What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (3 Viewers)

Why all the panic? The Freeman owner in 1 of my dynasty leagues told me he would not trade him to me unless I gave him Fournette LOL

Seems like a great buy low candidate.  The Falcons running game woes are becoming a ‘thing’.

i can see the offense taking steps to over correct.  Plus, if Julio dealing with a high ankle sprain, they’ll need to lean on run game more

This guy is killing me. Traded Gurley for Antonio straight up because I have him and Ingram and needed help at WR. And of course this week I'm playing the person I traded with 2 weeks ago...

Devonta Freeman leaves game with concussion Thomas Davis says he suffered week before

Devonta Freeman was ruled out of a gameSunday against the Cowboys after taking a big hit from linebacker Anthony Hitchens, and the Falcons running back was placed in the NFL’s concussion protocol. However, Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis, following the game while preparing for his team’s Monday night contest, made an interesting claim about Freeman.

“The Hitchens hit didn’t knock Freeman out,” Davis said on Twitter. “He was concussed in our game last week and should’ve been taken out. Scary site [sic] but praying he’s good though.”

- - - 

No bueno, if true.   3 concussions in 4 months could put Freeman’s season in doubt.  Guy’s been frustrating enough as it is. 

Woah, first I'm seeing this. Lots of questionable stuff going on with regards to concussion protocol. Noticed Brissett was apparently put in concussion protocol, went back into the game and then went back in protocol again. Russell Wilson darting from the tent before it even hit the ground comes to mind, too. NFL needs to figure this #### out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness, the point - and problem - of the concussion protocol is that it's not really possible to identify a concussion by sight.  In that sense, I'll take Davis' comments with a grain of salt.  Certainly it sounds like there was ample reason for Freeman to come out of the Carolina game at that juncture, but to speculate that he was concussed at that moment is speculation, nothing more.

A few articles on line suggesting that Freeman is going to miss multiple weeks...just awful with all these injuries. 

My selfish side is - just traded for him in fantasy for Demarco Murray...ugh!

Love this guy but he's been killing me since week 3.

Zero TD's and hasn't hit 100 combined yards for the past 6 weeks.

Is he expected to miss multiple weeks because it was a hit that resulted in a loss of consciousness? Because I know the UFC requires at least 4 weeks of recovery for a KO. 

He's done. Can't be trusted. He's edging close to Jordan Reed territory with all the concussions. 
Freeman was hit directly in the head on a helmet-to-helmet hit.  Unless he is somehow more susceptible to sustaining helmet-to-helmet hits (which RBs probably are as a whole, at least), I'm not sure what evidence we have that he is more likely to be concussed than another player.

Devonta Freeman - RB - Falcons

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Devonta Freeman (concussion) is unlikely to play Week 11 against the Seahawks.

Freeman suffered his second concussion of the season on Sunday, so the Falcons are going to take it slow with their star running back. Even so, Schefter does not expect Freeman to miss multiple games. Tevin Coleman ran for 83 yards and a score with Freeman sidelined against the Cowboys. Even in a tough matchup in Seattle, Coleman will be a borderline RB1 if Freeman sits.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 13 - 11:18 AM

Freeman was hit directly in the head on a helmet-to-helmet hit.  Unless he is somehow more susceptible to sustaining helmet-to-helmet hits (which RBs probably are as a whole, at least), I'm not sure what evidence we have that he is more likely to be concussed than another player.
This is my very amateur opinion based on seeing my son go through concussion protocol twice.  What the doctors I saw told me was the more times you have a concussion (as this is more true the closer you are to your last concussion) the more likely you are to be concussed again.  Thus, yes I believe if they rush Freeman through the protocol next week I would give him a higher chance to be concussed than the average RB.

This is my very amateur opinion based on seeing my son go through concussion protocol twice.  What the doctors I saw told me was the more times you have a concussion (as this is more true the closer you are to your last concussion) the more likely you are to be concussed again.  Thus, yes I believe if they rush Freeman through the protocol next week I would give him a higher chance to be concussed than the average RB.
I believe you are correct - the evidence suggests that once someone has a concussion, they are more likely to sustain a concussion in the future.

I didn't mean to suggest that Freeman should play against Seattle or at any other point.  I just hesitate to label any player, particularly a running back, "concussion prone," given that a helmet-to-helmet hit can be interpreted as an essentially random occurrence.  In this case, so many little things had to happen for that one particular encounter to take place.

Freeman may very well experience more concussions in the future, or he may have gone through an unfortunate sequence of hits to the head that might not repeat in the future.

Wow,  just saw the hit.  He tried to get up, had robot arms and a really hard time walking back to the huddle.   

I’m making plans without him.

Someone just dropped Freeman in my competitive league, the owner has won multiple championships and is pretty up to date, I saw in some reports there's a chance he could miss the whole year.

Sitting at #2 WW, claim in, it's too much to pass up.

Someone just dropped Freeman in my competitive league, the owner has won multiple championships and is pretty up to date, I saw in some reports there's a chance he could miss the whole year.

I'm not suggesting you pass on Freeman in this spot - however you should do some research and understand you aren't getting the 2016 D. Freeman.  The ATL offense is down overall and Freeman has been a huge disappointment to date.  Also, the NO, TB, NO playoff schedule doesn't look as good as it once did since NO is a legit defense.  Again, not saying you should pass, just make sure you know what you are getting.

What could anyone possibly basing that on?  I guess he could miss the rest of the year, just like he could play this week.  

if he is DNP all week, i think it's fair to assume a multiweek abscence... and also fair to question whether he regains his 2 to 1 snap advantage over coleman when he does return. If i had ability to get anywhere close to his perceived name value i would be moving him

if he is DNP all week, i think it's fair to assume a multiweek abscence... and also fair to question whether he regains his 2 to 1 snap advantage over coleman when he does return. If i had ability to get anywhere close to his perceived name value i would be moving him
While it's not a good sign, not sure you can say that if they keep him off the field it will be a multi-week absence. I think with the focus on concussions every team is being super careful, as any further jostling is compounding, rather than just incremental. Don't blame the Falcons for playing it very very safe with their starting RB given history.

bb7278 said:

Any more to this?

I haven't seen any reports that he could miss the rest of the season.
Based on various non-official speculation in fantasy circles, no one really knows at this point. It's his 2nd one in 3 months so if he missed 2 weeks the first time that seems like a safe minimum and you would think it might be a little longer which puts us into the FF playoffs.

He was at some event with a picture on twitter wednesday, he looked to be all smiles so at least that's a good sign he's not holed up in a dark room somewhere.

https://twitter.com/devontafreeman/status/931016151571816449

No idea where that "he could miss the rest of the season" report is coming from, but I don't buy it. Haven't seen anything close to that from respectable sources. Agree there's a chance he could miss multiple games. All but ruling him out for MNF at the beginning of the week was the first red flag. Obviously, two concussions in a short span would also lead you to believe the Falcons will treat him with kid gloves. Just hope they wait until he's 100 percent before trotting him back out there. This offense isn't going anywhere. Let him rest and see what a backfield led by Tevin Coleman looks like. He's under contract for '18 and then becomes UFA in '19. Chance to see if he's a lead back in the NFL. 

was nice of sark to give coleman 20 carries in back to back games... maybe he finally got the memo on running the ball?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said he expects RB Devonta Freeman to miss another game before he returns to action. Would mean he'd miss the Tampa Bay game next week. Target to return looks like Minnesota.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said he expects RB Devonta Freeman to miss another game before he returns to action. Would mean he'd miss the Tampa Bay game next week. Target to return looks like Minnesota.
Then, New Orleans, @ Tampa Bay, @ New Orleans for the playoff run. One decent start for when he's projected back, only to worry about the split with Coleman.  Not drop-able, but I wonder if he'll even start for me again this year.

Then, New Orleans, @ Tampa Bay, @ New Orleans for the playoff run. One decent start for when he's projected back, only to worry about the split with Coleman.  Not drop-able, but I wonder if he'll even start for me again this year.
While NO pass defense has been solid, their run defense is mediocre at best. Perine, Aaron Jones, and McCoy have recently average over 5 yards a carry against them, with Jordan Howard putting up a good game against them too.

The split backfield and game script would make me a little nervous, but NO isn't necessarily a bad match-up, in my opinion. Definitely not the good match-up I was hoping for when I traded for Freeman, but not a terrible match-up.

2 dome games and the other in Tampa against a bad defense might suit him well.  Plus, maybe a couple weeks off will give him some fresh legs when the other teams are wearing down along with the fact that they will be playing their butts off for a playoff spot.  Just trying to give some other prospective.  

Users who are viewing this thread