Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
AK83NY

Anyone own a 4K Television

1 minute ago, Charlie Harper said:

Sorry I suck at explaining. The "TV area" will be the left side of the room (the right dining area). LEFT wall will be about 7' from TV center. RIGHT wall will be about 19' from TV center. Sofa positioned 13' in front with 4' behind. 

From your explanation it seems like the asymmetry between the left and right walls will be an issue.

I would say yes it will be. 

Disappointed in the Prime Day sales so far.

I've been watching for the 65" TCL 6 Series or Sony X900H to go on sale, but nothing so far. Best Buy is guaranteeing $1000 as a Black Friday price for the Sony.

Are $900 and $1000 reasonable sales prices for these sets, or should I continue to monitor? This is a want, not a need, so I can probably convince myself to wait for a deal.

Edited by Dragons

Costco has the Samsung Q6DT 85" for $1699 which is $500 less than yesterday.  I know it is a little older than the Q8DT, but at half the price it might be worth it.  Any thoughts?

It will be replacing a 60", 5year old Visio so it should be a step up regardless.

6 hours ago, Dragons said:

Disappointed in the Prime Day sales so far.

I've been watching for the 65" TCL 6 Series or Sony X900H to go on sale, but nothing so far. Best Buy is guaranteeing $1000 as a Black Friday price for the Sony.

Are $900 and $1000 reasonable sales prices for these sets, or should I continue to monitor? This is a want, not a need, so I can probably convince myself to wait for a deal.

:confused: It's 998 on Amazon right now.

13 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

:confused: It's 998 on Amazon right now.

It's been $970 - $999 since I've been watching it (for about two weeks). Is this the low sales price for the Sony?

Samsung Q7 75 inch Magnolia QLED is $500 off today at Bestbuy

At $1700 that's a little steep for me right now since I just jumped ship from the day job to be my own boss and now get the luxury of paying more than my house payment a month on health insurance starting in November. Thanks Obama.

So back to the TCL since the 65 inch Samsung is only like $50 off. TCL 6 series 65 inch is either $799 or $899. The $899 I assumed was the newer year model. I'm VERY happy with last year's 75 inch 6 series I'm watching right now. But the extra $100 is because it is Mini LED over the cheaper model which is just QLED. Is the Mini LED worth the extra $100 over QLED. 

17 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

Samsung Q7 75 inch Magnolia QLED is $500 off today at Bestbuy

At $1700 that's a little steep for me right now since I just jumped ship from the day job to be my own boss and now get the luxury of paying more than my house payment a month on health insurance starting in November. Thanks Obama.

So back to the TCL since the 65 inch Samsung is only like $50 off. TCL 6 series 65 inch is either $799 or $899. The $899 I assumed was the newer year model. I'm VERY happy with last year's 75 inch 6 series I'm watching right now. But the extra $100 is because it is Mini LED over the cheaper model which is just QLED. Is the Mini LED worth the extra $100 over QLED. 

Yes/No depending on who is doing the review. Rtings has it at a 7.9 while Cnet has it at an 8.8. Cnet has typically been a pretty huge fan of TCL and Rtings is much more focused on the test data, which they do more of it seems.

IMO it's worth the extra 100. Now I am just waiting for the 85" to make it to 8 Series or Hisense H9 series.

• Thanks 1

Someone in a local Facebook Marketplace is offering a Panasonic S60 with a Sony soundbar for $225. It seems like its around 7 years old or so but from a size perspective, it's a big upgrade from what I have. :whistle:. They say it's a 65 inch but wouldn't the "60" in S60 mean it's a 60"?

Panasonic tc-p65s60

Good deal?

Edited by Senor Schmutzig

Took advantage of Prime Days and Best Buy matched the 100 off 55" Samsung Q80T. Colors are phenomenal. 

7 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Someone in a local Facebook Marketplace is offering a Panasonic S60 with a Sony soundbar for $225. It seems like its around 7 years old or so but from a size perspective, it's a big upgrade from what I have. :whistle:. They say it's a 65 inch but wouldn't the "60" in S60 mean it's a 60"?

Panasonic tc-p65s60

Good deal?

The p65 part of the model number is the size.  

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

The p65 part of the model number is the size.  

Yeah, I added that later after the person gave me the complete model number. Originally it was just a Panasonic S60.

9 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Panasonic tc-p65s60

Good deal?

I have a 60"ST60. I would check for image retention or burn in before buying it. Seems like a good price though. 

21 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Yeah, I added that later after the person gave me the complete model number. Originally it was just a Panasonic S60.

The 60 is the margin % that was originally baked into the Best Buy retail price.

4 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

You know, finding a TV stand for a 75" that doesn't break the bank is not simple.

Yep. I wound up at this little furniture store that nobody goes to. They had ones that were like $500. I found one in the close out room in the back for like $120. I jumped all over it. 

15 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

You know, finding a TV stand for a 75" that doesn't break the bank is not simple.

I had to improvise. Found a really nice one at Costco (they don't have them all the time but are a very nice price) and it would have sat on it just fine. My issue is that I can't use it's feet because of my center channel speaker, so I wound up buying this portable mount from Amazon. Putting that behind the console and wala....

Edited by Hawks64
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

Vizio now has an OLED? How does it compare to the LG OLED?

Doesn't seem like anyone or note has gotten their hands on one to test yet. Rtings and Cnet both don't have them, looks like they may have just hit the market beginning of Oct.

• Thinking 1

25 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

I had to improvise. Found a really nice one at Costco (they don't have them all the time but are a very nice price) and it would have sat on it just fine. My issue is that I can't use it's feet because of my center channel speaker, so I wound up buying this portable mount from Amazon. Putting that behind the console and wala....

Yeah, I'd thought about using a similar stand but my wife gave it the crinkley nose.

• Laughing 1

59 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Yeah, I'd thought about using a similar stand but my wife gave it the crinkley nose.

So you really can't see the stand, since the console sits in front of and over it.

Was very disappointed.  About a month ago, we rearranged our family room to mount the tv over the fireplace.  I could not drill down far enough due to the brick.  I do not want to play around with it because we are renting the house.  So the mounting, and new tv is on hold.  I am trying to find a new stand for the tv that can fit on the mantle.

But... still looking at those TCL 6 series.

• Like 1

i absolutely hate tvs over the fire place

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, belljr said:

Agree. I also don't like to sit in row 1 at the theater. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, belljr said:

Works better for the configuration of the room. It will be a better viewing distance.

54 minutes ago, Drunken knight said:

Was very disappointed.  About a month ago, we rearranged our family room to mount the tv over the fireplace.  I could not drill down far enough due to the brick.  I do not want to play around with it because we are renting the house.  So the mounting, and new tv is on hold.  I am trying to find a new stand for the tv that can fit on the mantle.

I'd recommend also checking out the HiSense H9G. Very similar to the TCL 6. 

I just got a 65", and the picture is amazing.

• Like 1

Anyone ever purchase a Samsung Q80T? I am going to be finishing the basement over the next month or 2 and am looking for opinions on TVs

The room will be pretty dark w/ minimal sunlight hitting the screen (not sure if that's a big deal anymore), TV will be used mostly for watching sports, movies and video games. The last TV I bought was a Vizio 47" in in 2010, pretty sure whatever TV I get is going to blow my mind. Looking for a 55-65" probably, and budget is between $1000-1800ish.

TVs I have my eye on so far are the Samsung Q80T & Sony X950H.

TIA

Edited by The Hank

47 minutes ago, The Hank said:

Anyone ever purchase a Samsung Q80T? I am going to be finishing the basement over the next month or 2 and am looking for opinions on TVs

The room will be pretty dark w/ minimal sunlight hitting the screen (not sure if that's a big deal anymore), TV will be used mostly for watching sports, movies and video games. The last TV I bought was a Vizio 47" in in 2010, pretty sure whatever TV I get is going to blow my mind. Looking for a 55-65" probably, and budget is between $1000-1800ish.

TIA

Rtings comparison.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Wall Mount.   I got a nice one off of Amazon for $50 for my 75".

26 minutes ago, offdee said:

Wall Mount.   I got a nice one off of Amazon for $50 for my 75".

I would but there's no wall there. The previous owner built out a recess to put a TV set in.

1 minute ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I would but there's no wall there. The previous owner built out a recess to put a TV set in.

The wall mounts pull out almost 2 ft., swivel, etc.   Mount it in the recessed area and just pull it forward.

You can still put a console below it for components, etc. and it doesn't need to be wider than the TV since the mounted TV will just float over it.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:49 PM, belljr said:

I was all for it until I bought this house and placed a TV up there. Just put it up on the mantle with the legs on it. I sat on the couch and my neck was cranked back to see it. I left it there for a few days and then put it to the left of the fire place. 

On 10/20/2020 at 10:56 AM, Hawks64 said:

So you really can't see the stand, since the console sits in front of and over it.

Can you leave the wheels off that thing?

On 10/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, TheFanatic said:

I was all for it until I bought this house and placed a TV up there. Just put it up on the mantle with the legs on it. I sat on the couch and my neck was cranked back to see it. I left it there for a few days and then put it to the left of the fire place. 

My favorite thing ever... Mantel Mount

So awesome, 3 years in.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Can you leave the wheels off that thing?

Yep, I don't have the wheels on mine. Really the only option for me based on where it's at in the room. Too far out to use a wall mount and because of the center channel can't use the feet.

ETA you're able to raise or lower the mount in ~6" increments IIRC. It was a bit of a pain to get the correct height but overall I think it works.

Edited by Hawks64
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, Drunken knight said:

How hot does the fireplace get? Electronics and heat....... 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, The Hank said:

TIA

I have been looking at that tv but have been reading about it on rting site.  Interestingly the 90T and 80T are the exact same price 75 inch right now on Best Buy.  I just pulled the trigger on the 90T.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, JaxBill said:

Took advantage of Prime Days and Best Buy matched the 100 off 55" Samsung Q80T. Colors are phenomenal. 

On 10/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, The Hank said:

TIA

Do it. I stream my TV and with the refresh rate sports don't have that jumpy streamed look. Very satisfied with my purchase.

21 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Do it. I stream my TV and with the refresh rate sports don't have that jumpy streamed look. Very satisfied with my purchase.

I convinced the Mrs. and got the green light for the 65" Samsung Q80T - was thinking about waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday to pull the trigger on the order (basement probably wont be finished until beginning of December.

I have Comcast/Xfinity, will I have issues w/ the refresh rate on live sports (I hope not!)

As an aside, I'm soliciting for suggestions on Soundbars - looking for best bang-for-your-buck (and something that kids/wife will be able to use easily).

I've had a bad experience with Vizio soundbars before (with bluetooth subwoofer cutting in/out) - so any suggestions on which way to go would be great!

I was looking at the Samsung HW-T60 on Sams Club, but if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great! Hoping to stay <$300

Edited by The Hank

2 hours ago, The Hank said:

I convinced the Mrs. and got the green light for the 65" Samsung Q80T - was thinking about waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday to pull the trigger on the order (basement probably wont be finished until beginning of December.

I have Comcast/Xfinity, will I have issues w/ the refresh rate on live sports (I hope not!)

Shouldn't.  I stream Xfinity.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:56 AM, Hawks64 said:

I ordered one up and put it together last night. This was the perfect solution to how I wanted to set things up. Thanks!

• Like 2

I really wish they’d start making OLEDs in smaller sizes.  Once you watch one, it’s hard to go back to LCDs

On 10/13/2020 at 9:18 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

Holy crap. Costco's version of the X900h is on sale for $1570!!!

Now I gotta figure out how to return this one I bought to Best Buy and get my $330 difference!

Edit: Yay! BestBuy has it for almost the same price anyway! $300 back in my pocket.

I'm getting ready to head out to Costco in a few to get the 65" version of the Sony X900h. It's on sale for $969 thru today. I like the X950h but don't want to blow my budget. This will be a huge upgrade for me as it will be replacing a 40"dynex 1080p cheapo. Can't wait. 

• Like 1

Time for a tv upgrade over the next few months. Is my best bet to wait for Black Friday/Holiday deals? I want a high quality TV that I will be happy with for long term but also don’t want to totally break the bank

On 10/22/2020 at 8:33 AM, Hawks64 said:

Yep, I don't have the wheels on mine. Really the only option for me based on where it's at in the room. Too far out to use a wall mount and because of the center channel can't use the feet.

ETA you're able to raise or lower the mount in ~6" increments IIRC. It was a bit of a pain to get the correct height but overall I think it works.

Dumb question. Why didn't you just put the tv on the furniture

Edited by belljr

8 minutes ago, belljr said:

Dumb question. Why didn't you just put the tv on the furniture

If it's a 75" TV, it takes a pretty big piece of furniture to hold it. This solution opens the door to a lot more selection for the stand.