What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (3 Viewers)

I'm wondering if the RB1 Foster we knew is going to never come back ... a groin tear that bad ...ugghhh
The hard part is what when you are approaching 30 years of age, even when healthy, you need to work your butt off just to stay at your current level.

An injury like this at that age at a position so dependent on explosive physical ability, it's not a stretch at all to say Foster will never be the same. it is a set back, and again at age 30 as an NFL RB, it's very hard to get back to where you were, if not impossible to get back to how good he was last year. He was amazing.

A doc who worked in the nfl says Foster could return in 4 to 6 weeks. It varies according to him. Depends on the type of injury. It is possible be only misses around 4 weeks which means it may be possible to still compete.

I'm wondering if the RB1 Foster we knew is going to never come back ... a groin tear that bad ...ugghhh
The hard part is what when you are approaching 30 years of age, even when healthy, you need to work your butt off just to stay at your current level.

An injury like this at that age at a position so dependent on explosive physical ability, it's not a stretch at all to say Foster will never be the same. it is a set back, and again at age 30 as an NFL RB, it's very hard to get back to where you were, if not impossible to get back to how good he was last year. He was amazing.
Curtis Martin and Fred Jackson were anything but explosive at 28-29 and still performed. There are many that fail, but some guys can do it. IMO the ones that aren't burners fare better as they age.

Curtis Martin and Fred Jackson were anything but explosive at 28-29 and still performed. There are many that fail, but some guys can do it. IMO the ones that aren't burners fare better as they age.
Agree with this part. Generally true with most positions. When you are a speed guy, you are in some ways a one-trick pony and once it's gone, you're done.

Chris Johnson is a good example. He MAY still be a very capable football player. He was always tougher than expected, etc. But, in the end, he can't live up to his own comparison anymore and people tend to say he's lost more than what he really has just because that one thing that made him so dynamic was so strong a factor in how we think of him.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport passes along "some hope" that Arian Foster's recovery from groin surgery won't last three months.

Initial media reports on Foster's timetable were incredibly grim, suggesting he was a lock for the injured reserve-designated for return list. Foster may still end up there, but the Texans don't have to make that transaction for another month. Many outside medical observers were surprised by the bleak early timelines, and think Foster could be recovered in as few as six weeks. Stay tuned.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle reports there's "growing optimism" Arian Foster (groin surgery) may be sidelined only 4-6 weeks.

Initial reports pegged Foster's timeline at 3-6 months, but it's been dialed back the past two days. The Chronicle suggests Foster's surgery was "just" a sports-hernia operation. It can still be a multi-month injury, but is usually a straightforward recovery. Foster remains a candidate for injured reserve/designated to return, but the Texans have a month to make a decision. Foster could end up a massive bargain in the mid-rounds of fantasy drafts.

Source: Houston Chronicle

Aug 8 - 9:25 AM

I don't think your season is over if Foster were to miss around 4 weeks. In the tournaments, total points over 13 week period, you still can make it if you have some depth. It might take landing a good FAAB pickup or two but it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you rank him now in dynasty leagues? I should have gone with my instinct to try to sell a few weeks ago, but now I'm thinking I will just not keep him.

Clowney had "basic" sports hernia surgery last offseason. You can easily argue it may have directly or indirectly caused his Week 1 knee injury that required surgery. Even if Foster comes back this year, direct re-injury or compensation type of injuries are a serious concern. He plays a position that demands way more lateral movements than Clowney's position. Long term is probably a bit less bleak than short-term, though not by much.

Where do you rank him now in dynasty leagues? I should have gone with my instinct to try to sell a few weeks ago, but now I'm thinking I will just not keep him.
Because he had basic sports hernia surgery?
I guess that's a big part of the question. How many games it is realistic to expect to get production from him this year? 12? 8? 4?

I suppose that I was also looking at this year as kind of his last hurrah anyway, based on age and mileage, so depending on what he is realistically expected to produce, it may not be worth it. Also a question of the risk/reward of trying to get him back in the first round of the draft.

Because he had basic sports hernia surgery?
Would you rank him ahead of someone like CJ Spiller in a dynasty league?
Dude Spiller is clearly the better choice unless Foster doesn't miss much time. Kind of depends also if you want to win now. Foster could be the better option if you don't mind holding him.

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain expects Arian Foster (groin surgery) to return "no later" than the second half of the season.

As McClain notes, the Texans have a full month to decide whether to place Foster on I.R./designated for return, and will obviously be gauging his recovery speed in the meantime. McClain believes "at worst" Foster will return to play the final eight games of the season. While this is all good news, we're still having a hard time selecting Foster before the ninth round of 12-team drafts. That could change if positive reports continue on Foster's timeline.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Scored him in the 13th as a RB5 this past weekend. I Love him as a depth play for late season runs.... ESPECIALLY in leagues where a large portion of teams make the playoffs (ie 6 of 10 or if 6 of 12 teams make the playoffs) where you have less chance of that frozen roster spot costing you a playoff slot.

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports Arian Foster (groin surgery) would resume playing by late September in a "best case scenario."

This could happen if Foster avoids setback in his rehab, per Wilson's sources. After initial reports suggested Foster was headed for injured reserve-designated for return -- a mechanism that would cost him at least the first eight games -- it now appears Foster could escape missing only the first 2-4 weeks of the season. The Texans have a September 27 date with the Buccaneers. It's possible that will be Foster's target date.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Aug 24 - 5:25 PM

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports Arian Foster (groin surgery) would resume playing by late September in a "best case scenario."This could happen if Foster avoids setback in his rehab, per Wilson's sources. After initial reports suggested Foster was headed for injured reserve-designated for return -- a mechanism that would cost him at least the first eight games -- it now appears Foster could escape missing only the first 2-4 weeks of the season. The Texans have a September 27 date with the Buccaneers. It's possible that will be Foster's target date.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Aug 24 - 5:25 PM
He's a guy that can win your league in the 7th round. Sure, there's so risk and likely frustration with setbacks and uncertainty but when he's in there he's a terrific back that the offense flows through. I snagged Deangelo Williams very late to cover 2 of the weeks when bell is out and you the hope his absence doesn't go into weeks 5, 6, 7....

Last year was my first time owning Foster and also my last.. I had literal nightmares of him being tackled from behind. I wouldn't fault someone for taking the risk in light of this most recent news though.

A strategy is to take 3 WRs and 1 RB then take Foster and go for a backup 1 or 2 rounds later. I did not consider him because in the fifth, you can still grab a Jonathan Stewart or another WR.

A strategy is to take 3 WRs and 1 RB then take Foster and go for a backup 1 or 2 rounds later. I did not consider him because in the fifth, you can still grab a Jonathan Stewart or another WR.
Would you rather have a RB who is healthy at the beginning of the year or at the end?

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain expects Arian Foster (groin surgery) to return "no later" than the second half of the season.

As McClain notes, the Texans have a full month to decide whether to place Foster on I.R./designated for return, and will obviously be gauging his recovery speed in the meantime. McClain believes "at worst" Foster will return to play the final eight games of the season. While this is all good news, we're still having a hard time selecting Foster before the ninth round of 12-team drafts. That could change if positive reports continue on Foster's timeline.

Source: John McClain on Twitter
Later than the 2nd half of the season is 2016.

Last year was my first time owning Foster and also my last.. I had literal nightmares of him being tackled from behind. I wouldn't fault someone for taking the risk in light of this most recent news though.
I've had him since he was on the PS in one dynasty league. I think he personally cost me two titles and I think he personally won me two titles.

My opinion of his direct impact may be subjective but what is fact is that, regardless of how people's perception of him has shifted to this "always frustrating" player, the fact is he's pretty much punched my ticket to a title game in 4 out of the 5 years he's been around so, right or wrong, I'm not quitting him.

Fantasysports1 said:
So you would rather have a guy that has missed 22 games and has one season in his career with 200 carries?I get that risk adverse people won't want Foster, but then stay away from Stewart too.

in mocks from the 5 slot for 12 team non-ppr, start 1/2/3/0/1/1, I've enjoyed the results going stud RB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB

where those last 3 RBs are players like Doug Martin, Devante Freeman and Foster. Hopefully one of Martin or Freeman can hopld it together long enough for Foster to return.

And, yes, I tend wait wait on QB.

in mocks from the 5 slot for 12 team non-ppr, start 1/2/3/0/1/1, I've enjoyed the results going stud RB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB

where those last 3 RBs are players like Doug Martin, Devante Freeman and Foster. Hopefully one of Martin or Freeman can hopld it together long enough for Foster to return.

And, yes, I tend wait wait on QB.
What does that have to do with where he is actually getting picked?

At any rate, I think early 5th is an ideal spot.

Might not be able to get him too late in the draft if this pans out...

Texans | Arian Foster could return Week 2 Thu Aug 27, 02:13 PM

Houston Texans RB Arian Foster (groin) has been working out in Houston, and he's expected to return to the field in some facet by Week 2 to Week 4, according to ESPN 97.5 in Houston's Jayson Braddock.

Link to story
Arian Foster player page

Houston Texans RB Arian Foster (groin) has been working out in Houston, and he's expected to return to the field in some facet by Week 2 to Week 4, according to ESPN 97.5 in Houston's Jayson Braddock.

Link to story

Arian Foster player page
cmon everyone knows he only comes back when he is 100%. im not buying it.

I'd be shocked to sea full work load before mid season IF he comes back early and especially IF he stays healthy

been hard for him to do that last few years and after a groin tear ?

Link to story

Arian Foster player page
:boner: if this turns out to be true.

Link to story

Arian Foster player page
He had hernia surgery. That is fairly minor.

Link to story

Arian Foster player page
yes but he just doesnt come back "in some facet". he will be back or he wont. which is why this report sounds questionable.

Link to story

Arian Foster player page
yes but he just doesnt come back "in some facet". he will be back or he wont. which is why this report sounds questionable.
The "report" is questionable, yes.

But if the reporter was told he could be back around that time, then the reporter is just simply wording it poorly. I highly doubt anyone from the team said "in some facet".

People are sleeping if they pass on Foster in the 6th.
I have the first pick in the 5th and I am seriously considering it.
I absolutely would pull the trigger there. You won't get another chance. Even without knowing exact return dates, we need to update our thoughts on this. Seems like some of us are still operating under the news from almost a month ago but the reality is, almost immediately after the injury, almost every report that came out kept reducing the timeline and was more positive. Let's go "almost" worst end of what we've heard for a while now. Let's say he misses three games. Ok. Arian Foster misses 3 and I get him top of 5th? All day long. Heck, people are still mulling over L. Bell at 1.01 knowing he's out for 2.

Having my big $ draft tonight. Despite being pretty large prize pool, they aren't all the sharpest. I'm really hoping most of them are just thinking Foster ripped his groin off the bone because I really want to take Gronk, 3 WRs and then a RB in the middle 5th and Foster in the middle 6th. I'm nervous though.

Having my big $ draft tonight. Despite being pretty large prize pool, they aren't all the sharpest. I'm really hoping most of them are just thinking Foster ripped his groin off the bone because I really want to take Gronk, 3 WRs and then a RB in the middle 5th and Foster in the middle 6th. I'm nervous though.
I used almost this exact strategy in a 12 team keep 3 the other night. Got a lot of "FU's" when I took Foster in the 6th after going Gronk, WR, WR, RB, RB. Felt like "what the heck?" taking Foster on Tuesday, and starting to feel really good about it now. Yeah, you basically have to pray your other owners aren't up on this or aggressive enough to take him earlier than the 6th on just instinct at this point.

I used almost this exact strategy in a 12 team keep 3 the other night. Got a lot of "FU's" when I took Foster in the 6th after going Gronk, WR, WR, RB, RB. Felt like "what the heck?" taking Foster on Tuesday, and starting to feel really good about it now. Yeah, you basically have to pray your other owners aren't up on this or aggressive enough to take him earlier than the 6th on just instinct at this point.
Yeah, it's tough because my strategy really puts me on an island if I miss. I am glad to hear you pulled it off at least. Wish me luck, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread