What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (4 Viewers)

I've stopped hoping he'll turn things around, and I no longer seek out Indy games so I can watch him. Last night was just pathetic. He's making Donald Brown look like Marshall Faulk. Donald ####### Brown.

To help myself cope, I simply changed my mindset. Yes, I drafted him in the second round, but that was a long time ago. He's a starting NFL running back, so I'm not dropping him and obviously I can't trade him. So, he's simply my RB6 now, instead of the RB1 I thought I drafted. Sucks, but I have to accept it and move on. Gore, Gio, Ellington, Ogbonnaya and Vereen when he returns are ahead of him on my depth chart. I try not to think about him too much, and hope injuries don't force me to ever start him.

I've stopped hoping he'll turn things around, and I no longer seek out Indy games so I can watch him. Last night was just pathetic. He's making Donald Brown look like Marshall Faulk. Donald ####### Brown.

To help myself cope, I simply changed my mindset. Yes, I drafted him in the second round, but that was a long time ago. He's a starting NFL running back, so I'm not dropping him and obviously I can't trade him. So, he's simply my RB6 now, instead of the RB1 I thought I drafted. Sucks, but I have to accept it and move on. Gore, Gio, Ellington, Ogbonnaya and Vereen when he returns are ahead of him on my depth chart. I try not to think about him too much, and hope injuries don't force me to ever start him.
2nd round? How did you get him in the 2nd round?

I was in 4 snake drafts and he never lasted past the first.

Most of us blew 1st round picks on him.

I'm about to cut him in a standard redraft. Is it safe to assume he won't do much the rest of the way with how he is looking?

I think you can now safely cut him with confidence. What more do you need to see? After that fumble, he never went back in the game IIRC. He's lost in that offense. Doesn't match what the Indy offense was trying to morph into. He was supposed to bring the power run game. Turn the Colts from a finesse team to a power smash mouth team. The Colts seriously overrated his talents, and the Browns should be arraigned for highway robbery of the Colts 2014 first round pick. They should seriously consider cutting him and moving on. Admit the mistake rather than let it fester. The Colts are a better team on every snap that Richardson is sitting on the sideline. His addition to the field is a net negative both in terms of real football to the Colts and fantasy footballers everywhere (except the lucky ones who play against him).

He's a north-and-south runner who tries to be shifty. He loses a lot of speed in his cuts. He's not elusive and needs to stop trying to be. If Richardson is willing to change his running style he could still be effective. He needs a Marshawn Lynch type of transformation.

Lynch was sputtering. Acquired in a trade from Buffalo a quarter of the way into the 2010 season, Lynch didn't surpass 100 yards rushing in any of his first 18 regular-season games as a Seahawk. Heading into Seattle's eighth game last season, Seattle was 2-5. Lynch was averaging 43.8 yards and he came to Cable with a simple request: Tell me what to do.

"It's a big deal to me that he was willing to do that," Cable said.

To say it was a turning point for Lynch is more than a metaphor. He committed to the zone-running scheme implemented by Cable, a system that doesn't allow for a running back to hesitate and react, but asks him to make one cut and go.

"Once he grabbed onto it with both hands, he had tremendous success," Cable said.

Seattle has played 25 regular-season games since then, and Lynch has surpassed 100 yards rushing 16 times. He went from averaging 3.5 yards per carry his first 16 starts as a Seahawk to 4.8 the past 25. Seattle has gone 16-9 in those games, and Lynch has now rushed for more than 1,000 yards in two successive seasons.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-02/marshawn-lynch-seahawks-redskins-nfc-wild-card-nfl-playoffs

He's a north-and-south runner who tries to be shifty. He loses a lot of speed in his cuts. He's not elusive and needs to stop trying to be. If Richardson is willing to change his running style he could still be effective. He needs a Marshawn Lynch type of transformation.
I think this sums it up perfectly. It's a simple adjustment that may never happen. Weird, like a mental block.

The excuses made for TRich are starting to mirror the excuses for this player http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=689521&hl=%2Bmark+%2Bingram Mark Ingram. Sadly, I drafted both of them. Happily, neither is still on my team!
Ingram had the Heisman, but he didn't have the pedigree of Richardson coming out of college. Rich was drafted 3rd overall and the Browns traded up a pick to ensure they got him. He was Barry Sanders, Ki-Jana Carter, ADP, LT, McFadden... a truly elite RB prospect. His physique alone is what one would probably think of for the ultimate RB.

After finally seeing some of him last night, there were a couple of things I noticed.

1. Most of his runs seemed to be designed either behind guard or tackle; little outside, mis-directions, cutbacks, stretches...On these plays, he'd accelerate quickly to the line, get caught up in junk and then just try to bull his way forward. Didn't work; you never saw him "pop-out" the other side. This is all about patience. If he's not in a one-cut scheme, he needs to let the play develop and "find" the hole. It could be that Alabama could knock their opposing defensive line back 3 yards and open massive holes, giving T-Rich enough room to build up that head of steam and use his power. Tough to be a power back if you have to start shedding tackles at or behind the LOS.

2. I think he thinks too much of himself as a bowling ball of butcher knives. Every time he either was about to be contacted by a defender or was initially contacted, he lowers that shoulder, maybe throws a stiff-arm, but he never tries to wiggle his way forward, spin, juke or attempt other tactics to get through the initial contact. In the NFL, by the time he gets done trying to bowl over that defender or power through them, he's lost his momentum, and 2-3 other defenders have caught up to the play. He rarely avoids contact, but doesn't seem to have that burst/acceleration to "re-start" his run.

3. He doesn't seem to be running decisively. Maybe it's David Carr syndrome, but the more he struggles, the more it seems he tries to do. I noticed one play when it was 3rd and 1; this guy is the ultimate 1 yard getter, and while the Broncos did push the Indy O-line back a little, instead of putting his head down and just plowing forward, he seemed to dance a little. 3rd and 1 and he tries to get fancy; lost two yards on the play, Indy punt.

ugh...he's regressing by the week. I have to think a lot of this is in his head and he's just thinking too much as opposed to going out and running.

2nd round? How did you get him in the 2nd round?

I was in 4 snake drafts and he never lasted past the first.

Most of us blew 1st round picks on him.
I too was stunned. Got him #17 and was thrilled at the time.

Here is how it went down (note this is a QB flex PPR league):

1 Adrian Peterson

2 Doug Martin

3 Arian Foster

4 Ray Rice

5 Marshawn Lynch

6 Aaron Rodgers

7 Jamaal Charles

8 Peyton Manning

9 Steven Jackson

10 LeSean McCoy

11 C.J. Spiller

12 Alfred Morris

13 Calvin Johnson

14 Drew Brees

15 Julio Jones

16 Tom Brady

17 Trent Richardson

Looks like the coaching staff has really fallen out of love with him. They used him more when he was only with the team for three (3) days.

One more glimmer of "hope" I suppose is that perhaps the bye week helps him to get more comfortable with the schemes and playbook? But it looks like a true longshot. He'll need to blow up big time to get out of the dog house.

Looks like the coaching staff has really fallen out of love with him. They used him more when he was only with the team for three (3) days.

One more glimmer of "hope" I suppose is that perhaps the bye week helps him to get more comfortable with the schemes and playbook? But it looks like a true longshot. He'll need to blow up big time to get out of the dog house.
By "one more" I presume you mean "the absolute last". :kicksrock:

On one hand you say you try and follow the odds. But I see a huge flaw in that you never change your mind on players and you cherry pick your stats badly. You'll look for any facts at all to support whatever preconceived idea you have (cough Mendenhall, Mathews). But the fact is, It doesn't matter what he looked like running through huge holes at Bama, what the scouts said or where he was picked. What matters is how he has played against real competition in the NFL. The rest is all irrelevant.
Like I said, I don't agree with that. The draft gives you an objective indicator of how a prospect is rated by the NFL. When a guy is a former first round pick, that means that at one point or another scouts rated his ability very highly. Guys like Benson, Jones, Lynch, Bush, and Moreno all had extended stretches of their career when people thought they were basically garbage. You could've looked at their struggles and concluded that those players sucked, or you could have looked at their background and realized that they had some talent, but weren't put in a position to succeed.

Marshawn Lynch in Buffalo was a pretty average back. He wasn't horrible, but he wasn't all that amazing either. When he was losing his job to Fred Jackson, most people thought he was probably done as a starter in the NFL. His startup ADP around that time was in the round 8-10 range of a 12 team league. He was the 31st veteran RB chosen in this 2010 startup that I did. The justification was mostly the same as the one you're using. "Who cares if he was a top 15 draft pick? He has been totally average in Buffalo. He sucks." The catch is that the talent that made him a top 15 pick in the first place was all still there. It just hadn't been fully realized in Buffalo. Last year in Seattle with a good coaching staff and a superior supporting cast, Lynch became a 1600 yard 5.0 YPC runner. Nobody predicted this when he was RB31 in dynasty leagues.

It was basically the same story with Thomas Jones, Reggie Bush, and Cedric Benson. At one low point before his good years with Cincinnati, Benson was offered to me for a 2nd round rookie pick in a 14 team start 2 RB league with a diluted rookie pool (dev players). That's about the lowest price tag possible for a player who isn't on waivers. Here I am taking Thomas Jones as the 45th RB off the board in a 2004 startup draft. He now ranks 22nd on the NFL's all-time rushing list, right between Jamal Lewis and Tiki Barber (another late bloomer BTW). This past year I won one of my money dynasty leagues. I can safely say that I would not have claimed the title if I hadn't traded for Moreno in early November (before McGahee's injury) under the reasoning that, "Hey, maybe this guy doesn't suck quite as much as everyone says he does." Here's a really fun Reggie Bush thread that opens with this post:

Reggie is a guy you need to move if you can, and I mean before the season starts or early into it. Here's why:Reggie was the worst starting RB in the NFL last year and it wasn't even that close. When you consider everything and take it all into account, Reggie gave the least bang for your buck of any RB out there FROM AN NFL PERSPECTIVE. More on that later.

However, because he was very high draft pick and his team has a TON invested in him and had/have trouble going away from him to more effective players. He still had lots of opportunities last year and is likely to get a fair amount this year (for a while at least). He also had a HUGE amount of hype coming into the NFL and people love college highlights on youtube. So he still has value in the FF community because people feel like he will eventually turn it around, or that the team simply CAN'T go away from him.

CLASSIC sell high if you don't believe he will turn it around, even if his current value isn't at the "peak" you could have gotten for him. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Back to Bush the NFL running back (and why I don't think he will turn it around). For those who are familiar with DVOA, Bush was the worst rusher in the NFL last year by that standard. Basically, it means that you consider down and distance, and the defense the back is facing, how did that back in that situation compared all of the other backs in the league is those SAME BASIC SITUATIONS. When you compile all of that, guys like LT, Westbrook, Barber, Addai, Peterson etc came out on top. Bush was dead last at -26.7%, meaning he got -26.7% fewer yards than the average back in the same situations. The three guys above him on the list, all around -20% were Rudi Johnson, Cedric Benson, and Deshaun Foster. Yes, he was significantly worse than all three of those studs.

So we start there. But the comeback is always, "Yeah, but he's a threat to take it to the house so defenses have to plan for that.". The problem with that is that he DOESN'T take it to the house and everybody knows it at this point. His longest run last year? 22 yards. His longest reception? 25 yards. That's over 130 touches. Is the problem he can't break tackles? Is it that his vision is poor? Is his actual shake-and-bake not really as good as advertised? Dunno, don't care. "He's scaring defense and helping his team that way." just doesn't fly anymore.

Finally, to this point, it's REALLY hard to argue against the fact that Bush has been a very bad RB overall. But some folks will STILL say he's young and could still turn it around. And that is true. He IS young, and he does have a chance to do that because at SOME point he displayed a lot of talent. But really, what are the odds? How many backs have looked as bad as Bush has and then gone on to great (or even mediocre) careers? When I went back and looked around a little bit, the ONLY guy I noticed that started off very slowly and became a real force was Tiki Barber. So there is that hope. But even Tiki wasn't nearly AS bad, and he was one amongst a TON of guys who started bad and stayed bad, so the deck is stacked against you if you want to hang on to Bush.

So for my part, I have given up on him and I just got rid of him in the only league I had him. You can still get pretty nice value out of him right now. But if he gets truly BENCHED in the middle or near the end of this season, you will NEVER get anything substantial out of him. Take your lumps, find a lifeboat and get off of the Titantic, you will thank me later.
Sound familiar? Replace the name "Reggie Bush" with the name "Trent Richardson" and you'd get this thread. I can say pretty comfortably that nobody predicted Reggie would be a 1000+ yard 5.0 YPC rusher after he finished his third straight 3.X YPC season with the Saints. People aren't that patient. They look at what happened yesterday and base their long-term rankings on that. I've been around the forums long enough to see this same thing happen 5...6...7 times with different "bust" RBs. It's actually something that I actively seek out when I'm looking for value. As the saying goes...those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

As far as your other comments, I change my mind on players all the time. I traded Ingram and Moreno away everywhere that I owned them after their rookie seasons. There are players that I hated as draft prospects like Brandon Marshall and Frank Gore who went on to become early picks for my dynasty teams in subsequent years. The question is when to stick with your initial evaluation and when to abandon ship. That's an art more than it's a science. Maybe Trent is just a huge bust. IMO it's far more likely that he's a solid player whose real talent is being muddied by usage and situational factors.

If you want to talk about odds, you need to clarify your frame of reference. How many backs who averaged less than 3.6 YPC in each of their first two NFL seasons became good starters? Probably not very many. But how many of those backs were top 5 draft picks? Probably not very many, if any. So the odds are going to change depending on the criteria you're using to identify comparable players. If you want to talk about odds, go back and look at all of the RBs drafted in the top 10 in the past 10 years and see how many have been complete and total busts.

He had more carries last night than in his first game as a Colt.

I did not watch last night's game, but I followed the box score while I was working on other things. He averaged 4 YPC in the first half. He had a mediocre series or two at some point in the 3rd-4th quarter. From that point on his only carries came when the Colts were in obvious "run out the clock" mode.

Probably not a great game to be drawing huge long-term conclusions from.

Oh, and Donald Brown sucked even worse running the ball last night FWIW.

The Colts have a pretty tough schedule all season, but they are past a pretty brutal stretch of games that started with Trent's first outing against SF. They should be favorites in their next 5 games and hopefully they can start to establish something on the ground.

On one hand you say you try and follow the odds. But I see a huge flaw in that you never change your mind on players and you cherry pick your stats badly. You'll look for any facts at all to support whatever preconceived idea you have (cough Mendenhall, Mathews). But the fact is, It doesn't matter what he looked like running through huge holes at Bama, what the scouts said or where he was picked. What matters is how he has played against real competition in the NFL. The rest is all irrelevant.
Like I said, I don't agree with that. The draft gives you an objective indicator of how a prospect is rated by the NFL. When a guy is a former first round pick, that means that at one point or another scouts rated his ability very highly. Guys like Benson, Jones, Lynch, Bush, and Moreno all had extended stretches of their career when people thought they were basically garbage. You could've looked at their struggles and concluded that those players sucked, or you could have looked at their background and realized that they had some talent, but weren't put in a position to succeed.

Marshawn Lynch in Buffalo was a pretty average back. He wasn't horrible, but he wasn't all that amazing either. When he was losing his job to Fred Jackson, most people thought he was probably done as a starter in the NFL. His startup ADP around that time was in the round 8-10 range of a 12 team league. He was the 31st veteran RB chosen in this 2010 startup that I did. The justification was mostly the same as the one you're using. "Who cares if he was a top 15 draft pick? He has been totally average in Buffalo. He sucks." The catch is that the talent that made him a top 15 pick in the first place was all still there. It just hadn't been fully realized in Buffalo. Last year in Seattle with a good coaching staff and a superior supporting cast, Lynch became a 1600 yard 5.0 YPC runner. Nobody predicted this when he was RB31 in dynasty leagues.

It was basically the same story with Thomas Jones, Reggie Bush, and Cedric Benson. At one low point before his good years with Cincinnati, Benson was offered to me for a 2nd round rookie pick in a 14 team start 2 RB league with a diluted rookie pool (dev players). That's about the lowest price tag possible for a player who isn't on waivers. Here I am taking Thomas Jones as the 45th RB off the board in a 2004 startup draft. He now ranks 22nd on the NFL's all-time rushing list, right between Jamal Lewis and Tiki Barber (another late bloomer BTW). This past year I won one of my money dynasty leagues. I can safely say that I would not have claimed the title if I hadn't traded for Moreno in early November (before McGahee's injury) under the reasoning that, "Hey, maybe this guy doesn't suck quite as much as everyone says he does." Here's a really fun Reggie Bush thread that opens with this post:

Reggie is a guy you need to move if you can, and I mean before the season starts or early into it. Here's why:Reggie was the worst starting RB in the NFL last year and it wasn't even that close. When you consider everything and take it all into account, Reggie gave the least bang for your buck of any RB out there FROM AN NFL PERSPECTIVE. More on that later.

However, because he was very high draft pick and his team has a TON invested in him and had/have trouble going away from him to more effective players. He still had lots of opportunities last year and is likely to get a fair amount this year (for a while at least). He also had a HUGE amount of hype coming into the NFL and people love college highlights on youtube. So he still has value in the FF community because people feel like he will eventually turn it around, or that the team simply CAN'T go away from him.

CLASSIC sell high if you don't believe he will turn it around, even if his current value isn't at the "peak" you could have gotten for him. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Back to Bush the NFL running back (and why I don't think he will turn it around). For those who are familiar with DVOA, Bush was the worst rusher in the NFL last year by that standard. Basically, it means that you consider down and distance, and the defense the back is facing, how did that back in that situation compared all of the other backs in the league is those SAME BASIC SITUATIONS. When you compile all of that, guys like LT, Westbrook, Barber, Addai, Peterson etc came out on top. Bush was dead last at -26.7%, meaning he got -26.7% fewer yards than the average back in the same situations. The three guys above him on the list, all around -20% were Rudi Johnson, Cedric Benson, and Deshaun Foster. Yes, he was significantly worse than all three of those studs.

So we start there. But the comeback is always, "Yeah, but he's a threat to take it to the house so defenses have to plan for that.". The problem with that is that he DOESN'T take it to the house and everybody knows it at this point. His longest run last year? 22 yards. His longest reception? 25 yards. That's over 130 touches. Is the problem he can't break tackles? Is it that his vision is poor? Is his actual shake-and-bake not really as good as advertised? Dunno, don't care. "He's scaring defense and helping his team that way." just doesn't fly anymore.

Finally, to this point, it's REALLY hard to argue against the fact that Bush has been a very bad RB overall. But some folks will STILL say he's young and could still turn it around. And that is true. He IS young, and he does have a chance to do that because at SOME point he displayed a lot of talent. But really, what are the odds? How many backs have looked as bad as Bush has and then gone on to great (or even mediocre) careers? When I went back and looked around a little bit, the ONLY guy I noticed that started off very slowly and became a real force was Tiki Barber. So there is that hope. But even Tiki wasn't nearly AS bad, and he was one amongst a TON of guys who started bad and stayed bad, so the deck is stacked against you if you want to hang on to Bush.

So for my part, I have given up on him and I just got rid of him in the only league I had him. You can still get pretty nice value out of him right now. But if he gets truly BENCHED in the middle or near the end of this season, you will NEVER get anything substantial out of him. Take your lumps, find a lifeboat and get off of the Titantic, you will thank me later.
Sound familiar? Replace the name "Reggie Bush" with the name "Trent Richardson" and you'd get this thread. I can say pretty comfortably that nobody predicted Reggie would be a 1000+ yard 5.0 YPC rusher after he finished his third straight 3.X YPC season with the Saints. People aren't that patient. They look at what happened yesterday and base their long-term rankings on that. I've been around the forums long enough to see this same thing happen 5...6...7 times with different "bust" RBs. It's actually something that I actively seek out when I'm looking for value. As the saying goes...those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

As far as your other comments, I change my mind on players all the time. I traded Ingram and Moreno away everywhere that I owned them after their rookie seasons. There are players that I hated as draft prospects like Brandon Marshall and Frank Gore who went on to become early picks for my dynasty teams in subsequent years. The question is when to stick with your initial evaluation and when to abandon ship. That's an art more than it's a science. Maybe Trent is just a huge bust. IMO it's far more likely that he's a solid player whose real talent is being muddied by usage and situational factors.

If you want to talk about odds, you need to clarify your frame of reference. How many backs who averaged less than 3.6 YPC in each of their first two NFL seasons became good starters? Probably not very many. But how many of those backs were top 5 draft picks? Probably not very many, if any. So the odds are going to change depending on the criteria you're using to identify comparable players. If you want to talk about odds, go back and look at all of the RBs drafted in the top 10 in the past 10 years and see how many have been complete and total busts.
Injuries aside, was Reggie ever doing as poorly as Richardson is this year?

Year 1: 1300 total yards, 88 receptions, + 10 TDs rookie year, 16 games, 8 starts.

Year 2: 998 total yards, 73 receptions, 6 TDs, 12 games, 10 starts. This was on pace for year 1.

The Saints started limiting him with concerns about his ability to stay healthy.

Richardson was comparable in his rookie season and that made him a top-10 pick; it's what's going on now, with no injuries present, that has people concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had more carries last night than in his first game as a Colt.

I did not watch last night's game, but I followed the box score while I was working on other things. He averaged 4 YPC in the first half. He had a mediocre series or two at some point in the 3rd-4th quarter. From that point on his only carries came when the Colts were in obvious "run out the clock" mode.

Probably not a great game to be drawing huge long-term conclusions from.

Oh, and Donald Brown sucked even worse running the ball last night FWIW.

The Colts have a pretty tough schedule all season, but they are past a pretty brutal stretch of games that started with Trent's first outing against SF. They should be favorites in their next 5 games and hopefully they can start to establish something on the ground.
I wish you could find video of his first two carries EBF. Really looked like he got some stuff figured out. Reverted right back after.

Long term, they need to beef up that OL.
Why?

No one had a problem with the OL until Richardson starting running behind it. Ballard/Bradshaw looked great behind it. The problem isn't that they're not opening holes, it's that the one guy they now give the ball to the most is the one guy on the team that can't find or get through those holes.

You never know. I think it's totally fair to say that his NFL career to date has been a big disappointment, but I actually don't agree with that line of reasoning. Production hinges on many factors and I think a mistake that FF owners make every year is drawing premature long-term conclusions based on short-term results. Regardless of whether Trent ultimately succeeds or fails, one thing I know for certain is that FF players (and people in general) are extremely fickle and jittery. The result is that you have a pattern of players like Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, Marshawn Lynch, Knowshon Moreno, Reggie Bush, and Ryan Mathews who are treated like absolute dog meat by FF owners after they endure a rough patch, but who ultimately bounce back to reward patience.

Is Trent's college career irrelevant now? No, actually. Assuming that he's 100% healthy, he's still the same guy that he was at Alabama. All of the qualities that made him a unanimous elite prospect are still there. It might be the case that those qualities don't translate to the NFL and that he'll ultimately go down as a huge bust. That's one possibility. The other possibility is that he's a legitimate talent whose true ability has been obscured by a variety of muddy situational factors.

I have been around these boards for a LONG time now. Trust me, I remember what the mood was like about Benson, Jones, Lynch, Moreno, and Bush at times. Total negativity. Total backlash. When a player who comes into the league with certain fanfare and is hyped up to deliver huge numbers in redraft hits a brick wall, people go off the deep end with the massive negativity and hyperbole. What I'm trying to say is that, putting Trent aside, it is really not unprecedented (or even uncommon) to see this sort of thing happen. I try to stay away from the knee jerk lynch mob mentality stuff to make my own assessments. Maybe I've gotten this one wrong, but I can guarantee you that whether it's Trent, Ingram, JStew, Wilson, or some other current whipping boy, we haven't seen the last resurrection story from a guy that the FF community buried prematurely.

I'm just trying to provide an alternative viewpoint in what's sure to be an avalanche of negativity over the next week and possibly the entire season.
It's a fair point, but even in these best case scenarios what did these guy's value really ever return to, besides maybe Lynch?

What was Benson ever worth to dynasty owners after his bounce back? Virtually nothing on the trade market. Even as an example of a high-end bounce back he was never worth anything near Jordan Cameron. You couldn't touch Cameron for Moreno, Matthews, or even Bush right now.

I agree with you that the book isn't written on Richardson yet, but I think we're getting to the point where his upside is moving forever away from a dynamic runner in the vein of Adrian Peterson. I don't think anyone that drafted Benson, Moreno, etc feels vindicated by the "success" they had later on. Even if Richardson manages to become a volume plodder a few years from now it's not going to come close to covering the cost that many people paid for him, nor the opportunity cost they lost with years of him taking up a roster spot and putting up bad scores in their lineups.

Why?

No one had a problem with the OL until Richardson starting running behind it. Ballard/Bradshaw looked great behind it. The problem isn't that they're not opening holes, it's that the one guy they now give the ball to the most is the one guy on the team that can't find or get through those holes.

You never know. I think it's totally fair to say that his NFL career to date has been a big disappointment, but I actually don't agree with that line of reasoning. Production hinges on many factors and I think a mistake that FF owners make every year is drawing premature long-term conclusions based on short-term results. Regardless of whether Trent ultimately succeeds or fails, one thing I know for certain is that FF players (and people in general) are extremely fickle and jittery. The result is that you have a pattern of players like Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, Marshawn Lynch, Knowshon Moreno, Reggie Bush, and Ryan Mathews who are treated like absolute dog meat by FF owners after they endure a rough patch, but who ultimately bounce back to reward patience.

Is Trent's college career irrelevant now? No, actually. Assuming that he's 100% healthy, he's still the same guy that he was at Alabama. All of the qualities that made him a unanimous elite prospect are still there. It might be the case that those qualities don't translate to the NFL and that he'll ultimately go down as a huge bust. That's one possibility. The other possibility is that he's a legitimate talent whose true ability has been obscured by a variety of muddy situational factors.

I have been around these boards for a LONG time now. Trust me, I remember what the mood was like about Benson, Jones, Lynch, Moreno, and Bush at times. Total negativity. Total backlash. When a player who comes into the league with certain fanfare and is hyped up to deliver huge numbers in redraft hits a brick wall, people go off the deep end with the massive negativity and hyperbole. What I'm trying to say is that, putting Trent aside, it is really not unprecedented (or even uncommon) to see this sort of thing happen. I try to stay away from the knee jerk lynch mob mentality stuff to make my own assessments. Maybe I've gotten this one wrong, but I can guarantee you that whether it's Trent, Ingram, JStew, Wilson, or some other current whipping boy, we haven't seen the last resurrection story from a guy that the FF community buried prematurely.

I'm just trying to provide an alternative viewpoint in what's sure to be an avalanche of negativity over the next week and possibly the entire season.
It's a fair point, but even in these best case scenarios what did these guy's value really ever return to, besides maybe Lynch?

What was Benson ever worth to dynasty owners after his bounce back? Virtually nothing on the trade market. Even as an example of a high-end bounce back he was never worth anything near Jordan Cameron. You couldn't touch Cameron for Moreno, Matthews, or even Bush right now.

I agree with you that the book isn't written on Richardson yet, but I think we're getting to the point where his upside is moving forever away from a dynamic runner in the vein of Adrian Peterson. I don't think anyone that drafted Benson, Moreno, etc feels vindicated by the "success" they had later on. Even if Richardson manages to become a volume plodder a few years from now it's not going to come close to covering the cost that many people paid for him, nor the opportunity cost they lost with years of him taking up a roster spot and putting up bad scores in their lineups.
:goodposting:

"Hey, he might end up being Cedric Benson" doesn't exactly give the folks who paid 1.01 startup value for the guy warm & fuzzies, I'd imagine.

My start up looks great so far

Got Cobb / Julio / Vereen on the IR and Rich as my #1 RB; and no #1 pick next yr :(
I have the Cobb/Julio/Vereen trifecta as well. Traded away Trent, and Demarco Murray was part of the package I got in that deal. Injuries suck

Bottom line on Richardson is this:

I think you can't trade him right now. He is at rock bottom. If you trade him now, you'd be selling as low as you possibly could.

I don't necessarily know that you want to trade FOR him now...but it's a gamble that could pay off, if you are deep and if an owner is desperate enough.

Benson, Lynch, Bush, T.Jones, the list goes on and on of guys that ran a certain way, stunk up the joint, and then put it together.

I think Trent may be a lost cause for 2013....but I don't think he is a lost cause for his career. I think he needs to stop dancing, lose some weight, and commit to hitting the holes. He's a powerful runner, so it's time for him to run like a powerful runner should run.

In retrospect, it's interesting that at Alabama, Trent had a much better career than Lacy. However, the holes are huge at Bama, and once Trent hit daylight, college linebackers and DB's were no match for his strength.

Lacy didn't dance as much, and didn't do as much splashy stuff. But he ran downhill and picked up solid yardage. Obviously a much better NFL guy than college guy.

The guys who use their agility to find new running lanes in college, aren't able to do that in the pros. In the pros you take what is there, and get the big gains when they happen, which isn't often.

Bush figured it out, but it took him awhile. If Trent figures it out, he could make the transition. Right now, though, he stinks.

I think you can't trade him right now. He is at rock bottom. If you trade him now, you'd be selling as low as you possibly could.
Disagree with this. Quite a few (most, even?) people still see him as a top 10 dynasty RB, based on age, perceived talent level, and the lack of difference making RBs < 25 currently in the NFL. If we see 9 more games of under 50 yards per, a YPC hovering around 3.0, minimal work as a receiver, and Donald Brown eating into his workload, then it's going to be much, much harder for a lot of those folks to make excuses and look for the silver lining.

He could still turn it around, but if he doesn't soon, the bottom is really going to drop out on his value. Obviously you're holding if you're a true believer, but if you have doubts, I'd be moving him right the heck now.

Disagree with this. Quite a few (most, even?) people still see him as a top 10 dynasty RB, based on age, perceived talent level, and the lack of difference making RBs < 25 currently in the NFL. If we see 9 more games of under 50 yards per, a YPC hovering around 3.0, minimal work as a receiver, and Donald Brown eating into his workload, then it's going to be much, much harder for a lot of those folks to make excuses and look for the silver lining.

He could still turn it around, but if he doesn't soon, the bottom is really going to drop out on his value. Obviously you're holding if you're a true believer, but if you have doubts, I'd be moving him right the heck now.
I agree. Every week I think his value is as low as it can get, and every week it gets lower.

This entire time I've been sending offers, trying to buy low. Thinking back to some of those - I was very lucky that they got rejected.

I don't have an answer, anymore; I have no idea what to think. His name value makes it hard to buy low, and I no longer think it's "only a matter of time" before it rebounds.

In the pros you take what is there, and get the big gains when they happen, which isn't often.

Bush figured it out, but it took him awhile. If Trent figures it out, he could make the transition. Right now, though, he stinks.
I don't think that's the issue, though. I don't watch him and see a guy dancing too much. I watch him and see an old Marion Barber.

I think that's directly related to how talented the player was in the first place. Benson was a 4.6 guy who never had the tools to be much more than what he became with the Bengals. Ditto Moreno. Lynch has become a reliable top 10 FF RB. Reggie Bush is having a top 10 RB season. Thomas Jones had five straight 1000+ yard rushing seasons including two top 10 RB seasons in 2008 and 2009. Tiki Barber was an absolute monster by the end of his career.

Personally, I think Trent as a draft prospect was possibly the best of that group. I wasn't following the draft closely when Jones and Barber were entering the league, but this is how I'd rate the other guys based on my take on what I thought of them when they were draft prospects:

Bush

Richardson

-----------------

Lynch

-----------------

Benson

Moreno

Basically, Trent is a lot more talented than Benson and Moreno, so he has a chance to become much better than they ever have. I liked Lynch a good amount of Cal, but I would also rate Trent above him based on what I saw of the two in college. The prospect of getting a better Marshawn Lynch is pretty appealing.

FreeBaGeL said:
Why?

Well, Ballard and Bradshaw barely played this season before they got injured. It's kind of hard to draw definitive conclusions from a couple games.

Ballard averaged 3.9 YPC last season. As a whole, the Colts averaged 3.8 YPC. That ranks in the bottom 10 of the NFL. And that figure is skewed by Luck, the #8 rushing QB in the NFL with 255 yards at 4.1 YPC. A lot of people are desperate to pin this all on Trent, but let's not kid ourselves. The Colts are not a good running team. They weren't last year and they didn't do much of anything along the OL to improve matters. They actually lost Dwayne Allen after the first week of the season, and he's a pretty big asset as a blocker.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/26/secret-superstar-dwayne-allen/

[SIZE=medium]Translating to the Next Level[/SIZE]

What teams underestimated about Allen’s game was his blocking prowess. One of the harder abilities to scout in tight ends, blocking is about size, coaching, and effort. What scouts didn’t see in Allen was prototypical size and they likely questioned if his blocking skills would translate to the next level. The good news for the Colts is they did.

For the season, Allen had a run blocking grade of +10.1, third-best among tight ends and best among full-time tight ends. We graded him as having 56 positive blocks and 31 negative blocks. However, Allen wasn’t just a successful run blocker, he also graded out very positively in screen blocking and pass blocking. One of his best assets as a blocker is the ability to line up anywhere on the field, and indeed he lined up at 21 unique positions over the course of the season. He did a great job of using his leverage to his advantage and was the type of tight end you’d feel comfortable having singled on a down lineman.
So what do you really have with Richardson's sophomore season? A guy...

- Switching teams after two weeks and learning an entirely new offense.

- Going from one bad rushing team to one that's actually even worse (and that's without factoring in the loss of their best blocking TE).

- Playing in (from what I gather) a relatively high percentage of obvious running situations...

- Against a pretty brutal schedule that has included three of the best teams in the NFL (Seattle, San Francisco, Denver).

That's a pretty good recipe for failure. Add in all the scorned redrafters angry about getting burned and you're gonna have a pretty huge backlash.

I'm not a huge huge fan of Football Outsiders because they always end up with some wonky analysis where Pierre Thomas is rated as the best RB in the NFL, but what they attempt to do with their rankings is interesting. They try to remove all of the circumstantial noise in order to determine how well a player is actually performing relative to his opportunity. Ironically, they actually rate Trent higher in 2013 than 2012. In 2012 he had a -10.5% DVOA and ranked 35th among all NFL backs. This year despite having a much worse YPC he checks in with a -6.2% DVOA and is ranked 21st overall among NFL backs.

You don't have to believe any of that, but it does offer some suggestion that part of the reason why he's struggling is circumstantial. He's playing on awful running teams against tough defenses in obvious running situations. Do the math. Even this year McGahee is averaging 2.9 YPC on the same Browns team that Richardson left behind, but not surprisingly none of the haters have bothered to point that out.

You really playin' the "but he's better than used up street FA McGahee" card? Come on, dude. And of course some of his struggles are situational, but that situation is hugely relevant to his fantasy value moving forward. And no situational issues can completely excuse his performance at this point. You should watch a few Colts games on rewind or something man. Seriously. All kidding aside, Richardson has looked flat out awful.

Richardson is a 4.6 guy just like Benson was. He may have been faster way back when but id be surprised if he even ran that fast now. The haters don't bring up McGahee because there's really no point. Are they really supposed to compare Trent to a guy who was recently retired.

You really playin' the "but he's better than used up street FA McGahee" card? Come on, dude. And of course some of his struggles are situational, but that situation is hugely relevant to his fantasy value moving forward. And no situational issues can completely excuse his performance at this point. You should watch a few Colts games on rewind or something man. Seriously. All kidding aside, Richardson has looked flat out awful.
If McGahee was averaging 4.0 YPC for Cleveland, you'd be the first guy on here running with that story.

I watched last week's game. Trent looked fine. 4.0 YPC. When there was a hole, he got decent yardage. Many of his plays were doomed from the start.

Mostly what you see when you watch him is no real hole and defenders swarming the backfield in a millisecond.

Why did Marshawn average 5.0 YPC last season in Seattle when he was a 4.0 YPC guy in Buffalo? Is it because he suddenly became a different person? No. Maturity might be a factor, but the scheme and supporting cast are important. Right now, the Colts don't have much of an OL. However, I think they have a lot of the key pieces in place at other positions. If you look at what their GM is doing, he's methodically checking off boxes with each and every acquisition (TE Fleener, move TE Allen, slot WR Hilton, QB Luck, RB Richardson). One one or two more WRs and he'll have a full deck at the skill positions. I would expect the next 2-3 drafts to focus on building up the line, not just to improve the running game but also to make life easier for Luck (who does A LOT on his own).

I've certainly given Richardson a long leash, longer than most. Apparently not as long as others though. At any rate, I didn't feel it was fair to judge Richardson until we had a larger body of work in the Indy offense. I believe we have that now. 4 games is enough to see he just isn't getting better. He's been thoroughly outplayed by D. Brown, yes Donald Brown! Now, I still think there is a possibility that he carves out a decent NFL career down the line. I still see flashes of a good RB. At this point however it's blatantly obvious he isn't the generational talent many of us thought he was coming out of college. This is by no mans a death sentence on his value. It's just a coming to terms on what he is IMO. We need to stop thinking about and referencing the kind of RB he was in college because that guy hasn't show up yet in the NFL. It most definitely hasn't shown up in Indy. This far into his career it's just probably not going to either.

Back to square one. If you think Trent has "looked fine" in a Colts' uniform, then you're seeing what you want to see. Different player, same story.

Out of curiosity, what's the excuse for Richardson not being able to put Donald Brown on the bench? Maybe Brown is actually the late blooming former 1st round bust that's finally showing his true talent in this story.

Richardson is a 4.6 guy just like Benson was. He may have been faster way back when but id be surprised if he even ran that fast now. The haters don't bring up McGahee because there's really no point. Are they really supposed to compare Trent to a guy who was recently retired.
He's fast enough. You don't see it now because he hasn't been in a position to use that speed very often. Even for a sprinter like Spiller or Charles, the overwhelming majority of their carries will be between 0-15 yards. It's rare that you get to see a RB's top gear, but Trent has shown in the past that he does have speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2LJWRpR6Fw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qw18dOvJzE

http://youtu.be/_hOwKu7YVZk?t=4m33s

Is he a burner? No, but at 230 pounds he's not expected to be winning every footrace.

He's fast enough. You don't see it now because he hasn't been in a position to use that speed very often. Even for a sprinter like Spiller or Charles, the overwhelming majority of their carries will be between 0-15 yards. It's rare that you get to see a RB's top gear, but Trent has shown in the past that he does have speed.

Is he a burner? No, but at 230 pounds he's not expected to be winning every footrace.
Any clips not from college? Like i said way back when. Right now i don't think he could beat Luck in a footrace. He's been in the NFL for a season and a half, time to look at his NFL game tape.

Any clips not from college? Like i said way back when. Right now i don't think he could beat Luck in a footrace. He's been in the NFL for a season and a half, time to look at his NFL game tape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-cZPMB-p4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-cZPMB-p4
Nice run. Not sure it showed his speed though but each kinda sees what they want i guess. There was no threat of him even being touched until he nicely bounced it outside at the 2nd level.

haha, I picked this guy at #2 in a PPR redraft over Charles. I am a friggen moron. Thankfully I got Gordon and Blackmon in the late rounds to help off set it a little.

I have tried and tried, but right now in my work league I can't even trade Trent Richardson for a box of Mighty Wings. EVERYONE thinks he's a bum.

Plus the Colts still have the Bengals and Chiefs during key playoff weeks. If a hot free agent comes along and I need another spot... time to drop.

Not selling high on Trent after the Indy trade could wind up being one of my bigger fantasy regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried and tried, but right now in my work league I can't even trade Trent Richardson for a box of Mighty Wings. EVERYONE thinks he's a bum.

Plus the Colts still have the Bengals and Chiefs during key playoff weeks. If a hot free agent comes along and I need another spot... time to drop.

Not selling high on Trent after the Indy trade could wind up being one of my bigger fantasy regrets.
That's the problem. When was the sell high? Right after the trade or maybe after that game vs. SF. But TRich owners felt his TD in that game was a sign of things to come so we held...but he sucked...so we held...and he still sucked...and we held again but he became worse. Now no one wants him and figure that they'd rather just sign him off waivers as a flyer if he's released than trade even a kicker or D for him.

he's terrible.

I don't watch college, so I'm just assuming from what i read that he had these huges holes to chug through, and he never had worry about quickness, or reading any kind of blocking.

thx to nfl rewind I've been able to watch his runs, along with some other guys, and I see the same thing that's been pointed out by several others in threads like these, and elsewhere -- he seems to have no clue where he should be running, and tends to run to traffic, which is probably why he has so many broken tackles.

also, he just doesn't have the quick feet to get to a spot, even if he knew where it was.

people make a big deal about brown in that denver game, but it really played out exactly as expected, except for brown performing even worse than you might think.

that game had the expectation of a lot of passing to keep pace with manning, and brown is out there on the passing downs because richardson apparently can't be trusted, so brown got plenty of snaps.

ps

He's playing on awful running teams against tough defenses in obvious running situations. Do the math. Even this year McGahee is averaging 2.9 YPC on the same Browns team that Richardson left behind, but not surprisingly none of the haters have bothered to point that out.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

yeah, even mcgahee can barely beat him out.

what point did you think you were making there?

but to accomodate you, I'll be happy to point that out going fwd.

Back to square one. If you think Trent has "looked fine" in a Colts' uniform, then you're seeing what you want to see. Different player, same story.

Out of curiosity, what's the excuse for Richardson not being able to put Donald Brown on the bench? Maybe Brown is actually the late blooming former 1st round bust that's finally showing his true talent in this story.
Outstanding post.

Every other time I looked up last night, it was Brown carrying the ball.

Richardson can't even (clearly) beat out a guy who wasn't even a factor when the season started.

Sad.

Outstanding post.

Every other time I looked up last night, it was Brown carrying the ball.

Richardson can't even (clearly) beat out a guy who wasn't even a factor when the season started.

Sad.
Truth is that Brown always has been talented. He got benched in his first year because of pass blocking. Since then he has gotten nicked up and doesn't play well hurt. But he has never been as bad as his critics would have you believe.

Just noting how far the arguments in favor of Richardson have fallen now.

"If you cherry pick out his best drives and carries he's averaging almost a whole 4ypc!"

"The bad player who has earned a RBBC isn't the most terrible RB ever!"

"A washed up 32 year old has struggled in one of the same situations that Richardson did so he's at least as good as that guy!"

"If you cherry pick out his best drives and carries he's averaging almost a whole 4ypc!"

"A washed up 32 year old has struggled in one of the same situations that Richardson did so he's at least as good as that guy!"
lol you forgot "look at that run he had in college 3 years ago"

sounds really good for a top three pick.

TWO first round picks dropped on this bum.

because of these two first rounders, he is quickly becoming one of the biggest busts in recent NFL history, up there with Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread