What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Penn State Coach Bill O'Brien to HC Texans Done (1 Viewer)

So who else did they interview and comply with the Rooney Rule?

I'm surprised with Bob Stoops saying he would go to the NFL, that he isn't being considered for the Texans.

Last edited by a moderator:
So who else did they interview and comply with the Rooney Rule?

I'm surprised with Bob Stoops saying he would go to the NFL, that he isn't being considered for the Texans.
I think they were just too soon too quick to hire for Stoops to get involved. Most of all I think they wanted O'Brien.

I wouldn't be surprised if Stoops coaches Dallas.

The local news had some of Jerry's interview yesterday after the game-he did not give direct answers about Jason and I didn't in anyway feel the same as the articles written today. He even went out of his way to say this isn't the time and place, not now(angry after a loss) etc.

I know OU people and no one had any guesses today. The only intriguing thing I learned contacting them was he wants to bring some of his staff because he feels they are the best scouts in football-any level. OU(and many big time college programs) is great at recruiting so I can't say I disagree. Pros are different, but do the same evaluations work? I found this to be very interesting the more I thought of it.

The only pro coach I know that wouldn't agree to coach a team unless the scouting was overhauled was Marvin Lewis. That was kind of different but still I am intrigued by this concept. It's not "my guys" the players, but "my guys" the scouts and he wasn't saying he needed to be GM either.

Anyhow this is an O'Brien thread

Phenix said:
Schefter just said on ESPN that they are not exactly close on a deal but hoping to get it done this week.....stay tuned.
This is why we wait to not post stupid threads like this.
This thread is bad.....its at the bottom, but it will rise like a Phoenix and be the best ever.

Since they are working on the contract, and prying Bill OBrien away from PSU has been tough to do.....I thought it was significant.

Phenix must be taking real exception to this thread as I see this like 4-5 times already:

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Phenix. View it anyway?

ETA: not sure how it will turn out, but I think the Houston job is probably the best one available. If O'Brien can get the QB situation figured out I think it can be a pretty quick rebuild.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Bill O'Brien to the Texans news...

Except it is eerily quiet and no news down here so far today....

Phenix said:

There is no news, thats my point, this is nothing but hearsay at this point.

A bunch of mumbo jumbo to get through the Rooney rule and to get other coaches interested.
I certainly agree that it is hearsay at this point. I keep checking around to see if there are any new reports to be found. Last I heard was what I posted earlier from Adam Schefter....that a deal wasnt exactly close but hoped to be worked out this week sometime.

Im still optimistic but until more reports come out and are updated nothing is truly set in stone. It's possible for one of these other teams to jump in and this whole thing to fall apart as well. I'm not trying to argue semantics about this thread with you guys, just report anything I hear because I have access to 4 local sports radio stations and work is boring as hell.

Phenix said:

A bunch of mumbo jumbo to get through the Rooney rule and to get other coaches interested.
The Texans interviewed Lovie smith before Bill O'Brien...just so we have a fact or two in this mess y'all created.

Phenix said:

The Texans interviewed Lovie smith before Bill O'Brien...just so we have a fact or two in this mess y'all created.
Indeed, I also said they are interviewing others and may use it as a negotiation tactic to peak other coaches interest.

Phenix said:

Indeed, I also said they are interviewing others and may use it as a negotiation tactic to peak other coaches interest.
Peak like on a graph? A mountain peak?

This Penix guy is a real gem huh? Nice to know he can add value to every thread he is in...

(The ... In THIS case is to cover any missed periods by others on these boards)

On a serious note I hate it as a PSU fan that it's a very real possibility that Greg a hole Schiano could be their next Head Coach. I will blame O'Brien for that.

Jesus, what a ####show this thread has become.

Franklin out of Vamderbilt seems to be the other name that keeps popping up as a replacement ar PSU.

Franklin out of Vamderbilt seems to be the other name that keeps popping up as a replacement ar PSU.
Can u give me a little background on Franklin? I know next to nothing about him but I'm of the opinion that Schiano is a tool so anybody not named Schiano seems like a better idea.

Can u give me a little background on Franklin? I know next to nothing about him but I'm of the opinion that Schiano is a tool so anybody not named Schiano seems like a better idea.
41-years-old. They say he's committed to being a college coach. He's energetic and loves to travel the country and recruit. He beat Florida and Georgia this year, for what that's worth.

He's got PA ties. Grew up amd went to college in the Philadelphia area.

41-years-old. They say he's committed to being a college coach. He's energetic and loves to travel the country and recruit. He beat Florida and Georgia this year, for what that's worth.He's got PA ties. Grew up amd went to college in the Philadelphia area.
Thank you!! Some relevant info here!!

41-years-old. They say he's committed to being a college coach. He's energetic and loves to travel the country and recruit. He beat Florida and Georgia this year, for what that's worth.He's got PA ties. Grew up amd went to college in the Philadelphia area.
Thank you!! Some relevant info here!!
They also say that he's quickly climbing the ranks. I've heard that Texas is another school conaidering him.

Here, everyone can enjoy their New Year's now:

@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN from me and @mortreport: Bill O'Brien has reached agreement to become the new head coach of the Houston Texans, per sources.

Sources: Texans to hire Bill O'Brien
Updated: December 31, 2013, 10:22 PM ET
ESPN.com news servicesPenn State's Bill O'Brien has reached an agreement to become the new coach of the Houston Texans, according to league sources.

The deal is expected to be announced no later than Saturday.

O'Brien, a protege of Patriots coach Bill Belichick, left New England two years ago to take over Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal.

Despite a bowl ban and relaxed transfer rules that allowed players to leave Penn State without delay, the Nittany Lions went 15-9 under O'Brien, including 10-6 in the Big Ten.

The Texans fired Gary Kubiak Dec. 6.
ESPN

There seemed to be particular frustration with the political side of being a college coach, the glad-handing and recruiting that takes up more time than the football. Trying to manage that at a place wracked by the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and the legions of fans beholden to former coach Joe Paterno, was a line O’Brien tired of walking.

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a —- what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program,” he said. “I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now. . . .

“I’m trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty —-ing sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it’s skewed as an excuse. And I’m not an excuse-maker. I’m trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That’s all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I’m the head football coach here.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/01/bill-obrien-grew-frustrated-with-penn-state-politics/

There seemed to be particular frustration with the political side of being a college coach, the glad-handing and recruiting that takes up more time than the football. Trying to manage that at a place wracked by the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and the legions of fans beholden to former coach Joe Paterno, was a line OBrien tired of walking.

You can print this: You can print that I dont really give a - what the Paterno people think about what I do with this program, he said. Ive done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. Im tired of it.

For any Paterno person to have any objection to what Im doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now. . . .

Im trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty -ing sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, its skewed as an excuse. And Im not an excuse-maker. Im trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. Thats all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as Im the head football coach here.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/01/bill-obrien-grew-frustrated-with-penn-state-politics/
I think this article does a better job of putting what he said into perspective:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html

On Dec. 4, I was returning from Penn States mens basketball game at Pitt when I had a 20-minute phone conversation with Bill OBrien, who was himself driving on what he said was a recruiting trip.

It was then that I had a pretty good idea he might not be the head football coach at Penn State much longer. Because he told me so.

I was not at liberty to quote him then because the dialogue was agreed upon to remain strictly off the record. But it was clear to me when the call ended that OBriens incongruous two-year marriage with Penn State was in jeopardy.

I initiated the conversation the day before on the way to Pittsburgh with the intention of interpreting the reasons for assistant coach Ron Vanderlindens departure from the program. OBrien was very guarded about those reasons, repeatedly using non sequiturs and clichés in place of rationale. Meanwhile, Vanderlinden politely but firmly refused to talk about it, either. It sounded like a human-resources deal, both having agreed not to speak publicly.

I ended up ferreting out the most logical reasoning I could and wrote a subsequent column about it that both parties seemed satisfied with. I learned a while ago that if two opposite principals in a disagreement are unwilling to speak about its evolution or resolution, its best to discard any tangential interpretations from various third parties and leave it alone.

What I did confirm that day instead was how frustrated OBrien seemed to be at Penn State. I grew to like the guy over two years because his personality is one I can understand. Like me, he tends toward boil-overs with multiple and often comical strings of F-bombs. While some people dont understand that type of behavior, I think such venting is healthy as long as it doesnt verbally abuse anyone. And OBrien wasnt venting at me, just to me.

Some of his frustrations revolved around what he saw as the lack of leadership at Penn State and his desire simply to fulfill his job description as the football coach, not university figurehead. I wrote about this a few days ago when I thought the time was apt.

Now you could argue that someone earning $3.6 million annually, more than three times the salary of anyone else at the school, has pretty much agreed to become a university spokesman in addition to simply a coach. But considering that the role of politician and glad-hander is one he abhors, OBrien actually did a fairly decent job of that, too. I mean, Iowas Kirk Ferentz makes more; in comparison, is he a riveting public personality?

OBriens ire also was raised that day by my suggestion that a faction of Joe Paterno-era loyalists seemed to me to be miffed by Vanderlindens departure or dismissal, depending upon their view, and that they might want some sort of explanation. The former linebackers coach had been the second-longest-tenured member of the staff, dating to 2000, one of only two remaining staff members hired by the legendary coach. This really got OBrien going:

You can print this: You can print that I dont really give a ---- what the Paterno people think about what I do with this program. Ive done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. Im tired of it.

For any Paterno person to have any objection to what Im doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.

He was just getting started:

Im trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty ----ing sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, its skewed as an excuse. And Im not an excuse-maker. Im trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. Thats all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as Im the head football coach here.

I didnt add exclamation marks where they could have been applied. Otherwise, it might look like something a fan texts after a frustrating loss with strings of them (!!!!).

I didnt print the quote right away, either. I did him a favor there. I thought it reflected momentary rage that I had partially induced from my own perception and it wasnt quite fair.

But now that OBrien has left and people want to know why, I think it makes sense to print it. It helps explain.

Anyway, I was already a bit stunned because the bombshell had come a few seconds earlier when OBrien said, off-the-record: Thats why, in probably about a month, theyre gonna be ----ing looking for a new coach.

I just let him go after that and listened. Near the end of the call, when hed settled down, I asked, Youre not really leaving, are you? And he replied, Im not leaving.

I mentioned that quote in a column a few days ago. But now you know the context I couldnt tell you and why I never really believed his assurance.

A few minutes after we hung up, O'Brien texted me: "Thank you for listening." I guess venters know how to let venters vent.

So, with all this unloaded, is it more accurate to say OBrien is running from Penn State or running toward the Houston Texans? I think its the latter. Hes made no secret that the NFL is his destination. He adores the pro game, the purity of it, without the university politics and pretense of the college version. And this is the time to get there.

OBrien parachuted into an insane situation of which he could not fully know the context or ramifications. Really, neither did the people who hired him. No one could have known NCAA President Mark Emmerts plans for executive decree and the sanctions that followed. It was all unprecedented and blindsided everyone.

Considering all the unknowns he juggled and the hand he was dealt, its a borderline miracle that Penn State went 15-9 during his tenure. And he probably fretted that he was one Christian Hackenberg injury from going 4-8 next season and maybe not getting nearly so many NFL bites in December 2014.

Now part of that miracle was due to a lot of players deciding to stick with OBrien when they could have transferred without even sitting out a year, per NCAA order. For a moment there, the players had the power and the clout, and the million-dollar coach had to beg to them a real switch on the norm of major-college athletics. Almost all of them stayed. But the few who didnt had every right to leave. I said that then, and what youre seeing now is why.

The ones who did stay? They did it not just for each other but for OBrien. Hackenberg, for one, could have gone to Alabama. Now, OBriens bolting on them. Suddenly, they have, um... no leadership. As always in the rich, character-building landscape we call revenue-sport athletics, it's the kids left holding the bag. No revenue in there for them but there is a nice slice of franchise pizza for the bus ride.

I wont stand in judgment of anyone here because the whole crazy situation is so pretzel-twisted and unique that there are really no easy moral standards to follow. Ill just say that any underclass Penn State players who decide they are angry with OBrien now certainly have the right. But that should be their call, no one elses.

What I can say with some certainty is that, as perfect as Bill OBrien was to lead Penn States football program at the time of his arrival, its now clear to me that its time for him to move on.

The man from Massachusetts left Penn States football program in a much better place than where it was two years ago. His status as an outsider was exactly what the program and the place needed.

Now it might be time for more stability and maybe an inch or two back toward its roots. It also might be a good time to find a new Penn State president who's not just a replacement in time for Rod Erickson's scheduled retirement but one who can be a dynamic figurehead of the university. You know, instead of a football coach.

This was never OBriens destination job. He came at the height of a 100-year storm and somehow kept the house intact.

Now that the skies appear to be clearing, maybe someone can come to Penn State to call it a home. And really mean it.

Does anyone have any observations on O'Brien's offenses at Penn State or his involvement in NE which might tell us what to expect from the Texans' offense this year?

Does anyone have any observations on O'Brien's offenses at Penn State or his involvement in NE which might tell us what to expect from the Texans' offense this year?
Loves to run. Loves FBs. Loves multiple TEs. Loves big QBs with a bit of running ability (not designed running Qbs, but will incorporate some bootlegs and misdirection). Tends to lean on one Wr.

All in all, probably won't change much from a fantasy perspective. THe same guys will eat.

Users who are viewing this thread