away my first round pick. I knew I was one of the strongest teams in the league but had a lack of quality depth at RB so I parlayed my 2024 1st into Pollard and Montgomery. Between Ekeler, Etienne, Pollard, Gibbs, and Monty I started the wrong three almost every week and still ended up with the most total points for the year but missed the playoffs because my team stunk up the last two weeks. Now I'm playing for the 2.01.

I made the playoffs, but I missed out on the total points title (and 1/5th pot prize $) by 5.3 total points on the year. So many instances where one TD could have gone my way, or if I'd just started X over Y in the flex back in Week 4....game of inches!

In my 10-teamer, I missed the playoffs (4 teams) despite finishing 9-5 and third in total points. Two teams finished 10-4. The other 9-5 team had more total points and got the third spot. The fourth spot goes to the team with the most victory points. The 8-6 team had one more victory point than me.

The fourth-place team in total points also missed the playoffs with a 6-8 record.

It was a weird year with six teams being stacked and four being terrible.

I also missed the playoffs as the second-highest scorer in another league. Finished seventh. The highest scorer finished sixth. Weird year. Bummer.

With all sympathy, sometimes it's just your turn to lose.
I really like this way of putting it.

Schedule variance has worked in my favor in the past and I'm sure it will again at some point in the future. I just thought it was nuts to be points leader and not in the playoffs and to have the most points against by a significant margin (since all of the points I put up, which again was the most, none of those were against me obviously). This one feels like having a full house fall to runner runner quads, just a statistically rare bad beat. But it happens once in a great while and finally happened to me.

A little more focus in the future on defense is in order.

I didn't read all the comments but this was probably said earlier. For the last 10 years or so, I have implemented some sort of where you finish in H2H and the last two teams to make the playoffs are based upon total points. Some of us have bad virtual defenses and this fixes the issue. I have rarely had anyone not like this setup and many have incorporated it into their own leagues. Just my $0,02

I barely got in the playoffs and lead in points by almost 200. Finished 7-7. 6 of my wins I had high score. 4 of my losses had high score against me. 2 losses had the 2nd highest score against me, and the other loss was the 3rd highest score against me. I played in a league once where you went H2H against every team every week. Considering there is no way to play defense in this game of fantasy football, this seems to me to be the fairest way to do things if you’re going to give playoff spots away based on overall records. In my 10 team league I figured my record this year would’ve been 87-39 which would’ve give me 1st place by a mile. The next closest team would’ve been 10 wins behind me

my good buddy @IC FBGCav helped me out with this scenario in the 20+ year i commish. he recommended and we passed as a league the following….12 team league, 3x4 team divisions. division winners are 1-2-3, 4-5 are WCs and the 6 seed is the team with the most points that is not 1-5. we love it and it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread