What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Carson Palmer underrated? (1 Viewer)

That sucks. I know most people think he was washed up this year, but in reality the passing protection was the worst it's been since he came to Arizona. He's still got a cannon.

:kicksrock:  ...I think the final answer to this thread's question was "yes."  The guy played on the Bengals when they were a train wreck of a team with a WR1 who couldn't learn his routes on his next team. The only time he had a competent OC and surrounding players he blew up, but unfortunately that wasn't until age 35. His numbers in Oakland when he basically had 1 week to learn the playbook and DHB was his #1 WR were actually shockingly good.

That sucks. I know most people think he was washed up this year, but in reality the passing protection was the worst it's been since he came to Arizona. He's still got a cannon.

:kicksrock:  ...I think the final answer to this thread's question was "yes."  The guy played on the Bengals when they were a train wreck of a team with a WR1 who couldn't learn his routes on his next team. The only time he had a competent OC and surrounding players he blew up, but unfortunately that wasn't until age 35. His numbers in Oakland when he basically had 1 week to learn the playbook and DHB was his #1 WR were actually shockingly good.
Among 79 QBs who have thrown at least 3,000 passes since the merger, Palmer ranks 14th in QB rating and 15th in ANY/A. That's very good even after you adjust for this century's league-wide upward trends.

He just happened to have the misfortune to be within 4 years of age of the guys sitting at Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10.

Among 79 QBs who have thrown at least 3,000 passes since the merger, Palmer ranks 14th in QB rating and 15th in ANY/A. That's very good even after you adjust for this century's league-wide upward trends.

He just happened to have the misfortune to be within 4 years of age of the guys sitting at Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10.
If memory serves, he also elected to not have Tommy John surgery after an elbow injury which seemed to really impact him for a year or two.

fwiw, Palmer denying rumors. And says house not for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking Tuesday, Carson Palmer said he has "no idea" if 2017 will be his final season.

Palmer is headed into his age-37 campaign. Riddled with injury throughout his 14-year career, he's indeed likely on his last legs. In an attempt to keep him fresh, the Cardinals are easing him into the offseason program. Palmer has eliminated throws in March and April, and will receive routine off days throughout the year. With both Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald on the brink of retirement, the Cardinals' current offensive core is about to age out.

Source: Kyle Odegard on Twitter

Coach speak. 

Cards will be competitive this year again, have a quality stable of receivers, and one of the better O-lines in the conference, if not the NFL.

They have traditionally been a pass-heavy offense but I imagine some of the gameplan to save Palmer down the stretch is shifting that philosophy to be even more run heavy given that DJ has proven he's not just a stud but one that can handle a heavy workload. Having a guy like Iupati, a quality run-blocker, to road grade in front of you makes the shift easier.

Sub 4K PY, sub 25 PTD, dropping Palmer from around Top 15 to just  inside Top 25.  Palmer has the squad and veteran wiles to definitely be a comeback factor, but my money is on the under, and for me, at least, makes other backup QB2s with upside (like Dalton or Stafford) more appealing to me.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Coach speak. 

Cards will be competitive this year again, have a quality stable of receivers, and one of the better O-lines in the conference, if not the NFL.

They have traditionally been a pass-heavy offense but I imagine some of the gameplan to save Palmer down the stretch is shifting that philosophy to be even more run heavy given that DJ has proven he's not just a stud but one that can handle a heavy workload. Having a guy like Iupati, a quality run-blocker, to road grade in front of you makes the shift easier.

Sub 4K PY, sub 25 PTD, dropping Palmer from around Top 15 to just  inside Top 25.  Palmer has the squad and veteran wiles to definitely be a comeback factor, but my money is on the under, and for me, at least, makes other backup QB2s with upside (like Dalton or Stafford) more appealing to me.
Really going out on a limb there to prefer the consensus QB14 or QB17 over QB21  ;)   

I kid, I know you probably weren't looking at an ADP when you made the comment, but the point I'm eventually getting to is that I think Palmer is excellent value at QB21. Things fell apart for the Cards last year, but they are returning 4 of 5 "starters" from last year - Mathis retired but the guy who subbed in for him for 15 games is returning. If the 5 starters can stay healthy, this could be a top unit. And people forget that Palmer finished 5th in fantasy points in 2015 yet ranked just 13th in pass attempts (even more impressive from a guy who doesn't run). If John Brown is really healthy and Jaron Brown can replace Floyd, I don't see why he can't surpass 4k and 30 PTD again. It only took him 538 passes to hit 4671 and 35 in 2015, so 4,000 and 30 should be within reach.

And not to derail this, but I'd like to advise you against Dalton. He just lost his best two offensive linemen. I know adding Ross has increased some people's interest in Dalton, but if Ross won't have time to get open before Dalton gets hit, it won't matter. Additionally, Green, Eifert, and Ross are not exactly the most durable guys.

Speaking about Carson Palmer, David Johnson said "his arm is definitely feeling good."

"His arm was so fresh I actually had to get stitches in my finger," Johnson quipped. Entering his age-37 campaign, Palmer will never regain his early-career arm strength, but it's good news he's feeling "fresh" after an offseason designed to keep him as such. With 4.34 speedster John Brown back to full health and the Cardinals more aware of Palmer's limitations, a bounce-back is a realistic possibility.

Related: John Brown, David Johnson

Source: NFL.com

Jul 22 - 10:53 AM

So Andrew Luck fell to me last night and I just couldn't pass on him. Thinking about Carson as a potential early season replacement off the wire. His early season schedule looks juicy:

at Detroit

at Indianapolis

Dallas

San Fran

Anyone else buying Carson for the first month?

So Andrew Luck fell to me last night and I just couldn't pass on him. Thinking about Carson as a potential early season replacement off the wire. His early season schedule looks juicy:

at Detroit

at Indianapolis

Dallas

San Fran

Anyone else buying Carson for the first month?
definitely buying Palmer this year.

Where did you get Luck?

Where did you get Luck?
Glad I'm not the only one. So it's a two keeper league, and they're kept in whichever round they were originally drafted in, so it's not black and white really, but I ended up with Luck in the 7th. He was the 11th QB off the board (counting Brady and Cam as keepers), which I thought was crazy. Carr and Dak went ahead of him, I was all over him at that point. 

Where did you get Luck?
Anyone else going with Palmer tomorrow? He does seem like he could be a nice option for platooning this year, especially early on.  I think this could be a good strategy, but week one is always so uncertain. 

Anyone else going with Palmer tomorrow? He does seem like he could be a nice option for platooning this year, especially early on.  I think this could be a good strategy, but week one is always so uncertain. 
I think I'm starting him in a couple leagues. I really loved the Palmer/Luck combo this year. Like the guy above mentioned, Palmer's early schedule meshes very well with Luck's expected missed time.

:hey:

Starting him this week. Platooning with Rivers

Went cheap on QBs in my auction and have the same combo.  Hoping they both play more like they did in 2015 as opposed to 2016.

If the Cards can protect him I think Palmer has one more good year left.  But that's a big if.  

Starting him today and wishing for the best.

Went cheap on QBs in my auction and have the same combo.  Hoping they both play more like they did in 2015 as opposed to 2016.

If the Cards can protect him I think Palmer has one more good year left.  But that's a big if.  

Starting him today and wishing for the best.
Rivers was 6th in scoring last yr with mostly poop to throw to for most of the season. I think (hope) he's criminally underrated this yr 

Own Palmer in two leagues. In one, he's my Luck fill-in. The other, he's in a platoon  with Wentz. Feeling reasonably confident about both setups, especially early on the season. If he caps the need despite his schedule, I'll just fall back on streaming.

2 QBs, 8 team league, starting Palmer and Bradford and benching Rivers. I got both Palmer and Bradford at the end of the draft, and the value for the first few weeks looks incredible.

Obviously when it's week 7 and Bradford is hurt, Palmer is old and bad, and half of the LAC o-line has contracted E. coli, I'll be looking a lot dumber. 

2 QBs, 8 team league, starting Palmer and Bradford and benching Rivers. I got both Palmer and Bradford at the end of the draft, and the value for the first few weeks looks incredible.

Obviously when it's week 7 and Bradford is hurt, Palmer is old and bad, and half of the LAC o-line has contracted E. coli, I'll be looking a lot dumber. 
Or before the end of week one....

Trust me, I feel your pain. Looks like Bad Palmer is here to stay. 

So, with DJ probably out for some time... is Palmer untouchable? He looked bad (as opposed to unlucky). And the weapons on that team are, outside Fitz, not really dependable. 

On the other hands, next week is against the Colts. That's very tempting. I'm leaning towards starting Palmer again in week 2 and pairing him with heavy drinking. 

So, with DJ probably out for some time... is Palmer untouchable? He looked bad (as opposed to unlucky). And the weapons on that team are, outside Fitz, not really dependable. 

On the other hands, next week is against the Colts. That's very tempting. I'm leaning towards starting Palmer again in week 2 and pairing him with heavy drinking. 
The thing about playing the Colts this year is your best scoring opportunity is when their offense is on the field. 

On a scale of 2014 Brady to 2015 Peyton, I'm leaning toward the Peyton end. I own him in two leagues; in one, he's my Luck stand-in, so I have no choice but to start him this week. In the other, it's between him and Wentz. I'm going to let it play out over the next couple days, but I'm leaning Wentz. This is a tough QB-scoring league (35yds=1pt, TDs=4pts, INTs=-2.5pts) so if a QB really craps the bed, you could be looking at a negative score; in fact, that's what Palmer was until his garbage TD last week.

Users who are viewing this thread