What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (5 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Arian Foster - RB - Texans

Arian Foster said the heavy workload he saw in Week 1 is here to stay.

Foster racked up 27 carries and two catches as the Texans grinded through the Redskins in Week 1. New coach Bill O'Brien is something of a rare breed these days as he has no interest in any kind committee in the backfield. "He said that all offseason, and (it's) not lip service," Foster said. "That's what he wants to do." Arian is going to pile up touches in a cake matchup at Oakland Sunday.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Sep 11 - 9:48 AM

In reviewing some of the different games on rewind, he definitely looked like he had pretty good burst as compared to some other backs.

I only got to the second quarter of this game, but the first series, the Texans were in shotgun, throwing it all over the place, then the next few series were very conservative and run-heavy.

Foster, Australian for STUD!

He was such great value this year. I'm so glad I got him. Hopefully he'll get less carries but more receptions.

He was such great value this year. I'm so glad I got him. Hopefully he'll get less carries but more receptions.
I'm not even remotely kidding when I say I want to see him touch the ball less. O'Brien has to be out of his ####### mind if he thinks Foster is going to hold up on near 30 touches a game. They need to work in Grimes/Blue more (as long as Blue doesn't start vulturing TDs). But yeah, him and Bell (assuming he dropped) were absolute steals at their 3rd round ADP.

I'm not even remotely kidding when I say I want to see him touch the ball less. O'Brien has to be out of his ####### mind if he thinks Foster is going to hold up on near 30 touches a game. They need to work in Grimes/Blue more (as long as Blue doesn't start vulturing TDs). But yeah, him and Bell (assuming he dropped) were absolute steals at their 3rd round ADP.
I thought I reached and picked foster in the mid second round. No regrets here

I agree about working the other backs in more. I do think (or at least hope) O'Brien went ultra conservative with the offense yesterday, because A) they had a big lead most of the game and B) they were playing a rookie QB and they

were not going to make any mistakes to help him out. Keep running the ball, let the clock run, and get out of there with a win.

They will have to mix in more passing against better teams, or they are not going to be successful offensively.

Good man..

Speaking Monday, coach Bill O'Brien said the Texans will try to do a better job of "(spreading) out" carries going forward.
Arian Foster has taken the rock an absurd 55 times through the Texans' first two games, putting him on pace for 440 carries. That would break Larry Johnson's single-season record by 24. Owners may cringe at the idea of a reduced workload, but it's not like Foster would suddenly be a part of a committee. The Texans have to scale back his work to keep him healthy. Even a scaled-back Foster would be a locked-in RB1, and among the league leaders in totes.

If Tate moves on and Foster is healthy entering FF drafts next year, where does he get drafted?
My guess would be late in round 2 or early in round 3 as a best case scenario. He's clearly an RB2 at this point.
I wouldn't totally agree with that. It depends how healthy he comes back and what he does in camp. In the full games he played before getting hurt, he was a RB1 even splitting with Tate. With no Tate next year and healthy, I see no reason he wouldn't be a clear RB1 in fantasy. Fear of "breaking down" would likely keep him out of round 1.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. FWIW, presuming Foster is completely healthy, running well in camp, and that Tate has moved on, I would take the following RBs over him:

1. Charles

2. Lynch

3. ADP

4. McCoy

5. Forte

6. Morris

7. Bernard

8. Lacy

To me Foster is in a large group of players that include Murray, Gore, Ridley, Rice, Tate, Johnson, D. Martin. On my board, in a best case scenario, he would check in as RB9 overall. For that to happen, everything would have to trend towards a rebound. That also presumes young bucks like Stacy, Bell, and Miller trend downward. Truthfully, it becomes a jumbled mess IMO after those 8 guys. Couple that with elite WRs and a few elite QBs and Foster's injury, I'm not taking him before the top of round #3 at this point.

I'd be curious to get other's feedback.
I think you would be making the "Adrian Peterson" mistake by letting him fall late enough into rounds 2 or 3 that he basically makes some guy's team. I agree that it will probably happen because people love to downgrade running backs, especially ones that have had an injury, and people particularly love to be on the "Arian foster is falling" watch. They have been for years so proclaiming his demise brings a bit of extra joy to a select group of people.

However, if we keep in mind that all RBs get hurt from time to time (there are NONE that I know of that have played effectively for 3-4 straight years and had no injuries) then we also might accept that many Rbs go through a trough but then ascend again.

So, if we look at it from that perspective, let's paint the scenario where we just write off this season for Foster because he clearly has been hurt. So he gets repaired and we are left with the product of his work he has shown us. Its REALLY good. Then he comes back but you know what's changed? He is healthy, he is motivated and, not that he had much sharing to do before, but that Tate guy isn't here any more either and the guy that is here now is most definitely not a high draft pick. So if he is healthy, and someone grabs him the 3rd, they are basically getting the same production as the guy that spent their top five on whomever they loved.
I speak truth.

Good man..

Speaking Monday, coach Bill O'Brien said the Texans will try to do a better job of "(spreading) out" carries going forward.

Arian Foster has taken the rock an absurd 55 times through the Texans' first two games, putting him on pace for 440 carries. That would break Larry Johnson's single-season record by 24. Owners may cringe at the idea of a reduced workload, but it's not like Foster would suddenly be a part of a committee. The Texans have to scale back his work to keep him healthy. Even a scaled-back Foster would be a locked-in RB1, and among the league leaders in totes.
Texans could spread out RB carries

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/7548/texans-could-spread-out-rb-carries

HOUSTON -- Texans running back Arian Foster has 55 carries already this season -- the highest total any running back has had since 2006.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien steadfastly maintains the team will give Foster as many carries as is necessary for the team to win, whether that's 10 carries a game or 35. On Monday he admitted the Texans will probably spread out carries among the rest of the Texans' running backs later in the season.

"Certainly when you look at one player getting a ton of carries, that’s something that you have to pay attention to as a staff," O'Brien said. "We do that. But also we do what’s necessary to win a game."

If you go back to 2001, LaDainian Tomlinson is the player with the most carries in the first two games with 63. In the past 10 years, running backs have had 50 or more carries in the first two games of the season 21 times. Three of those occurrences were by Foster. In 2010, Foster's first full year as the Texans' featured back, Foster had 52 carries in his first two games. He had 54 in 2012.

In his career, Foster has more than 1,200 carries. He's eclipsed 300 carries (including the playoffs) in three different seasons and had more than 400 carries in 2012.

That's a running back with a lot of mileage.

There's no doubting Foster's talent, which is a big part of why his coaches have used him so much. His patience behind an offensive line, that joined him in getting game balls from O'Brien today, has meant great things for the Texans' offense.

Spreading around the carries, when possible, would likely extend his time during which he'll be able to help the Texans.

I think it'll be natural for them work in Blue for a few more series now that he has a couple games under his belt. I understand wanting to lean on your star vet as heavily as necessary in the first couple of weeks.

I'd previously cut Blue (have Foster and Grimes) for roster space, thinking Grimes would be the one who gets the first shot after the Week 1 game. Figured Blue would probably overtake Grimes before the years was done but I'd just try to stay ready to get Blue back from waivers before it happened. After Week 2, I wonder if it's happening already. Picked Blue back up and will probably have to hold both for awhile given my Adrian Peterson and Mark Ingram depleted RB corps. Are others holding both, or committing to one or the other?

Is there really a belief that blue or grimes will cut into his workload enough to make them viable ff starters? This would obviously mean his value would take a hit if so...

Not really though it can't be ruled out either.

But some of us are in leagues you can't turn to waivers for a starter so you have to handcuff your guy. Particularly if you already lost your other starter and your RB3. Knowing which is the handcuff matters.

IMO, you carry Foster and forget the rest because as long as Foster is going, it will be a series here or a series there and that's it.

In the past the value of the backups got a bit inflated because the Texans were good enough to get a lead and not need Foster in the last series or so (although he often remained in).

In general, what needs to be recognized is he is a true bell cow and the Texans aren't good enough for him to sit half a quarter and IF Foster can't go, then the Texans are suddenly relying on their defense because without Foster, Fitz isn't going to look good at all and the backups are going to end up splitting and the stat line is going to look a lot like one guy gets 10, the other gets 8. Hardly worth holding one or two spots on a roster for 46 yards and an occasional TD.

It's all or nothing with Foster there.

I'd previously cut Blue (have Foster and Grimes) for roster space, thinking Grimes would be the one who gets the first shot after the Week 1 game. Figured Blue would probably overtake Grimes before the years was done but I'd just try to stay ready to get Blue back from waivers before it happened. After Week 2, I wonder if it's happening already. Picked Blue back up and will probably have to hold both for awhile given my Adrian Peterson and Mark Ingram depleted RB corps. Are others holding both, or committing to one or the other?
I originally felt pretty comfortable with Grimes as the cuff but it looks like raw talent is beginning to win out with Blue. In relief, Blue got all the work in between the 20s and looked to do a good job of moving the chains (granted, OAK sucks in all facets of football). So I'm sitting here, asking myself, "if Foster goes down, am I really going to ever start Grimes". Truth is, I don't think so. I'm likely going to hold for a little bit longer but there's a good chance I trade him in for a new lottery ticket within the next several weeks.

I originally felt pretty comfortable with Grimes as the cuff but it looks like raw talent is beginning to win out with Blue. In relief, Blue got all the work in between the 20s and looked to do a good job of moving the chains (granted, OAK sucks in all facets of football). So I'm sitting here, asking myself, "if Foster goes down, am I really going to ever start Grimes". Truth is, I don't think so. I'm likely going to hold for a little bit longer but there's a good chance I trade him in for a new lottery ticket within the next several weeks.
This is my thinking. Blue or Grimes are never going to be worth anything as long as Foster is dressing. If he is OUT I'd probably not feel comfortable starting them anyways.

God do I hate reading a sentence with "Foster" and "hamstring" in it.

Arian Foster was limited in Wednesday's practice with a hamstring injury.
Foster has been dealing with a rib issue the last two weeks, but this is a new injury. The fact he was limited Wednesday indicates that he'll play through it. Foster remains on track for Week 3 against the Giants.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news here (and trust me, it's good news) is that he practiced in limited fashion. Looking at all the blurbs from last year, whenever an injury popped up he would always miss practice. In fact, the last time Foster practiced in limited fashion was in Oct. of 2012. If he starts missing practice, I'll worry. No need to panic just yet.

I'll roll the dice and preemptively pickup Alfred Blue all the same. The real good news is that by my doing that I'm sure Arian Foster will somehow, miraculously buck his trend of becoming the Bob Sanders of RBs.

uh oh. so it it starts.
No, it started in January through August as people talked him down and passed on him in drafts.

Learn, people. He's a RB. They ALL get hurt at times. They are ALL thought of as ancient artifacts by the time they 28. But the good ones produce. He's a good. one.

uh oh. so it it starts.
No, it started in January through August as people talked him down and passed on him in drafts.

Learn, people. He's a RB. They ALL get hurt at times. They are ALL thought of as ancient artifacts by the time they 28. But the good ones produce. He's a good. one.
He's a great one. Fun stat, Foster has the most games with 150+ yards from scrimmage since 2010 (19) Forte has 16, Peterson has 14 and Charles has 12.

i think we are at a point where every foster owner needs to have blue because even when he looks like he will play he could be a last minute scratch. :wall:

The positive side is that Blue did look good. Not great, but good, and the clear #2. The Texans will probably be more comfortable mixing him in for a few series now, getting Foster's weekly workload down to the 20-22 touches range and improving his chances of making it through the season. Blue also looks like he's good enough to give owners 75-80% of Foster's expected fantasy production if needed as a plug-and-play for any game time decisions.

Pots, you thought he looked bad? I didn't watch the game. Debating trading for AF-- but a separate owner with a high tag owns blue… Not sure what to do

The positive side is that Blue did look good. Not great, but good, and the clear #2.
No. He did not, imo.
Agree. Foster's absence was the difference between the Texans winning and losing last week. THe GIants are TERRIBLE. But, with that being said, the Texans generated nothing in terms of a threat with Blue. Half his yards were on one play when the Texans were down 10 late. This was not a good showing.

I know our main interest is Foster and fantasy related but the real life Texans NEED Foster out there.

The positive side is that Blue did look good. Not great, but good, and the clear #2.
No. He did not, imo.
You think? I would have liked a to see a little more breakaway speed on his 46-yarder, but other than that I don't have much to complain about. He had a few carries for a loss, but I didn't see any huge mistakes on his part.Like I said: good, not great. He's a backup and the Texans are much better with Foster on the field, but for fantasy purposes I would call Blue a pretty solid handcuff considering the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Arian Foster's latest hamstring injury is to the same one that bothered him during the preseason.

Foster missed the first two weeks of camp way back in late-July due to this hamstring. After racking up 59 touches in the first two weeks, he had to sit out the Week 3 loss to the Giants. "As soon as I feel 100 percent, I'll be out there," he said. "It's my hamstring's call." Recurring or chronic soft-tissue issues are always scary, even if this latest strain is considered minor. Alfred Blue is shaping up as a must-own for the foreseeable future.

Related: Alfred Blue

Sep 23 - 8:29 AM

Rotoworld:

Arian Foster's latest hamstring injury is to the same one that bothered him during the preseason.

Foster missed the first two weeks of camp way back in late-July due to this hamstring. After racking up 59 touches in the first two weeks, he had to sit out the Week 3 loss to the Giants. "As soon as I feel 100 percent, I'll be out there," he said. "It's my hamstring's call." Recurring or chronic soft-tissue issues are always scary, even if this latest strain is considered minor. Alfred Blue is shaping up as a must-own for the foreseeable future.

Translation: Arian Foster could give a #### about your fantasy teams.

I have an Arian Foster on my fantasy team. Mainly because I had gone WR-WR in the first two rounds and he was the best back available in the third.

I also don't like Foster because I think he is a very "Me first" type of person. He will do what serves his best interests before anyone elses, including his team. It's a free world and he can act however he wants, but

I am now entirely frustrated with him on my team. I have a feeling that even if his hamstring is 99% ready, he will sit out because "it's just not quite there yet".

I would try trading him but will probably not get a lot for him. I am probably going to have to move one of my WR's to get a more consistent RB.

I have Foster on two teams. One were I have depth and am in 1st place and another where I'm struggling and have been riddled with injury/suspension.

As much as I need him on the latter team I'd rather he just rest it until he's 100%. Hamstrings linger and are easily retweeked. Better to miss a few weeks now and get it healed than to come back to quickly and deal with it all season.

With Foster you knew there was increased injury risk, which is why we acquired him for less than it would have cost otherwise. When he's been in the lineup he's produced. That's all that I was looking for. Hopefully he gets back on the field, and stays on the field for the majority of the season.

I have Foster on two teams. One were I have depth and am in 1st place and another where I'm struggling and have been riddled with injury/suspension.

As much as I need him on the latter team I'd rather he just rest it until he's 100%. Hamstrings linger and are easily retweeked. Better to miss a few weeks now and get it healed than to come back to quickly and deal with it all season.

With Foster you knew there was increased injury risk, which is why we acquired him for less than it would have cost otherwise. When he's been in the lineup he's produced. That's all that I was looking for. Hopefully he gets back on the field, and stays on the field for the majority of the season.
You are absolutely right about his price being affected by his risk. I got him in the third round because of his risk. It's just frustrating for me that I have to rely on his word as to whether he is healthy or not. It is not an injury that has any sort of outside verification. My issue because I just don't take him at his word. He's getting his paycheck whether he plays or not.

I have a talent deprived dynasty roster, but was fortunate enough to trade Foster for Garcon before the news came out that Foster was inactive. Now my roster's got a punchers chance. Guy was so desperate for a starting RB after last week's mash unit he threw in a 2nd round pick as the cherry on top.

I have an Arian Foster on my fantasy team. Mainly because I had gone WR-WR in the first two rounds and he was the best back available in the third.

I also don't like Foster because I think he is a very "Me first" type of person. He will do what serves his best interests before anyone elses, including his team. It's a free world and he can act however he wants, but

I am now entirely frustrated with him on my team. I have a feeling that even if his hamstring is 99% ready, he will sit out because "it's just not quite there yet".

I would try trading him but will probably not get a lot for him. I am probably going to have to move one of my WR's to get a more consistent RB.
how many times have players came back to soon from a hamstring and it turned a 2 week injury into an 8 week injury? but you can read foster's mind and can even realize how much pain he is in. such psychic ability must do wonders for your fantasy team management. thank you for sharing you insights with the board.

Rotoworld:

This guy is just collecting pay checks at this point. Had him last year, never again.

how many times have players came back to soon from a hamstring and it turned a 2 week injury into an 8 week injury? but you can read foster's mind and can even realize how much pain he is in. such psychic ability must do wonders for your fantasy team management. thank you for sharing you insights with the board.
chill out, dude. I admitted in a subsequent post that this is my issue with Arian. I probably should have never drafted him.

Yes, I agree with you that it is not wise to rush back from a hamstring. But he had a problem with it in preseason, he's got a problem with it now, and most likely he will have a problem with it the rest of the season.

Hey, if I took the pounding he took in the first two weeks (59 touches plus blocking assignments) I might want to take a few weeks off as well.

Users who are viewing this thread