What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (2 Viewers)

Police kill a lot more than 10 people per year, but maybe you mean killing of unarmed black people. There is no need to do what about Chicago to the police brutality issue.
Maybe I misunderstood something along the way but when we talked about injustices and murders I thought we were talking about blacks people. 

My main point is that while injustice is bad, murder is far worse and for some reason doesn’t generate a fraction of the energy. That’s a problem. A gigantic problem 

killface said:
let's try and keep this one the fantasy impacts long term here

I think he has recovered.  Yesterday i said to my friends if he doesn't dig himself out of this whole his last year is going to be a terrible one.  I think he has dug himself out.  But my opinion doesn't matter, it's the guys on the field
1.  I think talking about what he said and the reactions definitely belongs in this thread.  That being said, the comments on the whole issue, and posts that don't really pertain to what Drew said, or the reactions to Drews words, should maybe be put in the thread discussing all this stuff.

2.  He has definitely not dug himself out.

1.  I think talking about what he said and the reactions definitely belongs in this thread.  That being said, the comments on the whole issue, and posts that don't really pertain to what Drew said, or the reactions to Drews words, should maybe be put in the thread discussing all this stuff.

Fair points.

Mods - feel free to move any of my recent posts here to that thread.

It will be interesting to see what happens.  Anyway you cut it he has generated quite the story line going into the season

Distractions are team killers

DREW BREES QB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas both said Thursday that they had accepted Drew Brees' apology following his Wednesday comments on the NFL's social justice protests. 

“One of my brothers made a public statement yesterday that I disagreed with,” Thomas said. “He apologized and I accept it because that’s what we are taught to do as Christians." Kamara shared similar sentiments. “I’ve had a day to digest the comments that Drew made,” Kamara wrote. “I was disappointed and hurt. We talked and I explained to him where he dropped the ball and he understood. But now it’s time for us to be part of the solution, not the problem. We have to educate to progress.” Brees' apology made it through to two key teammates, but we would imagine he has a long way to go toward regaining the full trust of his locker room. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Jun 4, 2020, 3:57 PM ET

2.  [Brees] has definitely not dug himself out.
Brees is not done by any means, but healing and reconciliation have begun in earnest.

Not that you've said this, but: I don't think it's fair to say that Brees is pretty much in the same position today with his teammates that he was in yesterday.

[quoting Pro Football Talk]

... Brees' apology made it through to two key teammates, but we would imagine he has a long way to go toward regaining the full trust of his locker room. ...
Addressing the house, not Faust:

It's been more than two teammates. At least four have Tweeted about it positively today (oh, five, actually ... forgot about Armstead) and two went on CNN this morning with positive reactions to Brees' apology.

And IMHO, it makes a lot of sense that the team leaders that have spoken/tweeted today each represent several more players who are keeping things close to their vests.

One teammate who has not yet commented on Brees' apology is Malcolm Jenkins. However, with him I think it's a little more complicated and it will take him more time to address the matter publicly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link

Dianna Russini✔@diannaESPN

The Saints met virtually as a team today and spent the entire meeting discussing the last few days. QB Drew Brees addressed the team and apologized. I was told by one player "it got real in their discussions, it was emotional" Another player added "We love Drew through it all"

Whats next for the Saints?
One player said "Most guys know, Drew is a type to make it happen, not just say it. He is going to exceed expectations to ensure he gets this right."

Most common response I am getting tonight from the Saints “we want to keep all this in house”

The left / right thing is mostly due to some of the statements in this thread.  I believe most agree we need to look at the racial injustices of police brutality. 
Race for sure but police in general. The American police kill way more white people than other comparable countries. Not a bit, way more. The whole system is broke.

Race for sure but police in general. The American police kill way more white people than other comparable countries. Not a bit, way more. The whole system is broke.
Yet if someone is breaking into a home and they don't have a gun, who do you think they will call?

Yet if someone is breaking into a home and they don't have a gun, who do you think they will call?
Oh you like to answer questions with questions - Why is it that American police kill more people, per capita, by a WIDE margin in the developed world? Are you implying somewhat of an idea: "We as a society accept the fact that our police might kill us, but with a guy in our house that might kill us RIGHT NOW, we will still call the police to protect us"

Is that the gist of what you are trying to get across here. Or in other words "If you don't like police then fine, don't call them when you need them"

I'm not putting words in your mouth I'm just trying to understand what you are saying. 

travdogg said:
That is really sad. Drew Brees has done more for the New Orleans community than anyone over the last 15 years. To turn on him because of one statement is embarrassing.

I do disagree with Brees' statement,  and he probably should have just said nothing, but this feels like a gigantic overreaction. Cancel culture is the dirt worst, as is this idea that you have to be 100% in one direction or the other. You can support BLM and still not support kneeling, you can support protests, and not support looting. 
Well said.

Brees should have kept his mouth shut, but he has so much goodwill in the bank that this one verbal misstep should not be a stain on his reputation.

Well said.

Brees should have kept his mouth shut, but he has so much goodwill in the bank that this one verbal misstep should not be a stain on his reputation.
Agree. He has apologized and it wouldn’t surprise if he made a big donation to some cause. However, it does show a lack of understandIng the point of taking taking a knee during the anthem. It isn’t a good look considerIng he works in the profession at the epicenter of the controversy and works in a field where a majority of the employees are black. I imagine it might motivate his opponents, which is the last thing I would want to do in his profession.

Well said.

I sympathize with all athletes.  They get asked their political opinion and when it doesn't align with the left the right says to stick to sports.  When it doesn't align with the right the left tell you to stick with sports.  I am sure the questions were direct and they wanted to know his opinion and he gave it willingly and due to the current status of the country the opinion seemed insensitive.  I believed Brees' actions should speak for themselves and not some quote people are overreacting on.

Simple yes or no: 

Is it possible....to agree changes needs to be made, BLM, and you don’t like it when people kneel during the NA or when the colors are presented? 

Bigboy10182000 said:
It’s simply a way to get you off the point and into line. Nothing more. It’s happening in this thread already. How many people touched that Chicago comment you made a few pages ago besides me? It’s 2020 where emotion > facts

Because it shows a basic misunderstanding of the issue, if you'll allow me to explain and read through before you respond, hopefully I can lay it out.

People in general are overwhelmingly more likely to be killed by the people they live around, in their towns and neighborhoods, when it comes to violent crime. Due to the fact that black americans are still more likely to live near black americans and white americans are still more likely to live near white americans, a lot of the violent crime within each population statistically is going to look "self-inflicted", which in itself (labelling something as "black-on-black" or "white-on-white" crime as if these are cohesive groups and not just people who live near each other) is a misunderstanding of what's going on because that type of violence is much more of an economic/class issue than a race issue. And so is the fact that neighborhoods and towns are still so likely to break down along racial lines like that. 

But that's another conversation entirely, so I'll continue:

The big thing is that people (civilians) murdering each other is ALREADY ILLEGAL and justice is already sought in those cases. 

Police killing citizens, while also technically illegal, is something that very rarely results in what your average person would consider "justice". Police in America are more likely to interact with a black person than a white person in the first place due to profiling. Then, the next step is that they're more likely to arrest a black person than a white person for the same non-violent crime (for instance, simple drug possession or a traffic crime). In those interactions, and obviously in violent crime situations also, they are more likely to perceive a threat and use excessive force or lethal force against a black person, compared to a white person. Unarmed and non-violent black suspects (even using the word suspect is a loaded term here because the point is that it doesn't even always take a positive ID, probable cause, or reasonable suspicion) are just less likely to make it through an interaction with police alive compared to a white person, and that's what it boils down to.

So lately in this country you may see the misleading statistic that police officers kill almost as many, or as many, white people as black people. People are parroting that right now just like you're bringing up unrelated civilian crime in Chicago. But that refers to police killings involved in violent crimes. Remember what I said above about non-violent and unarmed black people being killed at a higher rate. So that's a case of statistics lying to your face because the important context there is that police interact with black people at a much higher rate, despite there being tons more white people in this country to begin with. And since police are more likely to take a violent approach to dealing with a black person, every interaction is more dangerous including ones that should not turn violent at all.

And in almost all cases of police killings, white or black, cops are suffering nothing but a slap on the wrist or a transfer to a new town or a paid vacation. No matter how many times they've had complaints of violence or excessive force filed against them, they're protected because they can say they feared for their life (which due to profiling and subconscious biases, they are actually more likely to feel, which is another branch to this whole thing that this post isn't about). Even if caught on film. Even if they aren't using their body cams. Even with witnesses.

That's what the protests and BLM are about, because police in this country are out of control and basically have immunity when it comes to consequences for their actions. In general police officers interact with black people at an unreasonable rate compared to white people, while perceiving more of a threat  to themselves even when black people DO comply or DON'T have a weapon. So they are killing black people in situations where they wouldn't even pull a gun or use force on a white person. They aren't de-escalating, they are treating certain populations like deadly criminals from the jump in their interactions, and there are a lot of reasons for that, some of which I've already mentioned or implied.

Listen, it's complicated. And I'm sure I didn't change your mind here. But if you're asking in good faith why these protests exist for police violence but not for civilian violence in a city like Chicago, this is your answer. And hopefully I delivered it in a reasonable and polite way, because this argument/question you brought here can and many times is seen as purposefully disingenuous, but I don't think you're doing that so I give you the benefit of the doubt. 

by_the_sea_wannabe said:
nothing to apologize for
Agree. I was thrilled to see his initial comments. They only confirmed my opinion of him as a man of integrity and I agreed with them completely. Very disappointed to hear of his apology. I wish he would have stood by his original statement, but I suppose he felt he had to backpedal for the sake of team unity. Ah, well... 

:thumbdown:

Agree. I was thrilled to see his initial comments. They only confirmed my opinion of him as a man of integrity and I agreed with them completely. Very disappointed to hear of his apology. I wish he would have stood by his original statement, but I suppose he felt he had to backpedal for the sake of team unity. Ah, well... 

Free speech in opposition of the leftist mob is hate speech.

Welcome to the new America. 👍

He had to backpedal for the sake of his NFL career.  And how do yo know he has integrity?  He's done some shady stuff too, he's not just this perfect model citizen. 

Simple yes or no: 

Is it possible....to agree changes needs to be made, BLM, and you don’t like it when people kneel during the NA or when the colors are presented? 
Is it possible to be proud of your kid winning first place in a race, and also sad that your neighbour died? 

Yes.  But maybe don't bring that other thing up at the funeral.

You asked...you tell me....you must have a ranking
I mean if you agree ‘changes need to be made’ you must be referring to police brutality and the disparity in policing between the black and white communities and the systemic racism that exists within our justice system that disproportionally negatively impacts blacks. 

That seems way more important to me than getting our patriotic feelings hurt. 

I sympathize with all athletes.  They get asked their political opinion and when it doesn't align with the left the right says to stick to sports.  When it doesn't align with the right the left tell you to stick with sports.  I am sure the questions were direct and they wanted to know his opinion and he gave it willingly and due to the current status of the country the opinion seemed insensitive.  I believed Brees' actions should speak for themselves and not some quote people are overreacting on.
:goodposting:

I don't know why any high profile athlete gives a "sit down" interview anymore.  If I'm Drew you send me 10 questions and I'll answer them and have my team of media professionals, agents, and lawyers vet them before I hit send.  

Was anyone thinking "I wonder if Drew Brees is patriotic?"  "I wonder if Drew Brees loves the flag?" The whole episode was unnecessary.

Heck, just sign on to FBGs as "Drew Brees Fan" and type your thoughts to your heart's content.  Like a comedian testing out new material before getting it out to a wider audience.  

Brees probably should just say to hell with everyone and retire.  He doesn't need this.   I can see him trying to redeem his reputation, but is playing going to do that?.  Is it worth it?

One teammate who has not yet commented on Brees' apology is Malcolm Jenkins. However, with him I think it's a little more complicated and it will take him more time to address the matter publicly.
Malcolm will be keynote speaker on Tuesday for Philly School District virtual graduation. Interesting timing. I don't think he'd specifically address it there, but the speech may be higher profile now.

Brees probably should just say to hell with everyone and retire.  He doesn't need this.   I can see him trying to redeem his reputation, but is playing going to do that?.  Is it worth it?
Wouldn't want to go out on this note.  He'd have to answer questions about this the rest of his life.

Drew is doing all the right things with his teammates, and he'll do some interview with Booger about soul searching and positive discussions and then this will all be over.

As the wise Coach Ditka once said "This too shall pass"

Wouldn't want to go out on this note.  He'd have to answer questions about this the rest of his life.

Drew is doing all the right things with his teammates, and he'll do some interview with Booger about soul searching and positive discussions and then this will all be over.

As the wise Coach Ditka once said "This too shall pass"
I believe Brees has suffered enough on this and people should back off.  Piling on seems to be vogue now days.  Brees is a great guy that shouldn't have said what he did at this time.  His timing was horrible, but enough is enough.  I don't believe the overblown coverage of Brees' statement is justified.  

I agree. Instead of trying to be a man and face his teammates this season, he should wilt and take his ball and go home. He doesn't need this. It's totally not worth it. I'm sure this would do wonders for his reputation that people speak so highly of in this thread. 

I believe Brees has suffered enough on this and people should back off.  Piling on seems to be vogue now days.  Brees is a great guy that shouldn't have said what he did at this time.  His timing was horrible, but enough is enough.  I don't believe the overblown coverage of Brees' statement is justified.  
How has he suffered?

How has he suffered?
really?  You don't think he's suffering from anxiety over this?  He knows he shouldn't have shared his beliefs at this time.  The timing was bad, but I'm sure he feels horrible about the entire situation and I believe he has suffered enough over it.  Move on.

really?  You don't think he's suffering from anxiety over this?  He knows he shouldn't have shared his beliefs at this time.  The timing was bad, but I'm sure he feels horrible about the entire situation and I believe he has suffered enough over it.  Move on.
Deleted b/c this won't ever stop. 

I'm pretty sure that every 30-year-old Black man living in Louisiana is quite accustomed to having to work with authoritarian racist white dudes. They'll get through it.

Malcolm will be keynote speaker on Tuesday for Philly School District virtual graduation. Interesting timing. I don't think he'd specifically address it there, but the speech may be higher profile now.
Per Shaquille O'Neal, who was on the Saints team call, Jenkins privately accepted Brees' apology (well, privately until Shaq mentioned it ) 

Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps · 14h

Shaquille O’Neal says he was on the call with the Saints today when Drew Brees apologized to his team. He said Brees’ teammates asked him to do more going forward.
Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps

O’Neal said Malcolm Jenkins was the first one to accept Brees’ apology, and that he accepted it, too.
O'Neal also addressed the matter on an airing of "NBA on TNT" last night** with Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith:

Tim Reynolds ✔@ByTimReynolds

On TNT, Shaquille O'Neal reveals that he was on the call where Drew Brees apologized to New Orleans teammates today. O'Neal and Charles Barkley both insisted that Brees made a mistake, and O'Neal said he accepted Brees' apology.
Not mentioned in the link is that Barkley also expressed forgiveness of Brees and defended Brees on air. Kenny Smith said that he still felt hurt and reading between the lines, Smith is in more of a wait-&-see mode.

** link to 14-minute segment, audio is a little weak.

This line of thinking is so flawed. There are two possible conclusions: either Bress feels bad and is "suffering" or he isn't. If he is suffering it is because a) he realizes his statement hurt people because it misrepresented what kneeling during the anthem was about or b) he is more worried about his legacy and public preceiption. In either case he was misguided and wrong.

It may be that Bress does not feel horrible at all and he believes what he initially said. Either way again what he said misrepresented the intent of kneeling. By acknowledging he misrepresented the issue and issued an apology is not political correctness. 

A certain subset of this community refuses to acknowledge the intent of kneeling for the anthem. Per Nate Boyer, the green beret that advise Karpernick "...the protests are about racial inequality, social injustice and police brutality, and that kneeling during the anthem was a mechanism to raise that attention and to get those voices heard." Trying to change the narrative to make this an issue about patriotism only serves to perpetuate the injustices.  

A certain subset of this community refuses to acknowledge the intent of kneeling for the anthem. Per Note Boyer, the green beret that advise Karpernick "...the protests are about racial inequality, social injustice and police brutality, and that kneeling during the anthem was a mechanism to raise that attention and to get those voices heard." Trying to change the narrative to make this an issue about patriotism only serves to perpetuate the injustices.  
You've read this morning's USA Today piece about Boyer's reaction to Brees' Wednesday comments. It's a good, short read. Quoting Boyer:

"I'll just speak on the Drew Brees thing really quickly – he's a really good dude, man. He does a lot for the city of New Orleans ... Even what he said in his response, well, he said what he said, so I don't know what he meant exactly. But I absolutely don't think he meant to ostracize himself or make this issue about something that it's not.

"But the fact of the matter is that we've gotta ... make sure that the narrative is understood that the protests are about racial inequality, social injustice and police brutality, and that kneeling during the anthem was a mechanism to raise that attention and to get those voices heard. But it's not about disrespecting the flag or disrespecting the military, and I think Drew knows that.”

Boyer continued: "I also understand what he was talking about in the other part of that video when the anthem plays, because I feel the same way. And that's not a bad thing to feel patriotic. It's not a bad thing to love your country and want to stand with your hand on your heart.

Users who are viewing this thread