What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Markus Wheaton - Underrated? (1 Viewer)

Rookie wide receiver Martavis Bryant was among the players fielding punts on Wednesday and the fourth-round pick said he would like an opportunity to help the Steelers in that phase of the game. Bryant, who has excellent speed, returned kickoffs at Clemson but not punts. He said he returned punts in high school. "I'd like to do it," Bryant said. "It's challenging and fun." Challenging is one word that can be used to describe the brief time that Bryant has spent with the Steelers so far. "I get down on myself sometimes because it's different," Bryant said, "but once I learn everything I'll be fine."

Ben needs a big man, all things aside. If you're the coach and both these guys are competing for the 2nd receiver spot. Tie goes to the guy who's taller, right?

Look how many TDs Cotchery caught last year. Many receivers get involved in this Offense. Lots of Big Ben passes to go around.

Bump whoever wins the competition to WR3 status.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports second-year WR Markus Wheaton is "having another strong start to camp," and "his role will increase greatly."

La Canfora cites "several Steelers people." Wheaton flashed big-play ability last preseason, as well, but his in-season snaps were limited by injuries and solid performances from Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders. Both Cotchery and Sanders are gone, setting up Wheaton to start at X receiver opposite Z Antonio Brown. Wheaton is worth a look as a WR5 pick in non-PPR drafts.

Source: CBS Sports

Jul 27 - 4:32 PM

My money is still on Super Mart.

Steelers notebook: Bryant shows flashes of big-time potential

August 4, 2014 12:00 AM

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When the Steelers selected tall and speedy receiver Martavis Bryant in the fourth round of the NFL draft, they believed he could be a threat in the red zone as a rookie and eventually develop into a player they could use in all situations.

Over the weekend, Bryant flashed his red-zone credentials when he made a one-handed grab for a touchdown Saturday in practice, one of many fine receptions this 6-foot-4, 211-pound speedster from Clemson made the past two days.

The next goal for Bryant is to do it on a consistent basis.

"Obviously he made a few plays, but he's a big guy so we expect him to consistently make big-guy plays," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I'm interested in him developing a complete game."

Bryant, 22, had a knack for catching touchdowns at Clemson. He had 25 in his three-year career, including 13 as a senior.

"I've always been good in the red zone in college," Bryant said. "Coming into the league I know it will take more work and more practice to get better. I'm just going to go out and prepare."

Bryant knows his playing time will be determined by how well he picks up the playbook.

"If they don't trust me I'm not going to play," he said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/04/Bryant-shows-flashes-of-big-time-potential/stories/201408040091#ixzz39RLz6bk9

My money is still on Super Mart.

Steelers notebook: Bryant shows flashes of big-time potential

August 4, 2014 12:00 AM

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When the Steelers selected tall and speedy receiver Martavis Bryant in the fourth round of the NFL draft, they believed he could be a threat in the red zone as a rookie and eventually develop into a player they could use in all situations.

Over the weekend, Bryant flashed his red-zone credentials when he made a one-handed grab for a touchdown Saturday in practice, one of many fine receptions this 6-foot-4, 211-pound speedster from Clemson made the past two days.

The next goal for Bryant is to do it on a consistent basis.

"Obviously he made a few plays, but he's a big guy so we expect him to consistently make big-guy plays," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I'm interested in him developing a complete game."

Bryant, 22, had a knack for catching touchdowns at Clemson. He had 25 in his three-year career, including 13 as a senior.

"I've always been good in the red zone in college," Bryant said. "Coming into the league I know it will take more work and more practice to get better. I'm just going to go out and prepare."

Bryant knows his playing time will be determined by how well he picks up the playbook.

"If they don't trust me I'm not going to play," he said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/04/Bryant-shows-flashes-of-big-time-potential/stories/201408040091#ixzz39RLz6bk9
Bryant may be a red zone target this year but Wheaton is going to be the starting SE. In a TD only league maybe you take a shot on Bryant, but in standard and especially PPR redraft leagues, if you take Bryant over Wheaton, you should have your head examined. Even if Wheaton gets hurt, Justin Brown will play ahead of Martavis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton is listed as a starting receiver opposite Antonio Brown on the Steelers' depth chart, as expected.
Although Wheaton only played 161 snaps as a rookie, the Steelers did very little to replace the 113 receptions and 16 touchdowns Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery combined for last year. They've handed the starting "X" job to Wheaton and he's responded well by all accounts. As a burner who drew some Mike Wallace comparisons coming out of Oregon State, there's plenty of flier appeal here. "He can be that guy that teams look at in the first four games and are like, 'Who is that dude running past people?'" said Ike Taylor, who's been going against Wheaton at practices.

Related: Lance Moore

Source: Washington Observer Reporter

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton - WR - Steelers

Markus Wheaton had two catches for 15 yards and a touchdown in Saturday night's preseason game against the Bills.

Wheaton started opposite Antonio Brown and finished with four targets. His touchdown came on an impressive post-corner route in the back of the end zone over Stephon Gilmore. Wheaton has major breakout appeal as the starting X receiver in Todd Haley's offense, which is expected to feature more no-huddle looks. He's currently a value pick at his 12th-round ADP.

Aug 16 - 10:47 PM

Did he play the entire first half?
yeah, think he played the whole first half getting 4 targets on only 20 snaps because 2 drives were abbreviated -- there was a 3 play drive ending in a pick, and another that was only 2 plays on a long brown td.

also, pitt wasn't really doing a stellar job getting buffalo off the field

Anything new here? Is Wheaton the sure fire #2 WR?
He can be had at a fairly low price in current drafts, so I'm all in and will hopefully snag him as a fourth or fifth WR. Something tells me Big Ben is underrated this year, and I do think Wheaton is in line to pick up some nice stats for a late draft pick.

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton - WR - Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger thinks Markus Wheaton is "going to surprise a lot of people."

With Emmanuel Sanders gone, Wheaton has been running as the starting "X" for the entire offseason and into training camp. He's coming along nicely in his second NFL season, highlighted by a toe-tapping touchdown against the Bills last week. "He's definitely on the same page with Ben, and, anytime you're on the same page with Ben, there is a good opportunity," said teammate Antonio Brown. The speedy Wheaton has the ability to eclipse the 67-740-6 line Emmanuel Sanders posted as Roethlisberger's "X" last year. He's a prime sleeper.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Aug 21 - 11:33 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/08/21/Second-year-Steelers-receiver-still-an-unknown-factor/stories/201408210287

If you're in any bigger leagues he's a steal late. He's my 4th WR in a 20-teamer and I got him for only $10. No way he should go that cheap when he's projected to score around WR45 (which would be a high WR3 in a 20-teamer). Terrance Williams is in an identical situation/role and went for twice that amount and substantially earlier in snakes. Williams is also going for $9 as opposed to $5 for Wheaton in the subscriber contest, which makes little sense to me. If anything, Wheaton is the #2 target and Williams is the #3 in their respective offenses.

He should have a nice year opposite Antonio Brown, I do not expect Lance Moore/Justin Brown/Martavis Bryant to eat into his (Wheaton's) production very much.

If you're in any bigger leagues he's a steal late. He's my 4th WR in a 20-teamer and I got him for only $10. No way he should go that cheap when he's projected to score around WR45 (which would be a high WR3 in a 20-teamer). Terrance Williams is in an identical situation/role and went for twice that amount and substantially earlier in snakes. Williams is also going for $9 as opposed to $5 for Wheaton in the subscriber contest, which makes little sense to me. If anything, Wheaton is the #2 target and Williams is the #3 in their respective offenses.
Care to unpack this?

Care to unpack this?
What is there to unpack? FBG has him listed as the WR45. That translates to a high WR3 in a 20-teamer. Math much?

It is early on, but he looks like he is struggling to get separation in this ex game against Philly. He does not look overly smooth in and out of his breaks. Time will tell though.

Bumping this. I didn't see the game, anyone else have an opinion on him? I was high on him from reports but I don't know now.

He looked downright awful last night. No separation and seems to have been fighting the ball when trying to catch it. Also was not on the same page as Ben on many occasions. I'd assume he was in the wrong instead of Ben but maybe not.

Care to unpack this?
Assume wide receivers are distributed evenly in a 20 team league for the sake of discussion and assuming he ends up as WR45 in that 20 team league:

WR01-WR20 Each fantasy team's first receiver,

WR21-WR40 Each fantasy team's second receiver,

WR41-WR60 Each fantasy team's third receiver. WR45 is closer to 41 than 60, so it's "high."

He looked downright awful last night. No separation and seems to have been fighting the ball when trying to catch it. Also was not on the same page as Ben on many occasions. I'd assume he was in the wrong instead of Ben but maybe not.
He seemed to lack coordination with Ben, running the wrong routes or at least not being where Ben expected him to be. A bad day I would hope they work this out.

It was pretty clear they were forcing the ball to him rather than throwing when he was open. I'll take that as a sign they want him to be a part of the offense, though obviously he needs to work on his routes.

The entire Pittsburgh offense looked out of synch. The good news is that Ben looked his way often and he seemed heavily involved in the game plan. Wheaton makes for an excellant fantasy WR4/5 with upside IMO

Something to remember, he and Cooks played together at Oregon State. Wheaton was the clear number 1 before he left two years ago. Cooks is a bit more explosive but Wheaton is prolly a better route runner and maybe a bit more polished overall as a WR. Cooks is prolly in a better situation, but yes I believe Wheaton is underrated. I think he will have a solid year.

ericttspikes said:
Does Lance Moore and Bryant being doubtful Sunday elevate his ranking this week, or does it stay the same?
I wasn't expecting them to draw off many targets anyway, so it doesn't really affect his ranking for me. I guess if you thought one of those guys was going to be a big part of the offense, you may want to adjust your ranking of Wheaton upwards for the week.

Wheaton will draw rookie Just Gilbert who, as Evan Silva pointed out, ranked 177 out of a possible 186 on PFF during preseason action. I do however have a bit of a problem gambling on Wheaton this week. Firstly, PIT/CLE games are historically low scoring. I'm not expecting Ben to have a big game so I feel like Wheaton's upside is capped. Since he doesn't have a particularly high floor, this makes him much less appealing IMO. Secondly, Haden has the ability to shut down every top WR..except Brown. I suppose that has a lot to do with Brown's unique skill set as a #1 but I don't expect Ben to lay off Brown in this game, he'll still see a fair amount of targets. I suppose you could do worse all things considered but he's not someone I'd be starting unless I was forced to/in a deeper league.

there is a nice write up on the pay side of FBG talking about his performance. Made some very nice plays, and with Moore dinged, Wheaton could continue to be a 2A or 2B in the (underrated) passing game of PIT all year

How did he look on Sunday?
He looked excellent.

Caught everything thrown his way and it was telling that Big Ben trusted him on the final big play before the FG, and he came up big. He also was running some deep routes, including his 40yd catch.

If Pittsburgh continue with an open offense then I think he could provide WR3 floor with WR1 upside if he catches a deep TD.

UKColt said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
How did he look on Sunday?
He looked excellent.

Caught everything thrown his way and it was telling that Big Ben trusted him on the final big play before the FG, and he came up big. He also was running some deep routes, including his 40yd catch.

If Pittsburgh continue with an open offense then I think he could provide WR3 floor with WR1 upside if he catches a deep TD.
He got a step or two on another long sideline throw in the 4th quarter and Ben just missed him. Considering it was his first NFL start, I thought he was outstanding.

I am strongly contemplating dropping Boykin for Wheaton. Wheaton looked really good and the FBG article take really talks him up. I think he could end up a solid WR3 if the Steelers can continue on offense like they did on Sunday.

But will he catch Tds or is he more of a ppr guy to have? I don't know much about him, but I have him on my bench in my redraft non ppr league.

See that he's probable tonight with a "non injury". Anybody know what he's been dealing with? Sick?

Sanders had 11 targets last year in Balt, would love to see Wheaton get that many. It will be interesting if Webb is out tonight.

What are people expecting out of him now? Can you give a list of 3 other guys whom you think he'll give similar production to?

Cliff Clavin said:
What are people expecting out of him now? Can you give a list of 3 other guys whom you think he'll give similar production to?
Heath Miller is back this year, but Wheaton may still end up as the #2 receiving option on the team. So we might look at Heath's best season:

71/816/8

...and call that Wheaton's ceiling. He might have fewer receptions, but maybe more yards to offset the stats.

Ben was my favorite "wait late to draft" QB this year. They are letting him run the offense/call the plays more this year, which fits his style better, and I fully expect there to be plenty of passes to go around even after Antonio Brown gets the biggest piece of the pie.

ericttspikes said:
See that he's probable tonight with a "non injury". Anybody know what he's been dealing with? Sick?

Sanders had 11 targets last year in Balt, would love to see Wheaton get that many. It will be interesting if Webb is out tonight.
Since it's a short week, the Steelers had to publish an injury report for Monday, even though they didn't practice. Bell, Roethlisberger, Wheaton, and a few other guys were labeled as "limited" on Monday, which means they had to be listed as probable, at best. he didn't miss any practice/meeting time (nor did hte other guys). He's healthy.

Cliff Clavin said:
I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him end the season with something like : 73/970/6

He's still the #2 option at best - Antonio Brown is so good that he's always going to get the bulk of the looks. Wheaton/Miller/slot (Moore)/Bell are all going to share the remaining targets somewhat equally. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread