What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Carson Palmer underrated? (1 Viewer)

Not sure how he is more underrated then Matt Schaub.

They have virtually the same Average Draft Position. At 19 & 20.

Yet Schaub has been...

• 4008 22
  • 3966 27 (prorated to 16 games, with AJ missing almost entire season)
  • 4370 24
  • 4770 29
  • 4426 25 (prorated to 16 games)
...the past 5 years.
I like Palmer's chances of hitting 30+ TD way more than Schaub. Arian Foster has been a goal line monster whereas Arizona can't run the ball. However, last night was a good start for Schaub.
Also, AJ still = uncoverable. 16 targets, 12 receptions.

Every team knows what's coming, but none of them can stop it.

Yet Schaub has been...

• 4008 22
  • 4370 24
  • 4770 29
...the past 5 years.
I like Palmer's chances of hitting 30+ TD way more than Schaub. Arian Foster has been a goal line monster whereas Arizona can't run the ball. However, last night was a good start for Schaub.

I don't disagree, but i wouldn't draw too many conclusions from performing against the Chargers DBs.

Yet Schaub has been...

• 4008 22
  • 4370 24
  • 4770 29
...the past 5 years.

The chosen one is not exactly chopped liver either..

Yet Schaub has been...

• 4008 22
  • 4370 24
  • 4770 29
...the past 5 years.
I agree with that, but I also think that Houston doesn't want to wear down Foster like they have in the past.They are planning for the playoffs. I also like Houstons pass blocking a lot better.

Yet Schaub has been...

• 4008 22
  • 4370 24
  • 4770 29
...the past 5 years.
I agree with that, but I also think that Houston doesn't want to wear down Foster like they have in the past.They are planning for the playoffs. I also like Houstons pass blocking a lot better.
Schaub is certainly a good value QB for this season as well. Both have excellent weapons to work with.

Gianmarco and others made some really good posts about Schaub in another thread around here somewhere.

Yet Schaub has been...

• 4008 22
  • 4370 24
  • 4770 29
...the past 5 years.
Well, Tate wasn't healthy last year. This year they've got them both. They can keep Arian fresh without having to pass the ball. Houston will run 50% of the time if they can. Kubiak can put together a productive passing attack when the situation forces him to, but he wants to win by running the ball. He sits on 10 points leads in the 3rd quarter. As an Andre Johnson fan, it's tough to watch.

I am not sure if I would go that far KR but I like the optimism.

All 3 WR should be solid guys to have on your roster as well. These are the best options they have.

Palmer was sacked 4 times out of 40 attempts however. That is a 9% sack rate and too high. If he were sacked 4 times/game for 16 games that would be 64. I do not know if he can stay healthy if they do not improve on this.
:goodposting:

TWO bad words in Arizona - Levi Brown

Last edited by a moderator:

All 3 WR should be solid guys to have on your roster as well. These are the best options they have.

Palmer was sacked 4 times out of 40 attempts however. That is a 9% sack rate and too high. If he were sacked 4 times/game for 16 games that would be 64. I do not know if he can stay healthy if they do not improve on this.

It's also worth noting that if Palmer throws the ball 40 times a game that would be 640 attempts. I suspect both numbers (att & sacks) will decrease. If they don't, and he survives 64 sacks, 640 attempts probably nets him a top 5 QB finish.

It's also worth noting that if Palmer throws the ball 40 times a game that would be 640 attempts. I suspect both numbers (att & sacks) will decrease. If they don't, and he survives 64 sacks, 640 attempts probably nets him a top 5 QB finish.
Since we are doing math problems, consider that on Carson's 23rd sack of the season last year, came early in week 15. He got his ribs broken on that sack and ended up on IR. Do the math on 4 sacks per game, and you can surmise one the of 49ers LB's will put him out of his misery in week 6.

Since we are doing math problems, consider that on Carson's 23rd sack of the season last year, came early in week 15. He got his ribs broken on that sack and ended up on IR. Do the math on 4 sacks per game, and you can surmise one the of 49ers LB's will put him out of his misery in week 6.
Faulty logic. So if a guy tears his ACL the first time he gets tackled we should assume he'll get injured every time he is tackled?

He was once sacked 36 times in a season and did not miss time, so how do you extrapolate that? Hint: you don't. This is nonsense.

HA! not faulty logic at all. I'm sure in his younger days, Carson could run a 4.7 forty too. He's no spring chicken anymore, and can't elude the rush like he used to. I give him credit for getting the ball out of his hands quick, but anyone dismissing the 4 sack game to start things in the new black and blue division of the NFC West is sipping the spiked kool aid hard. I was joking when I said he'd go down in week 6, no one can predict injury. All I'm saying is that it's only a matter of time.

FF Ninja said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
FF Ninja said:

Faulty logic. So if a guy tears his ACL the first time he gets tackled we should assume he'll get injured every time he is tackled?

He was once sacked 36 times in a season and did not miss time, so how do you extrapolate that? Hint: you don't. This is nonsense.
Just to be clear, pro rating anything based off of one game is faulty logic.

Carson Palmer has done a good job of avoiding sacks in the past and can do so again. He needs to in order to stay healthy all season. I did some analysis of the sack numbers he has taken in his career up to this point earlier on in the thread. I think Palmer even if he does get sacked 40-50 times this season (which is higher than his career sacks/season) he could still stay healthy and be very productive.

40 would be 2.5 sacks/game. 50 would be 3.1 sacks/game. The number of sacks does not reflect the number of times he is getting hit, which is much higher.

I do think he could stay healthy and have a productive season even if he is sacked at this level (which is a bit higher than he ever has been sacked in his career before). But the Cardinals need to collectively bring those numbers down or else he may get injured at some point.

Good news is Drew Stanton while not as good as Palmer can likely do a decent job if this happens. So if Palmer is important to your team you should be looking to add Stanton as insurance.

In my main league, Palmer ranks as the #30 QB in terms of ppg. That includes guys that have only a few games played, but the point is that so far, he has not been a fantasy game changer.

In my main league, Palmer ranks as the #30 QB in terms of ppg. That includes guys that have only a few games played, but the point is that so far, he has not been a fantasy game changer.
single handedly destroyed me in a league this past week, Im sure vs Jax is the outlier game.

single handedly destroyed me in a league this past week, Im sure vs Jax is the outlier game.
That was his only week in the Top 10 this season. His weekly rankings have been: 15, 23, 32, 20, 27, 12, 24, 13, 12, and 3.

That was his only week in the Top 10 this season. His weekly rankings have been: 15, 23, 32, 20, 27, 12, 24, 13, 12, and 3.
On the positive side of things, his best weekly ranking in his first 5 games was 15th and over his last 5 games he has performed much better.

Rotoworld:

Carson Palmer is on the injury report this week with a right (throwing) elbow issue.

In the link below, the Arizona Republic has embedded a picture of Palmer's elbow getting bent awkwardly while trying to throw during the first quarter of the loss at Philadelphia. He finished the game and threw three touchdowns, but also underthrew a few balls. It's a situation worth monitoring as the frayed ligaments in Palmer's elbow stemming from a 2008 injury have plagued him for years.

Source: Arizona Republic

Rotoworld:

Carson Palmer remained limited in Thursday's practice, and "didn't throw as much" as the other quarterbacks in the portion of practice open to the media.

According to AzCardinals.com, Palmer attempted "nothing but soft throws," while Drew Stanton spent some team with the first-team offense. Palmer was wearing his helmet, which is typically a good sign. For now, owners shouldn't take Palmer's status for granted, but he still sounds more likely than not to suit up. His status will be updated no later than Friday afternoon.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Carson Palmer says his elbow injury affected his play in Sunday's loss to the Eagles.

Palmer has been extremely limited in this week's practices, attempting only "soft throws" in Thursday's session. It's certainly a concern heading into Sunday's game against the Rams, but for now, Palmer appears likely to start. What he's able to do on Friday will be key.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter

Any news on Palmer playing?

Any thoughts on how his condition will affect the Cards' skill players?

I've been treating this as all systems go but maybe I've been wrong for thinking that way?

Rotoworld:

Carson Palmer (elbow, questionable) took all the snaps at Saturday's walkthrough and is expected to start in Week 14 against the Rams.
Palmer was limited in practice throughout the week with an elbow injury, but is on track to play Sunday in a must-win game for Arizona. Despite his recent hot streak, he won't be a recommended streaming option in standard fantasy leagues at less than 100 percent. Palmer is averaging 345 passing yards and has seven touchdowns over his last three games. Rotoworld ranks him as the No. 17 quarterback for Week 14.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Any news on Palmer playing?

Any thoughts on how his condition will affect the Cards' skill players?

I've been treating this as all systems go but maybe I've been wrong for thinking that way?
I've been a bit nervous too. Going back and forth on starting Larry fitz. Since it's a must win for them I'm sure the cards are going to rely on their best player, especially with Palmer a little banged up. So my 2 starts for the cardinals will be Floyd and Fitzgerald. I can't see them relying on their running game in a must win situation

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians clarified Monday that Carson Palmer does not have a high ankle sprain.

Palmer suffered a low-grade ankle sprain in Sunday's overtime win over the Titans. He played through it and finished out the game, and should be fine for Week 16 at Seattle. Palmer has been a high-end QB2 in fantasy this season. The Cards are in danger of being without Larry Fitzgerald (concussion), however.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Arizona Republic confirms Carson Palmer is expected to remain the Cardinals' starting quarterback in 2014.

The Cards are also expected to retain Drew Stanton as Palmer's backup. Palmer turned 34 years old in December, so it's very conceivable that Arizona uses a top-100 draft pick on a quarterback. Palmer posted a 16:8 TD-to-INT ratio over the final nine games of 2013 and wound up posting a six-year high in completion rate (63.3) and career high in passing yards (4,274) under Bruce Arians. Palmer will be viewed as a fairly low-ceiling QB2 in 2014 fantasy circles.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians believes Carson Palmer has "plenty of juice left in the tank," and could play another 2-3 seasons.

"He's in great condition," Arians gushed. "I would think he could play until 36, 37 easily." Palmer turned 34 in December. It's debatable how much "juice" Palmer truly has left. He occasionally appeared done in 2013, and finished with a 24:22 TD:INT ratio. His "mobility" is nonexistent. He's still by far the Cardinals' best option, however. It would be far from surprising if GM Steve Keim drafted Arians a mid-round quarterback to develop.

Source: Vittorio Tafur on Twitter

There was a stretch towards the end of last season where he was one of the highest scoring fantasy qbs in the nfl. He sucked against seattle, obviously, and was hardly perfect, but a decent qb with awesome receivers and crappy running game is going to put up borderline startable numbers. Great bargain backup in larger dynasty leagues and a good pickup in redraft at the right price.

There was a stretch towards the end of last season where he was one of the highest scoring fantasy qbs in the nfl. He sucked against seattle, obviously, and was hardly perfect, but a decent qb with awesome receivers and crappy running game is going to put up borderline startable numbers. Great bargain backup in larger dynasty leagues and a good pickup in redraft at the right price.
I admit Palmer did a little better than I expected, but that was mostly due to the fact he played in every game this year (which was a rarity in prior seasons). Even though he ranked 8th in the NFL in passing yards and 12th in passing TD, he still only ranked as the 17th best fantasy QB in total points and 22nd in fantasy ppg (for QBs that played in at least 8 games).

IMO, most weeks he really isn't a fantasy QB1. But he is a decent fantasy back up, QBBC candidate, and bye week filler. Last year, he averaged almost 12 and a half points less than Peyton, which could have killed you right there in a head to head match up. Granted, only one team in each league had Peyton, but he averaged 3-4 points less than most fantasy QB1s.

I admit Palmer did a little better than I expected, but that was mostly due to the fact he played in every game this year (which was a rarity in prior seasons). Even though he ranked 8th in the NFL in passing yards and 12th in passing TD, he still only ranked as the 17th best fantasy QB in total points and 22nd in fantasy ppg (for QBs that played in at least 8 games).IMO, most weeks he really isn't a fantasy QB1. But he is a decent fantasy back up, QBBC candidate, and bye week filler. Last year, he averaged almost 12 and a half points less than Peyton, which could have killed you right there in a head to head match up. Granted, only one team in each league had Peyton, but he averaged 3-4 points less than most fantasy QB1s.
I think last year has predictive value, but not for the same things you're suggesting. Palmer looked MUCH stronger in the second half of year one with the Cardinals than in the first half:Palmer first eight games: 1903 yards, 10 TDs, 14 interceptions

Palmer last eight games: 2371 yards, 14 TDs, 8 interceptions

Palmer last eight NON SEAHAWK games: 2365 yards, 15 TDs, 5 interceptions

Why am I more interested in second half games? Because he's starting with a new team, a new coach, an emerging WR... lots of things that could trend upwards for 2014. Sure, he's 34, and it's a little late in his career for him to put up his best season. But Manning sucked for the first few games of 2013. Then once he felt more confident in his arm strength, and had learned his receivers a little, they started to click. I don't think Palmer's anywhere close to Manning, but I do think that if an early slump can happen to Manning when he joins a new team with stud receivers, it can certainly happen to Palmer when he joins a new team with stud receivers.

Why do I break out NON SEAHAWK games? Because you're not going to start Carson Palmer against the Seahawks unless he's literally your only QB. It's just not happening. If you want to call that a QBBC, that's fine, but I'm not benching him against the 49ers (he had 705 yards, 3 TDs and 3 INTs in their two meetings). Against the Rams, he had 696/3/1. But in two games against the Seahawks, he had just 436 yards, 2 TDs and SIX interceptions. So you can bench him with confidence for that matchup.

And I love the team around him. The Cards are trending upwards. The defense looks legit. Fitzgerald has to be as excited as he's been since Kurt Warner. Floyd is emerging. The team believes in Arians. For the first time in a long time, there are real reasons for optimism for Cards fans, and one of those reasons is that the passing game had some great momentum going in the second half of the season last year. It sucks that they play the Seahawks twice, and play a bunch of other tough defenses, too, but that's why you can get him so cheaply - which makes him a much better PPG play at the end of the season than a guy who you would start for all 16 games.

Carson Palmer won't complain if Cardinals draft QBBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told Around The League at February's combine that Carson Palmer has the skills to serve as Arizona's quarterback until he's 37 years old.

Palmer, 34, doesn't deny that, but told reporters Tuesday that he'll understand if Arians and friends draft a young signal-caller in next month's draft.

"If you are in a position to draft the best player on your board ... and (a quarterback) is the best player on the board, you are not only making your team better by creating competition but you are helping out the future," Palmer told the team's official website.

"I know I'm not going to play forever. It's hard for us players to admit that."

Palmer is coming off a season that saw him pass for a career-high 4,274 yards and more touchdowns (24) than he's tossed since 2009. On the flipside, the former Bengal and Raider absorbed an eye-popping 41 sacks, and his 22 picks were the most of his 10-year run in the pros.

The Cardinals are high on Drew Stanton as Palmer's backup, and Arians in February shot down the idea of drafting another arm.

"If I thought there was a guy that was in (Ben Roethlisberger's or Andrew Luck's) caliber, yes," said the coach, "but I don't think quarterbacks learn anything holding clipboards."

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah suspects otherwise, suggesting in his latest mock that Arizona will dial up Fresno State's Derek Carr if he's available with the 20th pick. We'll find out soon enough what Arians thinks of this year's collection of prospects.

The latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast" covers the Aldon Smith arrest and analyzes the offseason movers and shakers in the NFC East and NFC South.

I think my projections were pretty good on Carson Palmer last year. But perhaps better without subtracting the sack yardage.

540-610pa 330-390com 3800-4400yds 20-27Td if healthy 16 games.

He finished with 572pa 362com 4274yds 24Td 41 sacks 22 interceptions.

Palmer had career highs in sacks taken and interceptions in 2013. With the improvement to LT and the return of LG Cooper I see both of those numbers going down as they give Palmer better protection than last season.

So I am expecting pretty much a repeat performance but with a few more TD possibly and less interceptions.

The Cardinals lost Andre Roberts but added John Carlson. I think Ellington could see more targets than last season but I am not entirely sure where Roberts targets will go. Perhaps Floyd will get a few more.

palmer's the kind of guy where the end could come quickly. maybe he'll be decent in a re-draft next year but i don't see his career lasting too much longer.

Ugh, I'm back on board. The addition of Veldheer and Cooper should really go a long way towards keeping him upright (Larsen from TB might be the third new starter for this porous line). Familiarity with the offense will help. Familiarity with the WRs will help. And hopefully Fitzgerald is healthy this year. Two different hamstring injuries really slowed him down a lot.

Ugh, I'm back on board. The addition of Veldheer and Cooper should really go a long way towards keeping him upright (Larsen from TB might be the third new starter for this porous line). Familiarity with the offense will help. Familiarity with the WRs will help. And hopefully Fitzgerald is healthy this year. Two different hamstring injuries really slowed him down a lot.
Make room for one more seat. He could be this year's Philip Rivers.

Obviously Palmer and AZ will have to face each of the NFC West teams twice so those are tough matchups and therefore unlikely to be a plug-and-play every week QB1.

But other than that he has a nice combination of soft defenses and shootout potential (Giants, Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys, Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Lions).

Palmer has significantly more upside than anyone else currently being ranked below QB18 or so.

Rotoworld:

Carson Palmer - QB - Cardinals

Carson Palmer says the offense is "light years" ahead of where it was at last season.

At this time last year, Bruce Arians was installing a new scheme that had the players "swimming." That showed early in the season, as the Cardinals averaged 20.0 points per game in Weeks 1-8 before coming on to post 27.3 in Weeks 9-17. Arians is among the game's brightest passing-game minds and has plenty of weapons to work with in Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Ellington. Only a complete faceplant from the flickering Palmer will keep this offense from taking a step forward.

May 26 - 11:33 AM

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians said Carson Palmer (shoulder) has a "nerve that just won't fire," and it "could be a day, or it could be a month" before he returns to the lineup.

It gels with what Arians said Monday. Palmer is anywhere from day-to-day to week-to-week. Consider him highly questionable for Week 3 against the 49ers at 4:05 PM ET. Drew Stanton will continue to start for however long Palmer is out. Stanton is merely a game manager with accuracy issues.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter
Sep 16 - 8:44 PM

Didn't read this latest news until right now, but feeling even better about a redraft trade I just made

Gave: Andre Johnson & Palmer

Got: Spiller & Cam Newton (needed a QB as RG3 was my starter and needed RB help)

I know, you all care so much about my team. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew Stanton on track to start for Cardinals vs. 49ers:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000396458/article/drew-stanton-on-track-to-start-for-cardinals-vs-49ers

After missing last week's game with a nerve injury in his throwing shoulder, Carson Palmer opened this week by acknowledging there is no timetable for his return.

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians revealed Wednesday that backup Drew Stanton is on track to start versus the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday.

"It hasn't changed today," Arians said, via the San Jose Mercury News. "We'll be status quo with Drew as the starter, Logan (Thomas) as the backup and we'll still be waiting on Carson."

Palmer remains hopeful of playing, even if progress remains slow.

"I wish I had a concrete answer or somebody knew exactly what to do to wake it up, but that's not known," Palmer said Wednesday, via the team's official website. "It's just time. The only answer is time, and I'm hoping it doesn't take any more time."

Appearing on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday, Arians conceded that Palmer's return "could be a day, could be a month."

If the nerve doesn't start firing in the next day or two, it will be Stanton under center against Jim Harbaugh's squad.

profootballfocus has a story about it by a Dr..basically if he's out week 3 , worry bigtime..it could be a season ending thing..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/17/fantasy-injury-ward-week-3/

Carson Palmer missed Week 2 due to a nerve injury in his right shoulder, his throwing arm. Mike Jurecki of Foxs Sports tweeted: “Palmer injured his shoulder [in Week 1] when he was flushed out of the pocket running to left exposed his right shoulder, needed to go down.”

If Palmer’s nerve injury was indeed caused from a collision to his right shoulder, he likely suffered a brachial plexus injury. Acute brachial plexus injuries caused from compression or stretching of the nerves are often called “stingers” or “burners.” Most of these injuries last only a few minutes. Some last much longer. If the symptoms last longer than two weeks, it is referred to as chronic burner syndrome. A symptom of this syndrome is weakness of the involved extremity—similar to the symptoms Palmer is experiencing.

The severity of this injury is categorized into three grades. A grade-I injury lasts from a few hours to at most two weeks. A grade-II injury consists of motor weakness that lasts for longer than two weeks. Typically 80 to 90 percent of the cases recover by six weeks. A grade-III injury consists of extremity weakness that lasts longer than one year, and could involve permanent motor weakness

If Palmer indeed does have chronic burner syndrome—which is still only an educated guess to his diagnosis—his return to play is difficult to predict. However, if he does not play in Week 3, he likely has a more severe peripheral nerve injury (grade II or III). That would give him a poor prognosis for the rest of his season. If he misses Week 3, his fantasy owners should be ready to hit the panic button.

According to RW Palmer won't pay week 3. With the above article in mind, looks like his season is in jeopardy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2550/carson-palmer
says 80 to 90% of cases recover by 6 weeks.
You misunderstood the article. Carson has an injury that comes in 3 grades in terms of severity:

A grade-I injury lasts from a few hours to at most two weeks.

A grade-II injury consists of motor weakness that lasts for longer than two weeks. Typically 80 to 90 percent of the cases recover by six weeks.

A grade-III injury consists of extremity weakness that lasts longer than one year, and could involve permanent motor weakness

If Palmer indeed does have chronic burner syndrome—which is still only an educated guess to his diagnosis—his return to play is difficult to predict. However, if he does not play in Week 3, he likely has a more severe peripheral nerve injury (grade II or III). That would give him a poor prognosis for the rest of his season. If he misses Week 3, his fantasy owners should be ready to hit the panic button.

According to that, if he has a grade II injury he could be ok within 6 weeks. However, if he has a grade III injury, he could need a year to recover, if he ever does. By missing week 3, if the injury is what they suspect, it's likely he has at least a grade II injury and maybe even a grade III.

According to RW Palmer won't pay week 3. With the above article in mind, looks like his season is in jeopardy.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2550/carson-palmer
says 80 to 90% of cases recover by 6 weeks.
You misunderstood the article. Carson has an injury that comes in 3 grades in terms of severity:

A grade-I injury lasts from a few hours to at most two weeks.

A grade-II injury consists of motor weakness that lasts for longer than two weeks. Typically 80 to 90 percent of the cases recover by six weeks.

A grade-III injury consists of extremity weakness that lasts longer than one year, and could involve permanent motor weakness

According to that, if he has a grade II injury he could be ok within 6 weeks. However, if he has a grade III injury, he could need a year to recover, if he ever does. By missing week 3, if the injury is what they suspect, it's likely he has at least a grade II injury and maybe even a grade III.
If he has a grade III, almost 35 years old, I think his starting quarterback career is over.

Users who are viewing this thread