What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Arian Foster's latest hamstring injury is to the same one that bothered him during the preseason.

Foster missed the first two weeks of camp way back in late-July due to this hamstring. After racking up 59 touches in the first two weeks, he had to sit out the Week 3 loss to the Giants. "As soon as I feel 100 percent, I'll be out there," he said. "It's my hamstring's call." Recurring or chronic soft-tissue issues are always scary, even if this latest strain is considered minor. Alfred Blue is shaping up as a must-own for the foreseeable future.

Related: Alfred Blue

Source: Houston Chronicle

Sep 23 - 8:29 AM
This guy is just collecting pay checks at this point. Had him last year, never again.
Just collecting paychecks? For doing nothing more than leading the NFL in carries for the first two weeks. How dare a RB who carries the ball more than any other in the league have the audacity to get banged up. C'mon, man! Understand the game they are playing.

Rotoworld:

Arian Foster's latest hamstring injury is to the same one that bothered him during the preseason.

Foster missed the first two weeks of camp way back in late-July due to this hamstring. After racking up 59 touches in the first two weeks, he had to sit out the Week 3 loss to the Giants. "As soon as I feel 100 percent, I'll be out there," he said. "It's my hamstring's call." Recurring or chronic soft-tissue issues are always scary, even if this latest strain is considered minor. Alfred Blue is shaping up as a must-own for the foreseeable future.

This guy is just collecting pay checks at this point. Had him last year, never again.
Just collecting paychecks? For doing nothing more than leading the NFL in carries for the first two weeks. How dare a RB who carries the ball more than any other in the league have the audacity to get banged up. C'mon, man! Understand the game they are playing.
Thank you for the voice of reason.

SameSongNDance said:
This thread devolved rather quickly eh?
In an attempt to bring back some "on-topic" discussion back:

We pay SO much attention (and nitpick every detail) of Arian Foster-all the way down to his attitude in which he addresses the media-because of one simple reason that we should not lose sight of and that is because, when he is on the field, he is a consistent, high-volume, top 5 RB-and that is important to us.

From the day he became known in fantasy circles he has been a very polarizing player because from the very beginning the people who scooped him wanted to let everyone know they thought they had something and those who didn't wanted to let everyone know that he was a flash in the pan.

If we can be aware of our biases on this, let's boil it down to the facts.

-He has a lot of carries on him. That is good in terms of FF use and productivity. That is bad in terms of worrying about, funny enough, the thing we seek the most (a high-volume RB) that isn't splitting duty).

-As a result of that high volume, he has been amazingly productive. More yards, more TDs, more big games than all of the others.

-Also as a result, he has been banged up. Not with ACLs and ribs and knees, but with Hamstrings and back aches for the most part.

-He is 28. That's no spring chicken but at the same time there are a lot of 28 year old professional athletes that are far from ready for a rocking chair.

What all this comes down to is we should listen when a veteran athlete is acknowledging an issue that he has experienced before. He knows that two seasons ago when he rushed back from the hamstring issue it set him back most of the season. He may also know (I don't know this, just speculation) that one injury nagging and being compensated for contributed to other things.

So now he is very openly saying that he needs to get this right. So, we wait and when its right, he will be rock solid. Is that as good as having a guaranteed player on the field? No, but what RB ever plays all 16 anymore? It is far and few between. Last year, Shady and Charles and Peterson were Iron men. This year, they have all been out in the first month. It happens.

Is Foster one of the guys that has sold his "stock"? Would that play any part in how fast he got back on the field?

I'm wondering if this quickly degenerates into a full-blown RBBC now that Foster has proven he clearly cannot handle a full load and Blue &Co. more than capable. Worst case scenario for FF.

I'm wondering if this quickly degenerates into a full-blown RBBC now that Foster has proven he clearly cannot handle a full load and Blue &Co. more than capable. Worst case scenario for FF.
I don't think Blue has proven he is capable yet. Other than the 46 yard run he was below average. The line is also not opening up much for the RB's.

If you watched the game you would know that Blue and Co did little to prove they are capable. The run game was bad and fitz was forced into bad decisions.

Sig seems to think Blue was impressive vs. NYG after rewatching the games and is recommending people grab him in front of Taliaferro. I haven't watched him run so I can't pass any judgement yet.

Shutout said:
Rotoworld:

The guy is wrecked. He thought about retiring last year. I don't blame the guy, but I also have zero expectations that he'll want to play through injury and he doesn't have to. So tell me, how many players at this point of the season are 100%?

i just traded for him. fjax, hyde and reggie bush in standard. ill take a shot on a top 5 rb for a bunch of filler.

didnt you make a big deal about putting me on ignore? sorry that i expressed an analysis about doug martin based on facts and quotes from coaches and observers and it differed from your hopes and dreams about him. mebbe stop stalking me now.

What should Blue be worth to a Foster owner today?
Not much and I say that seriously. If Foster plays, Blue is absolutely unstartable. If Foster sits, Blue is simply not dynamic enough to replicate the Foster role to help the Texans.

We saw that in full display against the Giants: the same Giants that have looked like one of the worst teams in the league so far. The Texans know (or soon will) that if Foster is expected to be out, their best efforts lie in getting Blue to do the things he can do best and using Grimes to do the things he does best and try to lean more on the passing game because without Foster, they are completely different.

Actually, and this is just a gut call, I think if Foster looks like he will miss a stretch of time, the Texans are going to be checking to see if BJGE is healthy enough to play. Even as a diminished player compared to what he was, he can still imitate foster better than Blue or Grimes by themselves.

Right now, Foster owners are in denial. Blue is garbage in their opinion, if they don't already carry him. Give this question a little time and you'll get a clearer answer. Lot of emotion riding on that question imo.

Right now, Foster owners are in denial. Blue is garbage in their opinion, if they don't already carry him. Give this question a little time and you'll get a clearer answer. Lot of emotion riding on that question imo.
if you ask me, hes worth alot to a foster owner unless you have a strong fill in on the bench. I know i have foster and i dont want to be scrambling on sundays trying to find a fill in. especially if its a late game.

Blue may not have looked great, but what he did exhibit was that he could get almost all the work with foster out. That alone makes him worth it for me to own. If i wasnt a foster owner, i wouldnt roster him though.

Or....right now Blue owners are overly optimistic as tends to be the case with many handcuffs.

I won't say I KNOW I'm right but I have seen absolutely nothing in watching Blue play that suggests to me that he can do what needs to be done for the Texans.

Here is what I saw watching the game:

-8 of 13 carries were 2 yards or less.

-No involvement in the passing game.

-Very little involvement in the game plan at all once the Texans fell behind.

-Failed to get a yard on the G/L (the Texans then attempted to pass it to AJ and then QB sneaked).

-Most series for the Texans opened with a pass which is polar opposite from when Foster plays and in every one of those series, Blue moved the ball no more than 2 yards at a time (one exception where he moved it 4).

Without Foster, the flow of the game isn't there unless Blue can catch AND move the ball more than 2 yards per carry. It's death for the Texans.

Joique Bell had similiar production against NYG in the season opener. I counted 13 carries with 9 going for < 3 yards. In the same game Reggie Bush had 9 carries with 7 going for < 3.

Just saying, Blue's first NFL start and his overall production numbers were adequate. I dont feel there is anyway he replaces Foster's production if Foster is out for an extended period but it seems you could do worse for a fill in RB2 on a bye week.

Joique Bell had similiar production against NYG in the season opener. I counted 13 carries with 9 going for < 3 yards. In the same game Reggie Bush had 9 carries with 7 going for < 3.

Just saying, Blue's first NFL start and his overall production numbers were adequate. I dont feel there is anyway he replaces Foster's production if Foster is out for an extended period but it seems you could do worse for a fill in RB2 on a bye week.
Good info and keep in mind when I say these things I realize I am biasing here because I am speaking more from a perspective of real-life impact to the Texans than I am of pure fantasy interest (so maybe I am sticking my "fantasy head" in the sand a bit. I'll back out of this convo a bit because I know most of the interest is purely ff.

Good info and keep in mind when I say these things I realize I am biasing here because I am speaking more from a perspective of real-life impact to the Texans than I am of pure fantasy interest (so maybe I am sticking my "fantasy head" in the sand a bit. I'll back out of this convo a bit because I know most of the interest is purely ff.
No need to back out as you are one of the people stating you actually watched him run. I am 100% luke warm on Blue. Have Foster in 2 leagues becuase he fell due to his injury risk. Would like to be optimistic but I believe his non-use in the passing game limits his upside in my leagues.

Thanks for your opinion.

if you ask me, hes worth alot to a foster owner unless you have a strong fill in on the bench. I know i have foster and i dont want to be scrambling on sundays trying to find a fill in. especially if its a late game.Blue may not have looked great, but what he did exhibit was that he could get almost all the work with foster out. That alone makes him worth it for me to own. If i wasnt a foster owner, i wouldnt roster him though.
Yes, he's worth much more to a Foster owner since he'll get touches the weeks you need them if Foster is out. I have Peterson (suspended), Foster, Ingram (injured), Jonathan Stewart (injured), and Shonn Greene. So if Foster is out Blue is practically crapping diamonds from my standpoint just because I need someone so bad that week.

But I don't expect he is going to produce like Foster. I also think there is a possibility Grimes or someone else can overtake him completely though I would think it is Blue's backup job to lose.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5469/arian-foster

Speaking Thursday, Texans coach Bill O'Brien confirmed that he expects Arian Foster (hamstring) to be a game-time decision for Week 4.

Foster remained limited on Thursday. Foster seems to be trending in the wrong direction for the second straight week, but the Houston Chronicle's John McClain believes he'll play. Even if Foster does suit up against the Bills, he's unlikely to be in for his normal workload, and will be at risk of an aggravation. Fantasy owners will know Foster's status when they set their Sunday morning lineups, as Bills/Texans kicks off at 1ET. Alfred Blue will make another start if Foster can't go. Sep 25 - 4:12 PM

Speaking Thursday, Texans coach Bill O'Brien confirmed that he expects Arian Foster (hamstring) to be a game-time decision for Week 4.

Foster remained limited on Thursday. Foster seems to be trending in the wrong direction for the second straight week, but the Houston Chronicle's John McClain believes he'll play. Even if Foster does suit up against the Bills, he's unlikely to be in for his normal workload, and will be at risk of an aggravation. Fantasy owners will know Foster's status when they set their Sunday morning lineups, as Bills/Texans kicks off at 1ET. Alfred Blue will make another start if Foster can't go. Sep 25 - 4:12 PM
I disagree with the bolded. If he plays, he's 100% (or something close to it)

He can be 100% and still get a smaller workload.

He needs a smaller work load. People are worried that Blue is going to get touches even when Foster is healthy? You should be happy. I'd rather have Foster at ~20 touches per game for the rest of the season than him at 4 games at ~30 touches.

Oh yea I definitely agree. 30 touches isn't a "normal" workload, well, it shouldn't be at least.

Decker played this week despite hamstring concerns and shut himself down after a half. This is a real possibility with Foster

I'm approaching Foster this week as if he plays, he's ready. On the week 4 preview (or maybe it was otc) Bloom said something about a player ideally should rest a week after the hamstring feels right before playing. Well, last Sunday we had reports about Foster running multiple 40 yard sprints to test out his leg with no evidence of a setback. Now this week he's practicing which leads me to believe he'll suit up this sunday.

If you guys aren't reading Jene Bramel's expectations column every weekend, you're missing out. He'll have great insight in a couple of days about Foster

I'm approaching Foster this week as if he plays, he's ready. On the week 4 preview (or maybe it was otc) Bloom said something about a player ideally should rest a week after the hamstring feels right before playing. Well, last Sunday we had reports about Foster running multiple 40 yard sprints to test out his leg with no evidence of a setback. Now this week he's practicing which leads me to believe he'll suit up this sunday.

If you guys aren't reading Jene Bramel's expectations column every weekend, you're missing out. He'll have great insight in a couple of days about Foster
Bud everybody will have great insight if foster plays in a couple of days because it will be Sunday and they will announce publicly if he's playing or not.... Its not like this guy knows what foster is going to do before foster knows himself.

maf005 said:
humpback said:
maf005 said:

Oh yea I definitely agree. 30 touches isn't a "normal" workload, well, it shouldn't be at least.
As soon as I read this Emmitt Smith texted me his career stats: :)

6 straight seasons of 350-400 touches per year FOLLOWED by 6 more productive NFL seasons.

Funny how in my FF lifetime we went from craving the bellcow back to being afraid of them.

I don't remember if, back in 1994, some dudes were sitting around saying "SELL EMMITT SMITH" because he's just come off 3+ years of crazy workloads but I do recall clearly headed into the 1998 season when I got laughed at for taking Terrell Davis over Barry Sanders and someone told me that crazy workload was not going to be repeated.

Not really trying to make a Foster point in all that except to say I think there are just some guys who can take this kind of work and some who can't. With Foster it is a blend because he clearly CAN carry the mail but at the same time he has some minor, yet nagging injuries. My thoughts: You just have to be able to stomach the roller coaster ride with him because you will enjoy the highest of highs and you will experience the lows too.

So, to me, there isn't an "answer" (keep him...sell him). It's more like "prepare yourself and use him in the best way you can".

My gut says no. However, even if he does play, I could see limited use and/or him getting reinjured during the game. I own Foster and am starting Richardson in his place (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit).

I think he's going to play this week. Whether or not he's worth starting is another question given the injury and match-up. But ye, I think he plays.

I have Blue starting over Joique Bell in one league, and I may keep it that way even if Foster plays. Foster is like a glass vase that got nudged and it's rocking back and forth at the edge of the table.

I would be hesitant but he seems like a guy who has hit a point in his life where he wouldn't play if he wasn't confident he would last the game. So if he starts then I would start him on my team.

i doubt he plays. he says it has been hurting for 2 months. does it magically get better after 2 weeks? but, if he does play, he is def in my lineup and is like a top 5 rb.

If he plays, I agree that you start him unless there's very specific information suggesting that you do otherwise--like "Foster is active if needed but so-and-so reports that Blue will start the game." Very few teams probably have a higher-percentage play to sub in over Arian Foster, even when you account for a possibility of re-injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Houston Chronicle expects Arian Foster (questionable, hamstring) to play in Week 4 against the Bills.
Foster is still a game-time decision and will need to go through pre-game warmups before getting cleared. He was reportedly close to playing last week and ended up being held out. If Foster plays, he could see his workload scaled back, with Alfred Blue getting touches as a change-of-pace. Texans-Bills is a 1PM ET game, so we'll know Foster's status early on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread