What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Carson Palmer underrated? (1 Viewer)

I'm looking at 6 pt passing TD league so maybe that changes it a bit. Palmer has a really nice schedule though. Rams, Lions, Steelers, Browns, Ravens up next. I don't expect any of those teams to slow down Zona. Maybe I should revise my previous statement to QB1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, he still put up nice passing stats in a game they didn't need to pass yesterday. That means a lot to me. If healthy, he's underrated for sure.

Hasn't lost a game the past two years (9-0).

His pro-rated numbers over that span are 4318/37/9.

Hasn't lost a game the past two years (9-0).

His pro-rated numbers over that span are 4318/37/9.
Wow. The guy always had talent but that injury against the Steelers in the playoffs really seemed to alter the trajectory of his career. Glad he's found himself in Arizona.

It looks like we can definitively answer the question this thread poses with "yes"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/16/pro-why-carson-palmer-is-nfls-no-1-qb-right-now/

I'd bet that what he's doing now, probably only 1-2 other QBs could do:

Arizona head coach Bruce Arians likes to attack deep down the field, which makes his system a rare throwback in a league that is becoming ever more horizontal when it comes to stretching a defense. Brady averages 7.7 yards down the field with every pass attempt. The league average depth of target is 8.7. Palmer’s average depth of target is a league-leading 11.5 yards.

He is attacking the intermediate and deep levels of the defense with an unheard-of efficiency, despite an offensive line that sees him pressured on 42.2 percent of his dropbacks – the third-most in the NFL.

It looks like we can definitively answer the question this thread poses with "yes"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/16/pro-why-carson-palmer-is-nfls-no-1-qb-right-now/

I'd bet that what he's doing now, probably only 1-2 other QBs could do:

Arizona head coach Bruce Arians likes to attack deep down the field, which makes his system a rare throwback in a league that is becoming ever more horizontal when it comes to stretching a defense. Brady averages 7.7 yards down the field with every pass attempt. The league average depth of target is 8.7. Palmer’s average depth of target is a league-leading 11.5 yards.

He is attacking the intermediate and deep levels of the defense with an unheard-of efficiency, despite an offensive line that sees him pressured on 42.2 percent of his dropbacks – the third-most in the NFL.
That is so crazy good. I can't believe the matchups I have rolled him into and he has passed with flying colors. Easily the QB sleeper pick of the draft.

I'm assuming everyone who owns Palmer is rolling with him tonight, correct? Anyone worried about a RB heavy scheme on TNF since the Viks are without many of their top defenders? I keep seeing that Arians doesn't take his foot off the gas, yet they've also talked about limiting Palmer's throwing reps in practice to preverve his arm down the stretch. I'm not 100% confident that Palmer will throw for 300 yards and 2 or 3 TDs tonight unless somehow it turns into a shootout, but that's what I'll probably need from my QB to win this week in the first playoff round.

I'm assuming everyone who owns Palmer is rolling with him tonight, correct? Anyone worried about a RB heavy scheme on TNF since the Viks are without many of their top defenders? I keep seeing that Arians doesn't take his foot off the gas, yet they've also talked about limiting Palmer's throwing reps in practice to preverve his arm down the stretch. I'm not 100% confident that Palmer will throw for 300 yards and 2 or 3 TDs tonight unless somehow it turns into a shootout, but that's what I'll probably need from my QB to win this week in the first playoff round.
The guy has less than 2 TDs in only 3 games all year. He's thrown for over 300 in 8 of 12 games. You would have to have a really, really good backup to even consider benching him in such a juicy matchup.

I'm rolling him over Rodgers, Dalton and Bortles, but all those factors and the Thursday effect do have me nervous. It's more a "dance with the one that brung ya" at this point. Lots of atrong QB matchups this week to choose from.

Glad I kept him in the lineup and the TNF curse didn't strike. One of the best things about playing Palmer is his WR's tend to get those 40+ yard TD's and those are worth a few bonus points in my league. Would have loved 1 more TD but it'll have to do for this week.

Carson Palmer will be back as a fantasy QB, sure. However, his is status as a playoff choker has been firmly cemented.

[SIZE=14pt]In regards to Carson Palmer I considered him a value more in 2013 than I did for the 2015 season where I think I under estimated him. Part of the reason I was not as high on Carson Palmer is because QBs overall had been putting up such good numbers recently that good Palmer numbers did not really match up to that level of performance. Palmer proved that the new rules and tendencies of the league apply to him as well as he put up career numbers in passing yards, touchdowns and yards per attempt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]In August 2013 I projected Carson Palmer to have 540-610 pass attempts 3600-4200 passing yards 20-27 TD and taking about 40 sacks which would subtract from either the total pass attempts and passing yardage. I did not project the number of interceptions. This was based off of expecting the Cardinals to run 1000 total offensive plays. They had 1037 in 2013, 993 in 2014 and 1041 in 2015. So my projection a bit low from the total number of plays run.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Carson Palmer in 2013 had 572 pass attempts 362 completions 63.3% 4274 yards 24 TD 22 interceptions 41 sacks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I expected Palmer to put up similar numbers in 2014. He was injured and only played in 6 games of the 2014 season.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Carson Palmer in 2014 had 224 pass attempts 141 completions 62.9% 1626 yards 11 TD 3 interceptions 9 sacks in 6 games which over a 16 game season would have been 597 pass attempts 376 completions 62.9% 4336 yards 29 TD 8 interceptions 24 sacks. These extrapolated numbers seem high on total passing attempts but otherwise pretty close to the same numbers produced in 2013.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Carson Palmer in 2015 had 537 pass attempts 342 completions 63.7% 4671 yards 35 TD 11 interceptions 25 sacks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The sack numbers have gone down as there have been improvements to the offensive line. Because of Palmer only playing 6 games it was hard to compare this with the 2013 sack numbers but as a team they only gave up 28 sacks, showing some improvement in this area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Palmer had a career best 8.7 yards per attempt in 2015. His career average is 7.4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Age does not seem to be affecting him as he is putting up some of the best numbers of his career at age 35. Palmer became 36 years old in December.[/SIZE]

Thought tehse guys had a shot at Wentz to backup Palmer and then take over but it looks like Wentz is going to be gone inside the top 10.

I just laugh....because Romo gets crucified as a UDFA QB, yet so many of these other guys skate relatively unbruised with national media.

SMH.

Bankerguy said:
I just laugh....because Romo gets crucified as a UDFA QB, yet so many of these other guys skate relatively unbruised with national media.

SMH.
It's probably racism.

Larry Fitzgerald said he thinks Carson Palmer will be even better this season.
"He’s getting better with time," Fitzgerald said. "Coming off of that knee injury last year, he played the best football last year at 35 years old and only better things are coming for him this year." It is going to be difficult for Palmer to surpass the 4,671 yards and 35 touchdowns he threw for last season, but he should at least come close to replicating those numbers in Arizona's high-powered attack. As long as he stays healthy, Palmer will be a solid QB1.

Source: NFL Network

Cardinals signed QB Carson Palmer to a one-year, $24.5 million extension through 2018.

Palmer is now owed $43.5 million over the next three seasons, a major bargain for one of the NFL's top passers. The Cardinals also tacked another year onto Larry Fitzgerald's contract at $11 million, extending him through 2017. Both players will have a chance to retire in Cardinals uniforms. 36-year-old Palmer is coming off his best season and should return QB1 value in fantasy in 2016. Fitzgerald is in the WR2/3 conversation.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Carson Palmer insists he's moved on from his rocky finish to the 2015 season.
"You start working on what you need to improve on and preparing for what’s ahead, not what’s behind," Palmer said. "There’s no other choice." Palmer gave the ball to the Panthers six times in the NFC Championship Game, and was mediocre for the season's final month-plus as he battled a finger injury. Including this preseason, Palmer has 13 turnovers over his past seven appearances. This is Palmer's age-36 campaign.

Source: azcardinals.com 
Sep 6 - 7:24 PM

Cardinals GM Steve Keim said Carson Palmer is still in the concussion protocol.
Keim did say Palmer is "feeling great by all indications," and the quarterback still has plenty of time to get cleared for Monday night's matchup against the Jets. It is expected he will. Despite his struggles this season, Palmer will be a solid QB1 in a great matchup.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter 
Oct 10 - 10:58 AM

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians expects Carson Palmer to clear the concussion protocol on Tuesday.
Palmer remained in the concussion protocol as of Monday, but he appears to be in the final stages. It would be a shock if he didn't start against the Jets.

Source: Kent Somers on Twitter 
Oct 10 - 3:40 PM

Users who are viewing this thread