What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roddy White - Well, looks like he has screwed us all (1 Viewer)

I still wont start him this week. I think he is still a week away from being FF relevant. I would treat him as a desperation WR4 this week - and see what he contributes, how many snaps he plays, how effective he looks, etc. before even thinking about putting him in as a starter.

I still wont start him this week. I think he is still a week away from being FF relevant. I would treat him as a desperation WR4 this week - and see what he contributes, how many snaps he plays, how effective he looks, etc. before even thinking about putting him in as a starter.
Nate Ravitz on the ESPN podcast had a great line earlier this year: "I'm comfortable with Roddy having his first big game of the year on my bench." That's exactly how I feel about him this week. Although it's also worth pointing out that the next two weeks, he's facing Sherman and Revis. So even if he's healthy, it may be a little while before we see the old Roddy.

Those of you carrying Roddy with a decent team ahead of him, weeks 12-16 should help your push to the finals.

Those of you carrying Roddy with a decent team ahead of him, weeks 12-16 should help your push to the finals.
Agreed. I'd much rather him sit out this week (hell, until week 12 would be fine by me) to get to 100%, then I can use him as my WR3.

ebsteelers, "ouch" if you're relying on Drew Davis at this point.
well hes played 87% of snaps last 2 weeks, and in deeper leagues he could be an option especially with the bye weeks

some heavy hitters on bye week, (broncos, lions, cruz/nicks giants, fitz, boldin, shorts/blackmon)

Agreed. I'd much rather him sit out this week (hell, until week 12 would be fine by me) to get to 100%, then I can use him as my WR3.
If he feels he's close, I don't mind him playing this week. He's basically had 3 weeks to rest. Definitely going to wait and see what he does 1st before I feel confident starting him. But I think it's a good sign that he's going to give it a go this weekend.

how will him playing or getting snaps effect drew davis is what im wondering
Davis will occupy Julio Jones spot but maybe only on 3 WR sets (which should be every down since they can't run the ball). He's the 3rd WR now for the remainder of the year. so he should get Harry Douglass numbers at best. Whoever is covering him will be the worst DB on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not understand the logic of not starting him if he starts for Atlanta. He is a terrific player and if he is ready to play, he is ready. I only know of one person who sat Gronkowski that first week when he returned as he waited to see what he had and that one person regretted it.

Don't overthink this. This is not the same scenario of Roddy playing out as a lame duck just to preserve his streak. Julio is gone now and this is an injury that Roddy has sat out for about the length of time we normally see people sit out for with this injury. He can easily start this week and get more fantasy points than what most people will have available to them on a heavy bye week.§

I do not understand the logic of not starting him if he starts for Atlanta. He is a terrific player and if he is ready to play, he is ready. I only know of one person who sat Gronkowski that first week when he returned as he waited to see what he had and that one person regretted it.

Don't overthink this. This is not the same scenario of Roddy playing out as a lame duck just to preserve his streak. Julio is gone now and this is an injury that Roddy has sat out for about the length of time we normally see people sit out for with this injury. He can easily start this week and get more fantasy points than what most people will have available to them on a heavy bye week.§
If I didn't have Keenan Allen, I'd consider it. Althought in the other league I have him, my WR options are ABrown, Allen, Amendola. I could throw Roddy in the flex spot. But it's a tough call.

Snake bitten owners who started him earlier this year might disagree with you, but your point about finally getting rest (for the ankle via the hammy) is a very good one.

ebsteelers, "ouch" if you're relying on Drew Davis at this point.
well hes played 87% of snaps last 2 weeks, and in deeper leagues he could be an option especially with the bye weeks

some heavy hitters on bye week, (broncos, lions, cruz/nicks giants, fitz, boldin, shorts/blackmon)
If Roddy is out ..I was thinking of picking him up to start instead of Streater or VBrown due to the number of snaps ...he is against Carolina D (who I own) but they will be passing alot

I have Drew Davis plugged in as a bye week filler. If news comes out that Roddy is going to play and WON'T be limited, I'll swap roddy in for Davis.

You guys want to sit out all season. He needs to play sometime, if for nothing else to get in shape again.
Where did I say I want him to sit out all season? And how does what I want have anything to do with what the Falcons will do?

For my FF team (which is what my post was about, as I'm not a Falcon fan), I have adequate WR depth to fill in at WR3 for a few weeks, so I don't "NEED" Roddy back. I would love to have him back, at 100% for the FF playoffs, where he gives me a great WR3, and in theory, an advantage at that position.

FIrst off, look at his stat lines weeks 1-5. Just because he's starting/playing (Even getting 9 targets in week 4) doesn't mean he's productive. He has shown in the past, that he will play as an injured decoy. I think people need to see that the 32 year old is healthy.

Clearly, if your trotting out guys that are probably going to max out at 4-5 points, throw Roddy in and hope for the best. But when I can start D.Jax, D.Moore and Boykin, I can wait until Roddy proves he can at least show he can record 50+ yards receiving. Some people are in dire straits - but with the emergence of some decent WR help on the WW the past few weeks, there could be options with a higher floor. Roddy could go out and 6-72-1...but he could also still be a week away, and go 3-28, like he did (or worse) in week's 1-4.

He was basically undraftable. The only value he has is the potential that he may play for 3 weeks out of the year. That will not be for the team he was drafted on in 90% of cases.

Any meaningful season over for him.
You keep saying this but if he goes off in weeks 14-16 his season will be meaningful to me.
And yet he's still not playing...Hamstrings and ankle injuries tend to linger. He's not going to be they guy he was coming off of 2 injuries and barely playing until at least week 10. Rest doesn't guarantee he will be healthy.
Flap, just cut the guy then and you don't have to worry about it.

You keep saying this but if he goes off in weeks 14-16 his season will be meaningful to me.
And yet he's still not playing...Hamstrings and ankle injuries tend to linger. He's not going to be they guy he was coming off of 2 injuries and barely playing until at least week 10. Rest doesn't guarantee he will be healthy.
And pickup who? If he's been on my roster this long, there's no cutting him. I'm being realistic, something that his owners have a problem because they drafted him high. Truth hurts sometimes.

And pickup who? If he's been on my roster this long, there's no cutting him. I'm being realistic, something that his owners have a problem because they drafted him high. Truth hurts sometimes.
But then stop the gloom and doom - you obviously think he has some value going forward - if not you cut him.

But then stop the gloom and doom - you obviously think he has some value going forward - if not you cut him.
I believe he has more value than anyone on the waiver wire. Correct

Is this the first practice he's had on a Wednesday all year? I'm think I might have to start him over James Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread