What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (4 Viewers)

Reading Blood Gospel now. James Rollins had some fun books before he started writing Cussler- esque crappy Sigma books. Nothing he's written is great but his Crichton-esque stuff was at least decent. BG is co written so hopefully that influence will pull him out of the cesspool he wallows in recently. So far with the Christian history artifacts this one looks like a blend of Chricton and Dan Brown.
Oooof. Horrible. It's like they took all the worse parts of Dan Brown and Twilight into one craptastic waste of brain cells. Yet it's still better than the Ambercrombie books...

Started "Lone Survivor" last night. Having trouble putting it down. Best book I think I've ever read so far.
Yup. Best I've read, although the sample isn't huge. Any recommendations since I liked this one so much?
18 Hours: The True Story of an SAS War Hero - this book is about an Australian who fought in Operation Anaconda. I really liked the guy, and the story was crazy.

Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood - not SpecOps, but a really interesting story of an average Marine infantry officer in Iraq.

Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War - Green Beret in Iraq. Dude is a trip...doesn't give a flip.

And one fiction book. The author was the co-author of American Sniper, which is the story of "the most lethal sniper in us history" Chris Kyle. This one was really action-packed, and high on realism. Or so I think.

Sniper Elite: One-Way Trip: A Novel

Thank you.

Did you read American Sniper? Any good?
No not yet. It's on my list.
I read it and liked it better then "Lone Survivor"

Chris Kyle and Marcus were very good friends,

American Sniper leaves out pretty much all of the Seal training that Marcus did such a good job telling that story, so your not reading the same the same ole poop, and I don't remember many political rants that Marcus went off on.

The one thing I really liked about Chris's story is the passages that his wife writes, She talks about the difficulties of raising children while her husband is gone and the cold distance she feels from him on his return home.

It's pretty chilling to hear him speak of killing so many people, and having absolutely no remorse at all.

The men that do these jobs are truly of a different breed.

RE: Wool/Shift

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -

Microscopic robots may soon be detecting and even preventing diseases instantly at doctors' offices across the nation, eliminating the need for multiple tests or treatment plans.

It may sound like science fiction, but one of the nation's top nanotechnology scientists said it could be only four or five years away.

"I think it's coming pretty soon," said Dr. Shree Singh, the director of the Center for NanoBiotechnology Research at Alabama State University. "In the near future, you will have some small nanomachines that will basically cure the disease before it even happens. Basically any kind of disease diagnosis or prevention can be done through nanobiotechnology."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23788311/scientist-tiny-robots-can-find-and-kill-diseases#axzz2ikSpJjjR
LOL, I call bull#### on that spoiler. Didn't realize Dust was out but I'll have to download err, pick it up.

Thank you.

Did you read American Sniper? Any good?
Read it, thought it was pretty cool, not great, not bad. Dude was a pretty solid badass.

Anyone read anything by Victor LaValle? His stories and books usually involve mental illness and take place in Queens. Really funny, dark themes. I've read all of this stuff so far: short-story collection, Slapboxing with Jesus and three novels, The Ecstatic, Big Machine and The Devil in Silver.

He is only 41 so hopefully he'll be around for a while.
dot

Just finishing The Blood of Heaven by Kent Wascom, and I really enjoyed it. It's receiving excellent critical reviews. It is a first novel by a New Orleans/LSU guy who is heavily influenced by the darker Cormac McCarthy. Set in the founding of our country down in Louisiana it is a story about the raw border country outside of New Orleans and the men who tried to create their own nation there in the beginning of the 19th century.

Highly recommend to all of you Blood Meridian fanboys (like me).
Sounds good. In.

I'm almost finished with Phillip Meyers' "The Son". It's a multi-generational story of a Texas family from around the time of the Alamo to modern-day. I'd recommend this one highly, especially if you like Westerns and the other big Texas authors (or if you just like good writing).
Hmm, just happened to start this one the other day...looking forward to it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NF6YLM/ref=s9_simh_bw_p351_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1N2K8D8YGRRVAMW7E0F9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1560405482&pf_rd_i=154606011

Finished Elantris by Sanderson. Not bad. I can see why he was chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series. Just started book 1 of the Wheel of Time series, now that I know it was finished.
That's one series I wish I could unread. It started off so good and then meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Enjoy the 11,916 pages!

Scott Lynch's Republic of Thieves has finally come out. I liked the first two (lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies). It's not groundbreaking literature, but it's better than Clive Cussler. Two orphans trained as thieves bouncing around from scam to scam, but with magic and weird, unnatural cities as backdrop. Fun, but not life changing. Be interesting to see if whatever drama he went through that delayed the book will make his writing darker, it's already on the grim side, like a fantasy Michael Connely.
Just finished Red Seas -- a little too boaty for me, but I liked it. Turns out my wife went to school with the author. She ran into him at a wedding and afterwards she asked if I'd heard of his books; I just happened to be halfway through Red Seas. Weird.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
I'm almost finished with Phillip Meyers' "The Son". It's a multi-generational story of a Texas family from around the time of the Alamo to modern-day. I'd recommend this one highly, especially if you like Westerns and the other big Texas authors (or if you just like good writing).
Hmm, just happened to start this one the other day...looking forward to it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NF6YLM/ref=s9_simh_bw_p351_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1N2K8D8YGRRVAMW7E0F9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1560405482&pf_rd_i=154606011
thoughts?

thoughts?
Only about 6 chapters in. The bouncing around in the timeline early kind of pissed me off, but the guy can write. I'm glad we got into some violence early.

Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzalez.

Pretty good read about those who survive disaster, getting lost in the woods, 9/11, etc. Why they survive while others with better training may not, why young kids are more likely to survive than older ones. Why rule followers often don't survive but those who think for themselves do.

I just finished Salinger by David Shields and Shane Salerno.

While it covers his life and works quite well, and integrates all the interviews and public comments into a seamless narrative (the entire book is composed of fragments from a multitude of people), after I was done I wanted to reach out and punch David Shields in the face.

What a colossal a-hole.

And I used to like Shields. I loved Reality Hunger. But his persistent, snide, dismissive, and even somewhat angry attacks on Salinger were both tiresome, and at times even disgusting (such as suggesting that Salinger liked young women because they reminded him of the emaciated concentration camp survivors he found in WWII - a grotesque and troubling psuedo-psychoanalytical leap).

At one point Shields adroitly notes how Salinger was all too aware of how writers can be vampires of other writers. All I could think was, yea, no shit David.

Part of Shields' intent was to demythologize the man and show you how incredibly flawed and even reprehensible he could be, but frankly I came away from the book losing more respect for Shields than I did for Salinger.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - at the end they reveal the contents of the famous "vault" Salinger kept of all the writing he refused to publish over the past 50something years.

- There's a few more Glass stories, mostly focusing on Seymour Glass' life before he killed himself in Bananafish. They'll be eventually published together in a collection about the Glass family (eta: though I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple pop up in The New Yorker, which was Salinger's favorite venue).

- There's a novel about Sergeant X, the shellshocked soldier from the short story To Esme - With Love and Squalor. It's about his experiences in WWII, including his discovery of the Holocaust.

- There's another collection of stories meant to illustrate and popularize Vendata Hinduism, a religion Salinger was committed to for most of his life.

I think that's it. Publication is slated to begin in 2015 and 2020 and be released in "irregular" installments. It's controlled by the J.D. Salinger Trust, which was set up by Salinger himself in 2008 and has only two members: his widow Colleen and his son Mathew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished:

Into the wild - krakauer. I'm obviously late to the party on this. It's a decent read. Better than Thin Air

David and Goliaths- Malcolm Gladwell. If you like past Gladwell books ( i do), then you'll like this one. The usual mix of anecdote with counter-intuitive facts presented in thought provoking way. It hit on a couple of angles that I'd been thinking about so timely for me.

I'm also reading random first hand memoirs of Holocaust survivors online. Makes one want to cry.

Just finished Doctor Sleep Stephen King's sequel to The Shining. Good read, goes quick but certainly not on The Shining level of scary page turner.

I just finished Dr Sleep last night..

I enjoyed it quite a bit, it was an easy read. That being said, I guess I was a little disappointed..

I expeced more carnage... more main characters dying.. All the good main characters survive. I kept waiting for one of them to bite the

dust Stephen King style, but it never happened.
I have to agree, it was fine but a little to easy for everything to work out in the end. For King it was a bit disappointing.

Evidently, I read this twice.

Anyway, really good. Warning, though - no wrap-everything-up resolution.

About 20% into Dr Sleep and am enjoying it.
Finished The Son last weekend. I liked it quite a bit. The comanche stuff was fantastic. I found I heavily disliked the main characters though, so there's basically no rooting interest. I also felt that he wasn't at his best providing the female perspective for J.A. -- definitely was the weakest part for me.

As far as wrapping it all up

I took it as no one owns the land in the end. Also enjoyed the bit of Garcia revenge there.

Double Down, by John Heilmann and Mark Halprin. It's the sequel to Game Change- this time around they tell the story of the 2012 election. The suspense is lacking since we all know the outcome, but there's some great stories in there. For instance that the Bush family, led by matriarch Barbara, hates Rick Perry's guts and were determined to do anything they could to destroy his chances. Or that Huntsman and Romney come from two long competing Mormon families and have very little love for each other.

Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread